Remembering the Youngstown City Series and Steel Valley Conference

That 82 Fitch team was really good. The first I remember of a run of Fitch teams that could have made some serious playoff runs if they took more than 2 per region. That Garfield game was a tough second half to watch. Gladman was a great HS RB.

That 82 Fitch team was really good. The first I remember of a run of Fitch teams that could have made some serious playoff runs if they took more than 2 per region. That Garfield game was a tough second half to watch. Gladman was a great HS RB.
I think the Falcons were better in 1983, maybe much better. Possibly the best area team ever that did not qualify for the playoffs. Add 1998 Warren Harding to that category.

Speaking of the 1983 Fitch Falcons, the SVC title once again came down to a week 10 game at Stambaugh Stadium. This time it was Fitch vs. Ursuline. The Falcons came in at 9-0 and had posted 7 shutouts in those 9 games. Included in those shutouts was a 41-0 beatdown of Chardon in week one. Chardon had a 19-game unbeaten streak, including 17 straight wins, entering the game and finished at 8-2. The Hilltoppers did not allow more than 15 points to anybody else in 83. Also included in those shutouts was a 31-0 pounding of Mooney. The Cardinals finished at 7-3 and like Chardon nobody else scored more than 14 against them. The Falcons had won 18 in a row since the week one loss in 1982.

Ursuline came in at 8-1 but they were coming off a 27-6 loss to Reserve in week 9. The Raiders also gave Fitch their toughest game of the first 9, losing 20-16. WWR finished at 8-2 and tied with Mooney for 3rd place in the SVC with 5 -2 loop records but somehow the Cardinals beat WWR, 28-0. That was football in the SVC at that time. Ursuline had beaten Canton McKinley and Mooney by identical 14-6 scores in weeks 3 and 4 respectively. Not only was the SVC title on the line but it looked like the loser would not make the playoffs either although it was possible that the Irish could qualify even with a loss if things broke right. For Fitch it was more doubtful.

The game was played in the snow in front of about 15K. The Irish scored first on about a 70-75 yard pick 6 by All-SVC DB Sterling Hayden to take a 6-0 lead, they missed the PAT. On the ensuing KO the Irish squib kicked and it bounced off a Fitch player with Ursuline recovering. The Irish quickly added their 2nd TD and again after a failed PAT they led 12-0. Fitch followed with a drive into the red zone. At about the Ursuline 15-yard line Fitch QB Greg Guerriero kept the ball and headed up field for what looked like a TD but he got blasted before he made the end zone and fumbled at about the Irish 2 or 3-yard line. That was the Falcons' best scoring opportunity in the first half and the Irish led 12-0 at halftime.

Ursuline again squib kicked the 2nd half KO but this time the Falcons recovered it. The Falcons' Tod Powers scored an a 5-yard run, they added the PAT and it was 12-7 Irish. The Irish defense kept it that way and Mr. Hayden added his 2nd INT of the game with under a minute left to stop the Falcons last possession. Once again a very good Falcon team finished at 9-1 and on the outside looking in as far as playoffs were concerned.

It turned out that Ursuline would have just made it even with a loss as Wooster, the 3rd place team in D2 R7, lost to Orrville in week 10. I would have really liked to see that Fitch team in the playoffs though as I think they could have made a nice run.

In the playoffs for the first time, Ursuline went down to Steubenville to play Big Red and beat them 13-0. It was the 3rd consecutive year that Big Red lost to an SVC team in the playoffs and they had scored a grand total of 2 points in those 3 games. Ursuline would then suffer a 13-0 loss to eventual D2 state champ Brecksville who was led by future Buckeye Tom Tupa at the Rubber Bowl. Mr. Tupa passed for the game's only TD and added two FGs and a PAT but the Brecksville defense just shutdown the Irish running game. Brecksville would move on to defeat Celina, 12-6 in the D2 final.

