Sectionals to Hoover

dion

True wrestling fans might think I'm strange, but my favorite weekend of the wrestling season has always been the weekend of districts. I guess I see it as the first step of "the going to State experience", of watching the cream rise to the top. I find seeding from sectionals and the resulting district brackets very intriguing. If you're projected to be in the top 2-3 (in the state) in your weight class then seeding and the brackets may not have the drama, but for most wrestlers where they land in their bracket can make a world of difference. Looking at the Wadsworth Sectional, and I might be way off, but depending on seeding criteria it looks like all 14 of Wadsworth's wrestlers will be in the finals with 9 champs. Certainly no disrespect meant for other teams competing in this sectional (not sure how good this is for the sport) but being a one seed in your quarter bracket at districts usually isn't a bad thing and if those who placed 2nd at Wadsworth were to draw a three seed from either Fitch or Euclid it would probably be a good draw.

The MP Sectional would be a different story. Again, if my calculations are correct, we could see 11 of the 14 championship matches pitting MP vs Brecksville. Four of those matches will be against projected state placers and three more would be with both wrestlers projected in the top 10 in their weight class. What this means is there will be a good number of #1 seeds in their quarter bracket at Hoover that will receive a rude awakening in their second bout.

Because Brecksville chose to go to MP ( even though I found it curious I'm sure Coach Haverdill had his reasons) there will be a number of wrestlers from the Fitch and Euclid Sectionals going to Hoover who ordinarily may or may not make it. I would guess that unless a champion from Fitch or Euclid is projected as a state placer they may have a rough go of their second bout at districts by wrestling the 2 seed from the MP Sectional.

Hope this post hasn't stepped on anyone's feet. Just thought I'd share a few thoughts that are only my opinions.

Additionally, of interest, there will be a total of 56 wrestlers going to the state tournament from Hoover, 29 are projected to be from Brecksville, Wadsworth, and Massillon Perry. That's over half from those three schools. There will be 37 teams represented at Hoover.

Last edited:

I know this is a sectional talk, but on the subject of NCH District, all I can say is HWT will be insane and the top 3 (Ries, Fockler, Andrews), are all going to be hoping that they have the side with just them.

I know this is a sectional talk, but on the subject of NCH District, all I can say is HWT will be insane and the top 3 (Ries, Fockler, Andrews), are all going to be hoping that they have the side with just them.
The good news is that regardless of what happens at Hoover, all three will/should be in Columbus.

True wrestling fans might think I'm strange, but my favorite weekend of the wrestling season has always been the weekend of districts. I guess I see it as the first step of "the going to State experience", of watching the cream rise to the top. I find seeding from sectionals and the resulting district brackets very intriguing. If you're projected to be in the top 2-3 (in the state) in your weight class then seeding and the brackets may not have the drama, but for most wrestlers where they land in their bracket can make a world of difference. Looking at the Wadsworth Sectional, and I might be way off, but depending on seeding criteria it looks like all 14 of Wadsworth's wrestlers will be in the finals with 9 champs. Certainly no disrespect meant for other teams competing in this sectional (not sure how good this is for the sport) but being a one seed in your quarter bracket at districts usually isn't a bad thing and if those who placed 2nd at Wadsworth were to draw a three seed from either Fitch or Euclid it would probably be a good draw.

The MP Sectional would be a different story. Again, if my calculations are correct, we could see 11 of the 14 championship matches pitting MP vs Brecksville. Four of those matches will be against projected state placers and three more would be with both wrestlers projected in the top 10 in their weight class. What this means is there will be a good number of #1 seeds in their quarter bracket at Hoover that will receive a rude awakening in their second bout.

Because Brecksville chose to go to MP ( even though I found it curious I'm sure Coach Haverdill had his reasons) there will be a number of wrestlers from the Fitch and Euclid Sectionals going to Hoover who ordinarily may or may not make it. I would guess that unless a champion from Fitch or Euclid is projected as a state placer they may have a rough go of their second bout at districts by wrestling the 2 seed from the MP Sectional.

Hope this post hasn't stepped on anyone's feet. Just thought I'd share a few thoughts that are only my opinions.

