Region 4 Semi-Finals: Elder(10-2) vs. Lakota West(12-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I’ve said before, there’s usually a pretty high floor with the feeder system Elder has, but there’s often a lower ceiling associated with that. Very rarely will they have legitimately bad teams, but it’s also harder to compete at a higher level.

As I’ve said before, there’s usually a pretty high floor with the feeder system Elder has, but there’s often a lower ceiling associated with that. Very rarely will they have legitimately bad teams, but it’s also harder to compete at a higher level.

They potentially might have lost to the Division 1 state champions who will be nationally ranked top 20 if they finish undefeated. I was expecting a better game, but I guess LW was that good. What can you do? You can't recruit like you're a college program. They are doing what they can.

On the bright side, Elder junior class is very good and the sophomores have some players too. Elder will be really good again next season.

On the bright side, Elder junior class is very good and the sophomores have some players too. Elder will be really good again next season.
We need defensive backs who can take away the back end of the field. They are not in the gcyl. I watched that league all year. Lakota West with 5 defensive backs going D1 is insane. Moeller will not be able to pass on this team even with their newly discovered freshman quarterback.
marshall is going to have tough sledding. Expect a very low scoring game.

They potentially might have lost to the Division 1 state champions who will be nationally ranked top 20 if they finish undefeated. I was expecting a better game, but I guess LW was that good. What can you do? You can't recruit like you're a college program. They are doing what they can.
They have to figure out a way to get more talent in the door. Literally 1-2 players would make a massive difference

We need defensive backs who can take away the back end of the field. They are not in the gcyl. I watched that league all year. Lakota West with 5 defensive backs going D1 is insane. Moeller will not be able to pass on this team even with their newly discovered freshman quarterback.
marshall is going to have tough sledding. Expect a very low scoring game.
Elder has good Safeties, but Corners are going to be a concern.

They have to figure out a way to get more talent in the door. Literally 1-2 players would make a massive difference
Agree! Just 1 or 2 speedsters / year. The Vols 5th and 6th grades have them and Elder bound but that seems light years away.

Agree! Just 1 or 2 speedsters / year. The Vols 5th and 6th grades have them and Elder bound but that seems light years away.
This is exactly what people have talked about.... You are excited about 5-6 graders? Kids before they hit puberty and how they'll contribute at the high school level..... Absolutely ridiculous.

Elder is just fine. They have enough talent and good coaching. Unfortunately they are in the toughest region in the state.

Elder has good Safeties, but Corners are going to be a concern.

Priestle and Summers will be good corners next season. They have Fortkamp back who saw a lot of time at safety. Time will tell if anyone moves positions or not. Elder won't have anyone D1 in the secondary, but not many programs do.

Corners were not the issue last night. Elder couldn't move the ball consistently last night.

Priestle and Summers will be good corners next season. They have Fortkamp back who saw a lot of time at safety. Time will tell if anyone moves positions or not. Elder won't have anyone D1 in the secondary, but not many programs do.

Corners were not the issue last night. Elder couldn't move the ball consistently last night.
So we gave up 30 points last night but the real reason we lost was we could not move the ball consistently because our receivers could not get open with our quarterback having all night to sit there. - why was that?
Our defense being one step behind was an issue.

So we gave up 30 points last night but the real reason we lost was we could not move the ball consistently because our receivers could not get open with our quarterback having all night to sit there. - why was that?

Defense was not great last night either, you are correct.

They’ll be good vs most competition but they’ll struggle vs elite speed.

This is exactly what people have talked about.... You are excited about 5-6 graders? Kids before they hit puberty and how they'll contribute at the high school level..... Absolutely ridiculous.

Elder is just fine. They have enough talent and good coaching. Unfortunately they are in the toughest region in the state.
. They need just 1-2 more players to be on that top tier of D1 programs.

“Just fine”. You are making my point from earlier posts. 8-2 every year is just fine with a nice playoff run and then maybe every 10 years a Luebbe/Royer/James etc class comes along and we do better than just fine. If this is how Elder wants to roll ( ref my earlier post) then I am just fine with it also. But if you are expecting better all I am saying is it is not going to come from the gcyl (earlier post). We need one or two faster kids every year.
but- I am just fine also

Why was that? That's because we spent the entire week preparing for man to man coverage, then LW played zone and we didn't adapt.