Another local team qualified for the playoffs for the first time in 1983, LaBrae in D3. The Vikings were undefeated at 10-0 and had only allowed 17 points all season but they pulled off what most would consider a huge upset in the first round when they beat two-time defending state champion Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary, 19-13. The Irish were 9-1 on the season and I think most people felt that LaBrae might be overmatched, but TB Tony Stephens and the Vikings defense had other ideas. The Vikings then lost to eventual state champion Elyria Catholic, 12-0 in the semis.

I should add that McDonald also qualified for the playoffs for the first time in 1983. Unfortunately for them their playoff frustration against Mogadore also began as they lost to the Wildcats, 27-0 in the first round of the D5 playoffs.

1983 Ursuline.PNG

1983 URSULINE
STRUTHERS W 28-0
CANFIELD W 48-14
CANTON McKINLEY W 14-6
MOONEY W 14-6
HOWLAND W 23-6
WARREN HARDING W 13-12
BOARDMAN W 22-3
NILES W 29-14
WARREN WESTERN RESERVE L 6-27
FITCH W 12-7
*STEUBENVILLE W 13-0
*BRECKSVILLE L 0-13
*PLAYOFFS
10-26-1 SVC
1983 Fitch.PNG

1983 FITCH
CHARDON W 41-0
CHANEY W 15-0
SOUTH W 21-8
BOARDMAN W 23-0
WARREN WESTERN RESERVE W 20-16
HOWLAND W 31-0
MOONEY W 31-0
WARREN HARDING W 30-0
NILES W 38-0
URSULINE L 7-12
9-16-1 SVC

1983 All-SVC Football Team Pic.PNG

1983 All-SVC Football Team Text.PNG

College players I know of:

1st team Offense:

End - Chuck Masluk - Mooney - YSU
End - Randy? Hughley - WWR ( Led the SVC in receiving, AAA 2nd team All-State at DB) - Toledo
OT - Bruce Crites - WWR - Purdue
OG - Steve Koneval - Fitch - B-W & YSU
OG - John Mahoney - Mooney - Stanford
C - Kevin Koken - Mooney (AAA 1st team All-State) - W. Virginia (starting center on the W.Va. team that played ND for the National Championship in 88 Fiesta Bowl, AP HM All-American)
QB - Roselle Richardson - WWR - Jr. - Minnesota
RB - Tod Powers - Fitch (Led the SVC in scoring) - U. California Golden Bears
RB - Robert Nall - Ursuline - Akron
PK - Brian Maruschak - Mooney - Case W.R.

RB Gerald Vickers of WWR led the SVC in rushing

2nd team Offense:

OT - Greg Zackeroff - Harding (AAA 2nd team All-State) - OSU
OG - Mike Jenkins - Ursuline - Mercyhurst
C - Mike Manley - Fitch - Case W.R.

1st team Defense:

End - Michael Peterson - Reserve - YSU
IL - Mike Uhlar - Fitch (AAA 1st team All-State) - Penn St.
IL - Mike Morrow - Ursuline - Kent St.
LB - Tony Martin - Boardman - Case W.R. & Westminster
LB - Dennis Troll - Mooney - Mercyhurst
LB - Robert Poghen - Ursuline - Kent St.
DB - Dennis Sarisky - Mooney - Mt. Union
DB - Sterling Hayden - Ursuline - Jr. - N. Carolina

2nd team Defense:

DE - Jim G'Bur - Ursuline - Akron
LB - David Douglas - Harding - YSU
DB - David Arnold - Harding - Jr. - Michigan (All-Big 10 DB) (More in 84)

Last edited:
Ytown: I am curious, no Travis Davis(WGH/MSU) on the SVC team? That was his senior year, right?

Dave Arnold is Steve’s younger brother.

I don’t recall a Steve Koneval at BW but we got 100 freshman players a year back in the day when we owned Mount and not the other way around.

Last edited:
Ytown: I am curious, no Travis Davis(WGH/MSU) on the SVC team? That was his senior year, right?

Dave Arnold is Steve’s younger brother.

