Programs That Need A Change

No. CCHS must not be familiar with Calvert at all. They went 8-2 this year and they’ve been a perennial playoff team for decades. Their girls sports are pretty dang good too
I admit I was generalizing. No disrespect was intended. I lumped Calvert in with Fremont St Joes, Sandusky St Marys, and Fostoria St Wendelen. Many smaller D7 Catholic high schools have issues in sports and in enrollment. Im glad to hear Calvert is strong.

Whether too good, too bad, location, etc. has become an issue, which programs across the state need a change. Examples: Could Perry and Kirtland upgrade out of the CVC, does Louisville belong in the Fed, etc.
Can a culture change be included? Because that what I believe needs to be done here in St. Henry. We are getting a new HC this offseason, and I believe that hiring a coach with a plan for a culture in the program is more important right now then X's and O's. We are smack dab between two of the best programs, and football cultures, in the State with Coldwater and Marion Local. I haven't been in the program for many years, but it seems to me to be plagued by the same issues that were around from when I was. In my opinion it seems like we think just because were St. Henry have 6 state titles and all this other crap that we just deserve to be good. We have rested on our laurels for 15 years now, waiting for just 1 really good class to bring us back to where we need to be. Can 1 great class jumpstart a program, absolutely. But our reliance on 1 senior class can be a detriment as well. Our neighbors to the north and east do not rely on this model, they prepare every grade and player the same because they know how impactful that can be to a team.

To be honest thought I do no really think the issue is with the coach from the culture aspect, but from the community as a whole, we have gotten to full of ourselves for no reason.

Can a culture change be included? Because that what I believe needs to be done here in St. Henry. We are getting a new HC this offseason, and I believe that hiring a coach with a plan for a culture in the program is more important right now then X's and O's. We are smack dab between two of the best programs, and football cultures, in the State with Coldwater and Marion Local. I haven't been in the program for many years, but it seems to me to be plagued by the same issues that were around from when I was. In my opinion it seems like we think just because were St. Henry have 6 state titles and all this other crap that we just deserve to be good. We have rested on our laurels for 15 years now, waiting for just 1 really good class to bring us back to where we need to be. Can 1 great class jumpstart a program, absolutely. But our reliance on 1 senior class can be a detriment as well. Our neighbors to the north and east do not rely on this model, they prepare every grade and player the same because they know how impactful that can be to a team.

To be honest thought I do no really think the issue is with the coach from the culture aspect, but from the community as a whole, we have gotten to full of ourselves for no reason.
The culture change that Goodwin brought to Marion Local was how to block and tackle along with being physical.

Yeah, next season is crucial. I can take the 3-7/4-6 seasons to an extent, even though I would love winning seasons every year, but this past season was just so hard to watch. There needs to be major improvements for Coventry football in 2024. I don’t expect a winning record but they can’t go 1-9 again.
I dont know that those improvements will happen with the current coach. What I saw last season wasn't just a lack of talent. It was lack of discipline, bad penalties, bad turnovers, oh heck, the comets just simply not caring. Coventry was just continually shooting themselves in the foot. That is coaching.

Whether too good, too bad, location, etc. has become an issue, which programs across the state need a change. Examples: Could Perry and Kirtland upgrade out of the CVC, does Louisville belong in the Fed, etc.
Why would they want to leave the CVC? Screw over all other sports besides football?

also Perry and kirtland are small
Schools, what bi school conference is going to take them? Not a lot of 1st lvl pts for them. Perry and Kirtland could clean up by beating upper teams but those big teams wont get much out of it.

Calvert, Lima Central Catholic, and I'd even say Delphos St. John's (who would be good, if they weren't in the MAC... hint hint..) all have fought the trends of other small catholic schools in the state. Even though they all probably have smaller enrollment than they did 20 years ago, their communities support their sports programs and they put together solid teams
Don't forget St. Paul, who already announced new Head Coach to replace Legend Livengood

I dont know that those improvements will happen with the current coach. What I saw last season wasn't just a lack of talent. It was lack of discipline, bad penalties, bad turnovers, oh heck, the comets just simply not caring. Coventry was just continually shooting themselves in the foot. That is coaching.
I agree. All of that needs to be fixed in 2024. I believe that Rich Smith will end up working out as the head coach. I’ll change my mind on that if the 2024 season is another disaster but if things in all areas improve I will feel confident with him as the head coach. Unless kids quit or transfer, Coventry is set to lose three starters. I will say this though: if Coventry goes 1-9 or even 0-10 in 2024, I think the administration will clean house.

Last edited:
I want to see Troy, Piqua, and Tipp in the GWOC where they belong. I realize Tipp is D3 and some GWOC schools are 2 and 3 times bigger. But they excel in every sport. The MVL league is trash and there’s no reason to keep beating up poor opponents every year in every sport. The whole league needs to he broken up. I doubt it happens though. Troy likes being big fish in little pond. But it doesn’t make sense to me. Let them go back on the GWOC. Same for Piqua and Tipp. Why continue beating up on West Carrollton, Stebbins, Greenville, Fairborn etc ?
Troy, Piqua and Tipp are right were they belong. You guaranteed 4 to 5 loses every year in the GWOC. Then in your down years your going to win 1 or 2 games.

Football is what drives everything. Tipp's not winning in all sports in the GWOC. Don't let me get started on Piqua's other sports. What other sport is Troy competing in? Every year I here this about the MVL. Getting beat up in the GWOC isn't going to get you ready for the Cincinnati D2 teams. The ECC and Lasalle will win Region 8 for the foreseeable future.