recruiting

Do any coaches out there send general letters out to all the kids in your school encouraging them to come out for cross country. If so what do you include? Some ideas of ways to persuade kids to give it a try.

When my son was in high school (a small Columbus City high school) getting kids out for XC (and TF) was always a struggle. The coach did a lot of one on one recruiting in the hallways, which isn't always possible if the coach isn't a teacher in the school. He also tried building a relationship with the basketball coach. If you can get any winter sport coaches to help with recruiting it can be a boon. Some basketball and wrestling coaches will encourage the kids not doing anything else in the fall to run cross country. It also doesn't hurt to talk to the football and soccer coaches and see if they are willing to direct kids who might be decent runners but get cut from their sports to the cross country team. I know a couple of times my son and some (of the very few) others wore their team warm ups and were recruiting kids during lunch. Having kids on the team talk about enjoying the team is important. Their team went from 3 when he started up to high of about 14 or 15 kids, before Covid smashed participation.