Springboro seeks 7th Coach in 10 years

No disrespect but I don't get the point of this comment. In 1988 Jefferson had a D2 player named Troy Gates and the year before they had 2 D1 players, Nate Craig (OU) and Rodell Guest (Colorado). Jefferson always had D1 talent for decades and could and did beat D1 schools in Ohio for all of you that are intimidated of playing "D1" schools.
Art Winston did not win the state in 1998 because he has a pro athlete, he did not have a pro athlete like someone posted above.

Looks like you are writing about 1988, which is all good

Art Winston did not win the state in 1998 because he has a pro athlete, he did not have a pro athlete like someone posted above.

Looks like you are writing about 1988, which is all good
Yes he did he had Corleone Lewis at center and Darryl Foster at guard (Penn State). I think they were referring to his 2010 team when he had Adrien Payne and Cody Latimer

Last edited:
Yes he did he had Corleone Lewis at center and Darryl Foster at guard (Penn State). I think they were referring to his 2010 team when he had Adrien Payne and Cody Latimer
1998 Corleone Lewis and Darryl Foster went to Sinclair for one year.
Correct me if I am wrong.....Corleone and Darryl were not pro athletes and Darryl Foster did not played at Penn State.

There was Devin Foster on Jefferson 2010 that went Penn State

Last edited:
1998 Corleone Lewis and Darryl Foster went to Sinclair for one year.
Correct me if I am wrong.....Corleone and Darryl were not pro athletes and Darryl Foster did not played at Penn State.

There was Devin Foster on Jefferson 2010 that went Penn State
You are correct... Darryl Foster did not play at Penn State nor was he a pro.

Springboro can be good if the kids do the work in the offseason. AAU is a joke according to Kobe Bryant and anyone with half a brain. Time in the off season should be used developing actual skills that help you with your game once the ball goes up. Shooting for a hour once a week won't get it done either. Parents blame the coaches, sometimes well deserved blame, but if they are not pushing the kids to do the right thing then they need to turn that finger around.

Springboro can be good if the kids do the work in the offseason. AAU is a joke according to Kobe Bryant and anyone with half a brain. Time in the off season should be used developing actual skills that help you with your game once the ball goes up. Shooting for a hour once a week won't get it done either. Parents blame the coaches, sometimes well deserved blame, but if they are not pushing the kids to do the right thing then they need to turn that finger around.
Don't disagree, hours of skill development are needed. But, good AAU teams help kids put those newly developed skills in to action against high level competition. Ideally they go play with friends for hours, but those days are gone so good AAU can fill that void.

Don't disagree, hours of skill development are needed. But, good AAU teams help kids put those newly developed skills in to action against high level competition. Ideally they go play with friends for hours, but those days are gone so good AAU can fill that void.
Great post, and so true you get a good AAU coach and you are doing skill work development. This is just hard to find. Only item I would disagree with is, does not have to be a high level team. A mid level team with a high end coach teaching skill work is as good as anything you will find.

The trouble with AAU is it substitutes running up and down the court with actual fundamental skill development. Kids, and unfortunately parents, today think because you go to an AAU practice for a couple of hours a week and play lots of meaningless games, you are getting better. After watching kids come back from AAU ball for 30 years, I can count on 1 hand the kids who came back in the fall that were meaningfully better than they were in March. The ones that did also worked on their game when no one was looking, putting up meaningful shots instead of their game tying half court three. You need to be putting up thousands of good quality shots with a shot that will you are able to repeat over and over again. It's like any other endeavor in life, practicing adding 2+2=5 over and over and over will never get you anywhere.

The trouble with AAU is it substitutes running up and down the court with actual fundamental skill development. Kids, and unfortunately parents, today think because you go to an AAU practice for a couple of hours a week and play lots of meaningless games, you are getting better. After watching kids come back from AAU ball for 30 years, I can count on 1 hand the kids who came back in the fall that were meaningfully better than they were in March. The ones that did also worked on their game when no one was looking, putting up meaningful shots instead of their game tying half court three. You need to be putting up thousands of good quality shots with a shot that will you are able to repeat over and over again. It's like any other endeavor in life, practicing adding 2+2=5 over and over and over will never get you anywhere.
Fully agree

I do think people need to realize that are some good AAU coaches that run good AAU practices (it's just hard to find)

Lots of great HS coaches ... Some great AAU coaches. I've came across a lot of AAU people though who have an "agenda" for whatever those reasons are. Same can be said for HS but I've encountered it less, some coaches are better than others but most want what's best for every kid deep down. AAU is really only needed at the top which is for the guys who have the ability to play basketball at the next level. It allows college coaches easy access to see how the best players in our country compete against one another. Also allows for recruiting ranking systems to determine which guys have the most potential. As an average kid who isn't even the best player on your average HS team my advice, get a plan, work on your game, go compete with the older guys in open gyms in your area. Train way more than you play. AAU at the other levels and I'd even say Jr. High on down is nothing more than a money grab. The U.S is no longer putting out all the premier basketball talent anymore and a large part of that is we have guys at the grassroots levels getting away with being bigger, faster, and stronger and not developing as well rounded of a skill set as they should have.

