Regional thread

Never knew that. I still think 40.79 will stand for a long time. And definitely don't think we'll see anybody from Ohio ever challenging that national record.

Last edited:
AWESOME GIRLS' 3200M @ Amherst-Steele (Region 2)

#10 A-T - 10:24.65 Meet Record - Julia Isham (Strongsville)
#11 A-T - 10:25.20 - Sarah Peer (Westlake)
#12 A-T - 10:26.15 - Katie Clute (Olmsted Falls)

That might be a record for the best 3rd place ever in an Ohio girls' race. Killer competition.

The girls put on a show in the longer distance races at Norwayne.
Jaylee Wingate of Norwayne broke Stephanie Morgan's region 9 record with a 4:51.42. 4:55.99 was 2nd, 4:56.45 was 3rd, and 5:02.04 was 4th. That's pretty good for a D3 regional. I believe that's the fastest 4th place time in the history of this regional meet.

In the 3200, Caleigh Richards of Maplewood doubled back from the 1600 to break her own Region 9 record with a 10:52.71. The next 2 finishers were a pair of freshmen who broke 11:00, and 4th was defending state 3200 champ Megan Hipple who tripled back from the 1600 and 800 with an 11:01.79. 5th was an 11:07.42. That 5th place time was faster than any of the girls 3200 times from the other 3 regionals. Every one of the top 5 places' times might be the fastest in the history of this regional meet for that particular placing. That may also be true of each of the top 4 placings in the 1600.

In addition Nastari's record run in the 800, the boys saw a pair of outstanding doubles by East Canton's Brylan Holland in 4:17/9:16 (9:16.38 broke the Region 9 meet record) and Rittman freshman Luke Snyder in 4:18/9:18.

At Austintown, it was the Federal League boys stealing the show in the long distance events. Noah Johnson of Hoover and Tommy Rice of GlenOak both went under the old Region 1 record. Fellow Fed boys Theo Papas of Green and Connor Reed of Perry rounded out the sweep. Johnson doubled back to win the 800. In the 3200, the Fed boys swept the top 4 places with Rice and Papas doubling back in 9:09 and 9:10. Jackson sophomore Eli Ilg took 3rd at 9:12, and Papas' twin brother Spiro took 4th in 9:19.

Last edited:
^^^
EDIT above. Megan Hipple of McDonald actually tripled last night and qualified in all 3 events at D3 Norwayne: 4:55.99, 2:17.38, 11:01.79. I did not realize she was entered in the 800.

Isn't it odd that there are no notes in the results as to why Pick Cent was DQ'd in the 4x100. I see in the boys 300h there are only 7 results too. There really should be standards of how results are listed / posted. How hard is DNS? DQ out of exchange zone 2? Just sort of irritating that results have 7 results and no explanations. IMO

Isn't it odd that there are no notes in the results as to why Pick Cent was DQ'd in the 4x100. I see in the boys 300h there are only 7 results too. There really should be standards of how results are listed / posted. How hard is DNS? DQ out of exchange zone 2? Just sort of irritating that results have 7 results and no explanations. IMO
It would be nice if there were reasons given. The 300 hurdles only had seven because our runner from Coffman injured himself in the race.

The D1 boys team race just opened up. Pick Central 4x100 DQ'd after posting a 41.29.

Their 4x2 team did get in to state by finishing 4th without Lane. And if the 4X4 gets in, they can slot Lane on those team next week.
Pick Central should be this years repeat state champion. What a shame that the powers to be DQ one of the fastest 4x100 relay team in the state of Ohio history. That relay team would have won the state title for Pick Central. Unreal how the video evidence showed nothing wrong with the exchange yet nothing was done about it. 2016 Pick Central vs St.X had the same issue in football robbing Pick Central of going to state finals and a chance to be back-to-back state champions (2017 beating Mentor in the finals). Something needs to be addressed when it comes to stuff like this.

The powers-that-be do not want PC to win year after year. Not sure why. PC turns out incredible teams and athletes each year. Why the system is against PC is hard to fathom.

The powers-that-be do not want PC to win year after year. Not sure why. PC turns out incredible teams and athletes each year. Why the system is against PC is hard to fathom.
Don't know about that, but I'm simply asking for consistency and some sort of thoroughness in reporting results. Simple DQ out of zone is all I'm asking. DNS. DNF, DQ all very common. If people can do it for an invite with volunteer help, I would think the District and Regional paid timing companies could do it.

Don't know about that, but I'm simply asking for consistency and some sort of thoroughness in reporting results. Simple DQ out of zone is all I'm asking. DNS. DNF, DQ all very common. If people can do it for an invite with volunteer help, I would think the District and Regional paid timing companies could do it.
I assume the timing companies would be more than happy to include that info, but someone, presumably the head official, has to provide them with that information.

I assume the timing companies would be more than happy to include that info, but someone, presumably the head official, has to provide them with that information.
I agree, but they knew enough not to include them in the results, so they had to know if they were a DNS, DNF or DQ. That basic info should be there. The team or individual shouldn't just have nothing. 8 made it to finals. 7 results. That's not how it should be done at that level. IMO Minimum is DQ without an explanation. The format and how results were published this year was not very good. Inconsistent. Very simple to publish in order of event number. 100,200,400,800,1600,3200, 110H, 300H, 4x100.... etc.. Who looks at results like that? Only lunatics I suppose.

I could be wrong, but I believe that order is the preferred order set by the Associated Press for results publication.

In Hy-Tek it's labeled as "publication order" when you go to print results (as opposed to "event number order" or "session order"). I think it might even be the default option of those three.

I was traveling out of state and following live results online. Hours went by with results frozen, or so I wondered. I spent a lot of time checking and double checking wifi & cell services, refreshing, and other trouble shooting. Is there a way for timing companies to put "weather delay" on live results when applicable?

Also, I follow a lot of meets during the season via live results. Can Milesplit's calendar provide the timing company for the meet? Not a lot of meet management include the timing company in their meet information that includes parking, entries, etc. Can this be asked for or required when being placed on Milesplit's calendar? There seem to be more and more timing companies, many of which I have not previously known, so going from website to website looking for meets becomes time consuming and many times without success.

Pick Central should be this years repeat state champion. What a shame that the powers to be DQ one of the fastest 4x100 relay team in the state of Ohio history. That relay team would have won the state title for Pick Central. Unreal how the video evidence showed nothing wrong with the exchange yet nothing was done about it. 2016 Pick Central vs St.X had the same issue in football robbing Pick Central of going to state finals and a chance to be back-to-back state champions (2017 beating Mentor in the finals). Something needs to be addressed when it comes to stuff like this.
I didn't see the DQ, though I agree that Pick Central's 4X100 team (especially after Moeller DQ'd at district) was the favorite. With that, Pick Central still had an opportunity to win the team title if their other sprint relays ran up to expectations. Lane, as expected, ran well in the 100 to win and Joseph Lindsey (400) and Xavier McCoy (200) grabbed a couple extra points than their times/seedings slotted.

But Lane finishing third in the 200 was a slight disappointment. Granted, D.J. Fillmore proved in the postseason run that he was head and shoulders the state's top 200 runner and Nick Biega is no slouch. But third in the 200 for Ohio's all-time fastest 100 runner is IMO, slightly disappointing.

Seventh in the 4X200 (with Lane added) was definitely a disappointment. I thought that team had a chance at a sub 1:26 and a first or second-place finish.

The 4X400 had an opportunity to score some points as well but couldn't make the finals. Another disappointment.

You can blame the DQ at regionals, but fact of the matter is if Lane holds off Biega in the 200; the 4X200 even finishes fourth; and the 4X400 finishes 7th, then PC would have beeb team champs for the fifth D1 meet in a row. For all the incredible teams and athletes at PC, those relay results should have easily been in reach.

