State budget includes law requiring cash sales

In the event anyone was curious how this got kerned into the budget bill,

1688783186710.png

Looks like it got amended in by the Senate, and the House was sleeping or didn't fight for their constituent schools hard enough.

-- -- --

1688783388569.png

It looks like I do now have that right.
I dont mean to sound rude and apologize if I do, but I just don't think the government should be involved in this argument. As someone said earlier, the state should be working on a fair way to finance schools as they were mandated by the voters of Ohio and the courts of Ohio, not on how to pay for someone to go to a football game. That is nothing but control issue which the government should not have.

I dont mean to sound rude and apologize if I do, but I just don't think the government should be involved in this argument. As someone said earlier, the state should be working on a fair way to finance schools as they were mandated by the voters of Ohio and the courts of Ohio, not on how to pay for someone to go to a football game. That is nothing but control issue which the government should not have.
Agree 100% on school funding, but that is hard and this was easy. The only people who should be upset about this are running the companies making the money selling online tickets. Giving customers a choice and possibly saving them money should not be something that gets you up in arms about government overreach. I wish Ticketmaster/Live Nation could get the same treatment.

Agree 100% on school funding, but that is hard and this was easy. The only people who should be upset about this are running the companies making the money selling online tickets. Giving customers a choice and possibly saving them money should not be something that gets you up in arms about government overreach. I wish Ticketmaster/Live Nation could get the same treatment.
Now that we can all get behind

Looks like it wasn't on the Education committee side. Might have been on the Finance committee side, but I'm still having a hard time finding the specific text of the substitute House Bill 33 (the budget bill.)

I did come across this interesting bit.

1688788229056.png

"Removes a provision from the sub bill requiring state institutions of higher education to accept cash for tickets at events and activities sponsored or conducted by that institution where an admission is charged. "

You mean you now want to control how a school not in your district conducts its business? You don't have that right. If they only accept online tickets and you don't like it, don't go.
People still hat the constitutional right to have an opinion. Geeze, put a brown shirt on next time

The only people who should be upset about this are running the companies making the money selling online tickets.

I'm not upset, I just don't like it.

Giving customers a choice and possibly saving them money should not be something that gets you up in arms about government overreach.
So government overreach is OK when it benefits the side you're on? It should bother everyone. It should also bother people that they stick it in a totally unrelated piece of legislation. If it's worth doing (it's not), write it as a standalone bill and debate it on the floor.

There is plenty of grey area. Say a booster club or drama club with budgets separate from the school takes over ticket sales. Then it is the club and not the school that is charging admission. Can they then require an online ticket purchase? If a booster club runs concessions solely from their own budget, do they have to provide a cash option?
A booster club is a separate entity, but if they can charge admission to school events I can too.

A drama club and it's budget is usually not separate from the school.

Commerce is the purview of the government. It's a commercial transaction. As such the government has the ability to regulate.

Commerce is the purview of the government. It's a commercial transaction. As such the government has the ability to regulate.
You're words, while I find them extremely offensive, are not, unfortunately, completely inaccurate.

They are, however, a stretch. US Constitution gives Congress (thru Commerce Clause) ability to regulate commerce with foreign lands, between states & with Indians. That clause has been ba$tardized over the years to now our government is wasting time worrying about high school football tickets.

This is the equivalent of my wife telling me to "be nicer" so I start kissing complete strangers who smile at me.

People still hat the constitutional right to have an opinion. Geeze, put a brown shirt on next timesomeone did
Never said someone cannot have a opinion. Your opinion is cash should be taken at the gate. Your opinion though does not mandate that said school should adhere to that. That is the schools right. If you have not followed, I like using cash, I dont like the state saying what a school with extra curriculars have to to do. That is not their place

Very weak argument. The government does not have the right to tell a private business how to collect the debt they are owed. This should apply to schools as well. All I have been trying to convey, is the fact the state legislature overstepped their authority.

Very weak argument. The government does not have the right to tell a private business how to collect the debt they are owed. This should apply to schools as well. All I have been trying to convey, is the fact the state legislature overstepped their authority.
Public schools are about as far away as private businesses as anything I can think of. Pretty much everything they do is regulated by the state.

What part of the state are you in? I’m in the central district and going into my tenth year officiating and haven’t been paid in cash once. Crazy how different parts of the state can vary so much.
I would say most schools in west central and northwest Ohio pay with checks at the JH,JV, and Varsity games I've done.

A booster club is a separate entity, but if they can charge admission to school events I can too.

A drama club and it's budget is usually not separate from the school.
As someone whose been around different Boosters clubs, you may see collections from different clubs like a Boosters, Lions Legion they may work it and maybe take a donation (usually just Varsity games), and that donation is to a 501c3 usually. But the money goes to the schools athletic department which part of that pays for the officials.

How much money do public schools receive from the state (taxpayers). As a taxpayer and a season ticket holder who also travels to road games and who does not like using my cc to buy H.S. tix with, I am all for this legislation, good job legislature.

No way this should have happened. EXTREME over reach by the legislature. Are they going to require all state schools to accept cash like Ohio State, Cincinnati, the MAC schools? No, they are just picking on the high schools. My guess is some wimpy elected official got their feelings hurt when they tried to attend a game and could not pay in cash... Find a list of those that voted for it, and vote them out of office...