St X at Moeller

I’m still of the opinion DiGiacomo gets another year. As has been referenced, last year’s search already suggested they hired their backup and possibly the backup to their backup. Unless they have a good idea that they can get someone they really want, firing the new coach is only going to make the job appear less attractive.

The timing of the opening last year already suggested administrative dysfunction. The prolonged hiring process said it louder. To then fire the new guy after one year screams dysfunction.

As I partially stated previously, the AD should be making it clear that this season was unacceptable and ask Coach DiGiacomo his plan to change that going forward. The AD may need to make a suggestion or two or even require a change of some sort. It’s then on both of them to move forward, and if it’s unsuccessful, a change is probably necessary next summer.

As for changes, that might mean a new pitching coach. Many of the promising arms didn’t seem to move forward and possibly even regressed. Someone said the previous pitching coach was still involved in some capacity. I can’t verify it currently. Perhaps it’s a matter of seeing if he’s willing to reassume that role.

I don’t know what defensive work was occurring, but the defense was an Achilles heel all year long. Perhaps a new approach is in order. I can’t speak to what relationship Coach DiGiacomo has with Coach Sherlock, but maybe the previous guy would have some ideas on what worked, especially since he’d have some knowledge of the players and facilities available.

I’m fully aware from what occurred this season that it looked likely Coach DiGiacomo wasn’t equipped for the job, but I still think he gets one more season to try to become equipped.
You’re probably right.

They probably should have gone with an interim guy (which even could have been Coach D) when they took so long to hire. That would have given them a better excuse to explore options this year. I do think if they don’t make a move this year you’re just prolonging the inevitable.

It is completely disrespectful to Coach D. He basically coached the same seasonal record as the greatest coach in St X history in 2022. Yet he is observed as being incompetent. Do not understand that thought process.

It is completely disrespectful to Coach D. He basically coached the same seasonal record as the greatest coach in St X history in 2022. Yet he is observed as being incompetent. Do not understand that thought process.
This year’s team was noncompetitive with many supposed rivals and badly regressed within the season when compared to other teams it played. You can focus on our apparent agreement that Coach D will get another year to hopefully show some improvement, or you can continue to try to blame this year’s in-season failures on your axe to grind with a coach who wasn’t even with the program. Your call.

St X has been consistently competing favorably for GCL titles with Moeller and Elder the last 6-7 years. St X and Moeller have each won 2 outright and 1 shared league title in that time, and Elder has shared 1. In tournament, Elder has been the only team to make a state final four (lost in final in 2021) while St X has been to regionals twice and Moeller once. In the eight years prior to the previous coach (that’s as far back as the league page goes), they won one shared and zero outright titles, so if your characterization was about that stretch, I’m inclined to agree.

That’s all well and good, but the bottom line is that coaching staff has moved on. The current staff under Coach DiGiacomo inherited a team that didn’t lose a single player to a D1 baseball roster, lost less than 1/3 of its IP to graduation and replaced more than 2/3 of that with an All League freshman who wasn’t available to last year’s team, returned their best arm and bat, and somehow regressed significantly especially DURING the season, including being blown out in four of the last seven league games (all losses) and both Jesuit Cup games. You can grind an axe about the previous staff for whatever reason, but they’re irrelevant at this point plus they had nothing to do with the in season regression that occurred this year.

The real question is whether this staff is the answer, and as BaseSwimParent acknowledged, they have “little hope”.

St X has been consistently competing favorably for GCL titles with Moeller and Elder the last 6-7 years. St X and Moeller have each won 2 outright and 1 shared league title in that time, and Elder has shared 1. In tournament, Elder has been the only team to make a state final four (lost in final in 2021) while St X has been to regionals twice and Moeller once. In the eight years prior to the previous coach (that’s as far back as the league page goes), they won one shared and zero outright titles, so if your characterization was about that stretch, I’m inclined to agree.

That’s all well and good, but the bottom line is that coaching staff has moved on. The current staff under Coach DiGiacomo inherited a team that didn’t lose a single player to a D1 baseball roster, lost less than 1/3 of its IP to graduation and replaced more than 2/3 of that with an All League freshman who wasn’t available to last year’s team, returned their best arm and bat, and somehow regressed significantly especially DURING the season, including being blown out in four of the last seven league games (all losses) and both Jesuit Cup games. You can grind an axe about the previous staff for whatever reason, but they’re irrelevant at this point plus they had nothing to do with the in season regression that occurred this year.

The real question is whether this staff is the answer, and as BaseSwimParent acknowledged, they have “little hope”.
I am guessing you are a parent and what I am also s

Sir, you keep talking about a roster that supposedly is good. There is no proof of that in terms of performance in any high school season. If Coach D develops a program at X and if he does, it will be the first time that I know of, then talent will have a chance to reach its potential consistently. If he doesn't, then you will know. And no, I don't care what summer program a kid plays on and I don't give a rat's about what PBR says. But I will say this, if X's senior class did not quit on the season or the Coach like the first senior class did under the previous coach, then that is a good sign. And I am telling you, unless Coach D is doing something unethical or immoral, he will get at least two more seasons.

This year’s team was noncompetitive with many supposed rivals and badly regressed within the season when compared to other teams it played. You can focus on our apparent agreement that Coach D will get another year to hopefully show some improvement, or you can continue to try to blame this year’s in-season failures on your axe to grind with a coach who wasn’t even with the program. Your call.
Get a clue. I blamed nothing on last year’s coach. Just comparing the two seasons. 14-12, 3-6 is certainly comparable to 14–14, 2-7. Sorry to offend.

I am guessing you are a parent and what I am also s

Sir, you keep talking about a roster that supposedly is good. There is no proof of that in terms of performance in any high school season. If Coach D develops a program at X and if he does, it will be the first time that I know of, then talent will have a chance to reach its potential consistently. If he doesn't, then you will know. And no, I don't care what summer program a kid plays on and I don't give a rat's about what PBR says. But I will say this, if X's senior class did not quit on the season or the Coach like the first senior class did under the previous coach, then that is a good sign. And I am telling you, unless Coach D is doing something unethical or immoral, he will get at least two more seasons.
Are you still grinding an axe about a senior quitting on his teammates nine years ago?

I can’t say if it was a matter of the players quitting on Coach D or not, but the team started 5-0 and won their first two league games by multi-run margins. In the next seven, they didn’t win a game, only coming within 3 runs once with four of those games against the same Elder and La Salle teams they had earlier beaten. They were outscored 19-1 in two Jesuit Cup losses and had an early tourney exit against a team that had gifted them five unearned runs.

Does that mean they quit on Coach D? You tell me.

Are you still grinding an axe about a senior quitting on his teammates nine years ago?

I can’t say if it was a matter of the players quitting on Coach D or not, but the team started 5-0 and won their first two league games by multi-run margins. In the next seven, they didn’t win a game, only coming within 3 runs once with four of those games against the same Elder and La Salle teams they had earlier beaten. They were outscored 19-1 in two Jesuit Cup losses and had an early tourney exit against a team that had gifted them five unearned runs.

The St. X ALL SPORTS POST SEASON $h!+ show continues. GBM

I have no idea. You are the one griping about a first year coach. Let me spell it out for you. It is not important to the greater ST. X community right now. I wish it was but it isn't. Again, I don't have any axe to grind. I am just telling you, the previous regime had problems connecting with the players. If Coach D doesn't have that problem, then he is ahead of the game. And when I mean quit, I mean not physically showing up. Good luck with your experience. Based on one of my family members experience with him in another sport a long time ago, I expect him to do a good job. But I have been wrong and disappointed before and that experience was a long time ago. Things may have changed. Good Luck. I seriously hope it works out.

I have no idea. You are the one griping about a first year coach. Let me spell it out for you. It is not important to the greater ST. X community right now. I wish it was but it isn't. Again, I don't have any axe to grind. I am just telling you, the previous regime had problems connecting with the players. If Coach D doesn't have that problem, then he is ahead of the game. And when I mean quit, I mean not physically showing up. Good luck with your experience. Based on one of my family members experience with him in another sport a long time ago, I expect him to do a good job. But I have been wrong and disappointed before and that experience was a long time ago. Things may have changed. Good Luck. I seriously hope it works out.
Not a St. X guy myself but definitely want to see things work out. The league is much more fun to follow when it’s competitive, and St. X is the only team to finish ahead of Moeller since 2016.

This year’s team definitely seemed to have the talent, both preseason and early in the season. It felt like as soon as they lost that first game to Moeller after convincing wins against Elder and La Salle, they just weren’t the same team. Every team has a bad day, but they just never seemed to break out of it. It’s also possible the administration knows of issues the team was going through that most of us don’t know about, which is important because they’re the ones that need to decide if the team should continue down the current path.

I think you’re also correct that it’s also a matter of how much the St. X community cares about it. I doubt they’d have much patience with whoever replaces Coach Specht whenever that time comes after a season like this. I also agree with the posters who note they may have trouble finding a quality replacement if they did choose to move on. Let’s just hope whatever decision they make is the right one.