Some love for AHS boys basketball

Capo Cannoli

Congrats on the 4-0 start, going to C. South and playing in that box is never easy. 2-0 in the NBC... Keep it up

the next game is

12/19/08 7:30 PM vs. Marlington (Alliance, OH) the Duke's come to Harry Fail's Gym this Friday

Last edited:

Gota love boys hoop squad and Coach "k"

He does more with less than any coach at ahs

Got love for graf,but he has had some good players the last few years. Well, maybe not last year, HE had an excellant year

GO FLYERS !!!

:crush:

Got love for graf,but he has had some good players the last few years. Well, maybe not last year, HE had an excellant year

He obviously had good players last year if the POY came out of Alliance...glad to see you pay attention :rolleyes:

Anyway....
Coach K has done a stellar job with the team so far! Hope he and the Aviators can keep this thing going!!!

For those that do not know, Alliance currently has a 24 game winning streak in what is now known as Harry Fails Gymnasium. A span of about 2 1/2 seasons. I feel as if I should not have to come on here and tell Aviator Nation that, but we all know that there probably isn't a single teacher, board member, or person in that athletic office that takes enough pride in the program to know it.

GO ALLIANCE!!! FORK THE FARMERS!!!

One player doesn't make a whole team, esp. in baseball:shrug:

Thanks for the streak info. I didn't know about the home winning streak. I guesss i fall into the loser category with the above mentioned administrators:angel:

One player doesn't make a whole team, esp. in baseball:shrug:

Thanks for the streak info. I didn't know about the home winning streak. I guesss i fall into the loser category with the above mentioned administrators:angel:

I have always said that the booster club should step up and do something about this...maybe putting up a sign in the gym that keeps track of it that could be changed as it increases. Sort of something like what Canton South does with the total wins in their gym.

I have always said that the booster club should step up and do something about this...maybe putting up a sign in the gym that keeps track of it that could be changed as it increases. Sort of something like what Canton South does with the total wins in their gym.
Booster club we still have one? Every other school has a booster club for each sports program.

Good idea Bushman

Easy on the boosters Fat Daddy And Cappo. they do what they can, it may not be alot and/or not enough but with the small numbers i quess thats all they can do. Plus there isn't alot of extra money floating around A-Town. putting up a sign or banner to keep track of wins wouldn't cost much or take much time to change. Maybe an ex-coach has time to do it?:shrug:

I just think that there should be boosters clubs for different sports , ie a Gridiron club a Dugout club and so on. I think the boosters do what they can
any way this is about the boys basketball team...

Congrats on beating the Duke's tonight at home to run that win steak up another game

25 and counting!

keep this rolling aviators!!!

I want to take the time now to take back my idea on the winning streak banner, because the second that thing goes up will be the game they blow it hahaha

Home | Back
Alliance 5 is 5-for-5
Email To A Friend
Printer Friendly
Comments
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Per Alliance Review

Mike Keating
13 hours ago
By MIKE KEATING

Review Lead Sports Writer

Even though their starting lineup was reconstructed with four new starters, the Alliance Aviators soared to five straight wins for the second consecutive season.

Senior third-year regular Marquez McLendon, who grew three inches over the last year, is the tie-in between this year's team and last year's squad, which finished 18-5 and advanced to the Canton Division II district semifinals.

McLendon, a 5-11 point guard, helped the Aviators beat non-conference foes Fairless and Austintown Fitch, and Northeastern Buckeye Conference rivals Northwest, Canton South and Marlington.

"Anytime you have an experienced point guard back like McLendon it makes a world of difference in your basketball team," Canton South head coach Matt Kramer. "He can handle the basketball against pressure, he's the guy they want with the ball with the game on the line, and he gives them leadership."

McLendon has scored a team-high 74 points (15.0 avg.), reaching double figures in each of the first five games. His floor game has also expanded, highlighted by a 11-rebound game at Canton South.

"He's a good passer and gets everybody involved," Alliance head coach Larry Kukura lauded. "He has done a good job making everyopne feel comfortable and he's playing within confines of the offense."

McLendon has converted 15 of foul shots (94 percent), including 13 of 14 (93 percent) in the fourth quarter.

"I know I'm going to have the ball in my hands more, especially in the fourth quarter," McLendon said. "I've worked hard on my foul shooting (technique) and my concentration."

McLendon is part of an eight-man rotation which also consists of 5-11 senior guard Quintin Banks, 5-11 senior guard Za-vaughn Lilly, 6-0 junior guard Darell Jones, 6-3 senior center Dartez Colbert, 6-3 senior center J.J. Williams, 6-0 senior forward Logan Nordquist and 6-2 junior forward Dominique Cooper.

McLendon has the best points-per-game average, but has only topped the Aviators in scoring in one game, netting 22 points in the 58-51 win at Canton South.

Lilly tallied a team-high 16 points and Banks added 11 in a 64-57 win over Fairless. Colbert netted 20 points and Jones contributed 15 points in a 70-58 win over Fitch. Jones made 16 markers and Colbert added 12 in the 63-56 win over Northwest, Colbert netted 15 points at Canton South, and Banks poured in 14 during the 54-41 win over Marlington.

Colbert (14.4 avg.) and Jones (10.4 avg.) are also averaging double figures, while Banks averages eight points and Lilly nets seven. Williams, Nordquist and Cooper have combined to tally nine points a game.

"Balanced scoring is our strength," Kukura opined. "We don't need one guy to score 25-30 points a game in every game. The more balanced scoring you have, the tougher you are to defend."

