St. Ignatius basketball 2022 - 2023

Was a bit unimpressed with both teams tonight. In a reversal from the first game, Ignatius took advantage of Eds mistakes. Eds had a lot of lousy turnovers and FT misses late. There were a few times it looked like Ignatius had the chance to build a bit of a lead, but they would let Eds get back into it.

The playoff matchup should be a good one.

Cavaliers NBA All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell sent out a tweet just as St. Ignatius let out for school.
Mitchell suggested an appearance Friday night for the Wildcats’ rivalry game against St. Edward, the No. 1-ranked team in the cleveland.com boys basketball Top 25. Many more had the same idea, as Mitchell and Darius Garland sat behind the St. Ignatius bench among a sell-out crowd at Sullivan Gymnasium to see the Wildcats’ 53-50 victory, handing St. Edward its first loss of the season.

Buckner’s father, Greg Buckner, is the Cavaliers’ associate head coach and sat next to Garland and Mitchell. Cavaliers head coach J.B. Bickerstaff and Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski also sat in the vicinity behind the Wildcats’ bench.

Sorry, but I prefer the Ignatius kids on the broadcast more than these adults:

Last edited:
Was a bit unimpressed with both teams tonight. In a reversal from the first game, Ignatius took advantage of Eds mistakes. Eds had a lot of lousy turnovers and FT misses late. There were a few times it looked like Ignatius had the chance to build a bit of a lead, but they would let Eds get back into it.

The playoff matchup should be a good one.
The games means nothing for both sides. Flan has said numerous times he plays it close to the vest in these games. All that will matter is the next match up. This was just practice for both teams. As well as the 1st game.

The games means nothing for both sides.
Right...

Can't we come up with something here that's a tad more nuanced? It means NOTHING? Ask the respective directors of admissions; ask the bean counters in advancement. Everytime these schools compete in something, it means SOMETHING.

Cavaliers NBA All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell sent out a tweet just as St. Ignatius let out for school.
Mitchell suggested an appearance Friday night for the Wildcats’ rivalry game against St. Edward, the No. 1-ranked team in the cleveland.com boys basketball Top 25. Many more had the same idea, as Mitchell and Darius Garland sat behind the St. Ignatius bench among a sell-out crowd at Sullivan Gymnasium to see the Wildcats’ 53-50 victory, handing St. Edward its first loss of the season.

Buckner’s father, Greg Buckner, is the Cavaliers’ associate head coach and sat next to Garland and Mitchell. Cavaliers head coach J.B. Bickerstaff and Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski also sat in the vicinity behind the Wildcats’ bench.

Sorry, but I prefer the Ignatius kids on the broadcast more than these adults:

I can't stand the idea of adults doing the commentary. It's HS. Don't tell me kids don't want this gig. I LOVE the SI commentators in all sports, especially hockey.

I can't stand the idea of adults doing the commentary. It's HS. Don't tell me kids don't want this gig. I LOVE the SI commentators in all sports, especially hockey.
And they’re pretty good…the product is for our community…it may be a bit homer-ish…

I always remember John Fanta doing the football games in the ‘11 season…the youthful enthusiasm…”oh boy!”

I think it speaks well of our school that some of the world’s great micro-managers have faith in our students to BROADCAST a product that represents the school well.

Right...

Can't we come up with something here that's a tad more nuanced? It means NOTHING? Ask the respective directors of admissions; ask the bean counters in advancement. Everytime these schools compete in something, it means SOMETHING.
Agree ..... and add the kids that put all that great effort and intensity on the floor, playing tight defense and diving after loose balls, and the kids and coaches up & down ‘in the game’ while on the benches, and Flannery and Joyce never sitting down – constantly working the refs and making situational offensive & defensive substitutions, and ~1/2 of the gym full of kids clapping, yelling and screaming throughout the game … and flooding out of the stands onto the court at game’s end.

“Nothing”??? No, it does mean SOMETHING for both these schools.

You clearing don't listen to the coaches from the respective schools. On the record in pod casts saying the game is
nice" to win but we will not be showing much. The same thing BOTH coaches in the past have said regarding the football game. Get your heads out of the sand. The game doesn't have the value it once did. Maybe for the OLD alum but certainly not the respective coaches. All 4 are on record saying the same thing. Show nothing. Be nice to win but not the end of the world if we lose. The passion and distaste for one another isn't what it was years ago. Not even close. To comment about coaches coaching makes no sense. Of course they are coaching. Maybe if you had some inside insight of how both schools feel you could see the light. I understand many of you don't. Just go listen for yourself in the coaches own words what the game means TODAY! Nothing was the wrong word to use. I agree and made a mistake using nothing. The game just doesn't mean as much win or lose. Playoff wins and losses now that is a different story.

And they’re pretty good…the product is for our community…it may be a bit homer-ish…

I always remember John Fanta doing the football games in the ‘11 season…the youthful enthusiasm…”oh boy!”

I think it speaks well of our school that some of the world’s great micro-managers have faith in our students to BROADCAST a product that represents the school well.

Just as our broadcast (admittedly completely homerish) is for our community. The constant complaining about free broadcasts is getting tired. Don’t like the announcers, DON’T LISTEN.

Max Hayes game 1, 2nd round John Hay. Likely matchup with BBH in district title, and likely Garfield in regional semi

Hurts to lose doesn't it?
Not at all. It's just game. I live in reality not hoping or praying my school or team wins. I know the truth of the matter and have for a long time. If others choose to keep blinders on that is fine. The truth is locked in time forever in several pod casts. Funny nobody wants to listen to the COACHES explain what the game really means. It's okay. Life goes on.

What exactly is the deal on offense? Does Joyce use any plays or is it a school yard free for all? I just don't get it

Brian, let the adults talk. While winning by 1 currently, for the most part the game has been tied throughout and clearly with any offensive organization it wouldn't be

Brian, let the adults talk. While winning by 1 currently, for the most part the game has been tied throughout and clearly with any offensive organization it wouldn't be
No class you are a catholic team fan.Try to be nice.it a good game.

Agree...had enough time to take TO and setup. Hoping to win this one but some very questionable things. Defense and pressure has worked mostly