I don’t recall a Steve Koneval at BW but we got 100 freshman players a year back them.

Mr. Davis was a junior in 1983. He would make the All-SVC team in 84. Mr. Koneval transferred to YSU. I'm not sure how long he was at B-W. Brain cramp on Mr. Arnold. Thanks.

Also, as many on this board probably know, Roselle Richardson played basketball briefly for Minnesota. But I thought he was initially recruited for basketball, but I could be wrong.
According to the stats he only played 2 games in basketball, but recorded stats for 3 seasons in football
We ( East) scrimmage Labrae that year. Absolutely NO upset when they beat StV/M. East played St V/M a few times late 70s/ 80. I honestly think that Labrae team were at least equal to Big Red in 83

Also, as many on this board probably know, Roselle Richardson played basketball briefly for Minnesota. But I thought he was initially recruited for basketball, but I could be wrong.
According to the stats he only played 2 games in basketball, but recorded stats for 3 seasons in football
We ( East) scrimmage Labrae that year. Absolutely NO upset when they beat StV/M. East played St V/M a few times late 70s/ 80. I honestly think that Labrae team were at least equal to Big Red in 83

As I remember it Minnesota suspended some basketball players after at least two or three were arrested and the HC resigned. They only had like 6 or 7 varsity players left and were talking about cancelling the rest of their hoops season. I think they did forfeit one Big 10 game. I forget his name but an assistant coach took over as acting coach. He got Mr. Richardson and at least one other football player to come out and play a couple of games. As far as I know Mr. Richardson was recruited for football, although he was All-SVC in hoops too.

Who was the LaBrae RB, Stephens?

Who was the LaBrae RB, Stephens?

Tony Stephens. Larry Toles was the QB. I think Darryl Rogers was at FB. Maybe Jeff Welles at a RB spot also? L. D. Hartman was one of their big guns but he was hurt and did not play in the postseason. I'm pretty sure he was their leading scorer in the regular season.

Tony Stephens. Larry Toles was the QB. I think Darryl Rogers was at FB. Maybe Jeff Welles at a RB spot also? L. D. Hartman was one of their big guns but he was hurt and did not play in the postseason. I'm pretty sure he was their leading scorer in the regular season.
I knew they had a great season but didn’t realize it was that dominant.

Agreed, the 83 team was really good. I remember being at the Ursuline game in the snow. My dad coached a bunch of those guys when they were younger. I was 11 and heart broken. We just kept turning the ball over. Besides the ones you mentioned, I think we fumbled a couple more times.

Who are the top 5 best teams ever in the Youngstown area?
Not to sound like an old guy or anything but if you are looking for the 5 teams that could beat the others head to head then there aren't too many of those teams in the last 25 years. I'd pick a few 'older' Mooney teams over the 2006 team. Poland's 1999 team and SR 2022 team are great but they would get pounded by most of the other teams you guys are listing. I think it would be fun to do it by school. Best city series team per school and best steel valley team per school !

Not to sound like an old guy or anything but if you are looking for the 5 teams that could beat the others head to head then there aren't too many of those teams in the last 25 years. I'd pick a few 'older' Mooney teams over the 2006 team. Poland's 1999 team and SR 2022 team are great but they would get pounded by most of the other teams you guys are listing. I think it would be fun to do it by school. Best city series team per school and best steel valley team per school !
Best teams for SVC Teams ever: My take.
Mooney 1980 State Team- !973 state championship second. Modern era 2006 Mooney State Team
Ursuline - 2008 State Champs !983 Ursuline team beat some really solid teams including a great Fitch Team
Boardman- 1987 State runner up Team. Bernie Kosar's Team if no strike second.
Harding- 1990 team....had amazing WR Provitt and 2 d-1 teams combined. 1974 State champs second beat Moeller and Upper Arlington solidly. Clarret's team 3rd.
Warren Western Reserve - 1972 Team state champs and 1973 state runner ups
Austintown Fitch- 1986 team first to make playoffs, 1992 team won 2 games in playoffs.
Niles - 1963 team, 1961 team both state champs
Howland- 1986 playoff qualifier

Feel free to disagree , just my best guesses.

