Question for the X-C knowledgeable

JAVMAN83

Is it typical for incoming college freshmen competing in X-C to begin classes during the summer session?

Is it typical for incoming college freshmen competing in X-C to begin classes during the summer session?
Typical? Not to me. To me, "typical" is work to increase weekly mileage from mid-June to early August (assuming a state meet qualifier and some time off after the state meet), work a summer job to have spending money for the school year, and then report for team camp a week or two before classes start.

Maybe we'll see more kids going the route of early enrollment in college in the future with the thought of graduating earlier and using any remaining eligibility as a graduate transfer.

Of course, we've already seen a small increase in the number of football players who graduate HS by mid-January and then enroll in college a few weeks later to start working out with their college team, go through spring practice, and try to position themselves to earn more playing time as true freshmen. It's not the norm yet, but we're far less surprised when we hear of kids going that route.

Not so much XC, but some schools will have athletes start in summer school. This way, their HS academic stats (GPA, test scores, # of AP classes) won’t be included with the school’s fall incoming class stats thus helping with school academic rankings.

Our outbound seniors have generally been given summer training plans by their college coaches, run with others around town and report to their college teams a week or two before the general school population.

Thank you for all the feedback. Harking back to my collegiate days, I didn't remember any of my teammates taking classes during the summer prior to fall classes, but I didn't know if things had changed since then. But that was almost 4 decades ago.

Ten years ago the push seemed to be to get every student to go to college. I think common sense is beginning to prevail with most people realizing that college isn't for everyone and simply isn't worth the debt many students were incurring. With credits many students are now earning while in high school and with summer classes, it wouldn't surprise me that many students are finishing bachelors degrees in 2-3 years and then finishing masters degrees within 4 years.

To answer the original question, I haven't had any of my former athletes take summer classes before their first year in college, but it wouldn't surprise me if that becomes a more common occurence.