St Ignatius Football 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week may also be a challenge for Iggy db’s. Although St. Ed does not have an elite speed receiver like the Michigan team, they do have 4 very talented receivers who all have caught multiple balls. They can stretch the field.

I’m most concerned about the Ignatius defense being on the field all game. I think they match up ok, and the Ed’s offense isn’t really that menacing. That said, I see a lot of 3 and outs coming for the Ignatius O, and that will wear down any defense.

Wildcat defense played well against the Eagles. Gave up 2 TD's and the Eagles other score was on a pick 6.
I'm sure the Eagles called a vanilla offense tonight, especially considering the rain during the 2nd half. Still they had to earn their yards. Ramos' scrambles got the Eagles out of 2nd and 3rd and long situations one too many times. The Cats defense had 2 interceptions and stopped the Eagles at least 3x on 4th down & short yardage.

Wildcats special teams had a strange night - really, not a good night. 2 missed field goals. Had 1 punt blocked. Another punt was partially blocked and bounced off the back of the Cats' Norris, which gave the Eagles great field position and they scored right after that. The special teams got some salvation when the Eagles punter mishandled the snap late in the game and the Cats recovered and scored a TD

Offense is brutal to watch. One big play for a TD when the Eagles defensive back was late to cover. Other than that, same old stuff. The change from Spencer to Tompkins at QB in the 2nd half was an interesting (and creative) experiment. So, after a week of practice and no prior experience at QB for Ignatius, Tompkins faces a very good, aggressive Eagle defense ... and in the rain. The coaching staff obviously felt he was a better option than the sophomore Papesh or freshman Woidke in this particular game. After watching Pfaff and Spencer perform this season and now Tompkins in this game, he deserves a shot to play a full game vs Moeller (5-2) next week.

Wasn't there someone in the early 90s that went from WR to QB? Or was it QB to WR? The years have made it fuzzy.

Gentlemen, I have in the past been a very strong and respectful supporter of Coach Kyle.
I will now and always remain respectful. I must now however agree, his time has come and
most definitely gone. He literally gave away the second half of the Ed's game tonight.
Not -- I repeat Not number 81's fault. That insanity started out as a Kyle "trick" play and he
simply did not know when to pull the plug. He just kept hoping that he just might be right.
His judgement or extreme lack of it cost the team the game. Coach Restifo knew it was time
and he did the right thing. I respectfully would ask Coach Kyle to now also do the right thing.
Thank you coach for all the wonderful years all the wins.

Arth ended up in the NFL for one year holding the clipboard for Manning's Colts. Then went on to coach JCU and now, I think, at Akron.

Wildcat defense played well against the Eagles. Gave up 2 TD's and the Eagles other score was on a pick 6.
I'm sure the Eagles called a vanilla offense tonight, especially considering the rain during the 2nd half. Still they had to earn their yards. Ramos' scrambles got the Eagles out of 2nd and 3rd and long situations one too many times. The Cats defense had 2 interceptions and stopped the Eagles at least 3x on 4th down & short yardage.

Wildcats special teams had a strange night - really, not a good night. 2 missed field goals. Had 1 punt blocked. Another punt was partially blocked and bounced off the back of the Cats' Norris, which gave the Eagles great field position and they scored right after that. The special teams got some salvation when the Eagles punter mishandled the snap late in the game and the Cats recovered and scored a TD

Offense is brutal to watch. One big play for a TD when the Eagles defensive back was late to cover. Other than that, same old stuff. The change from Spencer to Tompkins at QB in the 2nd half was an interesting (and creative) experiment. So, after a week of practice and no prior experience at QB for Ignatius, Tompkins faces a very good, aggressive Eagle defense ... and in the rain. The coaching staff obviously felt he was a better option than the sophomore Papesh or freshman Woidke in this particular game. After watching Pfaff and Spencer perform this season and now Tompkins in this game, he deserves a shot to play a full game vs Moeller (5-2) next week.
Worst special teams I can recall since McKinley blocked 3 Fgs in the semi final game of 1997.

On a positive note, Griffin Taliak is a hell of a player.

Ig will beat Moeller, regardless of who plays QB for Ig.

