St. Edward Eagles 2023-24

How far will the Eagles advance in post-season?

• Sectionals

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Districts

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Regionals

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Final Four

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Winning # 3

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

EagleFan

Fan of Eagle
St. Edward Eagles (13-7)

12/2 H Lakewood W 80-65
12/3 N NDCL (@ Cleveland Basketball Classic @ BW) W 77-52
12/12 H Brush W 62-46
12/16 N Imani Christian (@ Cleveland Play by Play Classic 1 @ Cuyahoga Community College) L 76-60
12/19 H STVM W 86-65
12/27 N The Holiday Classic @ Torrey Pines, CA vs St. Francis Prep (NY NY) L 73-55
12/28 N The Holiday Classic @ Torrey Pines, CA vs St. Francis Episcopal (Houston TX) W 60-59
12/29 N The Holiday Classic @ Torrey Pines, CA vs Torrey Pines (San Diego CA) L 65-64
12/30 N The Holiday Classic @ Torrey Pines, CA vs Bishop O'Dowd (Oakland CA) W 82-74
1/5 A St. Ignatius L 67-41
1/7 N Centerville (@ Cleveland Play by Play Classic 2 @ John Carroll) L 59-57
1/9 H Cleveland Central Catholic W 78-45
1/12 H St. John's Jesuit W 67-58
1/21 N Spire Academy (@ Chet Mason Invitational @ Brush) W 74-46
1/26 H Louisville W 62-55
1/27 A Benedictine W 95-57
2/2 H St. Ignatius L 64-61
2/7 A Lutheran East L 52-37
2/9 H University School W 82-38
2/13 H Brecksville-Broadview Heights W 74-65
2/16 A Richmond Heights
2/22 H Padua

Last edited:

I know Wendell Henry returns and I believe he will be a 3 year starter. Any insight as to what Coach Flannery has left from last years team? I haven't seen the star player in probably 5+ years? He used to have several D1 players but times have changed.

I know Wendell Henry returns and I believe he will be a 3 year starter. Any insight as to what Coach Flannery has left from last years team? I haven't seen the star player in probably 5+ years? He used to have several D1 players but times have changed.

I heard 9 seniors on squad. All pretty solid. Give flannery time to figure out lineups and kids figuring out roles. Team should be tough out come tournament time

I heard 9 seniors on squad. All pretty solid. Give flannery time to figure out lineups and kids figuring out roles. Team should be tough out come tournament time
The roster on the Eagles web site lists 7 seniors and 8 juniors. See the link to that roster on my previous post above. I agree Flannery will have them ready to go come tournament time.

Huffman is Davidson’s second leading scorer at 10.9 ppg. Here’s a link to his stats:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4432522/grant-huffman
Grant was first team All-Ohio his senior year.

Also, Devonte Blanton is Eastern Kentucky’s leading scorer at 16.6 ppg. Here’s a link to his stats:
https://www.e.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4703234/devontae-blanton
Devonte was second team All-Ohio his senior year.

Along with Montorie Foster (Michigan State Football recruit) they were the core of the 2019-20 squad that made it to the elite 8, before the tournament was cancelled due to Covid. St. Edward (25-1) was ranked second in the final AP poll (26-1 Moeller was #1). The Eagles had a real fighting chance to win the state championship. Oh, what might have been!

St Ed’s 3-0 struggled first half against Brush.
Bigs playing extremely well!

Windell and max
Max had 16 points 9 rebounds
Max played huge last year against Hoban
Continues the great play early this season

St Ed’s 3-0 struggled first half against Brush.
Bigs playing extremely well!

Windell and max
Max had 16 points 9 rebounds
Max played huge last year against Hoban
Continues the great play early this season
Brush led 29-26 after making a quick bucket at the start of the 3rd quarter. Then the Eagles went on a 15-2 run to take a 41-29 lead, thanks largely to their intense defensive pressure.

Good win over St. V last night. This St. V team might be a little down, but still a high quality opponent. The Eagles are very similar to last year's team in that there are no stars, but the whole is better than the sum of the parts. Great group of seniors who play well together, share the ball, and make the right plays. They go 10 deep, and while they will hit some cold spells offensively, the defense and depth can wear down opponents. I haven't seen all the top teams, but I would wager this team is somewhere in the 6-10 range in D1 this year.

