Regular season matchups you'd like to see!

Didn't they recently lose their appeal, arguing they didn't have 23 transfers on their roster? Now those 23 will boost their CB number and move them up to 5A.

Based on their schedule, it would most likely be a decent game, but their elite players would give them an advantage, particularly the three D1 recruits who just announced that they would be transferring to AHS. The new Quips remind me of the post-Corona Ginn Academy.
Where are these 3 D1 recruits coming from ?

I believe 2 soph to be from PCC.maybe all three?
It might just be two. When I read the article, I thought they were talking about two brothers with Power 5 offers and another kid. But reading another article, the Aliquippa coach says Moon (p5 kid) and Brooks have lived together in Aliquippa since they were kids and are switching schools because of a family problem.

Last edited:
Schools I’d like to see Bellefontaine play

Valley View
Clinton Massie
Piqua
Celina
I agree that Celina and Bellefontaine should play. I was really hoping we would meet up in the state semi’s this past fall. Since 1972 they have only played once, and that was a playoff game in 1995. Remember that Bellefontaine was a charter member of the WBL in 1940-41 but left after 1964-65.

Where are these 3 D1 recruits coming from ?
I believe 2 soph to be from PCC.maybe all three?
It is 3 with 2 from PCC and one from Central Valley. Can't speak of the one from CV but the 2 from PCC are Quip residents who lived with friends to not have an hour's commute to PCC every day.
Didn't they recently lose their appeal, arguing they didn't have 23 transfers on their roster? Now those 23 will boost their CB number and move them up to 5A.

Based on their schedule, it would most likely be a decent game, but their elite players would give them an advantage, particularly the three D1 recruits who just announced that they would be transferring to AHS. The new Quips remind me of the post-Corona Ginn Academy.
They did argue that they didn't have 23 but only 5. The problem is the 5 is enough to move them to 5A anyway. They have the talent to compete in 5A or Ohio D2, what they do not have is the depth to play a full season of schools that size. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited:
It is 3 with 2 from PCC and one from Central Valley. Can't speak of the one from CV but the 2 from PCC are Quip residents who lived with friends to not have an hour's commute to PCC every day.

They did argue that they didn't have 23 but only 5. The problem is the 5 is enough to move them to 5A anyway. They have the talent to compete in 5A or Ohio D2, what they do not have is the depth to play a full season of schools that size. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.
Their saying 5 and actually having 23 over the last two years isn't the same. PSN 2/24 states that Brooks and Moon have been living together in Aliquippa. Because of family problems, they are no longer able to make the DAILY 45-minute commute (or whatever it is) any longer. But in a story with PSN 7/23 Moon stated he attended and played for the Central Valley School district and was originally going to transfer to Aliquippa but flipped to PCC.

Obviously, they have talent. Having a roster of 60+ isn't that small (Penn Hills won 5A in 2018 with 50 players on their roster), and they play a pretty mid regular season schedule for the talent they have, so their elite guys will be fresh and ready to win the 5A title.

There are some Stark County vs. Mahoning Valley games I like to see happen more often:
Alliance vs Chaney or Struthers
Harding vs. GO or Jackson
Lake vs Canfield
McKinley vs Ursuline
Louisville vs. Boardman
Canton South vs. Poland
South Range vs. Perry
CCC vs Mooney
Fitch vs NC
Agree with the South Range vs. Perry, only downside is, barring a realignment, it would likely result in the schools playing each other twice many years. Would also like to see South Range and Canfield play each year. Maybe 5-6 miles between stadiums.

Walsh Jesuit @ Massillon. Just to bring some of these Walsh loons here on Yappi back to reality.

Have these two schools ever played?
That would be fun, but don’t hold your breath.🤔

The last year these schools played was in 1998. The Tigers lead the series 5-2.

Why ? If your team had the option they would play 7-8 home games a year as well. How does it feel to always be “hanging” ?
Quite a few of the more prominent teams in the GHSA, opt to pay for teams to come to them with either a one time option, or on a continuing basis. And much to my surprise. Quite as few state and regional powerhouses around the Southeast, plus a few from other parts of the country, have taken on that challenge. CURRENTLY, Colquitt plays state 3A power Cedar Grove, for what has been a four season contract to this point. And it seems to have benefited both schools, since few teams will willfully play either school, unless there is a financial benefit to do so, or it's required under region membership.

