Regional Finals - Saturday 11/6

Avon 1
Massillon Jackson 0

Avon scores in the last 2 minutes of regulation. The Avon Eagles have a date with the St. Ignatius Wildcats at Brunswick next Wednesday.

DI - Centerville vs. St. Xavier - St. Xavier wins 2-1 OT. St. Xavier is hot at the right time and defending well. Centerville can score, but I think they give up too many opportunities and that will hurt them in this round.
DII - Wyoming vs. Oakwood - Oakwood wins 2-1 OT. Same result. 20-0-0 is nothing to scoff at and I don’t think you can bet against them until a possible state final match up. Wyoming back in regionals but come up short.
DIII - Madeira vs. Worthington Christian - Madeira 3-0. Madeira wins easily next two rounds to see Ottawa Hills in a state final.
1 for 3… But I did nail the Madeira score!

St. X made it interesting as I thought they would. Wyoming handling a previously undefeated and untouched Oakwood team was eye opening. Madeira keeps rolling.

How about the Cincinnati Hills League! Putting 2 teams in their respective Final Fours…Wyoming and Madeira…Sad St X couldn’t complete the Southwest sweep…

A few thoughts on the Wyoming win over Oakwood. Wyoming jumped to a quick 2 goal lead scoring twice in the first 6 minutes. Both were lofted balls (centered kick and a long sideline thow-in} into the box in front of goal. There was a wicked sun directly in the goalie's eyes and he seemed to panic...not knowing whether to punch the ball or catch it. In the scramble...the ball found net. Then mid-way through the first half, Oakwood lost their centerback to injury. He is the anchor to their team. None of this is to take away from Wyoming's win. The CHL team plays a physical, pressure game that Oakwood was not prepared to play. I thought Wyoming totally dominated first half play as Oakwood struggled to get their passing game and rhythm going. Oakwood adjusted in the second half and had numerous chances in front of goal to close the gap....but as we all know...sometimes the ball goes in and other days it doesn't. Moving forward, Oakwood needs to schedule tougher non-league opponents to prepare for the rigors of the tournament. Oakwood had a very easy path to the regionals as being top seed was able to play through a much weaker northern rural based group of teams. They handled Bellbrook in the regional semi's, but Bellbrook is not a physical team that presses all over the pitch. Oakwood had not faced the type of physicality that Wyoming presented all season. For the Jacks, to take the next step, they need to lace their future non con schedule with more D-1 teams and a few top Cincy D-2s. Wyoming is a great rep for Southwest Ohio and I hope they win state.
s

Jerome did only lose 3-0 to Ignatius in the last game of the year so they are a capable side. They were one of two Ohio teams in the regular season to lose 3-0, which was the lowest margin of victory for the season against Ignatius (excluding the Noblesville game).

Jerome did only lose 3-0 to Ignatius in the last game of the year so they are a capable side. They were one of two Ohio teams in the regular season to lose 3-0, which was the lowest margin of victory for the season against Ignatius (excluding the Noblesville game).
Is that a moral victory? A loss is still a loss.
Wondering how DJ and Centerville are going to match up?

A
A few thoughts on the Wyoming win over Oakwood. Wyoming jumped to a quick 2 goal lead scoring twice in the first 6 minutes. Both were lofted balls (centered kick and a long sideline thow-in} into the box in front of goal. There was a wicked sun directly in the goalie's eyes and he seemed to panic...not knowing whether to punch the ball or catch it. In the scramble...the ball found net. Then mid-way through the first half, Oakwood lost their centerback to injury. He is the anchor to their team. None of this is to take away from Wyoming's win. The CHL team plays a physical, pressure game that Oakwood was not prepared to play. I thought Wyoming totally dominated first half play as Oakwood struggled to get their passing game and rhythm going. Oakwood adjusted in the second half and had numerous chances in front of goal to close the gap....but as we all know...sometimes the ball goes in and other days it doesn't. Moving forward, Oakwood needs to schedule tougher non-league opponents to prepare for the rigors of the tournament. Oakwood had a very easy path to the regionals as being top seed was able to play through a much weaker northern rural based group of teams. They handled Bellbrook in the regional semi's, but Bellbrook is not a physical team that presses all over the pitch. Oakwood had not faced the type of physicality that Wyoming presented all season. For the Jacks, to take the next step, they need to lace their future non con schedule with more D-1 teams and a few top Cincy D-2s. Wyoming is a great rep for Southwest Ohio and I hope they win state.

-Wyoming had a game plan coming in and they executed it very well. First, I think they wanted to throw numbers at Oakwood's best players and they did so very well. Both excel one v one, but Wyoming would send 2-3 players whenever they touched the ball. Second, I will assume that this is normal play for Wyoming, but every corner, free kick, or every opportunity they had, they sent the ball into Oakwood's 8-12 yard range and forced the Oakwood keeper to make a decision. He kept just about every time (would say 15+) and made the play with the exception of the two goals. The first to me, was an unlucky bounce, that went to a Wyoming player for a nice one-time finish. The second was a very nice goal where Wyoming beat the keeper to the ball.

Also, Wyoming did an exceptional job of defending the goal. They had 2-3 saves off the line to help their keeper. Oakwood also hit the cross-bar at least twice.

Would agree that Wyoming's physical and pressure style was the difference. Not sure I put that on the schedule. In each of the past two years, they have played and beat D1 state ranked teams. With the schedule opening up, they should look to add some schools, but played CJ, Springboro, Mariemont, and Fairmont out of conference this year and handled each of them.

Will be interesting to see Dayton and the SWBL next year. Oakwood has graduated 10 seniors in each of the past two years. Bellbrook loses a ton. Can Monroe rebound? Alter loses some key players. Tipp will lose some key members. A question for the off-season, but next year appears to be wide open.