So much whining from one of the most successful programs. Elder is not 1-2 speedsters away from state every year. Sorry, it's Region 4 where anything goes. Ed's doesn't have the same success in R4, it's just the reality. Region 4 is absolutely brutal every year.

“Just fine”. You are making my point from earlier posts. 8-2 every year is just fine with a nice playoff run and then maybe every 10 years a Luebbe/Royer/James etc class comes along and we do better than just fine. If this is how Elder wants to roll ( ref my earlier post) then I am just fine with it also. But if you are expecting better all I am saying is it is not going to come from the gcyl (earlier post). We need one or two faster kids every year.
but- I am just fine also
I’ve been saying that for well over a decade. I do think there’s more talent in the GCYL now than a few years ago, but yes, they need a stud like Tayshawn Banks from Taft. Maybe not him specifically, as others have pointed out, Taft has a strong lockdown on their talent.

So much whining from one of the most successful programs. Elder is not 1-2 speedsters away from state every year. Sorry, it's Region 4 where anything goes. Ed's doesn't have the same success in R4, it's just the reality. Region 4 is absolutely brutal every year.
Nobody is expecting it every year, but more sustainability of competing at a high level, should be the goal.

You are right about R4 being a grind. There’s absolutely zero competition for Eds and Springfield in R1 & R2. Mentor & Ignatius used to be tough outs for Eds but they’ve struggled the last few years. Springfield is only in R2 because there were no teams out there that could even compete with the R1 winner.

Last edited:
Nobody is expecting it every year, but more sustainability of competing at a high level, should be the goal.

You are right about R4 being a grind. There’s absolutely zero competition for Eds and Springfield in R1 & R2. Mentor & Ignatius used to be tough outs for Eds but they’ve struggled the last few years. Springfield is only in R2 because there were no teams out there that could even compete with the R1 winner.
What is a high level to you? Winning multiple playoff games perennially? They already do that.

Elder faithful truly have no idea how spoiled they are with their continued level of success.

What is a high level to you? Winning multiple playoff games perennially? They already do that.

Elder faithful truly have no idea how spoiled they are with their continued level of success.
Being a legitimate contender for a state title every 3-5 years. That means not being totally outclassed when they play title contending teams. It’s not a coaching issue. They’ve actually really beefed up the staff with Fortkamp & Roden, it’s a talent issue.

And I don’t think Elder is spoiled at all. Despite loving to play the underdog card, they do have more resources than the majority of R4 schools. The Pit is a major part of the school’s identity and by extension, so is the Football program

Being a legitimate contender for a state title every 3-5 years. That means not being totally outclassed when they play title contending teams. It’s not a coaching issue. They’ve actually really beefed up the staff with Fortkamp & Roden, it’s a talent issue.

And I don’t think Elder is spoiled at all. Despite loving to play the underdog card, they do have more resources than the majority of R4 schools. The Pit is a major part of the school’s identity and by extension, so is the Football program
Being a legit contender for a state title every 3-5 years is completely unrealistic for any team in R4.

No, you don’t. West & Moe are both legitimate contenders for State, but they both obviously can’t win R4.
I am completely convinced you dont have any real idea what you write 95% of the time, or simply don't care because you just want to pick a fight.
There are 8 teams left in Ohio D1, not all 8 are legit contenders. Whoever loses the R4 final is obviously not a legit contender. Webster's defines contender as someone who competes for a championship. If they are a legit state contender, they are in the title game.

Again, these are your own words.

Omar is a clown! He continually bashes coaches and high school student athletes. He offers nothing but negativity. He can give zero , absolutely zero things that are positive to anything. This is High School sports not anything more than that!

Elder is consistently seen as a top 10 program in the state. Thats nothing to sneeze at. Fan support, facilities, coaching, talent, consistency all put them in that category.

I would think if you took at state wide poll most coaches and ad's would agree with this.

Look at all the resourses and kids that X has to choose from and they sucked this yr, under 500.

Look at all the talent X had last yr and they still couldn't win state. It's not easy to get thru region 4, and then many yrs you have to beat Ed's or Iggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.