R4 Regional Final Centerville vs Fairfield

ELKSONE

#EPND
Rematch from last year. Looks like Elder took Fairfield to school with their second half play against Centerville, hence showing them how to shut down Cupps. Will it be enough to beat the Elks on Saturday in front of what will largely be a home crowd advantage for Centerville playing at University of Dayton?
I expect another close game.

Elks are considerably more physical than last year...They run a delay flex offense better than anyone. They were taking up to a minute off the clock in each possession late in last nights game vs Elder. Truly one of this area's best ballclubs in recent years. Should have zero problems advancing to their backyard in Dayton for the F4. Question is will this be the last we see of the legendary Brook Cupps in High School? Im guessing yes.

Elks are considerably more physical than last year...They run a delay flex offense better than anyone. They were taking up to a minute off the clock in each possession late in last nights game vs Elder. Truly one of this area's best ballclubs in recent years. Should have zero problems advancing to their backyard in Dayton for the F4. Question is will this be the last we see of the legendary Brook Cupps in High School? Im guessing yes.
Last night was my 1st time seeing Cville in person this season. My quick observation is they aren't as good as last year. If Cupps would have been anything less than amazing last night they lose that game. I think the FF guards can do enough to bother Cupps and they have the size to match up with the bigs of Centerville. If I had to come up with a line for the game it would be Centerville -3...

Last edited:
Powell is going to need to take some pressure off Cupps. He only had 4 points last night if you don't count his meaningless dunk last night. If he plays like he did last night against Fairfield, they lose.

Last edited:
Powell is going to need to take some pressure off Cupps. He only had 4 points last night if you don't count his meaningless dunk last night. If he plays like he did last night against Fairfield, they lose.
He won't...

Last edited:
He won't...
He won't take pressure off Cupps or he won't score as few points as last night? Because I've watched the film and he made other plays without scoring and contributed to the win. But yes I do agree that it usually takes more than one of the main scorers doing well to win.

He won't take pressure off Cupps or he won't score as few points as last night? Because I've watched the film and he made other plays without scoring and contributed to the win. But yes I do agree that it usually takes more than one of the main scorers doing well to win.
He'll have a better game offensively. But this will be a tough game, either way.

He had an off shooting night. I'm assuming he's one of the Elks 3 point shooters? He got a lot of good looks, especially in the 1st half. Just couldn't hit them

This Powell kid you post about has already hit 189 treys in his HS career...6'6" now thats stretching a defense...
I cant imagine the intensity of the FF v Princeton on Wednesday will be matched in the Final. I havent played in 10 years and I still needed a shower after that titanic struggle. If the Elks shoot it well I think they go back to the GEM city.

I’m trying to think what type of game Fairfield will need to play to win and I’m struggling. If they try to make this an uptempo, run-and-gun game, Centerville is better and will just outscore them. On the flipside, I don’t think they’re comfortable playing at a slow pace. They are 0-3 scoring below 50 points and 23-1 scoring above 50 (only loss was 56-53 to Richmond Heights, where they blew a 4th quarter lead and only shot 30% for the game). My guess is they’ll selectively extend full court and try to make this game a little frenetic at time. Turnovers and runouts could help makeup some of their efficiency deficit compared to Centerville. They have to win the turnover battle and then I think they have to outrebound Centerville by about +10 (Fairfield is a very good rebounding team at +6.4 rpg on the year) in order to win.

On another note, of the final 8 teams, I think 4 out of the 5 best teams are on the South end of the bracket. Hoban is the only team up North that is close to the level of Centerville, Pickerington Central, Olentangy Orange, and Fairfield.

On another note, of the final 8 teams, I think 4 out of the 5 best teams are on the South end of the bracket. Hoban is the only team up North that is close to the level of Centerville, Pickerington Central, Olentangy Orange, and Fairfield.
Fortunately you don't have to beat all 6 of them...just 3 .:)

Fortunately you don't have to beat all 6 of them...just 3 .:)
Yes, but it means the hard road for the Region 3 or 4 teams. I would be surprised if Hoban isn’t in the final (and I wrote that before realizing the Region 2 final was tonight, where they comfortably beat Walsh Jesuit).

Yes, but it means the hard road for the Region 3 or 4 teams. I would be surprised if Hoban isn’t in the final (and I wrote that before realizing the Region 2 final was tonight, where they comfortably beat Walsh Jesuit).
Agreed. I see Hoban in the finals.

Officiating has been horrendous so far…

…too many bailout foul calls on drives where defenders are straight up. Let players play defense.

And then they go straight to calling a double technical. Players have been talking all game. Step in and get control of that first. Calling a technical in that situation is really bad officiating.

Officiating has been horrendous so far…

…too many bailout foul calls on drives where defenders are straight up. Let players play defense.
I will say something nice about the officials. They have been consistent around the basket. More fouls than I would like to see, but they’re consistent.

With Centerville in the bonus, Fairfield can’t pressure Cupps like that. That’s an automatic 2 points when they call the hand check.

Centerville is going to pull this out. Blown opportunity for Fairfield. Leading 50-48 with about 4:00 to go, Fairfield ran 5 straight poor offensive possessions, and at the end of it, they trailed 56-50 and Centerville went into stall ball mode. You’re not beating Centerville if they can get to stall ball with a lead.

Centerville is going to pull this out. Blown opportunity for Fairfield. Leading 50-48 with about 4:00 to go, Fairfield ran 5 straight poor offensive possessions, and at the end of it, they trailed 56-50 and Centerville went into stall ball mode. You’re not beating Centerville if they can get to stall ball with a lead.
Bingo… Fairfield had some terrible possessions late. And they had 5 timeouts at the time I believe. I don’t think they used a timeout until very late.

Cupps getting the star treatment. Clear block for what should have been his 2nd foul and they call a charge.
It would help if players would learn to pull up and hit a jumper, but most of them have a tendency to take it right into the defender, giving the ref an opportunity to call the charge. It happens constantly and it is something I wish I'd see less of.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great game. Fairfield is very good. I knew they'd give the Elks all they wanted. Congrats Elks. Leave it all on the court next week at State.

Last edited: