St. Ignatius hockey 2021-2022

clevelandcane

The Cats hosted a summer showcase this weekend with US, Buffalo St. Francis and Orchard Lake St. Mary. They went 3-1. Beat OLSM, 1-0. Beat BSF 3-1 and US 4-1. Lost to OLSM 4-1.

The Cats played about 22 kids and all looked varsity level. Plus 4 were missing. Lots of sophs and juniors and one senior line.

The goalies were really solid. I thought Utrup should have played last year. Francis (soph I believe) was really solid as well.

Some standouts were 2 on D - Zahoranski and Nadzam. Nadzam, imo, has made huge strides. Both are so calm and controlled. It's great! On O I enjoyed watching Getz. His shot is really deadly. I was also pleasantly surprised by Sidoti and Coker (all 3 sophs). They have lots of kids that can play and Basile (he may have played Sun but I wasn't there) Bia, Baker, and Bartone weren't even there.

I envision a much better year. Lots to work on still (like passes being on target) but lots of time.

I'm excited about the year.

Go Cats.

My early prediction for the varsity A team after watching the 4 game showcase and a bunch of Team Ohio games...

Baker Zawadzki Getz
Bartone Piazza Savarino
Coker Rodgers Nash
Sidoti Geffert Elwell (only frosh) or Rechin

Zahoranski Nadzam
Basile Bratton
George Trobek

Utrup and Francis to split time in net. Both are excellent choices!

The team is loaded and only 2 or 3 seniors could make the varsity.

Go Cats!

Last edited:
Interesting that they’ve reverted to the “Prep” moniker. They must feel good about the team this year.

I've seen them play in the spring and for TO. I think they're looking good. Not sure about other area teams in comparison but the Cats will be much better than last year.

Looks like the Cats are fielding a gold, blue, and white team along with the 15U and Varsity teams. Rosters and schedules up for some of those teams at clewildcatshockey.com.

Almost. I believe Zahoranski is really a junior. They are going to be real good this year and even better next year as they gain experience.

Went to the scrimmage vs Erie Cathedral Prep tonight. Cats were buzzing and looking pretty good. 3-0 after one. Teams come out for the 2nd, play about 3 minutes. A few big hits on the ice and BAM! The ECP coach waves the white flag and just quits. Not sure if he talked to O'Rourke or not but coming off the ice O'Rourke just smiled and shrugged and that was the night. Not sure what kind of message that sends to your team (ECP) but it seemed pretty lame to me.

Do you think there will ever be a majority of schools in Ohio with a hockey program?
Hockey in OH will never be like football or basketball in OH. It's expensive and not enough kids play. I think it's grown a lot in the last 20 years but not sure if it will grow anymore. Hope so.

Moreover, there are not enough rinks. Every school has a football field and a basketball court, the public parks are filled with courts and fields too. But even Cleveland does not have enough rinks for enough ice time for a majority of their schools to have hockey teams or youth programs.

Good weekend for the Cats. Played St. Ignatius of Chicago and won G1, 3-1 and tied G2, 2-2.

Both goalies stood out (Francis for the W) and should be a strong position for the year.

Getz scored 3 goals this weekend and was the standout on O. Zawadzki/Piazza/Getz made up the first line and carried the scoring. Lots of depth.

Question... where were Savarino and Bartone?

Nice start of the season for the Cats. They beat and tied SI of Illinois - a team they lost to twice last year. Yesterday they beat Gilmour, 3-2.

They play solid D, get good goaltending... they need to score more and stay out of the sin bin.

Lots of games this weekend both at OBM and Brooklyn Rec.

Go Cats

The Cats split with a pretty good IL team this past weekend. Also added a new player from the Barons.

US and some green team up next.

Go Cats!

The good guys beat the bad guys tonight, 3-1 Nice job in net by the sophomore Francis. Solid D and just enough O. Goals by Getz, Savarino, and Zarembski.

Go Cats!

Well the new year is off to a frustrating start with the Cats losing to Northview. The Cats dominated the game in terms of puck possession and shots on goal but the NV goalie just beat them. The Cats have struggled to put the puck in the net all year and that has to change.

Good start to the weekend - beat Flint Powers out of MI, 3-1. Controlled most of the game until the 3rd when the Cats took 3 consecutive penalties. Goals by Piazza (2) and the frosh Elwell.

Francis was solid as always but only had to make 16 saves.

Coach O brought up Mustafa, Elwell, Frederick and Rutledge. Not sure if that's to keep the kids fresh for the weekend or to try and generate goals. I don't think the Cats have scored more than 3 goals in a game all year. That's a problem.

Good game tonight from the Cats after beating an IL team earlier in the day. They beat Howell, MI, 5-3. Actually knocked in a goal for Howell. Well played game. Good to see the Cats score some goals. Good to get that offense humming. Solid game from Francis in net and not many mistakes save a rash of 3rd period penalties.

Beat a pretty good Buffalo St. Francis team today in a shootout. Evenly played game. Both teams had their chances. BSF controlled the 5 minute OT but then Piazza and Savarino scored in the shootout and Francis saved 2/3. Player of the game for me .. John Rodgers. Strong with the puck and tireless worker.

The Cats had a good weekend in Toledo to close out the regular season. They beat ST. Francis, 4-2 and St John's, 4-0.

I think overall that the Cats are great on D and in net but scoring has been a problem all year.

Let's hope they can string a bunch of wins together to finish out the season.