Good win over St. V last night. This St. V team might be a little down, but still a high quality opponent. The Eagles are very similar to last year's team in that there are no stars, but the whole is better than the sum of the parts. Great group of seniors who play well together, share the ball, and make the right plays. They go 10 deep, and while they will hit some cold spells offensively, the defense and depth can wear down opponents. I haven't seen all the top teams, but I would wager this team is somewhere in the 6-10 range in D1 this year.
An area with a lot of room for improvement is turnovers. The Eagles were averaging 17 a game going into yesterday's contest. That average includes 20 in their lone loss to Imani Christian. In his blog, Norm Weber stated that the Green and Gold "cut down on turnovers" in the STVM game. Let's hope that trend continues.

St. Edward Eagles

12/2 H Lakewood W 80-65
12/3 N NDCL (@ Cleveland Basketball Classic @ BW) W 77-52
12/12 H Brush W 62-46
12/16 N Imani Christian (@ Cleveland Play by Play Classic 1 @ Cuyahoga Community College) L 76-60
12/19 H STVM W 86-65
12/27 N The Holiday Classic @ Torrey Pines, CA vs St. Francis Prep (NY NY) L 73-55
12/28 N The Holiday Classic @ Torrey Pines, CA vs St. Francis Episcopal (Houston TX) W 60-59
12/29 N The Holiday Classic @ Torrey Pines, CA vs Torrey Pines (San Diego CA) L 65-64
12/30 N The Holiday Classic @ Torrey Pines, CA vs Bishop O'Dowd (Oakland CA)
1/5 A St. Ignatius
1/7 N Centerville (@ Cleveland Play by Play Classic 2 @ John Carroll)
1/9 H Cleveland Central Catholic
1/12 H St. John's Jesuit
1/21 N Spire Academy (@ Chet Mason Invitational @ Brush)
1/26 H Louisville
1/27 A Benedictine
2/2 H St. Ignatius
2/7 A Lutheran East
2/9 H University School
2/13 H Brecksville-Broadview Heights
2/16 A Richmond Heights
2/22 H Padua
updated the schedule in first post. 1-2 so far out in San Diego.

Anyone have an update against Spire Academy today? Ed’s basketball twitter feed is outdated and I can’t even find a schedule on the website. Have to go to Yappi to find it. What is going on with the basketball program?

Anyone have an update against Spire Academy today? Ed’s basketball twitter feed is outdated and I can’t even find a schedule on the website. Have to go to Yappi to find it. What is going on with the basketball program?

Lost some close games , blowout against Iggy

But today I was told they won by close to 30 against spire
Was going to go, showcase was at brush
But long drive coupled with 20$ a person to watch
Made it less appealing
Plus football on later today

A very good test for this basketball team on Friday against Louisville. 14-1 with a common opponent of Saint Ignatius. Both Ed's and Louisville lost to the Wildcats. Key for the eagles is the low post play of Henry. At times he can be a force. Needs to do it night in and night out.

Haven't had the opportunity to take in any games this year. Just looking at the record it would seem this is an average to below average St. Edward team (by our historical standards), but I know that records can be deceiving. What's the story on this year's hoopers? Capable of making any noise in the post-season this year?

They are better than the record! But if the 3s are falling they can make noise! My guess is , if they lose it will be late and it will be to either Garfield or Ignatius.

Halftime Eagles 25, Louisville 24. Fun game. Eagles down big most of the half, but rallied to take lead late in 2nd quarter on a couple Scarpitti 3s.

Louisville has a nice team. But the coach is a total meatball. Just totally melting down after every call and non-call. Complaining to fans in the stands. Slamming his water bottle on scorers table. Told his team when they were up 18-10 that St. Ed's wouldn't have any points if it wasn't for bad calls. I think fouls were 3/3 at that point. His team shows class and poise, he shows zero. Fouls and free throws were even all half and his team led by around 8 most of half but he was totally consumed with rage.

Should be a fun 2nd half!

Congrats to the eagles on a big win against 14-1 Louisville. The only two losses are against St. Ignatius and St. Edward. I watched the broadcast and it was definitely a team win.

Halftime Eagles 25, Louisville 24. Fun game. Eagles down big most of the half, but rallied to take lead late in 2nd quarter on a couple Scarpitti 3s.

Louisville has a nice team. But the coach is a total meatball. Just totally melting down after every call and non-call. Complaining to fans in the stands. Slamming his water bottle on scorers table. Told his team when they were up 18-10 that St. Ed's wouldn't have any points if it wasn't for bad calls. I think fouls were 3/3 at that point. His team shows class and poise, he shows zero. Fouls and free throws were even all half and his team led by around 8 most of half but he was totally consumed with rage.

Should be a fun 2nd half!
It wasn't the fouls...it was the 4 change of possessions - loose balls - in the first quarter that were called in favor of the home team - 3 happened right in front of me. Score could have been a lot worse heading into the 2nd quarter. That being said, Eds shot the lights out starting in 2nd quarter and showed great poise. That's a great team, but I like like Louisville's chances on a neutral court and without the bald referee.

The schedule can be found here:

So
It wasn't the fouls...it was the 4 change of possessions - loose balls - in the first quarter that were called in favor of the home team - 3 happened right in front of me. Score could have been a lot worse heading into the 2nd quarter. That being said, Eds shot the lights out starting in 2nd quarter and showed great poise. That's a great team, but I like like Louisville's chances on a neutral court and without the bald referee.

Slow day at work, so I re-watched 1st quarter. There were no 4 loose balls that all went St. Ed's way, and coach was definitely upset by the foul calls. In my opinion, there were two bad calls against LHS in the 1st quarter, both in the final minute. But this is HS basketball, and bad calls will happen. Most of the time they even out, but sometimes you get Homered. But even if you are getting Homered, what you don't do is lose your composure and act like an infant - and then tell your team of High Schoolers that they are getting screwed by the officials 8 minutes into the game!

St. Edward v Louisville - Livestream

5:52 - First loose ball of 1st quarter went to LHS. Call looked good.
5:04 - First foul of game on LHS. #2 called for reaching in. Tough to see on livestream if he got him on the arm. Unless you were sitting in folding chairs by door (where ref was standing), not sure if you could have seen either.
4:39 - Second loose ball of 1st quarter went to LHS @ 4:39. Livestream looked like LHS may have touched it last, but ref had better position.
4:14 - Foul on St. Eds #1. Good call.
3:59 - tipped ball out of bounds, last touched by St Ed's, turnover. Sigfried tipped first, then Scarpitti. Good call.
3:17 - Loose ball - Bussey from SE stays in bounds while tipping it off LHS as he goes out of bounds. Watched it several times on .25x speed - good call.
2:44 - Loose ball, Sigfried called for foul as he dove into legs of Scarpitti while going for ball rolled up on his legs and took him down. Debatable call in a scrum, but it was a dangerous dive that could have injured Scarpitti.
2:09 - Ticky tack foul on St. Eds.
2:04 - Foul LHS - Illegal screen. Good call.
1:48 - Foul SE
1:35 - Loose ball out of bounds - LHS ball
1:04 - Foul SE
:50 - Foul LHS - looked like a bad call against #13
:32 - Foul LHS - I think they got the wrong guy. Nigro and Henry jockeying for position and Henry gave him a little extra. Even St. Ed's homer play-by-play team said it was wrong call.
:01 - Foul SE

5 fouls a piece in 1st Q.

JV success doesn’t always translate to subsequent varsity success. Nonetheless, it’s encouraging that the Eagle JV team is 17-0, including two wins against Ignatius.

JV success doesn’t always translate to subsequent varsity success. Nonetheless, it’s encouraging that the Eagle JV team is 17-0, including two wins against Ignatius.
Now 18-0 after a win against Lutheran East last night. Varsity got handled and was held to a season low 37 points. Couple big regular season games left against Brecksville and Richmond Heights to try and improve on their RPI position.

Now 18-0 after a win against Lutheran East last night. Varsity got handled and was held to a season low 37 points. Couple big regular season games left against Brecksville and Richmond Heights to try and improve on their RPI position.
Any eyewitness accounts of the win against Brecksville? Also, will Scarpitti be back?