Your right because all the schools were like double or triple in size from 1960s until the late 80's. Alot more kids on each team.as team picks form Mooney show.

Who are the top 5 best teams ever in the Youngstown area?

They didn’t win state, but ‘01 Harding would bang with anybody. I’m relatively young, but I can’t see five different area teams knocking that squad off.

My top five.

1990 warren team
2006 mooney team
1980 Mooney team
1973 Mooney team
1972 Warren Western Reserve team.

Comparing Mooney teams from the 2000’s is always interesting. A friend of mine who was on those coaching staffs prefers their ‘09 squad over all of them.

The 2000 Ursuline team has be in the running for most D1 players on a given team in 21st century (Valley purposes). I don't know how many they had, but I know it was a lot.

Naming top comparing eras, division size, changed size of the Valley in general makes it very tough. There are smaller school state champs that were really good, but would they match up with AAA/D1 teams that fell short? JFK or SR had some great teams, Ursuline/Mooney at their smallest had great teams. Are they beating 70's Warren teams? Were 60's Niles teams with 1 or 2 guys over 200lbs beating some of the recent champions with huge OL and great skill guys?

Fun debates with no correct or incorrect list...

Naming top comparing eras, division size, changed size of the Valley in general makes it very tough. There are smaller school state champs that were really good, but would they match up with AAA/D1 teams that fell short? JFK or SR had some great teams, Ursuline/Mooney at their smallest had great teams. Are they beating 70's Warren teams? Were 60's Niles teams with 1 or 2 guys over 200lbs beating some of the recent champions with huge OL and great skill guys?

Yep. This juxtaposition stretches to a macro level, making it hard to compare and debate any athletics across different eras. Johnny Unitas is a hall of famer, but in all honesty is he anywhere near as skilled as a average QB in today's NFL? (Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett, Daniel Jones).

Yep. This juxtaposition stretches to a macro level, making it hard to compare and debate any athletics across different eras. Johnny Unitas is a hall of famer, but in all honesty is he anywhere near as skilled as a average QB in today's NFL? (Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett, Daniel Jones).

Yes. Can any of them take a snap from under center, do an 8 step blind drop back, then deliver a strike or finesse pass to his receiver? :)

1st of all Pickett sucks he is not average and I say that as a Pitt Panther and Steelers fan.

2nd could today's best QBs deal with the physical beatings that QBs if the 50s and 60s took? Would they deal with the mental frustration that the defense was actually allowed to play defense?

Yes there are certainly things todays QBs have that are better than their predecessors, but the reverse is true also.

I have been a little bit busy and I want to post this now as I may not get another chance later. Today is my long-awaited 18th birthday. I hope I'm still around to celebrate my 21st but who knows, that's 12 years from now. :)

Anyway:

Niles decided to leave the SVC following the 1984 season. In their second stint as members of the SVC they only lasted a brief three seasons. In that 1982-84 span Niles compiled a 5-15-1 league mark. Their total for both SVC tours was 33-29-5 with back-to-back titles in 1954 and 54.

For the 2nd consecutive year Ursuline faced an undefeated team in week 10 to win a share of the SVC title and a playoff berth. This time it was Mooney coming in at 9-0 on the season and winners of 12 straight since last losing in week 7 of the 1983 season. Once again, the Irish came it at 8-1, the loss to Warren Harding in week 8. Harding beat Ursuline when Panther RB Willie Perez broke a 98-yard TD run early in the 4th quarter to erase a 7-6 Irish lead and give Harding the 12-7 victory.

