Recreational Golf- 2022

clarkgriswold

The golf season is off and running so I thought I'd throw our annual golf thread back up on the board again.

Hit 'em straight (or at least less frequently)!

This has been the worst spring in memory, cold, wet............. We played in mid-March, then I didn't touch a golf club until last Thursday. I only played a few holes that day and this past Monday. Both days were a lost cause because of the wet conditions. Cart path only is not the way to go. I finally got out again yesterday, at Mayfair, then Sleepy Hollow this morning. I will be a Sleepy the next three days, then all next week.

This has been the worst spring in memory, cold, wet............. We played in mid-March, then I didn't touch a golf club until last Thursday. I only played a few holes that day and this past Monday. Both days were a lost cause because of the wet conditions. Cart path only is not the way to go. I finally got out again yesterday, at Mayfair, then Sleepy Hollow this morning. I will be a Sleepy the next three days, then all next week.
Glad to hear you're getting back on track. You just can't let Sleepy go can you? LOL.

I played in SC a couple of times and have played 3 times up here. Haven't been able to play consistently enough between the iffy weather and trying to rest my back, but hope that comes around as the weather improves.

Moved over to the new extra large grips and I am having trouble adjusting. I know its a trend and as an aging golfer is supposed to help me buy so far not so good.

Maybe I have mentioned this but I am really struggling with all the guys playing tunes while on the course. I am getting ready to hit yesterday and while addressing the ball I start to hear the opening riff of Sweet Home Alabama coming to me and when Ronnie says turn it up guess what happens, some a-hole in the cart turns it up even louder. Give him the death stair and he just ignores me and gets ready to hit is errant shot. All round long this guy pops up in our fairway because his game stinks. It use to be on a golf course I could get away from the distractions in life, now between notifications dinging on mobile phones and guys blasting tunes it is getting out of hand.

Amen Auggie. If you want to hear music on the course it means YOU want to hear it, not anyone else. When I am playing alone, I will sometimes take a small bluetooth speaker to listen to something but I play it just loud enough to hear in and next to the cart. I am also fed up with numbnuts that expect me to wait for them playing a different hole out of my fairway. I always saw it as a walk of shame to enter into another fairway but these numbskulls have no apprehension in walking in and playing while you wait on the tee.

Amen Auggie. If you want to hear music on the course it means YOU want to hear it, not anyone else. When I am playing alone, I will sometimes take a small bluetooth speaker to listen to something but I play it just loud enough to hear in and next to the cart. I am also fed up with numbnuts that expect me to wait for them playing a different hole out of my fairway. I always saw it as a walk of shame to enter into another fairway but these numbskulls have no apprehension in walking in and playing while you wait on the tee.

ITA on both your comments (and Auggie's as well). I've shanked my share of shots into other fairways, but I've always waited for players on that hole to be done with their shots before running over to hit my shot.

Haven't had a chance to dig the clubs out of the basement yet, between crappy weather and spring club soccer games (plus refereeing games now too).

Had a chance to play a quick 9 early this morning. 8:00 a.m., the only guy on my nine, 65-70 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, course in prime condition...it doesn't get better than that.

Had a chance to play a quick 9 early this morning. 8:00 a.m., the only guy on my nine, 65-70 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, course in prime condition...it doesn't get better than that.
Actually at this time of year I like twilight golf, you can go well past 8:00 PM. I caddied at a country club and the guy would let us play after 7, we would just crank through as many holes as possible usually finishing with a sliver of light left in the sky after 9:00. Usually the issue in the AM is that is when the grounds crew is doing their work, hate the sound of weed whippers revving up around a green complex.

Actually at this time of year I like twilight golf, you can go well past 8:00 PM. I caddied at a country club and the guy would let us play after 7, we would just crank through as many holes as possible usually finishing with a sliver of light left in the sky after 9:00. Usually the issue in the AM is that is when the grounds crew is doing their work, hate the sound of weed whippers revving up around a green complex.

My son worked as a cart attendant at a country club this past summer and when he was on the afternoon shift, he would always hate when a member would show up late for a quick round. It would mean standing around waiting for that last round before they could finish putting away everything.

That's my occasional Sunday night routine. Takes me back to practicing with my dad.

Music on the course also bothers me. Really! You need to be entertained by music while you're golfing?

That being said, I played Tuesday-Friday, and still haven't found my game. It will come.

My son worked as a cart attendant at a country club this past summer and when he was on the afternoon shift, he would always hate when a member would show up late for a quick round. It would mean standing around waiting for that last round before they could finish putting away everything.
if he is paid by the hour.... that means more money... i would think in most cases , kids would enjoy getting MORE money

Music on the course also bothers me. Really! You need to be entertained by music while you're golfing?

That being said, I played Tuesday-Friday, and still haven't found my game. It will come.
love the music, play it loud enough , so that you can hear it 20 feet or so from the cart..... a little Willie Nelson or Van Morrison never hurt anyone

if he is paid by the hour.... that means more money... i would think in most cases , kids would enjoy getting MORE money

He was paid hourly, but also get tips - the tips were a pretty big portion of his take home pay and if no golfers are on the course, he can't make tips.

