St. Ignatius Wildcats 2012

Bonard714

Since no one else was starting this one, I thought I would use my first post to do so.

Starters (key backups) anyone? My uninformed guesses (I'm not as familiar with rising seniors so please help out here)

QB - LaManna (P. Mahoney/D. Black)
RBs - McVey (Vitale)
FB - Willis, Jr. ?
WRs - Hennessy, Siragusa, Zingale ? ? (LaVelle, Hyland)
OL - Franko, Cray, Byrne ? ? (Rolf at C?)
TE - E. Black ?

DL - Kavalec, Gawlik, Katusha (pretty strong group here!)
LB - Bendokaitis, Berger ?
DB - Fanning, Baker, Hennessy, Willis, Jr. ? ?

P - ?
K - Colella
KR - Hennessy, Fabian, Montgomery

Since no one else was starting this one, I thought I would use my first post to do so.

Starters (key backups) anyone? My uninformed guesses (I'm not as familiar with rising seniors so please help out here)

QB - LaManna (P. Mahoney/D. Black)
RBs - McVey (Vitale)
FB - Willis, Jr. ?
WRs - Hennessy, Siragusa, Zingale ? ? (LaVelle, Hyland)
OL - Franko, Cray, Byrne ? ? (Rolf at C?)
TE - E. Black ?

DL - Kavalec, Gawlik, Katusha (pretty strong group here!)
LB - Bendokaitis, Berger ?
DB - Fanning, Baker, Hennessy, Willis, Jr. ? ?

P - ?
K - Colella
KR - Hennessy, Fabian, Montgomery

If one of our qb's developes (and it's a strong group), the offense looks to be very solid. We look to be better @ WR, and possibly on the O-line.

Defense also looks solid assuming we can re-arm the safety/linebacker positions...and there appear to be a number of good candidates.

The JV kicker was very solid, not sure about the punter.

If the 2012 group's character matches 2011, there's every reason to be optimistic.

Current sophomore Jimmy Byrne OL has received an offer from urban Meyer and tOSU for the class of 2014

Congrats to him and his family!!!!

Schedule

Per eddie dwyer, SI plays Mooney in the opener at Browns stadium. Other games so far are Mentor, St. X, St. Ed, Glenville, Erie McDowell. Maybes are Erie Prep and John Adams. So there are still 2-4 games left to be scheduled(announced).

The PD is reporting late this afternoon that Mike Svetina has decided not to accept a Miami Ohio football scholarship and is going to accept one instead from Illinois.

The PD is reporting late this afternoon that Mike Svetina has decided not to accept a Miami Ohio football scholarship and is going to accept one instead from Illinois.

I saw that, good for him.

He deserves a shot at playing a higher level of football

I was very surprised that it took this long for a B10 school to come in on Mike.

I saw that, good for him.

He deserves a shot at playing a higher level of football

I was very surprised that it took this long for a B10 school to come in on Mike.
Agreed - good for him, hope it works out.
But as I've had the chance to watch from a distance how college choices play out for these guys, I'm leery of these guys who "trade up" - for lack of a better term - to higher level DI programs.
Particularly when the first comments relate to his combination of size/speed and where he may fit at that level. I've seen several of these guys make similar decisions and get physically beat up and earn little playing time. Particularly on defense, if you're undersized but without exceptional speed it can be a tough, tough road.

I was pleased to read that Matt Hoyer will be playing football next season at Mercyhurst. I wish nothing but the best for the young man. He appeared to handle a very difficult situation this past year with a lot of class.

Trying to think of the last time there was a better pair of returning D lineman than Kavelec and Katusha. :shrug:

I was pleased to read that Matt Hoyer will be playing football next season at Mercyhurst. I wish nothing but the best for the young man. He appeared to handle a very difficult situation this past year with a lot of class.

Congratulations Matt Hoyer! :clap:

I think the whole family deserves a lot of credit. The dad is very active with the program. It had to be a tough circumstance.

Agreed - good for him, hope it works out.
But as I've had the chance to watch from a distance how college choices play out for these guys, I'm leery of these guys who "trade up" - for lack of a better term - to higher level DI programs.
Particularly when the first comments relate to his combination of size/speed and where he may fit at that level. I've seen several of these guys make similar decisions and get physically beat up and earn little playing time. Particularly on defense, if you're undersized but without exceptional speed it can be a tough, tough road.

Mike is actually big for a Safety at 220 so he will play LB for the Illini....in a short time he should be standard college LB size, 240ish.
With his good speed, pass defense, and knock you down gene, I see plenty of PT at that spot like his older buds Fox and Ryan.

Seems the Toledo coach lost out to Miami for Mike's services. Then the Toledo coach got the Illinois job. Then Mike got the Illinois scholly.

Last edited:
QB Eric Williams to Yale.....Ignatius' last 2 championships were lead by Ivy League QBs; 2008 (Holland - Penn) and 2011 (Williams - Yale).

Is there another Ivy League caliber kid in the program? That seems to be a requirement for state title success.