St. Xavier Football 2024

Looking at the Varsity Roster from this year with guys over 6'0" and not current FOOLS......ironically, all saw the field in some fashion this year in their listed positions:
DL #11 Sulfsted 6'5" 240lb
WR #82 Betts 6'3' 175lb
LB #49 Schulte 6'2" 205lb
DB #23 Reilly 6'2" 180lb
DB #15 Reeder 6'2" 190lb
WR #12 Taylor 6'2" 185lb
LB #10 Clapper 6'2" 195lb
QB #7 Herbstreit 6'2" 190lb
QB #3 Vollmer 6'2" 205lb
WR #22 Shamsi 6'1" 195lb​
Does it make sense to move any of these guys from their '23 position to take the reigns at TE next year?

There are three TE listed on the JV Roster (no height or weight provided). I have very little knowledge of any of them.....
TE #81 Owen Hahn
TE #87 Josh Wassler
TE #89 Max Oligee
If you're looking for a spot for Shamsi and he isn't excelling to break starting lineup at a WR spot then why not try him at the TE spot...unless he lacks the physicality to play the spot

If you're looking for a spot for Shamsi and he isn't excelling to break starting lineup at a WR spot then why not try him at the TE spot...unless he lacks the physicality to play the spot
I'm not specifically looking at any of them - just circulating potential candidates based on the most current roster.
Shamsi looks the part but I'm not sure of his blocking capabilities. He has been in the WR group upon his arrival to North Bend - following in his older brother's footsteps.
To your point, what's the harm in giving him a shot if he isn't at the top of the WR group for next year? That said, I would rank him as one of the top receivers next year.

Looking at the Varsity Roster from this year with guys over 6'0" and not current FOOLS......ironically, all saw the field in some fashion this year in their listed positions:
DL #11 Sulfsted 6'5" 240lb
WR #82 Betts 6'3' 175lb
LB #49 Schulte 6'2" 205lb
DB #23 Reilly 6'2" 180lb
DB #15 Reeder 6'2" 190lb
WR #12 Taylor 6'2" 185lb
LB #10 Clapper 6'2" 195lb
QB #7 Herbstreit 6'2" 190lb
QB #3 Vollmer 6'2" 205lb
WR #22 Shamsi 6'1" 195lb​
Does it make sense to move any of these guys from their '23 position to take the reigns at TE next year?I don'

There are three TE listed on the JV Roster (no height or weight provided). I have very little knowledge of any of them.....
TE #81 Owen Hahn
TE #87 Josh Wassler
TE #89 Max Oligee
TR1982 posted that Betz was used as TE on JV and I think he was McDonald's favorite target
I listed him as WR based on 6'1" 181lb.
I don't remember the 3 TEs listed above having many receptions.

Laughed at the thought of moving #7 to TE though

I didn't see any JV games this year to know one way or another on those listed as TE.
Betz would be up for consideration especially if he got reps at TE on JV.
Laughed at the thought of moving #7 to TE though
I was operating within the premise that the position needed to be over the 6'0" mark - he fit within the filter.
For the record, I did chuckle as I typed it.
So dropping #7 off the list, anyone else stick out as a candidate to vacate their listed position to be in the running for TE??

So what you're saying is no JV lineman will grow and improve over the course of the year and none of them will compete for any positions next year? Got it. You and LBL act like I said he was the starting center next year, lock it in.
With a growth spurt and a great off season in the weight room and at the dinner table all the sophomores have a chance next year.
The junior backups on varsity, even though they didn't play in games, got a lot of reps in practice against varsity level DLinemen.
Makes a huge difference and historically at X it is a "work hard and wait your turn" approach for linemen.

Regarding OLine at StX here is interesting stat.....
In the past 25 years there have been 10 players to start on the OLine as sophomores: Grant Hester, Tucker Kattus, Cam Collins (Air Force), Brian Parker (Duke), Jack Kirby (Penn), Paris Johnson (Ohio State), Matt Bockhorst (Clemson), Brandyn Cook (Miami), Matt James (Notre Dame) and Kyle Ralph (North Carolina)

I think he's a candidate as well.....he was looked at in the Marvel packages and was used as blocking TE on occasion

I didn't see any JV games this year to know one way or another on those listed as TE.
Betz would be up for consideration especially if he got reps at TE on JV.