Additionally, of interest, there will be a total of 56 wrestlers going to the state tournament from Hoover, 29 are projected to be from Brecksville, Wadsworth, and Massillon Perry. That's over half from those three schools.
I'm thinking that Brecksville chose to go to Massillon Perry for just that reason, that if pitted against each other in the finals that would guarantee they are separated at districts, especially some of the lower weights. But that is just my opinion

I'm thinking that Brecksville chose to go to Massillon Perry for just that reason, that if pitted against each other in the finals that would guarantee they are separated at districts, especially some of the lower weights. But that is just my opinion
I noticed that Massillon Perry did the same thing last year. They could have gone to easier sectionals, but they went to Brecksville. Iron sharpens iron? A prediction of my own would be that 11 of the 14 weight classes at Hoover will be won by Perry, Brecksville, or Wadsworth.

Last edited:
The one thing I can think of why Perry and Brecksville might have jumped in with each other the last two years is that the remaining better teams will look to other sectionals, which leaves most of the teams being at the bottom of the ranking ladder.

Look at the rest of the teams there:
-Hudson is decent at 157, 175, and 190
-Lakeside's best kid is Eland at 113, and he's clearly behind the Brecksville and Perry wrestlers at that weight
-Twinsburg has one state qualification contender, their 165
-Canton McKinley has two decent kids, 138 and 190
-I don't think Wooster and Garfield have anyone of consequence
-Cuyahoga Falls' best kid is probably their 150

Last edited:
The one thing I can think of why Perry and Brecksville might have jumped in with each other the last two years is that the rest of the teams in the sectional are going to be outright lousy.

-Lakeside has next to nothing. Their best kid is Eland at 113, and he's irrelevant to Brecksville and Perry
-Twinsburg has one kid of real substance, their 165
Irrelevant? They said the same thing about George Bollas.

The one thing I can think of why Perry and Brecksville might have jumped in with each other the last two years is that the rest of the teams in the sectional are going to be outright lousy.

-Lakeside has next to nothing. Their best kid is Eland at 113, and he's irrelevant to Brecksville and Perry
I've always appreciated you sharing your honest opinions. Although sometimes they can be rather brutal.

Bucksman, speaking for myself only, I think you need to throttle it back a bit. These are HS kids. There was zero need for this.

I see that rosters are required by 7:00 on Thursday evening. Will the pre seeds be on Baums page by then?

I see that rosters are required by 7:00 on Thursday evening. Will the pre seeds be on Baums page by then?
Once 7:00 PM hits tomorrow, each site can then post the entry grids and seed nominations, though I think they have been asked to wait until 8:00 to post seed nominations if I am not mistaken. It is up to each site to load it onto BaumsPage.

It has been changed from what was originally written so I have to think he realized it was not proper. The original, was much more caustic. True or not, there was no need for it and it seems like others agreed.
It's amazing to me what you guys decide to throw stones at and what you don't. Everyone knows Josh wasn't saying that this person or that is a complete waste of thought or space on this planet. He was stating that the decision to go with Perry was due to the fact that when looking at a matchup perspective, Perry has more roadblocks to Brecksville kids getting out or bad draws than any other team, which makes the other teams and people that makeup those teams IRRELEVANT in their choice to try and split that halves.

Context is key and so is reading abilities and context clues.

It's amazing to me what you guys decide to throw stones at and what you don't. Everyone knows Josh wasn't saying that this person or that is a complete waste of thought or space on this planet. He was stating that the decision to go with Perry was due to the fact that when looking at a matchup perspective, Perry has more roadblocks to Brecksville kids getting out or bad draws than any other team, which makes the other teams and people that makeup those teams IRRELEVANT in their choice to try and split that halves.

Context is key and so is reading abilities and context clues.
"the rest of the teams in the sectional are going to be outright lousy."
"Lakeside has next to nothing"
" he's irrelevant"
"I don't think Wooster and Garfield have anyone of consequence"

I guess we will agree to disagree, I don't think the context or my reading ability is the issue.
I do know Josh and this is exactly what I would say to him in person.
Done with it.

Last edited:
It's all true though. None of those teams have a lineup or many kids that will challenge Brecksville/Wadsworth/Perry kids.

Hey Josh, next time, for the sake of others, will you please just not use normal vocabulary words to describe the fact that someone will lose to another individual? It's hurtful that you have a large vocabulary and use words other than unicorns, rainbows, and walks on the beach with your significant other.

"the rest of the teams in the sectional are going to be outright lousy."
"Lakeside has next to nothing"
" he's irrelevant"
"I don't think Wooster and Garfield have anyone of consequence"

I guess will agree to disagree, I don't think the context or my reading ability is the issue.
I do know Josh and this is exactly what I would say to him in person.
Done with it.
And once again, context matters. You took statements and quoted them without stating the context in which they were used.

