St. Edward 2023-24

That's not true, coaches officiated the wrestle offs in their wrestling room!!
Take note to what I said, they did do a wrestle off at a neutral sight, stark county preview, I don't know how much more fair you can get, and yes they do wrestle offs in there room just like everybody else does, does that help you?

Take note to what I said, they did do a wrestle off at a neutral sight, stark county preview, I don't know how much more fair you can get, and yes they do wrestle offs in there room just like everybody else does, does that help you?
There's no help for people posting on yappi stuff like that...

Even if it were true... which from all accounts I'm skeptical... the St. Ed thread probably isn't the spot to discuss it...

As clearcut as Ed's is to being #1, I see MP as the clearcut #2, with Perrysburg and Brecksville still very good, and Wadsworth solid.
As clearcut as Ed's is to being #1, I see MP as the clearcut #2, with Perrysburg and Brecksville still very good, and Wadsworth solid.
Wadsworth will have a rough year losing a lot of seniors, should still have 6-7 state placers this year with a young lineup. In the next coming years Wadsworth should be back contending for the top. The Jr High team has a few tough guys, with the right development and training from the high school room wadsworth will be pretty tough again.

Wadsworth will have a rough year losing a lot of seniors, should still have 6-7 state placers this year with a young lineup. In the next coming years Wadsworth should be back contending for the top. The Jr High team has a few tough guys, with the right development and training from the high school room wadsworth will be pretty tough again.
This coming year will be shaky but the year after next will be the rough one. Next season they will be elite at 285 and wherever Joy lands. The Mellon bros. should qualify but placement if at all will not be high (top 5). Likewise with Dinwiddie and Frantz. The older Mellon and the elite wrestlers will be gone the following season leaving only the younger Mellon, Frantz, and Dinwiddie. I know there's another Earnest and the younger Jardine, but they are unproven at best, and this year's 8th grade group was nothing special. Better hope there are some hammers in this years 7th grade.

There's no help for people posting on yappi stuff like that...

Even if it were true... which from all accounts I'm skeptical... the St. Ed thread probably isn't the spot to discuss it...
Are you blind, skeptical about what? it happened in front of about 1500 people what more do you need? a video?

Are you blind, skeptical about what? it happened in front of about 1500 people what more do you need? a video?
I'm agreeing with you... calm down.

I'm aware of the preview. I'm not in the room so I can't say for sure, but I'm skeptical they are screwing kids in wrestle-offs that took place there as some implied.

I stand by what I posted and reiterate even if there's some argument to be made (I'm not saying there is...) this isn't the place for it.

The first part is accurate you can only be a 3x if your first year competing is in 6th grade. The second part is out of my scope. Only going by what OAC has posted.
OAC says you can only wrestle one year in each grade… which is why Driscoll was unable to compete. He already competed at JH state as an 8th grader.

As it does annually, St. Edward wrestling is competing in the 34th Annual Virginia Beach High School Nationals this weekend.

The event sponsored by the National High School Coaches Association runs Friday through Sunday inside the Virginia Beach Sports Center.

In 2022, six Eagles placed, led by JR Miller’s national championship.

This year 14 Eagles are entered.

FRESHMEN: JACOB KIEHL, KARSON BROWN, AIDEN PETERSON

SOPHOMORES: ADAM BUTLER, JOSEPH SANDERFER, CAIDEN PIRKEL, JARED GOLDBERG, TY MILLER, JR MILLER, JACK LENTZ, ANDREW HENDERSON, KHIMARI MANNS

JUNIORS: LUCAN O'BRIEN, KADE BROWN

I could see Butler getting ousted also...Brown and Manns are better athletically and technically IMO. 106 was very weak in 2022, as it turns out the two biggest ( size wise) wrestlers made the finals then. The SC not coming close to placing at 132, and Butler navigating a relatively weak field at 120 to take fifth relying on a headlock to pull off a quarter final win then completely soundly beaten in a rematch...no one other than Blaze on the national radar remotely. He/they may find him a way in depending on how much everyone grows.
Yes, I cant beleive this is where we are at. It is what it is. Years ago, in our wrestling room, we had 2, 2x state champs wrestling off. Coaches reffed the match and there was no issue. Obviously, times have changed.
I bet you walked to school both ways with boxes on your feet? Lol times are changing I guess.

IF you ever develop the qualities and become a successful head coach then your statement becomes relevant otherwise it's just chirping from the stands.
I take it you’re a two time state champion coach? Or wait, you’re allowed to comment but I’m not? Got it!

I take it you’re a two time state champion coach? Or wait, you’re allowed to comment but I’m not? Got it!
Actually, I've been around enough elite programs to know that it might be prudent not to chastise decisions when you have very little knowledge of the dynamics that go into making those decisions.