Of the few positives to note, Zinger has the defense playing well above their talent level. Really maximizing the ability on that side of the ball. The lack of a major D-1 pass rusher shows, and the team will continue to be vulnerable to big plays given the lack of foot speed, but they are disciplined, tough, and well-coached.

It was also encouraging to see Brandon Webster return during the second half. He will bring more speed and man coverage ability to the defense.

The ongoing lack of touches for Martin continues to be a mystery. The JVs held Martin and Papesh out of the first half so both could be available for the full Varsity game, and neither played a snap. The offense needs all the speed they can get - Martin needs to be out there.

I heard a couple of our coaches say One of your longtime defense coaches / head wrestling coach is stepping down. Coach Mark Sullivan, they were saying thank goodness.

I heard a couple of our coaches say One of your longtime defense coaches / head wrestling coach is stepping down. Coach Mark Sullivan, they were saying thank goodness.
I've heard his competitiveness toward playing Saint Eds was pretty high, he was a crazy motivator. At Lake Catholic he was one of our best ever. as a grade schooler I saw him start the season against Mooney who was ranked #1 in d1 with the stoops and all. Sullivan made almost every play on defense, 5 sacks and over 30 tackles and caused some fumbles. I'm surprised he's leaving Saint Ignatius.

I remember Arth, but was it maybe Peters or something to wr, maybe during Meyer? Could be mixing things
Peters was a QB at some point. I don't know if the switch happened prior to his junior or senior year. By his senior year, though, he was definitely at WR by 1991 when Mayer was the starting QB.

Sully is a great human being, always great to work with. He always has a good story, especially when you get him talking about the Rose Bowl. He’ll be missed, no doubt.

How about the game at Moeller this week? Thoughts and predictions.
Don’t know what to expect here. Contrast of styles - Ignatius is very sound on defense, but offense has been a massive struggle all year. Moeller seems to be the opposite. I understand the Crusaders have a lot of speed - the Cats have been vulnerable to big plays all year. The defense is sound and well-coached, but speed is limited compared to the top teams in the state.

Don’t know what to expect here. Contrast of styles - Ignatius is very sound on defense, but offense has been a massive struggle all year. Moeller seems to be the opposite. I understand the Crusaders have a lot of speed - the Cats have been vulnerable to big plays all year. The defense is sound and well-coached, but speed is limited compared to the top teams in the state.

Very good report

Moeller is giving up well over 300+ yards of offense and almost 28 points per game. Last week, I predicted 49 points for Elder when they played Moe, and I was low. I knew Elder better than St I. But, my guess is St I gets “healthy” on offense this week v Moe. This is out of respect for St I as a program and the porous D that Moe has had all season.
Prediction: St I 31 Moe 13
Moe can definitely score points, but the best defense they played this year, St X, shut them down. How does St I D compare to X? As far as the Moe speed, their fastest WR was out again last week. Not good if that’s the same this week.
Note: I’ve seen every snap of Moe this year. I’m not bashing my team. I’m also not going to come on here and be a homer about predictions.

Last edited:
Sully is a great human being, always great to work with. He always has a good story, especially when you get him talking about the Rose Bowl. He’ll be missed, no doubt.
We tried hard to get him back at Lake but he quickly started talking about Iggy. He mentioned coaching a year or so with LeCharles Bentley, he said he was a bad az . He loved working with Franzinger. He was at Iggy at least 15 years, my sources say he’s not going to coach at another school but I hope he does, we idolize him and would love for him to finish here.

Last edited:
As far as the game, give me the magic 8 ball and that might be as good a guess as any. I feel very comfortable in saying I would be shocked if this offense broke 20, let alone 30....if defense can do its job I think 17-14 might be right. No confidence this offense can show evidence of being an offense. Points have declined week to week at least 4 weeks or so in a row since the high in euclid

Moeller has a porous defense. And their offense was held in check by St. X. So I think the Cats will prevail.

The 5 hour bus ride throws an element of uncertainty into the calculation. But, given the schedule that the Cats have played in recent years, the coaches and the players have become experienced travelers.

Cats freshmen getting hammered by Massillon 34-7 when the feed went out on me.

Thought this class had promise but the defense can't stop anything.

100 kids and we don't have 2 freshmen teams? Makes zero sense. No development chances for the 85 kids who never play.

Status
Not open for further replies.