St. Thomas cancelling games now

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddieMoney

Just heard they cancelled this weeks games not due to covid but injury. Heard theyre down to 17 or so players and a few had injuries. If I was an AD playing this team in the next month I would start looking for fill in games.

Last edited:

If St. Thomas's program is in the trouble it appears it's in, I wonder if this could set off some realignment amongst small school leagues to mitigate situations like this in the future. There would only be 4 viable teams left in the Portage Trail, and the Northeast Athletic is having its issues with Southington having cancelled its season, Fairport having cancelled games due to numbers, and St. John having done 8-man in the recent past.

The hudl film of the football team. I should of clarified.
If St. Thomas's program is in the trouble it appears it's in, I wonder if this could set off some realignment amongst small school leagues to mitigate situations like this in the future. There would only be 4 viable teams left in the Portage Trail, and the Northeast Athletic is having its issues with Southington having cancelled its season, Fairport having cancelled games due to numbers, and St. John having done 8-man in the recent past.
There is a massive gap between the NAC and those 4 ptc schools talent wise. Otherwise I would suggest a merger. It would never happen though.

I wonder if the Aquinas program shuts down, if Coach Burick will head back to Massillon?

dhsdog06 said:
And supposedly one got hurt, so Vanlue now playing 11.
COPIED FROM ANOTHER'S POST, NOT MINE: And still no one with any sense has shut them down..

VANLUE STATS:

0-6
PF-104
PA-347

HOW CAN THOSE KIDS BE HAVING ANY FUN?
I'M AMAZED THEY CONTINUE ON.
CUDOS TO THE HEARTS OF THOSE PLAYERS.
THEY MUST HONESTLY LOVE....THE.....GAME (y):banana:

Last edited:
Not surprising at all, I’ve never seen a coach throw so many Hail Marys when his OL shouldn’t be on the varsity field. Guy was going for it on 4th and 30 on his own 10. Just letting his qb and line take hit after hit

Not surprising at all, I’ve never seen a coach throw so many Hail Marys when his OL shouldn’t be on the varsity field. Guy was going for it on 4th and 30 on his own 10. Just letting his qb and line take hit after hit
The QB is his kid, that's why.

Think they will have a team next year or Do you think the guy resigns
He probably stays if they have a team. I have never seen a school have the fluctuation in enrollment and numbers on the team like this place. A few years ago they were really good, then the next year they lost something like half their enrollment. That was when the talk of merging with Canton CC really heated up. Then they tried the experiment of bringing in kids from all over the Canton/Akron area and that blew up in their face. CB pushed them up a division because of it and now that they are really struggling they are stuck in D6. Its a mess.

He probably stays if they have a team. I have never seen a school have the fluctuation in enrollment and numbers on the team like this place. A few years ago they were really good, then the next year they lost something like half their enrollment. That was when the talk of merging with Canton CC really heated up. Then they tried the experiment of bringing in kids from all over the Canton/Akron area and that blew up in their face. CB pushed them up a division because of it and now that they are really struggling they are stuck in D6. Its a mess.
Yeah that’s a horrible recipe to build a program

They sold their souls for enrollment for state vouchers which gave them a temporary boost. It's a very high risk move. Their old AD and coach made promises then left the kids hanging. It blew up and now they're paying for it big time with a lot of those kids leaving going back to Glenaok and McKinley. Situation is dire. I am also familiar with CCC but I don't think they do a ton of vouchers so they have stayed more stable and from I hear had 25 freshman kids for football this yr. The tale of 2 catholic schools miles apart approaching things completely different.

They sold their souls for enrollment for state vouchers which gave them a temporary boost. It's a very high risk move. Their old AD and coach made promises then left the kids hanging. It blew up and now they're paying for it big time with a lot of those kids leaving going back to Glenaok and McKinley. Situation is dire. I am also familiar with CCC but I don't think they do a ton of vouchers so they have stayed more stable and from I hear had 25 freshman kids for football this yr. The tale of 2 catholic schools miles apart approaching things completely different.
Yep. There is and always will be a demand for catholic/private schools, even though they don't have as many students as they used to. The same can be said for a large portion of publics across the state also. Enrollment is up at our school with waiting lists in the lower grades. The best way to lose enrollment though is to do what places like Aquinas have done. People won't want to send their kids to places that have a reputation like that. On the other hand, places like CCC usually reap the benefits of it.

This is basically what happened. As an alum, its disheartening. The end may be near for the football program. Cook did a great job winning while there, but in hindsight it seems he was more interested in boosting his own resume than rebuilding a long term program.

Status
Not open for further replies.