SLC... where art thou?

SLC strolls into a loss and it gets me to thinking.. Is SLC down? Would it be better for the image of Texas football if SLC failed to win a state title this year? Lakeland knocked off St X in OT last year while St X was in a "down year", but they ended up going 10-2 and missing the final four... Is Texas ball overrated if their state juggernaut can't even win one game against good OOS competition in a game where you have 30k screaming fans? If that's not a home field advantage I don't know what one is... The beginning of the end for SLC? Will they get back to scheduling the same in state teams after their experiment failed?

I guess if SLC runs the table, that might set people talking about FL v. TX. But let's be realistic.....it's one game between 2 very good teams. Nothing more, nothing less.

SLC strolls into a loss and it gets me to thinking.. Is SLC down? Would it be better for the image of Texas football if SLC failed to win a state title this year? Lakeland knocked off St X in OT last year while St X was in a "down year", but they ended up going 10-2 and missing the final four... Is Texas ball overrated if their state juggernaut can't even win one game against good OOS competition in a game where you have 30k screaming fans? If that's not a home field advantage I don't know what one is... The beginning of the end for SLC? Will they get back to scheduling the same in state teams after their experiment failed?

I don't know that the "experiment" failed.

They played on National TV twice and this past time in front of 32K people.

If used correctly, the result, although it certainly stings some, will help the team reach its long term goal of winning the state championship.

The game certainly identified and exposed certain weaknesses that will need to be improved as the season goes on.

There sure is a lot of crap said by meny Texas posters(as with all states) and some SL posters, but I don't think you have heard much from the staff or players that would indicate otherwise.

Let me give you our opinion

General conversation this morning at work was the best team won (true) It could have been worse (true) and those rich little wh--- boys embarrassed the whole state of Texas (also true)

This MNW team is one of the best to come out of Florida in a very long time. The Lakeland team of last year would lose to MNW by two touchdowns at least. IMO

Every big state has a powerhouse team that comes up once in awhile - 2007 MNW is that team in Florida. SLC losing to them does not mean anything in terms of which state plays the best football.
People from Florida act like this is the type of team they get every year. That is simply not true.

Who knows what SLC will do in the future. The state of Texas thinks they have a good team. You will not know how good a team they have until the season concludes. The same can be said for Miami Northwestern, but on Saturday they were the better team.

I want to compare the home field advantage of 31,896 fans supporting SLC. Home field advantage? Definitely. But how is this any different that the 2007 Herbie at Nippert. Every one of the Ohio teams had an advantage. But what I find interesting is one game in Dallas drew 31,896 versus four games at Nippert (including the highly acclaimed Colerain vs Hoover matchup) drawing 32,868 fans or 8,217 per game. The fact is Texas turned out for this manufacted event. If you were a promoter would you not look at doing more of these events IN Texas? Why would you ask a team like SLC to go out of state for a "suspect gate".

Food for thought. This is the precise reason the promoters did not want to move the game to the Bay Area for DLS.

SLCDad what did a ticket cost?

General conversation this morning at work was the best team won (true) It could have been worse (true) and those rich little wh--- boys embarrassed the whole state of Texas (also true)

I do not think they embarrased the state of Texas

I do think they were reading too many of their press clippings, especially the perfect city USA debacle

the body language and facial expressions in those pics told me they were ripe for a beating, just a little too smug with themselves

and that happens all too frequently

Little Secret

People where I live hate Southlake. Nothing to do with money, we have wealth also. Has more to do with that smug little attitude that you aren't welcome in "our perfect little town" I went in to work this morning and thought people would be upset. Heck they were laughing their tails off.

People where I live hate Southlake. Nothing to do with money, we have wealth also. Has more to do with that smug little attitude that you aren't welcome in "our perfect little town" I went in to work this morning and thought people would be upset. Heck they were laughing their tails off.

I am not a Southlake fan either but I wanted them to win this one. SLC did not embarrass TX one bit. Even if they win the state championship MNW is just one of those special teams.

Lets not forget that SLC had 9 starters on Defense playing their 2nd varsity game going against a proven very explosive veteran offense.

Later in the season maybe they don't give up that 77 yard touchdown pass from a blown coverage.