More importantly, he's someone who wants to be busy - the standing around for an hour or two was what he hated the most.

He was paid hourly, but also get tips - the tips were a pretty big portion of his take home pay and if no golfers are on the course, he can't make tips.

More importantly, he's someone who wants to be busy - the standing around for an hour or two was what he hated the most.
carts can be cleaned. Bag room is usually right there, so club faces can be cleaned. Stay busy, show the hustle!

carts can be cleaned. Bag room is usually right there, so club faces can be cleaned. Stay busy, show the hustle!
That kind of stuff doesn't take as much time as it might seem. Usually the kids get that stuff done by 730 and when a golfer is out there until 845 they get pretty restless unless they know it's a good tipper.

When I worked at a Country Club the back room & cart gigs were for caddy master favorites and smaller caddies who had trouble double bagging. Much easier work then caddying but at a hourly salary structure you got hit with taxes, caddies were and always paid in cash. I remember my first non-caddy job, when I got paid I had no clue what FICA was.

That kind of stuff doesn't take as much time as it might seem. Usually the kids get that stuff done by 730 and when a golfer is out there until 845 they get pretty restless unless they know it's a good tipper.

Pretty much - he would say they normally would have all the carts cleaned and clubs put away, the driving range picked and set to go the next morning and they'd still have to stand around waiting for that last group or two.

He preferred the morning shift most days - while it sucked to get up at 5am, he said the day flew by once he got there. The first couple hours were spent getting all the carts out and loaded up and all the early groups out. They had a small lag when they could grab a bite to eat in the clubhouse, then they would be set for the groups to finish up - before he knew it, it was 2pm and he was done for the day. :)

When I worked at a Country Club the back room & cart gigs were for caddy master favorites and smaller caddies who had trouble double bagging. Much easier work then caddying but at a hourly salary structure you got hit with taxes, caddies were and always paid in cash. I remember my first non-caddy job, when I got paid I had no clue what FICA was.
some clubs have been hit with fines and whatnot and now "require" reporting of cash tips.

I just went out for the first time this season last night and I have to say I could really feel my age when I was swinging. I started to hurt in places I didn't even know I could hurt. By the time my round was over I was covered in enough CBD oil to get a life sentence in most states. Any other tips for an aging golfer?

I just went out for the first time this season last night and I have to say I could really feel my age when I was swinging. I started to hurt in places I didn't even know I could hurt. By the time my round was over I was covered in enough CBD oil to get a life sentence in most states. Any other tips for an aging golfer?
Couldn't even finish my round, lost all my balls after the first 12, had to resort to the lucky noodle ball, lost that one the very next swing. It was a long walk back to the clubhouse

Some other tips I have used to help with the aches and pains of age and trying to play golf:

• Warm up before playing, this includes stretching not only your upper body but your lower body. I also carry whiffle balls in my bag if I cannot make it to the range before a round, gets me swinging a little before the round starts.
  • If at all possible walk. I still carry my bag but if needed get a pull cart. Walking keeps you loose so when you swing its not done from a totally cold resting point when you take a cart, especially when there is a chill in the air.
  • Get fitted for the right equipment. At some point those stiff shafts become a liability, it is worth the $s to have a pro help you get a club that not only helps with the score but also makes it easier to swing.

Anyone else watch the PGA Championship? Felt more like a US Open, course was crazy tough in spots with the wind causing havoc; all these guys looking for a 1st major choked under the pressure of the situation. Dudes were shanking shots and Pereira's drive on 18 was one of the ugliest I have seen by a tour player in a major but Zalatoris hitting an approach shot of of a cart path was a 1st for me in a PGA event.

Will-Zalatoris-cart-path.jpg

Caught the last 6 holes or so (and the playoff) and I agree, that drive by Pereira on 18 was as bad of a swing as I've seen from a pro in a long time. Not sure what he was trying to do with that drive but it was painful to watch him implode on that hole. Gotta give him props for doing an interview right after that round, though.

I like the cumulative 3 hole playoff that the PGA does. It just feels like a better way to do it than sudden death, but doesn't require a whole additional day like the US Open.

Anyone else watch the PGA Championship? Felt more like a US Open, course was crazy tough in spots with the wind causing havoc; all these guys looking for a 1st major choked under the pressure of the situation. Dudes were shanking shots and Pereira's drive on 18 was one of the ugliest I have seen by a tour player in a major but Zalatoris hitting an approach shot of of a cart path was a 1st for me in a PGA event.

Will-Zalatoris-cart-path.jpg
Could not believe they made him drop there.

Periera choked. Caddy has to tell him to not be so aggressive there right? Then he finishes and they stick a camera in his face and add insult to injury by asking what happened?

Thomas shot darts at the end. Was great watching playoff golf at a major.

BTW the Happy Gilmore crowd was out in full force. Oklahoma. :ROFLMAO: