Ryder Cup

clarkgriswold

The 2020, yes 2020, Ryder Cup starts today at Whistling Straights in Wisconsin. I always love watching professional golfers under pressure and nothing brings the pressure like the Ryder Cup. The USA team is the favorite in this one on their home turf but I have a guy feeling Europe will retain the Cup.

Love the format and the team aspect to this; one of my favorite events to watch in golf, if they want golf to work in the Olympics this is the kind of format they should use. Only downside to the Ryder Cup is in the past that the PGA runs this for the US and they pick their pet courses, not always the best choices to play to the US players strengths. Whistling Straights is a nice track but feels a lot like a British links course. This changes moving forward as US Open standards like Bethpage Black, Hazeltine, and Olympic Club host this event in the future. Not sure about the US this year, key is mental toughness which the coddled US guys seem to struggle with.

Love the format and the team aspect to this; one of my favorite events to watch in golf, if they want golf to work in the Olympics this is the kind of format they should use. Only downside to the Ryder Cup is in the past that the PGA runs this for the US and they pick their pet courses, not always the best choices to play to the US players strengths. Whistling Straights is a nice track but feels a lot like a British links course. This changes moving forward as US Open standards like Bethpage Black, Hazeltine, and Olympic Club host this event in the future. Not sure about the US this year, key is mental toughness which the coddled US guys seem to struggle with.

Exactly what I thought. It looks like a lusher British Open course which has to play to the Euros' strengths. We are in for a fun weekend.

This afternoon will be key, the US cannot allow the Euros to creep back into this thing. One quick thought, the Euros look old. I wonder if they went with experience to start this event off but they got crushed on the par 5s this morning and looked much shorter off the tee.

This afternoon will be key, the US cannot allow the Euros to creep back into this thing. One quick thought, the Euros look old. I wonder if they went with experience to start this event off but they got crushed on the par 5s this morning and looked much shorter off the tee.
From Golf Magazine-

At 37, Dustin Johnson is the oldest American. English and Finau are second-oldest. And Brooks Koepka, at 31, is the only other player over 30. The total combined age of the U.S. team is 349, an average of 29.08. (Their ages, from youngest to oldest: Collin Morikawa, 24; Scottie Scheffler, 25; Xander Schauffele, 27; Bryson DeChambeau, 28; Jordan Spieth, 28; Justin Thomas, 28; Daniel Berger, 28; Patrick Cantlay, 29; Brooks Koepka, 31; Tony Finau, 32; Harris English, 32; Dustin Johnson, 37.)

On the other side, the Europeans have eight players who are 30 and older — and four who are 40 and beyond. Their total combined age is 415, an average of 34.58. (Their ages, from youngest to oldest: Viktor Hovland, 24; Jon Rahm, 26; Matthew Fitzpatrick, 27; Tyrrell Hatton, 29; Tommy Fleetwood, 30; Rory McIlroy, 32; Shane Lowry, 34; Bernd Wiesberger, 35; Sergio Garcia, 41; Paul Casey, 44; Ian Poulter, 45; Lee Westwood, 48.)

The first tee is awesome and full of energy, could you imagine this at an Olympics? There are a couple players that are allowing a fitness device and one Euro had a heartbeat north of 120, that is not what you really want when trying to swing a golf club.

The first tee is awesome and full of energy, could you imagine this at an Olympics? There are a couple players that are allowing a fitness device and one Euro had a heartbeat north of 120, that is not what you really want when trying to swing a golf club.

I was just going to say - man, they're boozed up early on the first tee!

The words "all square" and "halved" have been vanquished from the Ryder Cup vernacular, replaced by tie and tied. Apparently a result of the major overhaul to "The Rules of Golf" a few years ago.

The words "all square" and "halved" have been vanquished from the Ryder Cup vernacular, replaced by tie and tied. Apparently a result of the major overhaul to "The Rules of Golf" a few years ago.
I stick to those old terms thanks. I would also appreciate the announcers referring to a match as dormie.

Huge advantage to the US with no real Euro fans present. Hoping for more of the same to borrow.

Nice to see the US win and they are set up for a nice run if they make the right decisions on players and coaches. Names are not as big as fit for course and potential partners as well as stamina for the better players. (Rahm looked like he ran out of gas on Sunday after carrying the Euros in the Friday & Saturday matches.) A lot of chatter that Woods gets the next Captaincy but he may use his accident as way out and they let Phil take the road gig in Italy and Woods gets it when they head back to NYC and Beth Page in 2024. By the way you think the crowds were rowdy in Wisconsin wait until Beth Page, especially when the Euros will be traveling again and providing a good base of fans for the opposition.