Scrimmage Results

Yea scrimmage scores can be very misleading. As mentioned before some coaches are trying things to see if it fits their current personnel, mix matching kids etc. Others treat scrimmages like the 7th game of a world series.

Yea scrimmage scores can be very misleading. As mentioned before some coaches are trying things to see if it fits their current personnel, mix matching kids etc. Others treat scrimmages like the 7th game of a world series.
Do both coaches come together and decide how it is going to be played? is that the proper protocol for scrimmages?

Thought I had seen it all until a kid got intentional walked in a scrimmage.

Then I thought I had seen it all, until the same kid was IBB’d again. 🙁
Haha.

Devil's advocate: was the kid fast? Maybe the coach wanted to put the catcher to the test on baserunning. 🤷‍♂️

Ah yes, the usual scrimmage results forum.

I worked one last night. It went 2 hours, 55 minutes.

We played I think 15 innings. Some times we didnt swap after 3 outs so a team would be able to work on something. In the last few innings there was free subbing and pitchers rotating every couple of batters.

There was no "winner" and I maintain what I have said for 30 years, that scrimmage results are pointless and you shouldn't even put stock into them.

In 2021 a prominent local division I team scored fewer runs than a league opponent they played twice in the season. During the season they run ruled the opponent twice. Again, pointless.

Scrimmages are nothing more than controlled practices with possibly one or more teams.

Officials have zero say in the scrimmage other than after three hours they are done working it by OHSAA policy.
Do umpires get paid for scrimmages? I thought, at one point, I heard that they did not. Hopefully, for three hours, you are compensated for your time.

Do umpires get paid for scrimmages? I thought, at one point, I heard that they did not. Hopefully, for three hours, you are compensated for your time.
Mostly yes these days. For many years you did not, then it was half pay, now it's full pay. I assign 6 leagues total and we all pay full. There are some ADs still angry about this but they angry about everything. When we contract with leagues this is a non-negotiable.

The limited areas where they dont pay dont get officials. But when they offer $$$ they do.

We played I think 15 innings. Some times we didnt swap after 3 outs so a team would be able to work on something. In the last few innings there was free subbing and pitchers rotating every couple of batters.

There was no "winner" and I maintain what I have said for 30 years, that scrimmage results are pointless and you shouldn't even put stock into them.

In 2021 a prominent local division I team scored fewer runs than a league opponent they played twice in the season. During the season they run ruled the opponent twice. Again, pointless.

Scrimmages are nothing more than controlled practices with possibly one or more teams.
Thank you for working the scrimmage. We appreciate you.

This is how it should be done. At least, early in the scrimmage season. Still have another ten days till the official start of the season. I know we have another blizzard in coming.😒

Do both coaches come together and decide how it is going to be played? is that the proper protocol for scrimmages?
Yes, but that doesn't mean each team can't have completely different things they are working on. One could have their #1 or #2 pitcher that they are trying to start and begin to extend their pitch count with. The other could be trying to get their 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th pitchers innings to see if they can be regular performers for them in season. Same discrepancies can happen with hitters and defenders. The potential for lopsided matchups that would never happen in season is always high in scrimmages, regardless of things discussed prior.

Keeping track of scrimmage scores is just as bad as worrying about jv and freshman scores, probably worse.

This. How people come away with actual scores from many scrimmages is a head scratcher for me lol. I've seen pitchers throw ball 4 and let the at bat continue because they want that pitcher to learn how to work out of whatever situation he's in.