I didn't see the DQ, though I agree that Pick Central's 4X100 team (especially after Moeller DQ'd at district) was the favorite. With that, Pick Central still had an opportunity to win the team title if their other sprint relays ran up to expectations. Lane, as expected, ran well in the 100 to win and Joseph Lindsey (400) and Xavier McCoy (200) grabbed a couple extra points than their times/seedings slotted.

But Lane finishing third in the 200 was a slight disappointment. Granted, D.J. Fillmore proved in the postseason run that he was head and shoulders the state's top 200 runner and Nick Biega is no slouch. But third in the 200 for Ohio's all-time fastest 100 runner is IMO, slightly disappointing.

Seventh in the 4X200 (with Lane added) was definitely a disappointment. I thought that team had a chance at a sub 1:26 and a first or second-place finish.

The 4X400 had an opportunity to score some points as well but couldn't make the finals. Another disappointment.

You can blame the DQ at regionals, but fact of the matter is if Lane holds off Biega in the 200; the 4X200 even finishes fourth; and the 4X400 finishes 7th, then PC would have beeb team champs for the fifth D1 meet in a row. For all the incredible teams and athletes at PC, those relay results should have easily been in reach.
All good points. But to have a relay that is your bread and butter DQ'd like that is hard to make up. Lane is an incredible athlete. Having to make up the ground may have been too much to overcome. PC's 4x100 relay team would have finished in the top 2 worse case. That would have won it right there. But if and butts ............... back to training ( like all PC teams do in the off season ).

All good points. But to have a relay that is your bread and butter DQ'd like that is hard to make up. Lane is an incredible athlete. Having to make up the ground may have been too much to overcome. PC's 4x100 relay team would have finished in the top 2 worse case. That would have won it right there. But if and butts ............... back to training ( like all PC teams do in the off season ).
What was the reason for the DQ?

Hindsight is 20/20, but if PC's 4x4 just makes finals as a non-auto qualifier from heat 2, they end up winning the team title, and Lancaster is team runner-up. SJJ was 7th in the 1st heat of 4x4 prelims, but none of the teams outside the auto-qualifiers from heat 2 could beat SJJ's time, so they barely made the final and then won it.

Hindsight is 20/20, but if PC's 4x4 just makes finals as a non-auto qualifier from heat 2, they end up winning the team title, and Lancaster is team runner-up. SJJ was 7th in the 1st heat of 4x4 prelims, but none of the teams outside the auto-qualifiers from heat 2 could beat SJJ's time, so they barely made the final and then won it.
Great point. Didn't even think of that

I was traveling out of state and following live results online. Hours went by with results frozen, or so I wondered. I spent a lot of time checking and double checking wifi & cell services, refreshing, and other trouble shooting. Is there a way for timing companies to put "weather delay" on live results when applicable?

Also, I follow a lot of meets during the season via live results. Can Milesplit's calendar provide the timing company for the meet? Not a lot of meet management include the timing company in their meet information that includes parking, entries, etc. Can this be asked for or required when being placed on Milesplit's calendar? There seem to be more and more timing companies, many of which I have not previously known, so going from website to website looking for meets becomes time consuming and many times without success.
There is not a way for us to add a note like weather delay (yet) to milesplit live results. Plus we were pretty busy trying to cover stuff and tie boards down with storm coming in as fast as it did.
If you follow live results then all you have to do is look at the top as it will say the timing company. The milesplit master page is http://milesplit.live/overall and when you click a meet it goes to that timing company's live results page. Most all milesplit meet pages include the timing company right at the top of the page along with host school and other info.
A lot of this will be improving this summer with the addition of directathletics to the family of flosports and milesplit. Rankings will become almost instant with milesplit adopting a system similar to what tfrrs is for college. It will also in the future make tfrrs a system that will follow the athlete from ms to college so rankings will have history for the athletes.