Context is : comparing achievements and accomplishments to predict the probability of results. Nothing to do with the actual individual and their societal or social worth as your trying to turn this into.

Just checked out the pre seeds at the four sectionals. No scratches or surprises that I'm aware of.

Did note that Siebert from MP is wrestling at 120. Kid is really good. Tough wrestling behind E McBurney (106) and Rohr (113). Giving up a lot of weight. Best of luck to him.

Last edited:
WADSWORTH SECTIONAL
106: L. Green/Frantz
113: J. Green/Kolt Mellon (Mellon is the 3, but it'll come down to those two)
120: Dinwiddie
126: Kade Mellon/Davis (Davis ends up at 126 instead of 132)
132: Joy
138: Garcia/K. Jardine (Jardine very undersized)
144: Humphrys/DiFazio/Bizjak/Griffin (Abdelrahim at the 5 and Boske at the 7) ... arguably the toughest weight of any at a sectional feeding Hoover
150: Brooks/Keirn/Walton (Keirn is the two seed but favored)
157: Earnest/Kaminski
165: Dolph/Vucetic (Corum 3rd, Barlett 5th) ... Vucetic late drop from 175 puts him in the mix for the 4th state spot
175: Schaefer
190: Grimm/Hill
215: Gregory 1st seed, Cody Fair 2nd seed, Blackburn 4th seed
285: Ries 1st seed, Tristano 3rd seed

EUCLID SECTIONAL
106: Hahn/Brady/Gilmore/Gruber (Hahn's to lose)
113: Sharpley/Rocha/Gregan
120: DeBoe
126: Stropko 1st seed, Campbell 3rd seed (but favorite), Hays 4th seed
132: Blackburn/Sharpley, Holmes 3rd seed
138: VanDyke/Shelley, Cunningham 3rd seed
144: no one really state level, Supers (Medina) might win it
150: Frenk/Fumic/Randolph
157: Supers/Crevar/Lloyd (the Crevar/Lloyd semi could mean something next week)
165: Horgan
175: Chrisman/Averette/Beskur (Chrisman's to lose)
190: Sherman 5th seed, but the favorite
215: Bottitgi top seed, Jackson 3rd seed but 2nd best
285: Andrews

FITCH SECTIONAL
106: Clemens/Dimos
113: Jones 2nd seed but favorite
120: Palmisano 1st seed, Mellino 4th seed -- but the two best
126: Haney 4th seed probably the favorite, Palmisano 2nd seed would be my pick for 2nd ... Haney late down here puts himself in the hunt for a state spot
132: D'Alessandro (Miller 2nd seed, N. Giatis 4th seed)
138: Smith 1st seed, Z. Giatis 4th seed -- but the two best
144: Petite
150: if Wadsworth 144 wasn't the best weight for a sectional feeding to the Hoover district, this is ... Hill/Beck/Jordan/Croom/Hamad (a kid that could be in a go-to next week will be not getting to district)
157: Crutchley/Perrine/McKinney
165: Lintner/Batson/Ridgley/Sims (the consi match between Ridgley and Sims could have implications for district)
175: Olszko 1st seed, M. Haney 3rd seed
190: Allen/Stiles/Quarles
215: Magueyal 1st seed, Lefeld 4th seed -- but the two best, Zywiec 2nd seed
285: Arnold

MASS PERRY SECTIONAL
based on the seeds, Breck and Perry hit in the semis more times than you would think
106: McBurney, Seacrist listed as top two seeds ... but I think Seacrist gets the one on a challenge (head-on results with a better record as a newcomer)
113: Stanley, Rohr listed as top two seeds ... Rohr might get that on a challenge based on better record as a newcomer with a tournament out-placement ... Johnston and Eland are the other top four seeds but not in play for a state spot
120: Seibert gets the one seed, Pluhar is the Brecksville wrestler and the four seed ... whomever wins this sectional is the odds on favorite to get a state spot, though it could possibly come down to a rematch next week
126: McBurney top seed, Jace Jett 3rd seed, they'll hit in the final
132: Kaden Jett top seed, Cam Plotts 4th seed
138: Pluhar and Curtis are the top two seeds, even though Curtis has the head-on, I don't think the seeds can change since neither is a newcomer (or non-contender from last year), McKinley kid seeded 3rd but given VanDyke and Shelley also here district wise, non-factor big picture
144: Geckler and Herman are the top two seeds, Herman was a non-contender last year and has the better record plus a tournament out-placement so he might end up top seed
150: Giltz top seed, Zambounis 5th seed; 2nd seed is Johnson from Cuyahoga Falls ... another case where the final is the semi ... given what there is elsewhere in the district, losing that semi could create a long road at district
157: Rizzo 1st seed, Warner 2nd seed (likely runner-up)
165: Strucznyski and Gallo top two seeds
175: Vanadia, Broski, Barsic top three seeds ... Vanadia miles ahead of the field, interesting with Barsic dropping
190: Hartshorn 1st seed, McPherson 4th seed ... 2nd seed is Batcher ... another case where the semi is the final
215: Vanadia 1st seed, Millin 4th seed ... Millin looking at 3 line despite being 2nd best kid
285: Fockler top seed, German 2nd seed

