Shooting at AAU tourney

The girls tourneys aren't immune to the behavior.

The article and video clip I posted above was from a girls tourney in Indianapolis last weekend.
I forgot to mention that I was surprised by this behavior at a girls event. When you work an OHSAA game, you feel that you have some backing. Unfortunately, the events where teams are paying to play, you are on your own.

I forgot to mention that I was surprised by this behavior at a girls event. When you work an OHSAA game, you feel that you have some backing. Unfortunately, the events where teams are paying to play, you are on your own.
Yup. You will find that most officials who are working the “best” high school varsity schedules stay away from these games. There’s a reason for that.

I pretty much only work these games if I’m working an officiating camp in conjunction. Because I know I’ll have the backing of whoever’s running the camp, and that’s really all I care about.

Parents seem to be worse this year at the high school basketball games I went to. Every call that is made has a parent screaming and every call that isn’t made has another parent screaming. This isn’t just AAU or low income areas either. Eventually we are going to run out of refs because these millennials are having all this conflict and they don’t care about the money.

Parents seem to be worse this year at the high school basketball games I went to. Every call that is made has a parent screaming and every call that isn’t made has another parent screaming. This isn’t just AAU or low income areas either. Eventually we are going to run out of refs because these millennials are having all this conflict and they don’t care about the money.
It sounds like this is a problem in Ohio and nationally. Someone posted numbers earlier. Who will want to do the job?

I am sure it gets worse every year, but probably magnified by limited number of people at games this year. With a full gym some of that nonsense gets drowned out, with a nearly empty gym this year every word could probably be heard.

I am sure it gets worse every year, but probably magnified by limited number of people at games this year. With a full gym some of that nonsense gets drowned out, with a nearly empty gym this year every word could probably be heard.
I have been to multiple tourneys so far this year and there have been NO limitations on the number of people allowed in. These events only care that you have the $10 to get in.

I have been to multiple tourneys so far this year and there have been NO limitations on the number of people allowed in. These events only care that you have the $10 to get in.

My response was to a comment about HS games. There were definitely limitations on spectators for HS games this year.

Right, man. I carry and If I had to carry, to a dang organized basketball tourney, I just won’t go. What’s the safer alternative though for the kids if there is one?
I never carried many places, but AAU tournaments seemed like a good time to carry. Several years ago after a rather serious incident of my calling out a team for intentionally cheating that got ugly, they booted the father who was pressuring the scorekeepers from the game.

After the game as I was exiting the gym the guy attempted to physically assault me but was taken down by two fathers of my team who saw it coming. The guys wife then says " I'm going to the car to get my gun". I had mine in the bag I was holding so I quickly went for my car. As I was pulling out of the parking lot two police cruisers were pulling in with urgency. I never heard from the police force but the father who tried to attack me was charged with multiple charges, then in typical fashion all charges were dropped. Made me think twice before reporting another team for cheating, but it happened a couple years later in Florida, but that time the game officials handled everything professionally and simply removed the team from the tournament.

I am surprised with how important athletics is to many dads, this kind of thing seldom happens.

I never carried many places, but AAU tournaments seemed like a good time to carry. Several years ago after a rather serious incident of my calling out a team for intentionally cheating that got ugly, they booted the father who was pressuring the scorekeepers from the game.

After the game as I was exiting the gym the guy attempted to physically assault me but was taken down by two fathers of my team who saw it coming. The guys wife then says " I'm going to the car to get my gun". I had mine in the bag I was holding so I quickly went for my car. As I was pulling out of the parking lot two police cruisers were pulling in with urgency. I never heard from the police force but the father who tried to attack me was charged with multiple charges, then in typical fashion all charges were dropped. Made me think twice before reporting another team for cheating, but it happened a couple years later in Florida, but that time the game officials handled everything professionally and simply removed the team from the tournament.

I am surprised with how important athletics is to many dads, this kind of thing seldom happens.

Game Officials in Florida reserve the right to remove a Team from the Tournament? That’s a lot of authority for Game Offficials ands seems totally out of their “jurisdiction.”

Game Officials in Florida reserve the right to remove a Team from the Tournament? That’s a lot of authority for Game Offficials ands seems totally out of their “jurisdiction.”
Well it was an odd situation, we actually played the entire game, then they informed the team afterwards they were being removed from the tournament.

We were on the floor warming up when another teams coach called me over and pointing to a big 7' kid says " that kid plays for me but they picked him up after we lost". So the game officials were informed on the matter and said they would look into it and turns out they had two kids they picked up that way. I'm certain you are correct it was not the guys with whistles who made the decision. When I use the term game officials I am including whoever does tournament oversight for AAU nationals.

I am not familiar with AAU at all. I just knew a lady whose son played for one of these shoe sponsored teams and he was gone all the time and she never really paid for much of his basketball fees. I am a baseball and swimming guy but doesn't the sanctioning body of said tourneys have the authority to discipline organizations and teams? If so, why doesn't the hammer come down?

I am not familiar with AAU at all. I just knew a lady whose son played for one of these shoe sponsored teams and he was gone all the time and she never really paid for much of his basketball fees. I am a baseball and swimming guy but doesn't the sanctioning body of said tourneys have the authority to discipline organizations and teams? If so, why doesn't the hammer come down?
Most tournaments aren't actually AAU. That's just become what they're called.

I don't know how much money will allow people to tolerate that kind of behavior and it seems to be common in these basketball events. There are baseball tourneys that last over a week with 400 teams that don't have that kind of craziness.
400 teams that's crazy. Must be quite the complex. My guess is because in baseball nobody's banging into each other with regularity, without things being called "fairly".

I don't know how much money will allow people to tolerate that kind of behavior and it seems to be common in these basketball events. There are baseball tourneys that last over a week with 400 teams that don't have that kind of craziness.
I can’t speak to baseball. Travel basketball tournament directors, by and large, are scared to death of losing their gravy trains so teams and coaches often get away with completely atrocious behavior. I’ve seen it happen many times. In the southeast US there’s a group called Phenom Hoop Report which has allowed at least one program that has caused problem after problem to continue participating in their events. Why? “They pay a lot of money to Phenom” was the actual quote from the director.

It's been a while since I was following my son around to travel tournaments. Not at the top level, but pretty close... Anyway, I can say that I was lucky enough not to see any violence. But what struck me was the amount of gambling that went on in the stands!

400 teams that's crazy. Must be quite the complex. My guess is because in baseball nobody's banging into each other with regularity, without things being called "fairly".
The baseball tourney is in Atlanta. But I did not think of the contact. That is a real good point. Sounds like "club basketball" needs a really strong sanctioning body.

How about the parents put most of the money into tutors. That’s where the money is. It’s called academics. What a bunch of dreamers. Too stupid to know

It sounds like this is a problem in Ohio and nationally. Someone posted numbers earlier. Who will want to do the job?
“What we allow, we encourage “. A bunch of idiot parents. Go away parents go away. Watch it on YouTube or live steaming. Deaded your pain and your kids embarrassed.