Lots of great HS coaches ... Some great AAU coaches. I've came across a lot of AAU people though who have an "agenda" for whatever those reasons are. Same can be said for HS but I've encountered it less, some coaches are better than others but most want what's best for every kid deep down. AAU is really only needed at the top which is for the guys who have the ability to play basketball at the next level. It allows college coaches easy access to see how the best players in our country compete against one another. Also allows for recruiting ranking systems to determine which guys have the most potential. As an average kid who isn't even the best player on your average HS team my advice, get a plan, work on your game, go compete with the older guys in open gyms in your area. Train way more than you play. AAU at the other levels and I'd even say Jr. High on down is nothing more than a money grab. The U.S is no longer putting out all the premier basketball talent anymore and a large part of that is we have guys at the grassroots levels getting away with being bigger, faster, and stronger and not developing as well rounded of a skill set as they should have.
Lots of “great”hs coaches. I don’t think so. In any sport at any level the number of great coaches is small. The term great gets way overused. I’ll take good or even very good but I believe in the pyramid the greats are at the top and that’s the smallest number.

The GWOC is definitely down, but 18 wins and a district finals appearance is definitely a major turnaround for Springboro.

Been 8 years since they last won this many games. 11 years since their last district finals trip.
I'm a Bales fan, but the Springboro program is not turned around. Take Yates, who transferred in, off that team and they are sub .500. I said it earlier in this thread, the talent in Springboro is just not that good in 9-12 grade and they will have to continue to get kids to be good until some of the younger kids are ready.

I have said it a few times, it is a great year to be pretty good in Dayton D1.

Pretty sure they played Moeller in the district finals in 2019 or 2020.

I'm a Bales fan, but the Springboro program is not turned around. Take Yates, who transferred in, off that team and they are sub .500. I said it earlier in this thread, the talent in Springboro is just not that good in 9-12 grade and they will have to continue to get kids to be good until some of the younger kids are ready.

That can go both ways. If you take Yates out, add Greer and White.

Springboro was 1-3 last year before Greer got hurt and finished 8-11 with White playing. I concede that was against better teams.

Hot take not supported by recruiting rankings, Yates is much better than Greer as of today. And without the attention given to Yates and his passing ability, I'm not sure how any of the other Springboro kids would score.

You also have to think if he was turning the program around and doing things right maybe those two would have stayed. As I have said before he is only as good as his talent. He has two solid players can he coach them and the rest of the team up to compete with Moeller? Getting more out of what you have is the difference between being a coach that wins consistently and one that has a good season every few years.

The Beavercreek upset helped him as well in the tourney.

You also have to think if he was turning the program around and doing things right maybe those two would have stayed. As I have said before he is only as good as his talent. He has two solid players can he coach them and the rest of the team up to compete with Moeller? Getting more out of what you have is the difference between being a coach that wins consistently and one that has a good season every few years.

You could also say maybe those players who left didn't like that he was doing it a certain way. I don't think their opinion on how he was doing things is indicative of the truth. And beating Moeller seems like a lot to ask just to say he did a good job. I am not saying he is great or not just that those two things aren't really indicators to me.

You could also say maybe those players who left didn't like that he was doing it a certain way. I don't think their opinion on how he was doing things is indicative of the truth. And beating Moeller seems like a lot to ask just to say he did a good job. I am not saying he is great or not just that those two things aren't really indicators to me.
I agree with this, he has done a really good job getting this team to buy-in to Yates being the man and the rest play off him. Not easy to do.

A sign for me that the program is improving would be if no new kids show up and the kids in the program improve and duplicate some of the success they have had this year. The roster, with no transfers, is not good next year...as of today.

You are correct. They lost to Moeller by 40 in the district finals in 2020. I didn't notice when I initially glanced through.

If he gained Yates, he also lost Greer to Alter. Greer is the most talented kid on Alter's team, and probably would be at Springboro as well even if Yates were piling up more stats than him.

It is definitely a good year to be pretty good.

I think it is fair to say that all the coaches in Division 1 are only as good as their talent.

I think it is fair to say that all the coaches in Division 1 are only as good as their talent.
Explain how fairmont kept up with centerville in two games this season. There is a pretty good gap in talent level top to bottoms between those two teams. Coaching had nothing to do with it? And I am not a huge molz fan.

Explain how fairmont kept up with centerville in two games this season. There is a pretty good gap in talent level top to bottoms between those two teams. Coaching had nothing to do with it? And I am not a huge molz fan.

Do you mean that Molz is able to make up the talent deficit between Fairmont and Centerville because he is a better coach than Cupps?

Do you mean that Molz is able to make up the talent deficit between Fairmont and Centerville because he is a better coach than Cupps?
If he was a better coach than cupps he would have went 3-0 against them. I said he was able to put in a game plan that kept them competitive with Centerville.