Region 17 Semifinal: #4 Garfield (12-0) vs. #1 Kirtland (11-0)

Kirtland4580

One of three matchups this week between unbeaten teams. Region 17 is stacked with FOUR undefeated squads remaining, as many anticipated would be the case.

Some outside the region (and even in the region) might look past Garfield & push for a South Range-Kirtland mega matchup in the regional final, but that is what the G-Men have thrived on all season.

Garfield has one of the top rushers in the state and return a couple players from injury, but one thing that stands out to me is how effective their passing stats are according to MaxPreps. They had some close calls this season, but they are still unbeaten, so it obviously means they can answer the call when adversity strikes.

Kirtland has had some injuries over the last few weeks, but they haven’t missed a beat. Now, their kicker got hurt in the regional soccer game and may not be available for the rest of the playoffs; so there’s a potential weak spot. And I might as well call out the elephant in the room with the 52-game winning streak that everyone wants to bring to an end…

Both teams haven’t lost yet for a reason; they execute their smashmouth play style on both sides of the ball very very well. Cue the black & white film footage, cue the NFL Films music, get the ice packs ready. Stack-I/Double Wing vs. Heavy set offense. I’m expecting a four quarter battle on Saturday. Good luck to both sides!

Garfield is very similar to South Range in that they are fundamentally sound and very physical. They run the ball extremely well but will also pass effectively when they need to. This game might be closer than many think. I believe Kirtland wins but they will know they were in a game afterwards.

My general rule of thumb is that if you're planning to win by running the ball on Kirtland, you're in trouble. I know Garfield has jammed the ball against some pretty solid teams -- JFK, LaBrae -- even Brookfield. But, man, I think you need to be able to pass effectively to beat Kirtland.

I'm also a little concerned about the Liberty game and that Rootstown and even Bellaire were pretty close into the 3rd Q. Garfield eventualy won a lot in each, but we're talking Kirtland here. You can blink your eyes and be down 14 and then it's just a slow moving death machine that destroys all hope.

I'll take Kirtland.....41-13. I think it will be slow-moving so it won't get out of hand early, but the outcome is going to feel inevitable.

My general rule of thumb is that if you're planning to win by running the ball on Kirtland, you're in trouble. I know Garfield has jammed the ball against some pretty solid teams -- JFK, LaBrae -- even Brookfield. But, man, I think you need to be able to pass effectively to beat Kirtland.

I'm also a little concerned about the Liberty game and that Rootstown and even Bellaire were pretty close into the 3rd Q. Garfield eventualy won a lot in each, but we're talking Kirtland here. You can blink your eyes and be down 14 and then it's just a slow moving death machine that destroys all hope.

I'll take Kirtland.....41-13. I think it will be slow-moving so it won't get out of hand early, but the outcome is going to feel inevitable.
Agree. Kirtland big. 21+

Good luck G-Men! That Demma kid is a beast. Had both his mom and dad when I was at Crestwood. Great family...best of luck from a former principal now in WILDCAT country!!

Good luck G-Men! That Demma kid is a beast. Had both his mom and dad when I was at Crestwood. Great family...best of luck from a former principal now in WILDCAT country!!
well that means you were my principal as well! So many of us that went to Crestwood back then now have kids that go/went to Garfield....and I am thankful for it. The Crestwood of those days is long gone.

well that means you were my principal as well! So many of us that went to Crestwood back then now have kids that go/went to Garfield....and I am thankful for it. The Crestwood of those days is long gone.
They sure are. I'm heartbroken about what has happened to a once great school district I was part of for my entire 35+ years in education. Starting at old Mantua Center as teacher then to middle school as teacher and eventually assistant principal then to Hiram and Mantua Center as shared principal then to Mantua Center full time principal eventually closing the building and finished as 1st principal of new Crestwood Primary school. I know many of my former students have pulled their children out and moved to Garfield which is a plus for them. You would think those making decisions at Crestwood would have awaken to what is going on by now. From Mogadore alumnus and Crestwood retiree..GO G-Men!

I agree with your score. Garfield is a good DIV 5 team but look who they have played! JFK is a very good DIV VI team, LaBrae and Brookfield... This could get ugly quickly!

The G-Men run an offense that is hard for many defenses to figure out, but if the Hornets stop the running game, it will be a long night for the G-Men. Good Luck to both teams. (y) I hope it's an injury free game that both teams will remember in future years.

Stack I vs Single Wing…inject this game into my veins, but don’t take away the South Range Kirtland matchup we are all looking forward to

Running clock by the middle of the third quarter. Kirtland winning Division 5 is a formality. Kirtland would have to go up three divisions to find a team that would challenge them. Kirtland would win the state title in Divisions 3 through 7.

I think being one dimensional, whether it's a power running team or a spread team that throws every single down, makes it very difficult to beat a perennial state championship-caliber team like Kirtland or MSML, St. Edward, St. X, etc. It seems to me that those type of teams are almost always good enough defensively to take away what their opponents do best, or at least limit them to where their opponent plays hell trying to beat them. They make you beat them with your second or third option. If you do God bless you. They should tip their hat to you and wish you good luck going forward.

