St X at Moeller

Last year was the first year Moeller won the series since 2017 (though St X won the league that year). Both teams have quite a bit of talent from last year. Does Moeller make it two years in a row or does St X return to being the one local team the Crusaders struggle to solve?

Moe is absolutely loaded. I'd be surprised if they lost more than 1 GCL game this year. But, anything can happen in one game.

Last year was the first year Moeller won the series since 2017 (though St X won the league that year). Both teams have quite a bit of talent from last year. Does Moeller make it two years in a row or does St X return to being the one local team the Crusaders struggle to solve?

Moeller hardly struggled. Mayber Bombers should stick with Swimming?

Completely ignorant here, but a serious question. I think I have asked this in the past. How would Badin do against Moeller and the rest of the GCL south teams? I know pitching matchups determine a lot but in general. Would Moeller run-rule them?

The last two times Badin has played the Crusaders 2018/2022 Moeller won 4-3. The Coed schools were required to play the South schools until around the 2008 season as part of their league schedule.

Moeller hardly struggled. Mayber Bombers should stick with Swimming?
2018 St X wins series 2-1
2019 St X wins series 3-0
2020 COVID
2021 St X wins series 2-1

The comment was that they struggled to solve St X and also that they didn’t seem to have that challenge with any other local team. Yesterday’s result suggests they may be putting that behind them.

The last two times Badin has played the Crusaders 2018/2022 Moeller won 4-3. The Coed schools were required to play the South schools until around the 2008 season as part of their league schedule.
2012 was last time the small schools were scheduled to play the South in league games.

2012 was last time the small schools were scheduled to play the South in league games.
In looking at the South website it looks as if the North/Central alternated playing the South as league games until after the 2013 season? Not sure why though.

In looking at the South website it looks as if the North/Central alternated playing the South as league games until after the 2013 season? Not sure why though.
You’re correct. 2013 they played 2 of the South schools. I think it was to cut down on travel.

You’re correct. 2013 they played 2 of the South schools. I think it was to cut down on travel.
I think more than travel in many cases, the issue was mismatches. The South schools are much larger. The top teams in the Co-Ed may provide a competitive game with the South schools and win on occasion, but there’s littlr point in having a team that can’t compete with Badin, Fenwick, and CJ be forced to play against the South schools. Worse yet, when they were league games, it puts an onus on the South schools to start their top guys to ensure their best chance to win.

As optional non-league games, each school can schedule games that should be competitive for their players, and if Moeller plays Badin, Fenwick, or Roger Bacon, maybe now they give a few nonstarters an opportunity.

2018 St X wins series 2-1
2019 St X wins series 3-0
2020 COVID
2021 St X wins series 2-1

The comment was that they struggled to solve St X and also that they didn’t seem to have that challenge with any other local team. Yesterday’s result suggests they may be putting that behind them.
Well, there is a local team they haven’t figured out how to beat since 2015..

Also, for a couple of years recently Badin was D1, so they could have played them in the tourney.
Badin lost to X in the tourney in 2018, 5-0. Lost to Turpin the next year in the district finals. Would have been D1 in 2020 with a loaded pitching staff.

Badin lost to X in the tourney in 2018, 5-0. Lost to Turpin the next year in the district finals. Would have been D1 in 2020 with a loaded pitching staff.
2020 would have been a great year for Baseball in the SWO. West was loaded, East was loaded, X was loaded, Moeller and Mason were good. Anderson was good. Badin was good (a lot of my kid's friends were on that team). So many good players and many of them have just quit playing. It stinks.

Completely ignorant here, but a serious question. I think I have asked this in the past. How would Badin do against Moeller and the rest of the GCL south teams? I know pitching matchups determine a lot but in general. Would Moeller run-rule them?
Badin beat Lasalle 13-0

( Lasalle has lost to moeller 5-3 and 10-0)

Not sure about pitching match ups but there is that result.

Badin plays Elder Next week

Well the teams have obviously gone in different directions since the original post: with two league games to go, Moeller has clinched an outright league title and St X has a losing record and clinched a losing record in the GCL.

Does St X have a shot this coming week? They certainly have the talent to beat Moeller, but they haven’t played like it.

