Regions 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21 “VERY GOOD” vs. “ELITE” programs

Not jealous of high school kids. You build your ego by watching them do well from the stands. I want Mentor to win but I don't get self esteem based off if 15-18 year old kids win it all in sports

Everything I said about Eds is true. I don't give a damn if you don't like it
Talk a lot of trash and hate for someone who’s never won anything 😂. I don’t get any self esteem boost I’m an adult / fan who supports their school.

considering I went there won a title , coached there won a title and now as a fan get to see them win tittles. I think I have a little bit better insight into the program then a public school hater who can’t stomach the losses to better teams and just creates excuses.

Duh. But a couple can be used the same way as a few at times. Doesn't have to be 2. I know you've won the least 2 and in 94. No need for semantics on a message board lol.

No need to bring up runner ups. Apparently they don't matter
I feel you about the runner-ups. In ‘98 when Chardon was runner-up, if they play that game 10 times Chardon wins 9. 5 turnovers to Lebanon’s 0, and Chardon out gaining Lebanon by 160 yards, but still losing on a last second hook ‘n ladder 27-21. Tough way to lose, which is very similar to a couple of Mentor’s runner-ups. You guys should have at least 1, I just wish Triv emphasized defense more during those years of outstanding home grown talent.

Talk a lot of trash and hate for someone who’s never won anything 😂. I don’t get any self esteem boost I’m an adult / fan who supports their school.

considering I went there won a title , coached there won a title and now as a fan get to see them win tittles. I think I have a little bit better insight into the program then a public school hater who can’t stomach the losses to better teams and just creates excuses.
Na. It's two different playing fields. Quite frankly your school was an embarrassment to not get it done until 2010 with all your advantages. The system is made for the mini colleges to win it all a ton. That's why the disparity in D1 is so huge.

You can call it trash talk. I call it reality. Again if you don't like it, I don't care. Don't quote me if you don't want to talk to me. Your school has it way easier to win it all

I feel you about the runner-ups. In ‘98 when Chardon was runner-up, if they play that game 10 times Chardon wins 9. 5 turnovers to Lebanon’s 0, and Chardon out gaining Lebanon by 160 yards, but still losing on a last second hook ‘n ladder 27-21. Tough way to lose, which is very similar to a couple of Mentor’s runner-ups. You guys should have at least 1, I just wish Triv emphasized defense more during those years of outstanding home grown talent.
I've bemoaned defensive coaching more than anyone for Mentor but all their chances weren't lost because of defense. Bad offense and some bad luck lost in 03, 06, 11 etc

Na. It's two different playing fields. Quite frankly your school was an embarrassment to not get it done until 2010 with all your advantages. The system is made for the mini colleges to win it all a ton. That's why the disparity in D1 is so huge.

You can call it trash talk. I call it reality. Again if you don't like it, I don't care. Don't quote me if you don't want to talk to me. Your school has it way easier to win it all
And the reality is your school has never won anything 😬.

I’ll talk all day and your opinion and mine are never gonna change so let’s just agree to disagree.

I respect mentors program they built it the right way , and have been a contsant for 20 yrs . Strongsville/ Solon / Brunswick should all be jealous. They’re the top tier public north of Columbus, they just choke when it matters.

And the reality is your school has never won anything 😬.

I’ll talk all day and your opinion and mine are never gonna change so let’s just agree to disagree.

I respect mentors program they built it the right way , and have been a contsant for 20 yrs . Strongsville/ Solon / Brunswick should all be jealous. They’re the top tier public north of Columbus, they just choke when it matters.
You quoted me to shoot your dumb mouth off. You came into the thread where I was just talking to a Kirtland fan and quoted something to start a fight.

If you don't want a fight , don't start it. Just keep your mouth shut and stay out of it. I don't care about your opinion of Mentor. By your logic St Eds choked the same way before 2010.

I dont respect your program. And you can shove it on the fake respect after shooting your mouth off

You quoted me to shoot your dumb mouth off. You came into the thread where I was just talking to a Kirtland fan and quoted something to start a fight.

If you don't want a fight , don't start it. Just keep your mouth shut and stay out of it. I don't care about your opinion of Mentor. By your logic St Eds choked the same way before 2010.

I dont respect your program. And you can shove it on the fake respect after shooting your mouth off
Man your internet tough guy posts have really got me scared 😱.

mentor has choked , period , plain and simple and yes so did St Eds many years. Anyone pre 2010 would fully agree with you.

Man your internet tough guy posts have really got me scared 😱.

mentor has choked , period , plain and simple and yes so did St Eds many years. Anyone pre 2010 would fully agree with you.
Can't claim the internet tough guy stuff when you are the one starting fights behind anonymity on a message board ...

You quoted something having nothing to do with Eds to start a fight. Stop acting innocent. You were being a dbag. So you get back what you deserve

Assuming Elite = regional finals most years, state semi-finals every few years … the obvious ones are Ed’s, Iggy, Hoban, Chardon, Kirtland, Medina.

Aurora, Dover, Canfield, maybe Solon, Massillon, and McKinley start to be in the gray area. I think Massillon and McKinley go into the Elite category.

So the Very Good then becomes … Mentor, Walsh, Lake Catholic(?), Perry. I am likely forgetting a lot of schools in D5-D7.
Young.Mooney has 9 state titles and many final 4s.Cleveland Benedictine has 8 state titles and many final fours.Better than many of the teams on your list.I guess the 1st 45 years of the playoffs don't count,just the last 6 or 7.

Young.Mooney has 9 state titles and many final 4s.Cleveland Benedictine has 8 state titles and many final fours.Better than many of the teams on your list.I guess the 1st 45 years of the playoffs don't count,just the last 6 or 7.
For sure - a lot of recency bias in these posts (mine included). If you expand to the past 40-50+ years, schools like Mooney, McKinley, Massillon, Ironton, etc are much more in the discussion (and I am forgetting a ton of great teams!).

And now Massillon will check back into the discussion in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

In region 21 I would say Kirtland Canton Central Catholic & Moggy are elite. All have won championships.
I would say the next level would be Brookfield, Dalton & Cuyahoga Heights being very good. CH had a pair of state championship games but just couldn't break through. Valley Christian has put a few good seasons together but I'd like to see more out of them before I call them a very good program. Then it really drops off.

Historically Ignatius was once an elite program. I'd say now they are maybe at the very good level, but probably closer to good.

In Region 1 Eds is the lone elite program right now. Mentor second. Ignatius a far third.

@ColdWindBlows Does that mean Iggy and Mentor are not elite in your opinion?
I've been closely following the program since 1986. Your definition of elite is clearly different from mine.

Ignatius hasn't been an elite program for many years. That's okay. It's not possible to sustain that level forever.

Right now it's a good football program, but it should be given the # of kids and the other advantages a large private school has.

I have Mentor higher because they have been to a semi-final for or title game more recently than Ignatius.

If Mentor and Chardon played the last 20 years you'd probably win 3 or 4. It's two different levels of ball from D1 to D3.
Correct. You'd also beat Marion Local 18-20 times out of twenty. But there's no question that they are the better program. Whether Mentor is elite or "just" excellent depends on where one draws that line, which is purely opinion. I lean toward elite being at or near the top 2% of the entire state, which I believe would be 15 programs, give or take.

If Mentor and Chardon played the last 20 years you'd probably win 3 or 4. It's two different levels of ball from D1 to D3.
With 3 of those 4 probably in the last 3 years. But who knows?!
Other than Scotty Fox, I haven’t heard much hype about Mentor as of late. Also, went to 2 Mentor games last year and the attendance on your home side was a bit embarrassing. What’s going on with football in Mentor?

With 3 of those 4 probably in the last 3 years. But who knows?!
Other than Scotty Fox, I haven’t heard much hype about Mentor as of late. Also, went to 2 Mentor games last year and the attendance on your home side was a bit embarrassing. What’s going on with football in Mentor?
This thread was bumped from November. Not doing this again.

If Chardon has the stones, play a real game. Scrimmages aren't real games. Riverside did so and Mentor beat them in a close game. Riverside beat Chardon by multiple scores. And sorry but you weren't beating Mentor in a year they got to the final 4 in D1 (2020)

I actually like Chardon. You Johnny come latelys who joined after winning the title in 2020 could just be immature kids. If not, you are very unlikable

The elite vs non elite stuff, I really don't care about what people think. I think Mentor during their run was elite but last few years haven't been. Making the final 8 in a non power team year in D1 is something I'll take

Last edited:
in my humble opinion:

this just applies to the Greater Cleveland area-and im also taking into account consistent winning and the players from the program who went on to play high level-d1 and nfl.

ELITE: St Eds, Kirtland, Mentor, Chardon
LEGENDARY: Ignatius, Benedictine, St Joes, Glenville.

who did I miss?

in my humble opinion:

this just applies to the Greater Cleveland area-and im also taking into account consistent winning and the players from the program who went on to play high level-d1 and nfl.

ELITE: St Eds, Kirtland, Mentor, Chardon
LEGENDARY: Ignatius, Benedictine, St Joes, Glenville.

who did I miss?
I'd argue any you of the 4 you put as elite have done more than glenville overall. Also you are going way back for st joes