In week 10, before a crowd of 16K, I think it was still a scoreless game when Mooney fumbled at the Irish 5-yard line after a 60-yard pass play put them in position to score. That was the beginning of the end for the Cardinals. The Irish forced 5 more Mooney turnovers, 2 more fumbles and three INTs, Sterling Hayden rushed for about 180 yards and 3 TDs and Ursuline really took it to the undefeated Cardinals, 35-0. It was Mooney’s worse loss since the 1976 playoff loss to Moeller. It was the third time in the playoff era that a Mooney team finished at 9-1 and failed to qualify. For the Irish it was the second consecutive year they knocked off an undefeated team in week 10 to win a share of the SVC crown and a playoff berth.

For the 4th straight year Steubenville would be the opponent for the SVC playoff participant, this time in a near-monsoon at Stambaugh Stadium. In a very tough defensive battle Big Red finally broke their SVC jinx and beat the Irish, 8-0. Both teams played very well defensively but Steubenville’s D totally shut down the Irish offense and Big Red put together one drive, a 75-yard 4th quarter drive, to win the game. It was Big Red's first playoff victory and Steubenville went on to win their first state championship when they beat Whitehall-Yearling in OT in the D2 title game.

1984 Ursuline.PNG

1984 URSULINE
STRUTHERS W 7-6
CANFIELD W 27-7
HUBBARD W 28-6
BOARDMAN W 9-3
WARREN WESTERN RESERVE W 35-0
HOWLAND W 31-7
FITCH W 13-7
WARREN HARDING L 7-12
NILES W 28-7
MOONEY W 35-0
*STEUBENVILLE L 0-8
*PLAYOFFS
9-26-1 SVC
1984 Mooney.PNG

1984 MOONEY
CHANEY W 12-0
ERIE CATHEDRAL PREP W 28-0
CLEVELAND ST. JOSEPH W 29-0
FITCH W 21-14
WARREN HARDING W 7-6
NILES W 17-7
BOARDMAN W 28-0
WARREN WESTERN RESERVE W 28-14
HOWLAND W 28-0
URSULINE L 0-35
9-16-1 SVC
1984 All-SVC Football Team Pic.PNG

1984 All-SVC Football Tean Text.PNG

College players I know of:

1st team Offense:

End – Mike McGlone – Mooney (Led the SVC in receiving) – YSU
OT – Joe Kelty – Mooney (AAA 2nd team All-State) – Notre Dame
OG – Mark McHugh – Boardman – E. Michigan
C – Anthony LaRubbio – Ursuline – Louisville
QB – Roselle Richardson – Reserve – Minnesota
RB – Sterling Hayden – Ursuline (Led the SVC in scoring) – N. Carolina
RB – Brian Frost – Fitch (Led the SVC in rushing and All-Purpose yards) – Mt. Union

2nd team Offense:

End – Jeff Purser – BGSU (not sure he played there though)
OT – Jeff Snovak – Fitch – YSU (not sure he played there either)
OT – Jeff Kuczek – Boardman – Jr. – OSU
OG – John DiMailo – Ursuline – Mercyhurst
QB – Job D’apolito – Mooney (Led the SVC in passing) – Kent St.
RB – Anthony Kenneally – Ursuline – Wooster

1st team Defense:

DE – Pat Narduzzi – Ursuline (AAA 3rd team All-State) – YSU & Rhode Island (current HC at Pitt)
IL – Steve Mullen – Mooney – Georgia Tech
IL – Travis Davis – Harding – Michigan St. – Drafted by the Cardinals, played for the Saints and Colts in NFL.
LB – Richard Williot – Ursuline – Hiram
LB – Paul Soltis – Fitch (Led the SVC in punting) – OSU & YSU
DB – Mark Stoops – Mooney – Iowa (Winningest HC in Kentucky U. football history)
DB – Kurt Latell – Ursuline – Akron
DB – Dave Arnold – Harding (AAA 3rd team All-State) – Michigan (All-Big 10) – Drafted by and played for the Steelers in the NFL. Played for the Tiger-Cats in the CFL.

