St. Ignatius basketball 2023-2024

As this thread has devolved into a discussion of Moeller's ineptitude in other sports, I can inform Ignatius supporters that the volleyball team (I just learned yesterday that the Cats had one) remains undefeated winning all eight of its matches, not having lost a game this year.
Although impressive, Moeller has a pretty good volleyball program and likely this topic will come up again.

At one time the Ignatius administration would give the students a day off if an Ignatius team won a state title. Wonder if this policy is still in effect. If so, the students might get a whole week off if this class continues its winning ways in the other spring sports.

From cleveland .com:

DAYTON, Ohio — Only two teams in St. Ignatius’ history have won 25 basketball games.
Only one has won 26.

That became a reality Sunday night at the University of Dayton Arena, as the Wildcats pulled away from Centerville for a 66-56 victory and their first state championship since 2001. It’s the only other time St. Ignatius held up the OHSAA Division I state championship trophy at the end of a boys basketball season, and current coach Cam Joyce did it in his fifth season.
“This program, this school is such a special school,” Joyce said. “We just wanted to bring the basketball back on the map, and that’s what I told guys from Year 1.”

Joyce built a program already on the cusp of several final four trips back into one that got there with state semifinal appearances in 2021 and ‘22. Each time, the Wildcats fell short in that round against Westerville Central and Centerville. Not this time.

Centerville (20-9) took a 24-21 lead late in the second quarter before Jack Zapolnik scored on consecutive drives to the hoop.
The Wildcats (26-3) responded with a nine-point run for a 30-24 lead at halftime. They extended it to 45-32 after three quarters, pushing the advantage to double digits on a 3-pointer by Mike Lamirand and again on a three-point play by fellow senior guard Matt Ellis. “I told the guys before the game, we’re going to have one of our best efforts,” Joyce said. “It’s not going to come down a last-second shot. It’s not going to come down to the last 30 seconds. We’re going to have one of our best efforts collectively.” That’s what happened.

Four players scored in double figures, led by Zapolnik with 14 points. Ellis added 12 off the bench, including a three-point play with a foul to push their advantage to 10 points in the third quarter. Lamirand contributed on both ends, scoring 11 points but also deflecting balls on the defensive end. He blocked three shots, came up with two steals and pulled down seven rebounds. He led his team in all three of those categories, playing his sixth game starting in place of injured 6-foot-7 forward Sam Springer.

St. Ignatius had the depth to overcome that loss with Lamirand and Ellis, whom Joyce repeatedly said all year he considers to be dual sixth men. Guards Kalli Johnson and Sean Martin also provided minutes in the rotation and depth that could not be matched by Centerville, which advanced past Toledo Whitmer in the late game during Saturday night’s semifinals. “We just wanted to wear down their legs,” Lamirand said. “I feel like toward the end of the game, that’s something we accomplished.”

Reece Robinson added 10 points as St. Ignatius’ fourth double-digit scorer. Junior guard Quinn Woidke, who had a tying 3-pointer at the buzzer Jan. 13 to force the first of two overtimes in a 94-92 victory at Centerville in their first meeting, had eight points in the rematch. Junior forward Damon Friery scored nine points Sunday after he and Woidke, who led the Wildcats in scoring average this season, led them in Saturday’s 54-53 win against Delaware Hayes. They finished that one without Zapolnik, who fouled out after a technical foul for reacting to his fourth infraction. “I knew coming in here, I had something to prove in a way,” Zapolnik said. The senior point guard kept his faith in his teammates Saturday and repaid them Sunday with seven assists in addition to his 14 points.
“I knew they had my back,” Zapolnik said, “and if we got to this game, I was going to prove something. I wasn’t able to finish the game (Saturday) night and from June, our goal was to win a state championship.”

Jonathan Powell paced Centerville with 17 points and Eli Greenberg had 15, as the Elks played their in their third state final since the championships moved to Dayton in 2021. They won it all in ‘21 and beat St. Ignatius in ‘22 to reach their second of those three runs, also seeking a second state crown in program history. After that loss two years ago, Joyce promised he would be back as he sat with Ace Buckner at the podium in UD Arena. Buckner, who would have been a senior this season, played it at La Lumiere in Indiana. Joyce turned to Zapolnik as his point guard to make good on that promise. “I was right with my promise, but I wasn’t right with the guys,” Joyce said. “I wanted these guys. The guys that left, I love those guys, but these guys right here in these uniforms were with us all year. They bought in, and I’m so happy for those guys. They proved night in and night out that they belonged.”

At one time the Ignatius administration would give the students a day off if an Ignatius team won a state title. Wonder if this policy is still in effect. If so, the students might get a whole week off if this class continues its winning ways in the other spring sports.
I think they long ago moved to capping it at one free day per season (ie hockey + basketball = one free day).

For as much as we on here mourn the state of the football program, I think the overall athletic offering has never been stronger than it has the last decade.

It was great in 90s whenI was there, but I think would get more now. Luckily they have today off from hockey, another day coming

I think they long ago moved to capping it at one free day per season (ie hockey + basketball = one free day).

For as much as we on here mourn the state of the football program, I think the overall athletic offering has never been stronger than it has the last decade.
Without a doubt. Back in my time, we didn't have the consistent high level success in basketball, hockey and soccer. Eds controlled the hockey world back then. It had been almost a 180 flip between the schools on different programs, but, adding soccer success on top of it. Now just need to get the football program back to consistency, not asking for that level of titles which was historic

Without a doubt. Back in my time, we didn't have the consistent high level success in basketball, hockey and soccer. Eds controlled the hockey world back then. It had been almost a 180 flip between the schools on different programs, but, adding soccer success on top of it. Now just need to get the football program back to consistency, not asking for that level of titles which was historic
Crazy that the football program is at the bottom now.

Nice to see the Cats win the title. Birdog thought Ignatius was slow and wouldn’t be able to beat Moeller or Centerville.

Congrats on the hoops title. The Cats and Eagles have now taken 5 of the 9 OHSAA boys teams titles available in the Fall and Winter seasons. Baseball, Lacrosse, Track and Volleyball still on the table for the calendar year. I don't think Ed's will be in the mix much this Spring, but Ignatius has a legit shot at a few of those.

Congrats on the hoops title. The Cats and Eagles have now taken 5 of the 9 OHSAA boys teams titles available in the Fall and Winter seasons. Baseball, Lacrosse, Track and Volleyball still on the table for the calendar year. I don't think Ed's will be in the mix much this Spring, but Ignatius has a legit shot at a few of those.
There not catching our eagles any time soon in overall titles 😂😂😂!

Congrats wildcats on bringing it home to NEO!!

Not a fan of your guys kids, argue with the refs, run down and taunt D Hayes. Doesn’t surprise me with a scum bag coach with the last name Joyce leading the pack. Be better
IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg

"Be better"

Wonder if their angst is private based, geography based, racial based, or because they rarely get here as evidenced by their total of 2 club level lacrosse titles

No use carping on the fans, since the pictures, as they say, " Are worth a thousand words." No matter what anyone says or whatever kvetching and silly accusations are thrown, the fact remains that the trophy now resides at 1911 West 30th St.... and that's the final word.