He's I believe in the Canton South program right now although I'm not sure, don't think he'll stay, though wouldn't be a bad fit, football program is good, head wrestling coach is really good upper weight coach, he immediately becomes a HWY contender next year, a concern is probably what you stated 4-5 schools in 2 years though Ed's HC would put daddy in his place immediately, and let's face it, does Ed's really need this potential problem with dad? I mean Ed's returns practically everybody
Was sitting in the T-county section at OAC grade school state this past weekend - sounded like Hoban was the current favorite.

So you’re not an elite coach? You just hang around them? I stayed at a holiday in express last night. Does that make me qualified to comment?
Only someone arrogant would call themself elite. Someone who makes judgments on coaching decisions relative to whether their wrestlers compete against each other in a tournament. You know nothing about me. LOL

Is Whitley going to St Ed’s
I think Ed's is/was the favorite. However, he lives far east is my understanding. With Nate Skonieczny taking the Lake Catholic position, maybe he stays closer to home. Maybe Goldberg moves over to Lake Catholic as well since he seems to be the odd man out in the lineup. He lives out that way from what I gather. Heck, get Eaton over there too. Doesn't he drive in from Conneaut?! Nate is as good as it gets as a coach.

I think Ed's is/was the favorite. However, he lives far east is my understanding. With Nate Skonieczny taking the Lake Catholic position, maybe he stays closer to home. Maybe Goldberg moves over to Lake Catholic as well since he seems to be the odd man out in the lineup. He lives out that way from what I gather. Heck, get Eaton over there too. Doesn't he drive in from Conneaut?! Nate is as good as it gets as a coach.
Sounds like someone is recruiting wrestlers already attending a school. Interesting. I can almost assure you neither Eaton nor Goldberg will be going anywhere. Both should be at the very least be in wrestle offs next season if not starting.

Sounds like someone is recruiting wrestlers already attending a school. Interesting. I can almost assure you neither Eaton nor Goldberg will be going anywhere. Both should be at the very least be in wrestle offs next season if not starting.
I would hardly call promoting a coach/program and speculating that kids will transfer in recruiting. Coaches move and kids transfer, that’s just how it is nowadays.

Don't confuse mindless speculation on a message board by random screen names with actual recruiting.

Pretty unlikely kids mentioned are going to read this thread and decide to rethink their educational experience. Unless of course they are seeking a private Roman Catholic secondary school located in Mentor, Ohio with an educational community centered in the mission of Jesus Christ where young men and women of diverse interests and abilities are welcome with a balanced and rigorous curriculum, small class sizes, and strong community that will serve as a foundation for the rest of their lives. For more information please visit https://www.lakecatholic.org/ or call (440) 578-1020. Admissions representatives are standing by.

Last edited:
Did you say something about recruiting?! Stop. You look foolish. Your beloved program is the very definition. How wonderful it must be for those young men to at least be in a wrestle off for the almighty green and gold.

I think Ed's is/was the favorite. However, he lives far east is my understanding. With Nate Skonieczny taking the Lake Catholic position, maybe he stays closer to home.W Maybe Goldberg moves over to Lake Catholic as well since he seems to be the odd man out in the lineup. He lives out that way from what I gather. Heck, get Eaton over there too. Doesn't he drive in from Conneaut?! Nate is as good as it gets as a coach.
Whitely is going to Ed's, that is where he has been training, that is where his friends are, and they have multiple coaches that are more decorated both at the high school level and college level, than Skonieczny.They are also obviously proven championship caliber coaches. I would find it highly unlikely that anyone would leave St Edward for Nate Skonieczny, unless they have a personal relationship with him. Goldberg loves St Ed's, I think he will stick it out there, and Eaton would never leave that program. Not only is he close with the coaches on the wrestling staff, but he is a major part of their state championship football team.
Did you say something about recruiting?! Stop. You look foolish. Your beloved program is the very definition. How wonderful it must be for those young men to at least be in a wrestle off for the almighty green and gold.
Eaton was a state finalist this year and 2x placer, so he is more than just being in a wrestle off lol. Goldberg was also more than just "in a wrestle off for the almighty green and gold." He actually would have been the starter most likely this year, had it not been for some injury issues. I actually believe he won the initial wrestle off with O'Brien. You are just comically off base with both of your posts.

I am not from northeast Ohio. I don't believe for a moment that St Ed's goes out of the way to recruit anyone in any sport JMO... Maybe I am wrong and they do? I think the education, history, and success makes kids, ( and probably more ) parents want their kids to go there. Mailman probably knows as much as anyone and can give us some insight. I will add if kids are being recruited to go there then why would so many kids accept being on the Green team when they could start and be great at another school?

Last edited:
What Is the next Competition for the Ed’s guys. In years past I believe some did Freestyle Club duals around this time but I’m not sure of many other events or if they were on their own.