2nd team Defense:

DE – Dave Wolfe – Boardman – Jr. (Led the SVC in QB sacks) – N. Carolina (1984 was the 1st year I saw any defensive stats compiled by the league)
DE – Andre Peterson – Reserve – Jr. – YSU
LB – Denny Petrosky – Howland – B-W
DB – Mark Pelini – Mooney – Jr. – OSU (more in 85)
P – Chris Reider – Mooney – Case W.R.

The 1984 Warren Harding team featured two future NFL players in DB Dave Arnold & DL Travis Davis. I want to ask if anybody else remembers the following:

When Mr. Davis was at Mich. St., I think it was his soph. or junior year, they opened the season with a big win over Southern Cal, something like 30-14. Then they lost badly to Notre Dame & Florida St. They were coming off a tie with Illinois when they went into Columbus and on the first play of the game OSU threw about an 80-yard TD. That must have pissed Sparty off, and Mr. Davis in particular, because he went off on the Buckeyes. I don't know who was trying to block him but Mr. Davis had 4 or 5 sacks himself. I don't know that OSU had 80 yards total the rest of the game and the Spartans won 13-7. Michigan St. ended up beating Southern Cal again in the Rose Bowl.

You are right on many levels. I pretty much listed best seasons for each hs that was in svc. The ol and dl are bigger now and qbs are more skilled at reads. If the 1972 WWR team were in hs now with as many players as they had, would they have been bigger and bulked up? dont know....maybe. But by mid 80's, the o line and d line was much bigger and closer to todays football and they actually were allowed to hit people . All the svc teams were like double there size of current school and had alot more players in their football programs so it is like comparing apples to oranges. I do know this, the Youngstown Warren area was elite in the 1980's and 90's in Ohio football and has become less and less a force due to population loss. We can compete at small school division levels like SR and Ursuline but our larger schools have become an afterthought.

The 1984 Warren Harding team featured two future NFL players in DB Dave Arnold & DL Travis Davis. I want to ask if anybody else remembers the following:

When Mr. Davis was at Mich. St., I think it was his soph. or junior year, they opened the season with a big win over Southern Cal, something like 30-14. Then they lost badly to Notre Dame & Florida St. They were coming off a tie with Illinois when they went into Columbus and on the first play of the game OSU threw about an 80-yard TD. That must have pissed Sparty off, and Mr. Davis in particular, because he went off on the Buckeyes. I don't know who was trying to block him but Mr. Davis had 4 or 5 sacks himself. I don't know that OSU had 80 yards total the rest of the game and the Spartans won 13-7. Michigan St. ended up beating Southern Cal again in the Rose Bowl.
I don't remember that particular game, but IIRC, He set either a MSU or Big Ten sack record? I can't remember if it was for a season or career.

I thought Greg Zackeroff (OSU) was on that Harding team also but he may have graduated the year prior.

It's funny because I see names on the All City and All SVC teams that I remember playing in college. Then I look t a guy who was an OL in HS and he is listed at 6'2" 210, LOL. That's a small LB now. Some of the guys on YTOWN's list that went on to the NFL were under 6' and under 200lbs in HS and played front 7 in the NFL. Crazy.

You are right on many levels. I pretty much listed best seasons for each hs that was in svc. The ol and dl are bigger now and qbs are more skilled at reads. If the 1972 WWR team were in hs now with as many players as they had, would they have been bigger and bulked up? dont know....maybe. But by mid 80's, the o line and d line was much bigger and closer to todays football and they actually were allowed to hit people . All the svc teams were like double there size of current school and had alot more players in their football programs so it is like comparing apples to oranges. I do know this, the Youngstown Warren area was elite in the 1980's and 90's in Ohio football and has become less and less a force due to population loss. We can compete at small school division levels like SR and Ursuline but our larger schools have become an afterthought.
I can recall playing on the single Universal machine that was sitting in the WWR locker room when I was a kid in the late 60's and early 70's.
It was the entirety of the weight program in that era.
Buster Cannon later created a top notch(for the time) weight program. We had one at Harding also by the late 70's.

Last edited: