St. Xavier Basketball 2022/2023

The initial post from @JElder wasn't that far off base. He's a good high school player. He's not a D1 prospect. Very similar to many very good HS players from the GCL that didn't have the size and speed to go D1.

D1 talent without the D1 size. I don't know his speed. JElder was more off base than you would like to admit.

D1 talent without the D1 size.
LOL - size and speed are literally the first deal breakers for D1.

D1 talent sticks out. He was a good player and a good athlete, but didn't jump off the page in any sport. What were his obvious D1 characteristics?

Yeah I know, you probably know his dad from back in the day, and this is what Elder people do. If they have any personal knowledge or relationship with the kid, he automatically gets a bump up in their eyes. But it's more bias than reality. If he was a certified D1 talent, we wouldn't be sitting here on April 3rd of his Senior year still wondering where he's going. D1 is likely daddy's dream more than the kid's anyway. He likely also brokered the relationship with someone he knows at UK as well.

In saying that, good luck to the kid. UK is a good school.

Last edited:
D1 talent without the D1 size. I don't know his speed. JElder was more off base than you would like to admit.
I guess I was a little off but his one D1 offer was Army for football. Which is a great accomplishment but if we are being real it's because of his grades and off the filed traits along with on the field ability. We were also talking about Weber being a D1 athlete in the basketball forum. He averaged 6ppg and shot 36% from 3 as a 5'10 guard. I think some of you people have lost your mind on what a true D1 athlete is.

Having said all that he was a very good high school football player and an average basketball player. I'm glad he's getting a chance to continue playing at UK as non scholarship player.

Good points, JElder. Weber sounds like a kid who will be successful in life. Doing well academically, playing three sports, good kid off the field, good family support structure, etc. Plus, Mark Stoops at UK may be offering Weber (even non-scholarship) as a means of entry into St. X. to try and land some of the juniors/seniors to-be. I think UK has had limited success in Cincinnati over the years but it has a lot going for it.

Good points, JElder. Weber sounds like a kid who will be successful in life. Doing well academically, playing three sports, good kid off the field, good family support structure, etc. Plus, Mark Stoops at UK may be offering Weber (even non-scholarship) as a means of entry into St. X. to try and land some of the juniors/seniors to-be. I think UK has had limited success in Cincinnati over the years but it has a lot going for it.
FYI- UK FB has had numerous kids from Cincinnati play for them over the past few years- several Moeller guys (Bates, Valentine who is now on the Packers, Kattus) plus some from other schools like Withrow, Anderson, Princeton Winton Woods.