I am not a Southlake fan either but I wanted them to win this one. SLC did not embarrass TX one bit. Even if they win the state championship MNW is just one of those special teams.

Lets not forget that SLC had 9 starters on Defense playing their 2nd varsity game going against a proven very explosive veteran offense.

Later in the season maybe they don't give up that 77 yard touchdown pass from a blown coverage.

in my opinion the reason they lost the game was because the offense did not show up

1 good scoring drive

another small short scoring drive

and thats it

5 turnovers

no running game

qb harrassed

big hits

those were not casued by a new defense with new players

the offense did not show up

and it was not ablown coverage it was an excellent designed play the qb looked off the defense rotated and tth epost-wheel play worked

not a blown coverage by young players

turn off the excuse machine

Do you realize that your feelings about Southlake are YOUR problem not ours? Southlake is a very welcoming city. The people are terrific. I went to parent's night for 9th grade tonight. The place was PACKED with involved and very good parents. You are the one with the problem, not Southlake.

SLC was playing cover 2. In cover 2 no man gets behind you on your half of the field.

There wasn't a SLC defender within 15 yards of the guy. I call that a blown coverage.

A better defense equals more opportunity for your offense. SLC's offense was not as productive because of the MNW defenders not because the offense did not show up.

If SLC's defense would have been as good as at least last years, the game is much tighter.

I do not think they embarrased the state of Texas

I do think they were reading too many of their press clippings, especially the perfect city USA debacle

the body language and facial expressions in those pics told me they were ripe for a beating, just a little too smug with themselves

and that happens all too frequently

Do you realize that picture was posed? They were told how to look. They were told what expressions to have. The cheerleader was Janelle Jacobson (McKay Jacobson's sister. McKay was 1st team all-state for SLC and graduated with honors early so he could join BYU spring football. He was a freshman starter at BYU last year and he is now a full time missionary for two years.) I've known the Jacobson family for many years since Janelle was a todler. They have six terrific kids. Their dad, Evan, told me all about the photo shoot. He was there.

You are being very judgemental from looking only at a picture.

The truth is, SLC got beat by a better team. MNW has extraordinary athletes.

I think SLC showed itself very well. SLC wouldn't beat anybody with five turnovers. Newton fumbled on the MNW six yard line (first half). Dodge was intercepted in the endzone (first half). SLC last three drives (when the game was on the line) ended in interception, interception and missed FG.

Despite the FIVE SLC turnovers, the stats for the game were amazingly close. SLC would lose to many teams if they had five turnovers.

After the game the MNW QB, Jacory Harris, said that his team had misjudged SLC. He said they were REALLY good. He is right. The Miami faithful were predicting a blowout. The facts are, the game wasn't decided until late in the 4th qtr.

Do you realize that picture was posed? They were told how to look. They were told what expressions to have. The cheerleader was Janelle Jacobson (McKay Jacobson's sister. McKay was 1st team all-state for SLC and graduated with honors early so he could join BYU spring football. He was a freshman starter at BYU last year and he is now a full time missionary for two years.) I've known the Jacobson family for many years since Janelle was a todler. They have six terrific kids. Their dad, Evan, told me all about the photo shoot. He was there.

You are being very judgemental from looking only at a picture.

The truth is, SLC got beat by a better team. MNW has extraordinary athletes.

I think SLC showed itself very well. SLC wouldn't beat anybody with five turnovers. Newton fumbled on the MNW six yard line (first half). Dodge was intercepted in the endzone (first half). SLC last three drives (when the game was on the line) ended in interception, interception and missed FG.

Despite the FIVE SLC turnovers, the stats for the game were amazingly close. SLC would lose to many teams if they had five turnovers.

After the game the MNW QB, Jacory Harris, said that his team had misjudged SLC. He said they were REALLY good. He is right. The Miami faithful were predicting a blowout. The facts are, the game wasn't decided until late in the 4th qtr.

I dont disagree with much

SLC is a great program

they have good players

good facilities

good coaching

good system

they have proved themselves

unfortunatley they did not perform on their big chance at a national stage

thats too bad

I do disagree on the smugness

the article PERFECT CITY USA was in my opinion not a good thing and added to the smugness and reading your own press clippings

I think that attitude (called winners disease) contributed to the loss

excuses excuses... is it that SLC had 5 turnovers, or was it MNW that forced 5 turnovers? SLCDad I'd like an honest answer to my previous question. Will it be good or bad for Texas football if SLC wins state?