Alliance can vary its offensive tempo, running when pressed and slowing the game down after building a sizable lead, learning from a disastrous fourth quarter against Fairless when it handled the ball poorly against pressure and rushed shots. The Falcons outscored the Aviators 24-9 in the final 5:12 to cut deeply into a 22-point deficit.

"Larry has done a good job getting them to play under control," Marlington head coach Nick Evanich lauded. "They are athletic, they can run and press, but they are also disciplined in a halfcourt game."

Alliance is versatile offensively. It can execute in transition like it did against Austintown Fitch, scoring 24 of its 31 baskets on layups. The Aviators have also spread the floor and take time off the clock, drawing fouls and sinking the majority of them (13 of 17) like they did in the win over the Wildcats at Canton South.

The Aviators have faced several different defenses. Fairless played a straight 2-3 zone, Austintown Fitch double-team trapped all over the floor, Northwest played a matchup zone, Canton South rotated man-to-man and zone and Marlington employed a 1-2-2 zone.

"Alliance does a good job recognizing the defense and attacking it," Evanich said.

Alliance varies the pace defensively, pressing fullcourt with its diamond look before dropping back into man-to-man, or employing a 1-3-1 halfcourt trap.

"We like to run and look to score, but we know we have to play defense and play as a team," Kukura stressed.

Alliance has been a second-half team. They were trailing Northwest 23-21 and Canton South 29-27 at halftime, and they were tied at 21-21 against Marlington before seizing command the final two quarters, outscoring the Indians 42-33, the Wildcats 31-22 and the Dukes 33-21.

"We've just gone out and executed very well after halftime," Kukura stated. "We moved the ball well and we were patient."

Alliance is idle this week, which is OK with Kukura. Practice time has been used for repititions.

"We've been using this week to go over things, sharpen things and make our role players better," Kukura said. "Williams and Nordquist didn't play last year, so this has been a good time with getting them more familiar with our style of play."

It's been a style which has produced wins in the first five games heading into next Tuesday's matchup against Louisville

Thanks Cappo, But I get the Review....:hello:

sorry there Pal you must be a
ITG.jpg

This week should be a pretty good test for the A-town flyers. Louisville and Minerva. Minerva is the surprise, but not the surprise. Louisville always plays us tough. Hopefully Nordquist does not get hit in the face this game.

This week should be a pretty good test for the A-town flyers. Louisville and Minerva. Minerva is the surprise, but not the surprise. Louisville always plays us tough. Hopefully Nordquist does not get hit in the face this game.

OUCH!!:eek:
Lets go Alliance, keep this winning streak going!!! GO RED & BLUE!

p.s. wear your mouthpieces!! :cool:

No question about being a big week

Minerva knocked off Malvern Sat at their place, tough place to play

Louisville, from what I hear look to run alittle more, than the past. Should be exciting !!!!

GO AVIATORS !!!!

AHS must be a 2nd half team going on a 16-3 run to start the 3rdQ (NICE)
a few thing I saw- our inbound plays need a lil work, and we made a few dumb fouls, this team i think will grow together. Good luck boys, keep on going

It is set. This Friday a battle of unbeatens. Minerva and Alliance at Minerva. This should be a great game. They have a big man that scores many points. We will need to put a body on him. Williams and Daetez will have a workout Friday night. I do not think they have anyone that can cover Quez, but we will need a complete team effort. See you there.

WAY TO GO A-TOWN !!!!!!

---- pit was a little silent last night, hope it picks up when school gets back in.

Tough game Friday and it seems like we always get hammered down there...hard gym to come away with a victory.

A-TOWN WINS IN A CLOSE ONE, MAYBE IN OT....GO FLYERS !!!!!

It is set. This Friday a battle of unbeatens. Minerva and Alliance at Minerva. This should be a great game. They have a big man that scores many points. We will need to put a body on him. Williams and Daetez will have a workout Friday night. I do not think they have anyone that can cover Quez, but we will need a complete team effort. See you there.

The only working out Williams will be getting these days is the ones he gets at baseball conditioning. He quit the team after the Louisville game.

took one on the chin tonight. We played tough, but our defense seemed to get a little lax in the third. The Locke kid can shoot the 3ball. Chalk this one up and get ready for "the Branch" on Tuesday.

playing time???

His heart just wasn't in it so he left on good terms with the team and coach K. I support JJ's decision...always felt like it was something he was going for the family and not himself (playing). JJ's main focus is baseball and should be at the collegiate level...kid's got one helll of an arm.

took one on the chin tonight. We played tough, but our defense seemed to get a little lax in the third. The Locke kid can shoot the 3ball. Chalk this one up and get ready for "the Branch" on Tuesday.

Tough loss for the Aviators. In my opinion you can't rotate just 6 guys in the second half and expect to win at Minerva against a tough Lions team against their home crowd.

I think we'll get have it back in order this week and take 2 more big conference wins.

go alliance!!!

Finally back in Harry Fails gym after a short road stand. Let's make it 28 tonight and take down Kramer & Co.

GO ALLIANCE!!!

What happened to Quez? I heard he broke a school policy. I hope this doesn't happen again, cause the offense is poor at best without him.

What happened to Quez? I heard he broke a school policy. I hope this doesn't happen again, cause the offense is poor at best without him.

You say 'school policy' like he brought a gun to school. Quez showed up late to school and the rule is that you must attend at least half the school day to be able to participate in a sporting event. Surely this rule has been bent over the years with athletes, but this time it was not the case. With saying that, I am not disagreeing with the way action was taken on Quez. It's just all about bouncing back and coming together for this close-knit group of guys here down the stretch and heading into the Field House.