Programs That Need A Change

OH-Fan-2015

Whether too good, too bad, location, etc. has become an issue, which programs across the state need a change. Examples: Could Perry and Kirtland upgrade out of the CVC, does Louisville belong in the Fed, etc.

I'd love to see Buckeye and Cloverleaf go to the same conference, but the problem is there are no schools even remotely the same size anywhere near them.

Parkway needs to stop worrying about playing county teams and join the NWC. Only way they'll ever compete in football.
They need a come to Jesus meeting. I came upon this realization yesterday. Parkway needs to look at Paulding as an example. From 1990-2022, parkway and Paulding football were almost identical. Both had 3 winning seasons and both had 1 .500 season. Parkway won 76 games in that time frame and Paulding won 72. Paulding joined the GMC in 2021, though had two bad seasons to start, they finished 2023 with a 6-4 record. Other Paulding sports have excelled as well in the GMC. The one difference is the geographic proximity of Paulding to other GMC schools. Parkway to Grove, Bluffton, or AE aren’t great, but going to Spencerville, Crestview, Lincolnview, or Delphos isn’t bad.

Parkway needs to stop worrying about playing county teams and join the NWC. Only way they'll ever compete in football.
100%. Unfortunately the board made their own bed last fall when the subject was broached. They took the easy way out and stayed the course. Now, we all have to sit back and watch what happens organically, which will be fewer and fewer numbers & uncompetitive roster(s). Another dynamic is that the parents and supports of the girls programs don't see the need to move conferences when they're coming off of a State semi appearance in softball and a MAC championship in basketball. They don't care about the football program. See what I mean about making the easy decision by the board? The only hope for the program honestly, is that the MAC kick them out & that won't happen until the whole program folds up, which may not be impossible in the next 2-3 years.

100%. Unfortunately the board made their own bed last fall when the subject was broached. They took the easy way out and stayed the course. Now, we all have to sit back and watch what happens organically, which will be fewer and fewer numbers & uncompetitive roster(s). Another dynamic is that the parents and supports of the girls programs don't see the need to move conferences when they're coming off of a State semi appearance in softball and a MAC championship in basketball. They don't care about the football program. See what I mean about making the easy decision by the board? The only hope for the program honestly, is that the MAC kick them out & that won't happen until the whole program folds up, which may not be impossible in the next 2-3 years.
MAC championship in girls basketball and a sectional loss to Wayne Trace…but hey at least they won the MAC I guess.

Here's an idea and it's too bad no one would EVER go for it because it would benefit all parties.

Since the NWC with Lincolnview non football has 8 all sports and already has a football only member, let Parkway stay in the MAC for the majority of sports (as stated, they compete fine in a few, and the local trips make sense in winter sports and those with a bunch of games.)

From there, do a straight trade. Parkway football for Fort Loramie football. Crestview, Jefferson, and Spencerville get a partner close to home. Parkway gets into a league they can compete in possibly. Loramie can be like Anna and stay in the SCAL while playing the likes of Anna, Minster, and New Bremen. It actually sounds like everyone would win.

Which of course means it would never happen.

Its been discussed on previous thread, but Sebring needs to merge with West Branch. Its absolutely insane that a school with a scant student body is a 6 minute drive from a stable school system

1. I think Cleveland Glenville should become independent and leave the Senate League. They are way too good for that league and playing the other teams doesn't help them. Recruiting, vouchers, etc. aside, Glenville would be better served playing other programs of equal caliber on a regular basis and not just in out of conference.
  2. Toledo Public Schools need to consolidate some of their schools. I would say Woodward and Scott should merge and maybe Waite too.
  3. The Toledo City League, Cleveland Senate League, and Akron City Series should schedule more games in tandem. All 3 leagues are pretty weak (with the exception of Glenville). It makes sense to have them play each other more.
  4. OHSAA should create Division 8 for 8 Man football. In NW Ohio, there are already 6 teams: Stryker, Holgate, Toledo Christian, Sandusky St. Mary's CC, Fremont St. Joseph's CC, and Danbury Lakeside. Vanlue should definitely drop to 8 man. Oregon Cardinal Stritch, Tiffin Calvert and a handful of others should consider it as well.