WADSWORTH SECTIONAL
106: L. Green/Frantz
113: J. Green/Kolt Mellon (Mellon is the 3, but it'll come down to those two)
120: Dinwiddie
126: Kade Mellon/Davis (Davis ends up at 126 instead of 132)
132: Joy
138: Garcia/K. Jardine (Jardine very undersized)
144: Humphrys/DiFazio/Bizjak/Griffin (Abdelrahim at the 5 and Boske at the 7) ... arguably the toughest weight of any at a sectional feeding Hoover
150: Brooks/Keirn/Walton (Keirn is the two seed but favored)
157: Earnest/Kaminski
165: Dolph/Vucetic (Corum 3rd, Barlett 5th) ... Vucetic late drop from 175 puts him in the mix for the 4th state spot
175: Schaefer
190: Grimm/Hill
215: Gregory 1st seed, Cody Fair 2nd seed, Blackburn 4th seed
285: Ries 1st seed, Tristano 3rd seed

EUCLID SECTIONAL
106: Hahn/Brady/Gilmore/Gruber (Hahn's to lose)
113: Sharpley/Rocha/Gregan
120: DeBoe
126: Stropko 1st seed, Campbell 3rd seed (but favorite), Hays 4th seed
132: Blackburn/Sharpley, Holmes 3rd seed
138: VanDyke/Shelley, Cunningham 3rd seed
144: no one really state level, Supers (Medina) might win it
150: Frenk/Fumic/Randolph
157: Supers/Crevar/Lloyd (the Crevar/Lloyd semi could mean something next week)
165: Horgan
175: Chrisman/Averette/Beskur (Chrisman's to lose)
190: Sherman 5th seed, but the favorite
215: Bottitgi top seed, Jackson 3rd seed but 2nd best
285: Andrews

FITCH SECTIONAL
106: Clemens/Dimos
113: Jones 2nd seed but favorite
120: Palmisano 1st seed, Mellino 4th seed -- but the two best
126: Haney 4th seed probably the favorite, Palmisano 2nd seed would be my pick for 2nd ... Haney late down here puts himself in the hunt for a state spot
132: D'Alessandro (Miller 2nd seed, N. Giatis 4th seed)
138: Smith 1st seed, Z. Giatis 4th seed -- but the two best
144: Petite
150: if Wadsworth 144 wasn't the best weight for a sectional feeding to the Hoover district, this is ... Hill/Beck/Jordan/Croom/Hamad (a kid that could be in a go-to next week will be not getting to district)
157: Crutchley/Perrine/McKinney
165: Lintner/Batson/Ridgley/Sims (the consi match between Ridgley and Sims could have implications for district)
175: Olszko 1st seed, M. Haney 3rd seed
190: Allen/Stiles/Quarles
215: Magueyal 1st seed, Lefeld 4th seed -- but the two best, Zywiec 2nd seed
285: Arnold

