Should A Superintendent and AD be allowed to be a Head Coach? Regardless of school size

School admins don’t hire themselves. School boards do that.
Some school boards vote positively on whoever is suggested from the admin. In reality, they are being selected by the admin.

That why reports often read "has been hired as coach, subject to Board approval."

Some school boards vote positively on whoever is suggested from the admin. In reality, they are being selected by the admin.

That why reports often read "has been hired as coach, subject to Board approval."
All true, but it would be a different process when an administrator is the candidate.

All true, but it would be a different process when an administrator is the candidate.
Negative. I have seen an AD conduct interviews only to inform the board there were no qualified candidates and then suggest he hold the position and reopen the position in the future. I also know of a former Super that informed the board he would like to take the position after a coach was released and it happened, quickly.

Negative. I have seen an AD conduct interviews only to inform the board there were no qualified candidates and then suggest he hold the position and reopen the position in the future. I also know of a former Super that informed the board he would like to take the position after a coach was released and it happened, quickly.
Thanks for the anecdotal evidence. Any non-spineless board would have serious discussions on matters like these - even if those discussions weren’t in the public view.

I'd rather see parents not allowed to coach their own kids in high school.
I'm not opposed to this under 2 conditions.

1. The coaching position is not going to be vacant if the parent doesn't coach.
2. Longtime established coaches shouldn't have to give up their spot because their kid is coming through the school.

I'm not opposed to this under 2 conditions.

1. The coaching position is not going to be vacant if the parent doesn't coach.
2. Longtime established coaches shouldn't have to give up their spot because their kid is coming through the school.
To your second point. I think there's a big difference bewtween a coach who's established, and their player comes of age compared to a parent gets hired once the player is on the team.

Hint: most schools have administration as teachers in the district. The Teachers Union says so at a lot of places.

Tri Village in Darke County BBK coach is the superintendent and the GBK is the AD.

There are many, many ADs who serve as head coaches, especially at smaller schools. Heck the ECA AD in Springfield coached TWO sports at one time.

Many times the AD role is a supplemental just like coaching, so they are doing to do both.

Superintendents or principals coaching is far less common but as has been stated, superintendents work for the board and the board approves ALL hires and could stop it at any time by vote.

Just want to get some takes on this. Should a Superintendent and AD be aloud to be head coaches? I’ve looked at most districts in Ohio and Eastern Indiana, and there are a handful of scenarios this happens. Most are successful small programs, but with competitive balance I see these programs moving up to D3/D2 area. Should this be aloud?
Probably should have waited a few weeks to post this thread.... they are going to drop 100 on your girls and boys now