Sidney Football

MACguy2021

Sidney football has gained a reputation of having undisciplined athletes over the last few years. Some consider the past few years as underachieving. Now with the loss to division 7 Fort Loramie. What is next for this program?

Sad to say probably nothing. The AD and the head coach are buddies. It looks like Sidney will not win another game. I think it may get ugly this Friday and players will start the crap on the sidelines again.

The funny thing is at Troy we had a parent yelling something at the sidelines a few times. The AD goes to the parent and basically tells her to stop. The sad thing is he does nothing about the sideline crap. Which for the AD, principal and coaches should be an embarrassment.

Sad to say probably nothing. The AD and the head coach are buddies. It looks like Sidney will not win another game. I think it may get ugly this Friday and players will start the crap on the sidelines again.

The funny thing is at Troy we had a parent yelling something at the sidelines a few times. The AD goes to the parent and basically tells her to stop. The sad thing is he does nothing about the sideline crap. Which for the AD, principal and coaches should be an embarrassment.
From what I have been told, the player will yell and cuss out the coaches in the middle of the game.
Parents are yelling and fighting.
I am just not sure why they haven’t addressed it.

I’ve been told by more than one person that Sidney is a tough spot to coach and teach. They have good facilities from what I can understand because of the donations from corporations up there. It has also been said that Sidney will not get rid of their head coach because they don’t feel they can find anyone that is any better to take the job. People say that he does care and wants to do a good job for the kids and the school, but clearly has no control of the players if they’re continually acting like jerks on the sidelines. It’s normal to have 1 episode in a season, but not a regular occurrence. They need a cultural shift in attitude and mentality. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Maybe he needs some assistants to help step up? I remember they lost a coordinator a couple years back for supposedly trying to get on a player.

Dont know if this is true but do you guys think the coach isnt trying to take care of this? Everyone posts like he isnt but thats stupid.

I didnt see any of this against Butler. In fact was the opposite. Butler had 7 pentalies for 100 yards Sidney 5 for 55 yards. Ft Loramie had 6 penalties Sidney had 6. What you are saying isnt happening.

If Sidney played Fairborn and won are we talking about this?

If Sidney kids are doing it then what are the parents doing. If my kids did this it woudnt be the coach who was down there throat as soon as it happened. Would be me.

Dont know if this is true but do you guys think the coach isnt trying to take care of this? Everyone posts like he isnt but thats stupid.

I didnt see any of this against Butler. In fact was the opposite. Butler had 7 pentalies for 100 yards Sidney 5 for 55 yards. Ft Loramie had 6 penalties Sidney had 6. What you are saying isnt happening.

If Sidney kids are doing it then what are the parents doing. If my kids did this it woudnt be the coach who was down there throat as soon as it happened. Would be me.
Seems like we are talking about two different things…. Flags are not thrown for a player who is cussing out his coaches on the sidelines.
Please go to the Sidney Stebbins game and sit on the Sidney side. Hit me up after that.

but I do agree with your point on the parents. But you’ll see first hand how their parents act when sit with them ?

Seems like we are talking about two different things…. Flags are not thrown for a player who is cussing out his coaches on the sidelines.
Please go to the Sidney Stebbins game and sit on the Sidney side. Hit me up after that.

but I do agree with your point on the parents. But you’ll see first hand how their parents act when sit with them ?
So if the parents act like that then whats the coach supposed to do?

And where did the story the kid curse the coaches come from?

I’ve been told by more than one person that Sidney is a tough spot to coach and teach. They have good facilities from what I can understand because of the donations from corporations up there. It has also been said that Sidney will not get rid of their head coach because they don’t feel they can find anyone that is any better to take the job. People say that he does care and wants to do a good job for the kids and the school, but clearly has no control of the players if they’re continually acting like jerks on the sidelines. It’s normal to have 1 episode in a season, but not a regular occurrence. They need a cultural shift in attitude and mentality. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Maybe he needs some assistants to help step up? I remember they lost a coordinator a couple years back for supposedly trying to get on a player.
I think getting lucky and hitting on a young coach is really Sidney's only option. No experienced coach would be silly enough to come here. Unfortunately they just haven't struck gold since the 80s with Fell and Deal. Sidney has had good coaches since then, namely Kemper, but things just don't seem to click. Gibson seemed to stabilize things then the program fell off a cliff after 2003. The only bright spot since then seemed to be when Doenges lucked into having Gordon and Bowser on the same roster.

How do you sell someone on coaching a program when it has at most 10 (probably a high estimate) winning seasons in 30 years?

Doenges is a good guy, who cares about the kids, but he hasn't had the respect of them or the control of his program for several years now. Players cussing out coaches, coaches cussing out other coaches in practice. Players coming to the stands to talk to their parents or others in the middle of games. Fans were heckling the offensive coordinator during the Loramie game and he acknowledged it by looking back and staring into the stands. All of this is beyond the fact that they're just not a good x's and o's team. You could forgive some of the schematic and strategic deficiencies if there was a strong culture and discipline within the program, but that's obviously not the case.

Yes Sidney has had some elite talent in the likes of Bowser and Gordon, but they've had other talent as well. That talent is simply not put in a position to succeed. They had a good assistant a few years ago that was well liked and respected by the players who had coached D1 college football for a good amount of time, but they made up a story about him and forced him out because Doenges knew that he was very well liked and perceived him as a threat to his job.

I've got nothing against Doenges, but the culture within the Sidney Football program has to change.. He's had ample opportunity to fix the issues for quite a while now. The AD can only hide behind no one wants to coach here, for so long before it's time to take a shot at fixing it. I've also heard that the AD and Doenges are close, so it seems the only way change is going to occur if there's a significant amount of pressure is put on the AD by the community to where he doesn't have a choice.

do the players show up for every practice during the week?

do the players show up for every practice during the week?
I would have to ask about that. I know from a friend that the team doesn't watch film of the game so there isn't a chance to correct alot of simple things. The players are urged to watch the films themselves.

The mistakes that are made are 7 and 8 grade mistakes. I know watching the Fort game. Fort had two receivers wide with a TE to that side. The inside receiver goes In motion across the field and the safety, who had him, doesn't pickup the next eligible man down and watches the TE run right by him for a TD. Heck we have a TV on the sidelines and the offense line coach doesn't even meet with the line and fix problems. I really don't think these coaches know how to adjust.

I will also agree with New jacket city. It makes me sick when I see players come to the sidelines to talk to mommy and get a Gatorade. At Tipp the D coordinator had to tell one of the players, "No" as in quit talking to them.

Doenges is a good guy, who cares about the kids, but he hasn't had the respect of them or the control of his program for several years now. Players cussing out coaches, coaches cussing out other coaches in practice. Players coming to the stands to talk to their parents or others in the middle of games. Fans were heckling the offensive coordinator during the Loramie game and he acknowledged it by looking back and staring into the stands. All of this is beyond the fact that they're just not a good x's and o's team. You could forgive some of the schematic and strategic deficiencies if there was a strong culture and discipline within the program, but that's obviously not the case.

Yes Sidney has had some elite talent in the likes of Bowser and Gordon, but they've had other talent as well. That talent is simply not put in a position to succeed. They had a good assistant a few years ago that was well liked and respected by the players who had coached D1 college football for a good amount of time, but they made up a story about him and forced him out because Doenges knew that he was very well liked and perceived him as a threat to his job.

I've got nothing against Doenges, but the culture within the Sidney Football program has to change.. He's had ample opportunity to fix the issues for quite a while now. The AD can only hide behind no one wants to coach here, for so long before it's time to take a shot at fixing it. I've also heard that the AD and Doenges are close, so it seems the only way change is going to occur if there's a significant amount of pressure is put on the AD by the community to where he doesn't have a choice.
It is a little mean for me to say this, but Doenges definitely has the look of a guy that’s definitely not commanding respect by his appearance.

Like the Mac guy said, go to a game and sit behind the Sidney bench. I’ve heard several times over the last several years of people that have set on the sideline and they said that players are talking back and arguing with coaches. I have not heard people talk about them getting penalties on the field for yelling at officials or undisciplined plays like that etc. I think the Sidney High guy might be right, maybe a young coach is the answer? I don’t think an experienced guy wants to sign up for that crap. Maybe if Stokes gets tired of Columbus?

Might not be a popular pick but former Vandalia coach Nathan Hyatt is a no nonsense coach that demands respect. Something to consider if he would be open to taking the job. Mixed results in his stints at CJ and Vandalia but turned around a broken Bradford team that hadn’t won in decades and had the town talking playoffs for the first time ever.

Like the Mac guy said, go to a game and sit behind the Sidney bench. I’ve heard several times over the last several years of people that have set on the sideline and they said that players are talking back and arguing with coaches. I have not heard people talk about them getting penalties on the field for yelling at officials or undisciplined plays like that etc. I think the Sidney High guy might be right, maybe a young coach is the answer? I don’t think an experienced guy wants to sign up for that crap. Maybe if Stokes gets tired of Columbus?
Sorry I am calling BS on this.

Where is the AD or principal? If Macguy is hearing it they are too. If Macguy says it happened then it must be true. :D

We have few more idiots in the stands in Sidney than most places.

They had a good assistant a few years ago that was well liked and respected by the players who had coached D1 college football for a good amount of time, but they made up a story about him and forced him out because Doenges knew that he was very well liked and perceived him as a threat to his job.
That is about 180 degrees different than the story I heard.

Said this on the MVL thread too, but I have to give the Doenges and the coaches credit, they were creative and did some nice things tonight offensively, and the defense was flying to the ball. Didn’t see anything going on, on the sidelines that shouldn’t be. It was an all around good win by the Jackets.

Sidney is definitely in some hot water. I know someone who works with the head JH coach and from what I hear people want him to be the head varsity coach. Now losing to FL on a down year for Sidney is not there biggest worry, FL is very good team (their record doesn't show it this year). However, they need a change. The city of Sidney is rough itself, so that defiantly makes it more difficult but not impossible with good coaches and strong backing from the administration. Look at Springfield, or some of the Lima schools. Good coaches, good moral and culture, and lots of athletes. Sidney has the athletes they need to recruit within there school better and get everyone playing and give themselves a larger talent pool, but once again that starts with culture.