Shawn Nelson at Penn State

DubStat

Ohio wrestling analytics
Nelson took 4th in the nation as a sophomore at 126 and then has a couple incidents his junior year that kept him off the mat but from what I could find it appeared he returned later in the year.

but I can’t find any results for the postseason his junior or senior year. I found a couple articles that mentioned a knee injury.

Do you know what kept him from competing at nationals his last two years?

Ok, he did compete at nationals his junior year, falling in the blood round. But don’t see big ten or national results for his senior year.

Ok, he did compete at nationals his junior year, falling in the blood round. But don’t see big ten or national results for his senior year.
From what I read on facebook they forced him to wrestle down a weight for the betterment of the team and he did not make weight at Big Tens

From what I read on facebook they forced him to wrestle down a weight for the betterment of the team and he did not make weight at Big Tens
In 1994 Penn State had Sanshiro Abe from Japan at 126.
In 1993 Abe placed 4th in the NCAA as a freshman at 126.
In 1994 Shawn Nelson was a senior at Penn State.
In 1992 as a sophomore, Nelson placed 4th at the NCAA at 126 lb.
In 1993 his junior year, Nelson lost in the blood round by a score of 4-3 at 118 lb.
Penn State had two tough lightweights in 1994 and wanted to have them both in the lineup.
Abe placed 3rd at the 1994 NCAA Tournament, 2nd in 1995, and 1st in 1996.
Abe also made the Japanese Olympic team in 1996, having to leave Penn State several times during the season to travel to Japan for the tryouts.

Last edited:
In 1994 Penn State had Sanshiro Abe from Japan at 126.
In 1993 Abe placed 4th in the NCAA as a freshman at 126.
In 1994 Shawn Nelson was a senior at Penn State.
In 1992 as a sophomore, Nelson placed 4th at the NCAA at 118 lb.
In 1993 his junior year, Nelson lost in the blood round by a score of 4-3 at 118 lb.
Penn State had two tough lightweights in 1994 and wanted to have them both in the lineup.
Abe placed 3rd at the 1994 NCAA Tournament, 2nd in 1995, and 1st in 1996.
Abe also made the Japanese Olympic team in 1996, having to leave Penn State several times during the season to travel to Japan for the tryouts.
au contraire, mon freire, Nelson was 4th at 126 in 1992, after wrestling 118 all season beating both zap and akin. It wasn’t till Brands bullied Jeff Prescott in that same Iowa dual did prescott move down to 118 and wins it. (Nelsons match with brands was closer, and he man handled zap while Prescott won 2-0)

Nelson was a consensus #1 @ 126 in 1994, Hirsch from Cornell won it, who I don’t think could have scored on Shawn…

another case for multiple entries per weight class if we are really trying to curb drastic weight cutting.

Hope you are well old friend✌️

Couldn't resist...

Attachments

• Nelson.jpg
    Nelson.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 32