And moving forward is this the year Moeller wins state again? Last was 2015, a while by their standards. They look to have a good chance to lock up the #1 seed for tourney with a couple wins vs X.

And does X get any momentum going heading into tournament and beyond or do they head into the offseason questioning the direction of the program?

Well the teams have obviously gone in different directions since the original post: with two league games to go, Moeller has clinched an outright league title and St X has a losing record and clinched a losing record in the GCL.

Does St X have a shot this coming week? They certainly have the talent to beat Moeller, but they haven’t played like it.

And moving forward is this the year Moeller wins state again? Last was 2015, a while by their standards. They look to have a good chance to lock up the #1 seed for tourney with a couple wins vs X.

And does X get any momentum going heading into tournament and beyond or do they head into the offseason questioning the direction of the program?
The infielders will shortly report for cross country training 👣
The outfielders will begin preparation for swimming 🏊‍♂️
The pitchers and catchers will rejoin the summer chess club ♟️

So goes the X off season training GBM 💪 ⚾

The infielders will shortly report for cross country training 👣
The outfielders will begin preparation for swimming 🏊‍♂️
The pitchers and catchers will rejoin the summer chess club ♟️

So goes the X off season training GBM 💪 ⚾
I guess that’s one vote for going into the off-season questioning the direction of the program.

Badin would be fine in GCL Baseball. LaSalle Lost top notch Coach when Coach Barnes left for College Coaching.

Badin would be fine in GCL Baseball. LaSalle Lost top notch Coach when Coach Barnes left for College Coaching.
Coach Barnes was only at Lasalle for a couple of years mainly for Taylor. Great coach and has done some wonderful things at a couple of GCL schools. However, he was never going to be LaSalle's long term solution. I had heard he was basically a volunteer. The Lancers have a couple of issues. They can't pay much until the school gets its finances in order and the parents can be unreasonable. I agree that Badin would be competitive in he GCL South most years and certainly lately

Coach Barnes was only at Lasalle for a couple of years mainly for Taylor. Great coach and has done some wonderful things at a couple of GCL schools. However, he was never going to be LaSalle's long term solution. I had heard he was basically a volunteer. The Lancers have a couple of issues. They can't pay much until the school gets its finances in order and the parents can be unreasonable. I agree that Badin would be competitive in he GCL South most years and certainly lately
LaSalle finances been discussed for a number of years now. Time to get those finances in order or find people who will? Any Private School that has a Varsity Coach basically being paid so low it’s like volunteering should be ashamed of themselves!

Anybody taking X today? There hasn’t been a sweep in this series since X won all three vs Moeller in 2019. Moeller can change that today.

Moeller sweeps St X

Moeller 8
St. X 3 GBM 💪 ⚾
6 St X errors yesterday and 13 in the 3 games. Moeller had 1 yesterday…and 1 total in 3 games. Sad because these have been great games to attend the last few years regardless of who you supported. Hopefully Coach DiGiacomo or whoever replaces him can get it back to that!

I guess that’s one vote for going into the off-season questioning the direction of the program.
You seem to have an axe to grind with the X coaching staff. The bombers were just 3-6 in the league in 2022 and I believe under .500 in half of Coach Garrido's 8 seasons.

You seem to have an axe to grind with the X coaching staff. The bombers were just 3-6 in the league in 2022 and I believe under .500 in half of Coach Garrido's 8 seasons.
Not sure about BrownsTribe, but here are the facts:

The Bombers won three of the last five GCL South titles heading into this year, two outright and one shared, all while playing in a league with Elder and Moeller. That’s even with their most talented team in 2020 never having had the opportunity to play. They entered the year with likely more talent, at least on paper, than they had on the 2021 team that won the league outright while this year they’re sitting on a losing record both in the league and overall while in half of those losses they haven’t been competitive.

It seems reasonable to ponder the question of what’s gone wrong.

Here are the facts facts. 2022 the bombers were 3-6 in the league with only achieving above .500 overall by playing small schools.
As I stated they were only above .500 in half of the seasons that Augie coached the bombers. In 8 seasons, the bombers advanced to the regional tourney twice. In 5 of those eight, they were 1-1 or 0-1 in the tourney. St X is a great program and will someday be on par with both Elder and Moe.

Last edited: