Springfield

Well, the way the offense played, I'll take being down 7 at the half. Defense has been fine, one bad angle taken on that play, and SHS took advantage. Plenty of opportunity. I liked seeing the SHS defense line with their hands on hips already. Can't miss too many more though

Coverdale has to help Brogan out when they are playing man. Where are the rub routes??? Play calling was suspect.

• Angry
Reactions: 4GX
Coverdale has to help Brogan out when they are playing man. Where are the rub routes??? Play calling was suspect.
Agree. Rub routes, crosses and slants, double moves. The line was giving him time. He also needs to tell him to throw the ball away. His cool has really been tested the past couple games, and he's not responding well.

Now, all that being said, he's made some plays against two VERY good defenses with a ton of speed.

Agree. Rub routes, crosses and slants, double moves. The line was giving him time. He also needs to tell him to throw the ball away. His cool has really been tested the past couple games, and he's not responding well.

Now, all that being said, he's made some plays against two VERY good defenses with a ton of speed.
Does anyone think he needs to look to run just a couple times a game? I mean the 4th down interception, I swear he could have run for the first if he just would have realized it was decent option. It doesn’t ever look like he might even consider it ever.

Does anyone think he needs to look to run just a couple times a game? I mean the 4th down interception, I swear he could have run for the first if he just would have realized it was decent option. It doesn’t ever look like he might even consider it ever.
I thought the same, but I think it was in respect of SHS's closing speed

I believe he was out for most of the second half not 100% sure though.
Does this explain the line's inability to get a yard or two, at least two or three times, in key situations? I know the line is not one guy-- but that was extremely depressing to see that X could not run the ball for one or two yards, at least three times, when it would have kept drives going... it got to the point, where X lined up at 4th and 1, and tried to throw an extremely risky. difficult pass into tight coverage over the middle-- I don't know what THAT was about... Brogan did get the half-yard on the QB sneak, in the 4th Quarter-- but only after trying and failing to get it straight up the middle behind the center-- and then bouncing off the pile and falling forward around the pile to the outside (after the back pushed him from behind)...

THIS was EXACTLY what I was thinking on that play-- the first down was THERE for the taking, if he just tucked it and ran--instead, he tried to jam it into a Cluster on the sideline.

Does this explain the line's inability to get a yard or two, at least two or three times, in key situations? I know the line is not one guy-- but that was extremely depressing to see that X could not run the ball for one or two yards, at least three times, when it would have kept drives going... it got to the point, where X lined up at 4th and 1, and tried to throw an extremely risky. difficult pass into tight coverage over the middle-- I don't know what THAT was about... Brogan did get the half-yard on the QB sneak, in the 4th Quarter-- but only after trying and failing to get it straight up the middle behind the center-- and then bouncing off the pile and falling forward around the pile to the outside (after the back pushed him from behind)...

Yeah, I'm not sure when he went out. The line not being able to get push in short yardage was again annoying. They do seem to struggle against stacked box situations like that, but I was fine with their blocking on the whole last night. I was actually surprised that they were able to get the corner so often, that hasn't happened much at all this year.

Unfortunately, I think part of this comes with the offensive scheme. We're probably not going to see a line in the three yards and a cloud of dust mode with Cov in charge. The runs are inside-outside zones and stretch plays, not full back lead dives. It's just not an offense made to get 2 yards, and that's a double edged sword that X fans are going to have to get use to.

THIS was EXACTLY what I was thinking on that play-- the first down was THERE for the taking, if he just tucked it and ran--instead, he tried to jam it into a Cluster on the sideline.
The first two reads on that play were open, Clifford on a sit at about 4 yards, and CK in the flat underneath him. I think BMc wasn't trusting that. When the scramble started the other way, Clifford broke towards the back of the end zone and was wide open.

Right now, BMc's confidence is shot to hell, and it's pretty obvious. The wheel route drop didn't help at all. Cov needs to do everything he can to make it easy for him early in the game next week, and this week in practice as well.

We were ALL worried about the X defense, they have a tough time with the big play, but they seem to be figuring it out. Huge task though against PC.

StX WRs have simply been pushed around these last two weeks. Two of the INTs last night were because the Springfield DBs out muscled the STX WRS. Clifford really stepped up his game in the second half but some of the guys are getting pushed around.

Klare is looking good, he took some big hits last night and it seemed to light a fire under him.

QB#1 was able to squeeze in some really tight throws during the regular season but the teams in the playoffs are a lot better and the windows are closing much faster.

I'm not sure which two INT's you're referring too, but I'm guessing the first (Kellom did get muscled on that one a bit, but it wasn't a great pass) and maybe the last one, which looked like it was more undercut. Either way, all 4 were bad throws, and all were unnecessary. Clifford had a whale of a second half, he might be the best route runner I've ever seen at the HS level. I agree though, either they have to muscle up against man press coverage, or make moves to get themselves free at the line. Until LW, did they really play anyone who went man on them?

I agree with Klare, and he showed some good speed last night on the TD that was called back (that holding was suspect to say the least). He, McFarlin, and the RB's really have to step up next week. BMc really has to adapt to taking what the defense is giving him too, he does seem to be forcing throws into windows that aren't there, and they are throws he doesn't have to make.

I'm not sure which two INT's you're referring too, but I'm guessing the first (Kellom did get muscled on that one a bit, but it wasn't a great pass) and maybe the last one, which looked like it was more undercut. Either way, all 4 were bad throws, and all were unnecessary. Clifford had a whale of a second half, he might be the best route runner I've ever seen at the HS level. I agree though, either they have to muscle up against man press coverage, or make moves to get themselves free at the line. Until LW, did they really play anyone who went man on them?

I agree with Klare, and he showed some good speed last night on the TD that was called back (that holding was suspect to say the least). He, McFarlin, and the RB's really have to step up next week. BMc really has to adapt to taking what the defense is giving him too, he does seem to be forcing throws into windows that aren't there, and they are throws he doesn't have to make.
Again, I agree with just about everything you've said here-- I will say-- not sure if this was the same video footage that you were seeing on the Spectrum streamcast-- but that hold looked pretty clear cut to us, when we watched the replay on the scoreboard-- much as I hated to acknowledge it, since it cost us a touchdown, I thought it was a pretty obvious, long extended hold (out in the open) by one of X's linemen on the right/center of the line, trying to hold somebody off in the backfield.