Season-Opening Tournament

In the quarters, Moeller crushed Dublin Scioto (I think), Seneca Valley won, East edged St Charles in 3 (3rd game was 28-26), and La Salle beat Elder 25-22ish, -23.

In the losers bracket, Elder and Dublin Scioto advanced to the 5th place game, where Elder won very easily. I don't know who got 7th.

In the winners bracket semifinals, Moeller beat Seneca Valley something like 25-20, 25-15, and La Salle beat Lakota East 25-21ish, 25-23.

Dont know who came in 3rd, but Moeller won the championship, beating La Salle 25-11ish, 25-16ish.

as far as the Silver Bracket goes:

1st - Pickerington North
2nd - Dublin Jerome
3rd - Westerville North
4th - Dublin Coffman
5th - Gahanna
6th - Worthington Kilbourne
7th - Bishop Watterson
8th - Upper Arlington

pick north easily handled UA in the 1 v 8 game
westerville north beat kilbourne (5 v 4)
jerome beat watterson (2 v 7)? not sure about those seeds / game
coffman beat gahanna (6 v 3)? not sure about those seeds / game

pick north beat westerville north 25-20 and 25-23
jerome beat coffman
kilbourne beat watterson?
gahanna beat UA?

pick north beat jerome (silver championship match)
westerville north beat coffman (3rd place match)
im pretty sure gahanna beat kilbourne (5th place match)
watterson beat UA (7th place match)

st.x and centerville not being there

OHSAA only lets teams in ohio, no matter what sport, go to 3 tournaments a season. St.Xavier and Centerville (St.Edwards too) all qualified for the Centerville Tournament becasue they made States last year. Then everyone is going to the Buckeye ... and they all decided to go to the Wolf Open instead of the Cardinal.

Kilbourne will be fine. They are young, and the expectations of people saying they would be top 5 in the state were just too much.

Also, I do not think there is any such rule about only playing in 3 tournaments, and since volleyball is not an OHSAA rule, schools don't need to follow them (although some schools do follow their rules). Plus, making it to states one year does not QUALIFY you for the Centerville tournament. Their coach invites who ever he wants.

Kilbourne will be fine. They are young, and the expectations of people saying they would be top 5 in the state were just too much.

Also, I do not think there is any such rule about only playing in 3 tournaments, and since volleyball is not an OHSAA rule, schools don't need to follow them (although some schools do follow their rules). Plus, making it to states one year does not QUALIFY you for the Centerville tournament. Their coach invites who ever he wants.

Yea I was kinda upset we (La Salle) didn't get the invitation this year, since this is the best team we've had in a few years.

Yea I was kinda upset we (La Salle) didn't get the invitation this year, since this is the best team we've had in a few years.

Typically only the team who were in the "Elite 8" are invited. But for some reason Trinity (KY) keeps getting invited.

The rule for 3 tournaments is real and the reason why Trinity keeps getting invited is because they would be top 3 in the state of Ohio every year if they played in OH no point in playing the same teams over and over again

The rule for 3 tournaments is real and the reason why Trinity keeps getting invited is because they would be top 3 in the state of Ohio every year if they played in OH no point in playing the same teams over and over again

Trinity would NOT be in the top 3 in the state of Ohio in any year let alone every year. Maybe in 2005 they would have been top 5, but our La Salle team was very mediocre last year and split the scrimmage we played against them and later won a tournament they were in (Trinity lost to Lou. St X in the semis so we didn't actually play them). This season, I believe they came in 7th or 8th in the St Charles tournament which only featured probably 4 of the top 10 teams in the state. And actually the only reason I was a little perturbed was because CJ, who is never among Ohio's elite, is in the tournament this year.

im guessing Trinity got in for Davidson who was in the final 8 last year but this years team is no where close to that. so if they really wanted the Elite im sure they make adjustments like that.

any opinions on who should be on the all tournament team? tournament MVP?

For an all tourney team, it would be almost Moeller's starting lineup. Lee Meyer, Danny Brandel, James Emmings, and Doug Cherry would definitely be on it. After that there's a group to choose from with Doug Spotts (Lakota East), Seneca Valley's one good hitter, Austin Averbeck (Elder). I'd like to think I'd be on the running for one of those final spots too, but I don't really get to see myself play so it's hard to compare. As far as libero's go, none really stood out to me. Moeller's may have been the best, it just doesn't seem like it because he's surrounded by great passers too.

any opinions on who should be on the all tournament team? tournament MVP?

Lee Meyer won the MVP I believe....surprise surprise eh?

Thatd be cool if they did all tourney team, but i donno if they did or not. If they have I didnt hear anything about it.

OHSAA only lets teams in ohio, no matter what sport, go to 3 tournaments a season. St.Xavier and Centerville (St.Edwards too) all qualified for the Centerville Tournament becasue they made States last year. Then everyone is going to the Buckeye ... and they all decided to go to the Wolf Open instead of the Cardinal.

actually, in boys volleyball, since it is not sanctioned by the OHSAA, you can play in as many tournaments as you want, as long as you don't go over the 24 matches in 18-20 days(can't remember exact numbers). They could have played if they wanted to, but it might not have worked with their schedules. they are allowed to, though.

there was no actual tourney team... was just a theoretical question... one person i'd add to LHS's tourney team was number 17 from seneca valley- great hitter, pretty good passer, big blocker

there was no actual tourney team... was just a theoretical question... one person i'd add to LHS's tourney team was number 17 from seneca valley- great hitter, pretty good passer, big blocker

Yea, I think you're talking about the same person I mentioned.

hmmm if the hypothetical all-tourney team needed to have one full rotation on it (i.e. 2 outsides, 2 middle, a setter, opposite, and libero) and not just the 6 best players, then yes, i would probably include him... if it were the 6 best players, i think he would fall slightly out of the top 6