MASS PERRY SECTIONAL
based on the seeds, Breck and Perry hit in the semis more times than you would think
106: McBurney, Seacrist listed as top two seeds ... but I think Seacrist gets the one on a challenge (head-on results with a better record as a newcomer)
113: Stanley, Rohr listed as top two seeds ... Rohr might get that on a challenge based on better record as a newcomer with a tournament out-placement ... Johnston and Eland are the other top four seeds but not in play for a state spot
120: Seibert gets the one seed, Pluhar is the Brecksville wrestler and the four seed ... whomever wins this sectional is the odds on favorite to get a state spot, though it could possibly come down to a rematch next week
126: McBurney top seed, Jace Jett 3rd seed, they'll hit in the final
132: Kaden Jett top seed, Cam Plotts 4th seed
138: Pluhar and Curtis are the top two seeds, even though Curtis has the head-on, I don't think the seeds can change since neither is a newcomer (or non-contender from last year), McKinley kid seeded 3rd but given VanDyke and Shelley also here district wise, non-factor big picture
144: Geckler and Herman are the top two seeds, Herman was a non-contender last year and has the better record plus a tournament out-placement so he might end up top seed
150: Giltz top seed, Zambounis 5th seed; 2nd seed is Johnson from Cuyahoga Falls ... another case where the final is the semi ... given what there is elsewhere in the district, losing that semi could create a long road at district
157: Rizzo 1st seed, Warner 2nd seed (likely runner-up)
165: Strucznyski and Gallo top two seeds
175: Vanadia, Broski, Barsic top three seeds ... Vanadia miles ahead of the field, interesting with Barsic dropping
190: Hartshorn 1st seed, McPherson 4th seed ... 2nd seed is Batcher ... another case where the semi is the final
215: Vanadia 1st seed, Millin 4th seed ... Millin looking at 3 line despite being 2nd best kid
285: Fockler top seed, German 2nd seed
Haven't seen the Hoover Brackets yet, but just by looking at the projections above Wadsworth will have quite a few (very crucial) go-to matches in the consi-semis. Those being 106,113, 120, 126, 144, 175, 215, and possibly 150. Three of those are doubtful winners and the other three won't be easy. Depending on the bracketing and an on/off day even 190 and 285 could be in the consi-semis.

Haven't seen the Hoover Brackets yet, but just by looking at the projections above Wadsworth will have quite a few (very crucial) go-to matches in the consi-semis. Those being 106,113, 120, 126, 144, 175, 215, and possibly 150. Three of those are doubtful winners and the other three won't be easy. Depending on the bracketing and an on/off day even 190 and 285 could be in the consi-semis.
funny, I was thinking the same thing about MP

funny, I was thinking the same thing about MP
MP does have a couple, but it looks to me that the large majority of their wrestlers are either IN or OUT. Seibert at 120 is kind of on the bubble. If Geckler is in a semi consi I really doubt he loses. If Giltz or Fockler aren't in the championship match no one is going to beat them in the consi's. That leaves 190 and 215, and there are four wrestlers in each weight that are more or less set in stone. All the rest will be in the finals or out. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
dion & Toe Hook, you talking about this week or next week? In terms of next week, we won't know until Saturday evening or Sunday when district draws come out.

Montgomery is not in the MP lineup at 120, Seibert is. I don't know if Montgomery was beaten out for the spot, or if he is for some reason not available (injury or personal).

In terms of the district tournament, Wadsworth has a good chunk of weights where their kids could be on the bubble. Without looking at draws:
QUALIFY FOR SURE - 120 (for lack of alternatives), 126, 132, 157, 190 (could end up in a go-to but on the right side) 285
GO-TO SCENARIO - 106 (likely wrong side), 113, 144 (unless oppo Herman & Petite), 150 (could clear to final though), 175 (unless opposite Olszko & Vanadia), 215 (likely wrong side)
NOT LIKELY TO QUALIFY - 138, 165 (165 could end up in a go-to as well)

Looking at Massillon Perry for next week:
QUALIFY FOR SURE - 106, 113, 126, 138 (might be through the back though), 285
GO-TO SCENARIO - 120 (likely wrong side), 132 (likely wrong side, if at a different site would have better chance), 144, 150 (could clear to the final though), 190 (could clear to the final though), 215
NOT GOING TO QUALIFY - 157, 165, 175

Looking at Brecksville for next week:
QUALIFY FOR SURE: 106, 132 (could end up in a go-to but on the right side), 138 (could end up in go-to but on the right side), 144, 175, 215
GO-TO SCENARIO: 113, 120 (should be on the right side of it though), 126 (could clear to the final though), 150 (I'm leaning toward wrong side), 157, 190
NOT LIKELY TO QUALIFY: 165 (could end up in a go-to), 285 (could end up in a go-to, but best case scenario it's against Arnold)

It's probably a rule, but it's kind of funny that every site has 16 man brackets. It looks like over 90% of the weights could be 8 man brackets with a rat-tail occasionally. No biggie, just an observation that it looks rather silly.

Massillon Perry sectional - Brecksville qualifies all 14 weights to district with 13 in the finals. Massillon Perry qualifies 13 with 9 in the finals