To me the question then becomes can the G-Men sustain enough offense, no matter what they run, to beat the Hornets. Personally I don't think they can but that's just my opinion and why we play the game.

Good luck to both teams.

Running clock by the middle of the third quarter. Kirtland winning Division 5 is a formality. Kirtland would have to go up three divisions to find a team that would challenge them. Kirtland would win the state title in Divisions 3 through 7.
Kirtland wouldn't beat Chardon or a few other teams in D-III like Dover and Aurora, and Canfield if they play like they played against Fitch. They also may lose to the top 2-3 teams in D-IV as well. And South Range might have a chance this year, they were the only team to play them close last year.

Running clock by the middle of the third quarter. Kirtland winning Division 5 is a formality. Kirtland would have to go up three divisions to find a team that would challenge them. Kirtland would win the state title in Divisions 3 thro
Howdy neighbor! That last sentence is ridiculous. However, Tiger continues to dominate with below average athletes. Hats off to him and that program. Looking forward to seeing them win another D5 Title. But don’t get it twisted, big brother would spank them!

First off to say below average athletes is crazy. These kids work there tails off. That is the reason they are so good. This year Kirtland even had the first Two Freshman ever to make it into there famous 900lb club and one of them is the youngest kid in the high school I think he was 13 when he did it
Kirtland has tried to schedule Chardon in the regular season and Chardon has declined. As do many bigger schools. Guarantee it would be a great game.

All the kids that play for Kirtland have played since 1st grade other then kids that move in here (probably 95%). These kids grow up in the same youth league and play Mentor, Chardon, Mayfield, Riverside, Kenston, Willoughby and Eastlake.

Maybe for 1 week. Kirtland would lose players after 3 weeks of playing this competition. Great D5 school though. Ten you have D2 and D1. It would take a toll to play a D1-2-3 playoff scheduled for Kirtland.

First off to say below average athletes is crazy. These kids work there tails off. That is the reason they are so good. This year Kirtland even had the first Two Freshman ever to make it into there famous 900lb club and one of them is the youngest kid in the high school I think he was 13 when he did it
Kirtland has tried to schedule Chardon in the regular season and Chardon has declined. As do many bigger schools. Guarantee it would be a great game.

All the kids that play for Kirtland have played since 1st grade other then kids that move in here (probably 95%). These kids grow up in the same youth league and play Mentor, Chardon, Mayfield, Riverside, Kenston, Willoughby and Eastlake.
I’m speaking of this year. Myself and many of your former players agree that this years talent is subpar at best. That’s why there are 2 Frosh playing. Not because those Frosh are stellar athletes. Kudos to them and the experience gained. I am very familiar with everything you stated and I agree with you. Give Tiger any of those other schools you mentioned and they win a State Championship too. That’s my point! Be extremely happy with the program you have in Kirtland. I’m sure you are.

I think South Range is going to have something to say about that this year. Kirtland underestimates the Raiders at their own peril.

Last edited:
Kirtland isn't underestimating anyone. Tiger Laverde has a very good relationship with Yaegley and knows what he is up against come week 14.
It's probably best to not put the cart before the horse and save this discussion for when that game actually happens (if it happens), but this is 100% correct. Kirtland is very aware of what SR has and there's no earthly way that staff thinks it's gonna be easy. They're too good and know too much about football to think that.

But, again, this can wait.

It's probably best to not put the cart before the horse and save this discussion for when that game actually happens (if it happens), but this is 100% correct. Kirtland is very aware of what SR has and there's no earthly way that staff thinks it's gonna be easy. They're too good and know too much about football to think that.

But, again, this can wait.
Correct. Given that every team left in the region is undefeated, I find it hard to believe any one team would look past this week’s games.

WE, on this forum, however, can look past if we want, but I choose not to.

Garfield has out-physicaled each team they played this season, and Kirtland has done much of the same, so I expect this week to be Kirtland’s second four-quarter game of the season (Perry in Week 7).

For those that are uninitiated to Stitz, please note he is not a fan/parent/remotely a part of Kirtland’s program. He is simply a “rabble rouser” who likes to get folks riled up. The only connection to any athletic program anyone has ever drawn to him was he was once in CCC’s marching band (and supposedly never returned his uniform).

I can tell you with ABSOLUTE certainty that Kirtland has NEVER tried to schedule Chardon, and Chardon’s declined. That is a ? false statement.

I can tell you with ABSOLUTE certainty that Kirtland has NEVER tried to schedule Chardon, and Chardon’s declined. That is a ? false statement.
BTW - Chardon is open Weeks 1, 2, 3, and 7 right now. If Kirtland is open on either of those dates tell your AD to reach out to Chardon’s AD. I guarantee it gets scheduled if Kirtland wants it.

I would have to agree with that. Kirtland is not nearly an aggressive scheduler by any means, so I don’t think Kirtland would offer something like that. If anything, it would have to be the other way around with Chardon trying to schedule Kirtland.

By the way, the Hilltoppers are looking great again this year. A couple close games in the early stretch against Ursuline, Glenville, & Riverside, but you guys are really putting the pedal to the metal. That defense is a brick wall.