Recently, Colquitt has had a number of teams who have come to the Hog Pen, to see what all the fuss was about. We've welcomed a number of state and national powers, in the person of Bishop Sullivan, Va., Dutch Fork, S.C., Trinity Catholic, MO., South Panola, Miss., and Alabama powers Carver Mongomery, Enterprise, Dothan, Northview, and Hoover. Not to be left out, Florida powers Tampa Plant, Miami Northwestern, Trinity Christian, and American Heritage, Plantation have journeyed North as well. And South Carolina state power Aiken, came to Moultrie four straight seasons, ending about a decade ago. Because of a lack of a desire by teams in their area, to compete with them. We also hosted Vista Murrietta, Calif., about four or five seasons ago. I guess that they wanted to get away from that long shadow, that is created by St. John Bosco and Mater Dei.

Colquitt has more recently started a co-sponsorship of a Georgia-Florida Border War, with their region partner Lowndes. So far, we have alternated the event between the Hog Pen, and the Concrete Palace at Lowndes. And we will enter our third season in 2024, IF Florida doesn't opted out as they did LAST season. THAT'S how we came about hosting five-time S. C. State Champion Dutch Fork, as the night cap of the border war. Lowndes played a team from North Carolina in the opener of the DH.

La Salle v. Hoban. Most combined D2 titles in the last decade, but have never played each other.
LS v. TCC. Harder with the Irish joining the Detroit league, but would be interesting.
LS v. Ursuline. We've never played them, but would make for a good matchup.
LS v. Iggy. The rest of the GCL schedules them on occasion.
LS at Avon. I understand that, being a public school, they may not have the travel budget for a regular season game, but I really respect their coaching staff and program, and would love to drive up there for a game.

In short, any solid D1-D3 program within the state that would play us, so we could get our out-of-state schedule back below 3.
WHY the aversion to playing OOS? In the case of Ohio. I would imagine that if your team had attained a certain quality of play. You'd welcome the opportunity to test your mettle against quality outside competition. Am I wrong in my assumption? In OUR case at Colquitt, it just so happens that we've been fortunate enough in the past two decades, to be able to attract such competition.

Why? If you can schedule 10 home games a year wouldn’t most coaches? Whether or not you admit it but yes. Coaches would love have 7-8 home games a year but they simply can’t. Why begrudge anyone just because they can do something you can’t.
In Ohio, don't you have a specific number of region foes every season? In our case, we play Lowndes, Camden Co., Tift Co., Effingham Co., Valdosta, and Richmond Hill every season, alternating between home and away. All OTHERS of the remaining four in the ten-game schedule, are non-region opponents. And we are obligated to find those opponents on our own volition.

In Ohio, don't you have a specific number of region foes every season? In our case, we play Lowndes, Camden Co., Tift Co., Effingham Co., Valdosta, and Richmond Hill every season, alternating between home and away. All OTHERS of the remaining four in the ten-game schedule, are non-region opponents. And we are obligated to find those opponents on our own volition.
Most regions (4 regions per division 1–7) have 20–25 teams; you have no obligation to play any of them until the first four rounds of the state playoffs. You want to rack up computer points throughout the regular season to secure a 1-4 seed in your region, allowing you to play two first-round playoff games.

If you don't play in a local conference, you can play whoever you want (within the rules) during the 10-week regular season.

Steubenville vs Ironton. A natural rivalry of two blue bloods. Both Ohio River towns, two towns who have suffered the same fate economically from loss of steel jobs etc. in short two nearly identical type places and people. Two storied programs. I can’t think of a more natural rivalry any where in Ohio.

Steubenville vs Ironton. A natural rivalry of two blue bloods. Both Ohio River towns, two towns who have suffered the same fate economically from loss of steel jobs etc. in short two nearly identical type places and people. Two storied programs. I can’t think of a more natural rivalry any where in Ohio.
This could be possible now in the future as Ironton has left the Ohio Valley Conference in football and is independent like Stuebenville. Hopefully some calls between the two are made in the future

Ironton would be a cool game, but that 9-hour (round-trip) bus ride is just too long for a high school game. I'd like to see Big Red play a few of these teams (2-hour-ish round trips) every year: South Range, Canfield, Warren Harding, West Branch, Garaway, Poland, and Fitch.

Ironton would be a cool game, but that 9-hour (round-trip) bus ride is just too long for a high school game. I'd like to see Big Red play a few of these teams (2-hour-ish round trips) every year: South Range, Canfield, Warren Harding, West Branch, Garaway, Poland, and Fitch.

I mentioned Steubenville-Fitch previously in this thread. Those two got together on short notice back in 2020 and it was a heckuva game........ a one point overtime.

The only way Ironton could work would be to make it an 2 day trip. I’m sure the gate money would allow for the expense. Everyone of those games you mentioned makes perfect sense. Problem is after week 3 wouldn’t they all be in league play and unable play us. And I’m not sure all of those teams would be willing. I’m sure Harding and Fitch would be, but I’m not sure about the others. Are Harding and fitch both independents.

Always first game i think of when talking natural rivalry...227 miles away.