I was operating within the premise that the position needed to be over the 6'0" mark - he fit within the filter.
So dropping #7 off the list, anyone else stick out as a candidate to vacate their listed position to be in the running for TE??
I posted in the basketball thread about John Veith playing TE frosh year but not playing this year.
He looked really good at TE but it was the frosh level.
Guess he's focused on basketball just like Jake Wassler
Would have liked to have those 2 as TEs this and next season

I'd be interested to see 82 move in as a possible TE, but he'd need to put some extra pounds on, though he is a willing blocker. I can see him in that Stephon Ball type.

The obvious solution to me is to move Vollmer there. Has a good frame for the position, is physical, can catch, can run after catch. Would be a nightmare matchup for a lot of linebackers in space. Could still be used on jets, screens, and chip and leak out routes from that spot.

StX 2024 TEs
The only varsity TE candidates in the program (Sulfsted and Reilly) start on defense
After week 5 I saw more 2 way players at X than ever before (Hammond, Clapper, Seymour, Sulfsted, Folke and Beck)
Using Sulfsted and Reilly next year both ways is not out of the question.
Vollmer, Clapper and Seymour could also be candidates for playing both ways next year

I'd be interested to see 82 move in as a possible TE, but he'd need to put some extra pounds on, though he is a willing blocker. I can see him in that Stephon Ball type.

The obvious solution to me is to move Vollmer there. Has a good frame for the position, is physical, can catch, can run after catch. Would be a nightmare matchup for a lot of linebackers in space. Could still be used on jets, screens, and chip and leak out routes from that spot.
Vollmer is one of about a half dozen wildcards....guys who could play multiple positions and both sides of the ball (see above post)

Playing lacrosse in the spring does set him back with regard to QB position.
Spring is a great time for QBs and WRs to workout and get a jump on the season......timing, playbook, conditioning, mechanics etc

I can think of 2 former Bomber football players that could have played college football but chose lacrosse
Max Bonner (sophomore at Michigan) and Connor Buczek who played at Cornell and is now their head coach

I know, but all the Herbie haters were cheering....anything but QB lol
TE wishlist
1. With the old basketball coach gone, both Jake Wassler and John Veith decide it's ok to play football again
2. Sulfsted and Reilly are given the green light to play both ways
3. Per BomberinMonroe: Vollmer makes a position change
4. Someone else has a growth spurt and pops up to 6'3" or better and 225lb plus.....like Shamsi or one of the JV or frosh players

So what you're saying is no JV lineman will grow and improve over the course of the year and none of them will compete for any positions next year? Got it. You and LBL act like I said he was the starting center next year, lock it in.
What I was saying is the center play was far from solid, based on what I saw on ESPX and in person over the past two years. What they say, film don't lie.

Growth and improvement are another discussion all in itself, which can have a major influence on opportunities and PT. Separates the men from the boys at St X.

I know, but all the Herbie haters were cheering....anything but QB lol

TE wishlist
1. With the old basketball coach gone, both Jake Wassler and John Veith decide it's ok to play football again
4. Someone else has a growth spurt and pops up to 6'3" or better and 225lb plus.....like Shamsi or one of the JV or frosh players
Few JV games I watched on ESPX and one live at Elder, a TE was barely ever used.

Also, found it odd the JV's offense wasn't even close to being in step with varsity. No TE or double TE sets, QB never under center, and QB constantly rolling out and bootlegs.

The significant amount of two-way time I saw this past season was alarming. That's a major ask at St X (a lot of snaps), especially if you are in the trenches on D and constantly blocking on O.

TE wishlist
I would say this is a HUGE wish - I'm talking the size of asking for a pony, RedRider BBGun, both gaming systems and a trip to Barbados for Christmas. Both of them play AAU and would be hard pressed to come back to football - especially when their futures seem to be destined for college hoops careers.
Might gain some traction with Sulfsted. It would come down to whether or not Marvel makes the playbook next year.
I don't know that Reilly can put on the weight to have it make sense to move him from the secondary
Makes sense and could happen if he is willing to throw in the towel on the QB aspirations. Not sure the program will allow that to happen.
Who amongst the working list of filtered candidates has the potential to grow and pack on some #s to take on the role?
  • DL #11 Sulfsted 6'5" 240lb
    • Size and ability is there. Just need the green light to go both ways
  • WR #82 Betts 6'3' 175lb
    • He would need to set himself up for some long sessions at the dinner table for some serious calorie intake. Not sure he will want to leave the WR position to move to TE.
  • LB #49 Schulte 6'2" 205lb
    • Good growth potential. His playing volleyball would certainly lend itself for some good hands. Definitely has the frame to block. Not sure it makes sense to move him out of the LB fraternity given his defensive experience.
  • DB #23 Reilly 6'2" 180lb
    • Bulking up a little more would put him in a better position to line up as TE but not sure his services aren't better served in the secondary on defense. I see him as one of the pillars to the defense next year.
  • DB #15 Reeder 6'2" 190lb
    • Has the frame to add the weight as well as the potential to be a hardnosed blocker. Run after catch would be strong.
  • WR #12 Taylor 6'2" 185lb
    • Not sure he can put on the pounds to justify the move from WR position. Certainly has the speed and the hands. Not sure on his blocking
  • LB #10 Clapper 6'2" 195lb
    • He makes an impact no matter where you put him. He certainly has the body composition for TE. I think he stays the course on D as he would be the second pillar on defense
  • QB #7 Herbstreit 6'2" 190lb
    • We've discussed this already.......
  • QB #3 Vollmer 6'2" 205lb
    • see comments above in response to Wishlist Item #3
  • WR #22 Shamsi 6'1" 195lb
    • Tough kid that could certainly hit hard. Has the hands to catch that quick pass and move the ball. Not sure he strays from WR position as he should be one of the top receivers next year assuming the pass game materializes.
It's wide open with the JV and Frosh squad as I would hope all of them do some growing and bulking up for the next level

My top five candidates from the above list would be Reeder, Schulte, Shamsi, Sulfsted & Vollmer.

Great summary
Makes me realize how much talent is in next year's senior and junior classes,
A sophomore is going to have to be really special to crack the starting lineup.

Regarding the TE position - do any long time Bomber fans remember TE Alex Longi?
He was a 4 year basketball player who decided to play football his senior year (2009)
He was 6'3" 200lb and turned out to be a heckuva a TE
He was Luke Massa's favorite target and 2nd team GCL.
So maybe Wassler and or Veith could do the same
The one difference is they have already played football at StX so maybe they have already had their fill.

Hopefully all of the QB candidates have a great off season (work out with Coach Pike etc) and Coverdale has multiple options from which to choose. I am curious about Jack Ryan the sophomore pitcher who pitched on varsity last season. A lot of former Bomber QBs were exceptional pitchers in the spring

Jack Ryan - isn't he the main protagonist in the Tom Clancy novels and films ? Kidding aside, I saw him play basketball last year. As a freshman, I believe he was playing up on JV at least in some games. He is a strong and aggressive kid. There's probably room for him somewhere on the football field.

Jack Ryan - isn't he the main protagonist in the Tom Clancy novels and films ? Kidding aside, I saw him play basketball last year. As a freshman, I believe he was playing up on JV at least in some games. He is a strong and aggressive kid. There's probably room for him somewhere on the football field.
Says to me that he's not solely focused on baseball and could be open to playing football.
Not many basketball-baseball-football players at X these days.
Just checked his baseball stats last year playing varsity as a frosh.....28 hits and a 0.354 batting average and he pitched the most innings of any pitcher (39) and struck out 45 batters. Crazy good for a frosh.
Anyone know if Ryan played football in grade school?

Says to me that he's not solely focused on baseball and could be open to playing football.
Just checked his baseball stats last year playing varsity as a frosh.....28 hits and a 0.354 batting average and he pitched the most innings of any pitcher (39) and struck out 45 batters. Crazy good for a frosh.
Anyone know if Ryan played football in grade school?
He did not in grade school and slim to no chance of playing HS football. His level of "summer" baseball extends thru August and a few showcases down south in the fall. Would be a great TE ....

I count 2...Andrew Weber and Brady McDonald
McDonald (6'1" 180lb) could play either side of the ball and anywhere but the line and CB
Would like to see him first challenge for the starting QB position.
If not top 2 QBs then TE/WR on offense or LB/Safety on defense.
Probably could weigh @200lbs by spring

Fixed it thanks.

Do you think any of the current freshmen (Walker, DiBatista, VonHolle, Tiefenbach) could be ready as sophomores?
2016 was the last season that a sophomore did not crack the varsity starting lineup
Von Holle listed at 6'2" 170lb on freshman basketball roster.
That's good size, and he displayed good speed and hands in frosh games.
Could challenge for varsity TE/WR position depending on off season development

Offensively I think the OLine and RB positions are established.
The battles will be at the QB and receiver positions (WRs/TEs) and there are a several candidates
QB: Herbstreit, Soloria, Vollmer, McDonald, Johnston, Cline and George
WR/TE: Taylor, Betts, Shamsi, Staderman, Betz, Sulfsted, Reilly, Vollmer, Walker, DiBatista, VonHolle, Tiefenbach

QBs: Herbstreit, Soloria, Vollmer, McDonald, Johnston, Kline and George
Herbstreit: had a promising sophomore season but disappointing junior season...could use a growth spurt and mechanics adjustment, does he switch offseason QB coach (Denny Thompson of 6 Points in Jacksonville FL) to improve, especially motion and release speed?
Soloria: QB on frosh and JV, served as scout team QB as junior, good athlete
Vollmer: strong arm, needs time in film room and studying playbook and play reps, after LAX season will he work with QB coach?
McDonald: 3 sport athlete, likely 2 year varsity starter, needs to find a position junior season and get reps
The sophomores will be developing on JV: Charlie Johnston (5'10" 160lb), Cam Kline (5'10" 140lb) and Thomas George (6'0" 150lb)

WR/TE: Taylor, Betts, Shamsi, Staderman, Betz, Sulfsted, Reilly, Vollmer, Walker, DiBattista, VonHolle, Tiefenbach
Cam Taylor Jr. 6’1” 175lb top returning varsity receiver, as sophomore 18 catches for 203 yards
Simeon Betts Sr. 6’1” 170lb has talent, size, speed; was top receiver in preseason then disappeared (see Jamal Sharp junior year)
Hayden Shamsi Sr. 6’0” 170lb good possession receiver, possible transition to TE
Chase Staderman Sr. 5'9" 155lb slot receiver
August Betz Jr. 6’1” 181lb JV top receiver, good size with potential to grow into varsity TE by next fall
Gordy Sulfsted Sr. 6'5" 235lb was top receiver in 7 on 7s last year, only used on offense as blocker in Marvel packages
Brayden Reilly Jr. 6'2" 180lb played receiver as frosh, full time defensive secondary but could see spot action on offense
Dan Vollmer Jr. 6'2" 205lb off season focus and growth on and off field of play will likely determine role junior year
Alex Walker So. 5'11" 165lb top frosh WR, talented, also runs track, good size, could be varsity ready as a sophomore
Anthony DiBattista So. 5'8" 150lb slot receiver, good yards after the catch, fast and shifty, likely JV next year
Logan VonHolle So. 6'2" 170lb good size, also plays basketball, could be varsity ready depending on development
Wilson Tiefenbach So. 6'1" 180lb TE material, likely on JV next season

Vollmer is one of about a half dozen wildcards....guys who could play multiple positions and both sides of the ball (see above post)

Playing lacrosse in the spring does set him back with regard to QB position.
Spring is a great time for QBs and WRs to workout and get a jump on the season......timing, playbook, conditioning, mechanics etc

I can think of 2 former Bomber football players that could have played college football but chose lacrosse
Max Bonner (sophomore at Michigan) and Connor Buczek who played at Cornell and is now their head coach

Luke Vrsansky could easily played college football at the FCS or in a conference like the MAC. But when you are that good on the Lacrosse field his decision to attend AFA made a lot of sense.

StX needs to WRs with Speed and Size. There are a couple kids listed above who no doubt elite athletes. I said at the beginning of this season the offense was missing speed at the WR position. They had one WR who had the speed but struggled to consistently catch the ball.

No, but that was the most recent I watched on ESPX. Also took in the Elder JV game at The Pit live, some other games on ESPX, and few Freshman games last year. The false starts, slow shotgun snaps, and lack of physicality at the center position was glaring. That doesn't translate well to the varsity level, especially at St X.
Pretty sure the Center just got an offer from Missouri. The OL was the best group on the offense most of the season. The offense lacked consistent QB play and WRs who could not consistently get separation.

Pretty sure the Center just got an offer from Missouri. The OL was the best group on the offense most of the season. The offense lacked consistent QB play and WRs who could not consistently get separation.
Post was concerning "JV" center play, not varsity. LT got the offer from Mizzou.