I do disagree on the smugness

the article PERFECT CITY USA was in my opinion not a good thing and added to the smugness and reading your own press clippings

I think that attitude (called winners disease) contributed to the loss

How do you know they had "smugness" and "read their own press clippings"?

How do you know that? How do you know the attitude they had/have?

Honestly, how do you know this stuff?

Last edited:

How do you now that? How do you know the attitude they had/have?

let it go

for once

enjoy your impressive winning streak

let it go

excuses excuses... is it that SLC had 5 turnovers, or was it MNW that forced 5 turnovers? SLCDad I'd like an honest answer to my previous question. Will it be good or bad for Texas football if SLC wins state?

If you look at each of the 5 turnovers you'll see that at least 3 were SLC mistakes and not really forced turnovers. Two exmples come to mind: Tre Newton fumbled on the six yard line. Yeah, he got hit hard, but any running back should be able to hold on to the ball in the open field. The hit wasn't THAT hard. Padron missed an open receiver in the endzone for an interception. Not forced either.

I think SLC will make a good run at the state title this year. If anybody thinks that one game (in week TWO for goodness sake) against a team like MNW is the basis for judging a whole state they are a fool.

I could argue that SLC is the 2nd best team in the USA. Any team in the nation would have their hands full against MNW which could be the most talented team in the history of Florida football.

(By the way, I posted about the huge MNW talent a couple of months ago. I was mocked for posting it, but I was exactly right.)

let it go

for once

enjoy your impressive winning streak

let it go

You are the one being judgemental in this case.

I ask you again:

Do you realize you are just guessing?

You've posted the same thing at least twice. I don't think you can back it up.

You are the one being judgemental in this case.

I ask you again:

Do you realize you are just guessing?

You've posted the same thing at least twice. I don't think you can back it up.

third request

LET IT GO

you are not going to get your frustrations about the 5 turnover 0 point second half by arguing on internet chat boards

show some class for once

take your loss with class

quit arguing with everybody ON THEIR OPINIONS

I have opinions

so does the guy who criticized the community (WoodyHates?)

LET IT GO

I want to compare the home field advantage of 31,896 fans supporting SLC. Home field advantage? Definitely. But how is this any different that the 2007 Herbie at Nippert. Every one of the Ohio teams had an advantage. But what I find interesting is one game in Dallas drew 31,896 versus four games at Nippert (including the highly acclaimed Colerain vs Hoover matchup) drawing 32,868 fans or 8,217 per game. The fact is Texas turned out for this manufacted event. If you were a promoter would you not look at doing more of these events IN Texas? Why would you ask a team like SLC to go out of state for a "suspect gate".

First off I completely undertsand the Ohio teams have a good advantage in the Herbie in that they are playing in state, and some teams in city games. That's not up for debate we see eye to eye. Certainly Texas loves its high school football, and I understand your logic, but that's not a fair argument. There's no part of Ohio even comparable to the Dallas-Ft Worth area in terms of pop. That's one reason for smaller crowds, but also I think that crowd was so huge because of the SLC winning streak, SLC "national championships", and of course because it was hyped up to be the greatest matchup in the history of high school football. Why isn't there a similar Texas v USA challenge? I don't know, it would definetely be more profitable than the Herbie. And like it or not I do believe that SLC is scared to go OOS to play a tough opponent. Reason? Fear of losing that streak... guess they didn't have to go OOS for that to happen.

I hate to say this but if they scheduled this game now, with all the seniors graduating, you would have a ton of transfers into MNW.

How many tranfers on this years MNW team? Is that pretty common at that school? If so, no wonder they have so many super athletes.

What I saw on TV was no ordinary 17, 18 year olds. They had some grown men.

Their coaching was also better than I had previously thought. With that kind of talent, it makes it a little easier.

SLC is still the most respected program in high school football at the present time.

well of course

the perfect city with smug little twerps taking pics and reading their own press clippings and people like you who tell them that nonsense

they were set up to lose exactly for the reason why you are posting this one sentence

next time try blocking tackling and holding on to the ball, and not telling these snot-nosed youngsters how perfect they are