Here's an idea and it's too bad no one would EVER go for it because it would benefit all parties.

Since the NWC with Lincolnview non football has 8 all sports and already has a football only member, let Parkway stay in the MAC for the majority of sports (as stated, they compete fine in a few, and the local trips make sense in winter sports and those with a bunch of games.)

From there, do a straight trade. Parkway football for Fort Loramie football. Crestview, Jefferson, and Spencerville get a partner close to home. Parkway gets into a league they can compete in possibly. Loramie can be like Anna and stay in the SCAL while playing the likes of Anna, Minster, and New Bremen. It actually sounds like everyone would win.

If the MAC didn't let Fort Recovery or New Bremen venture to other conferences for football only, they won't let Parkway.

All in or all out was the options given to those schools during their rock bottoms. Even though, Parkway's seems to be worse, the MAC isn't wanting to play the joint custody game.

If possible, Akron Springfield should join the Akron Public Schools just for athletics. Springfield’s football team has had one winning season this century. They have won two games since 2019. They haven’t won a league game since 2019. They would be better off playing Akron North and Akron Ellet every year compared to playing Streetsboro and Woodridge every year.

Akron North needs to play out of conference games they have a chance in.Leetonia, Minerva, Akron Springfield, Some of the Cleveland Senate teams, including John Adam’s, Collinwood, Lincoln West, and any other program that struggles every year needs to be on there instead of Twinsburg or North Canton Hoover in 2024-which is just an idiotic matchup for multiple reasons. Akron North could probably qualify for eight-man football because of low roster numbers, but I don’t think they are near any of the current eight-man schools

Last edited:
  1. I think Cleveland Glenville should become independent and leave the Senate League. They are way too good for that league and playing the other teams doesn't help them. Recruiting, vouchers, etc. aside, Glenville would be better served playing other programs of equal caliber on a regular basis and not just in out of conference.
  2. Toledo Public Schools need to consolidate some of their schools. I would say Woodward and Scott should merge and maybe Waite too.
  3. The Toledo City League, Cleveland Senate League, and Akron City Series should schedule more games in tandem. All 3 leagues are pretty weak (with the exception of Glenville). It makes sense to have them play each other more.
  4. OHSAA should create Division 8 for 8 Man football. In NW Ohio, there are already 6 teams: Stryker, Holgate, Toledo Christian, Sandusky St. Mary's CC, Fremont St. Joseph's CC, and Danbury Lakeside. Vanlue should definitely drop to 8 man. Oregon Cardinal Stritch, Tiffin Calvert and a handful of others should consider it as well.
1 Yes
2 What would be the upside to combining one of the worst teams in D3 to a mediocre D3 squad? On top you'd simply be making Scott a D1 enrollment now. I guess if they were D1 they'd ironically have a better chance of making the playoffs haha. And you can forget about ever consolidating Waite into anything. If anything the eastsiders would insist on the entire other side of the river crossing the bridge to go to their school every day.
3 Agreed. I do think more should be done among the urban conferences when it comes to non conference scheduling. I appreciate the fact that Scott and Columbus East have teamed up the last couple of years to play one another.
4 No real opinion.

1 Yes
2 What would be the upside to combining one of the worst teams in D3 to a mediocre D3 squad? On top you'd simply be making Scott a D1 enrollment now. I guess if they were D1 they'd ironically have a better chance of making the playoffs haha. And you can forget about ever consolidating Waite into anything. If anything the eastsiders would insist on the entire other side of the river crossing the bridge to go to their school every day.
3 Agreed. I do think more should be done among the urban conferences when it comes to non conference scheduling. I appreciate the fact that Scott and Columbus East have teamed up the last couple of years to play one another.
4 No real opinion.
My thoughts on the city league schools are that they are all not needed. I dont know the exact numbers, but Im sure they are vastly under utilized. From a numbers standpoint, TPS probably only needs 4 high schools.

A ton of kids attend their non traditiinal schools. I am not sure how it works it for the regular schools' numbers for sports numbers. Do kids that attend Toledo Technology Academy count for Start or Bowsher or wherever?

If possible, Akron Springfield should join the Akron Public Schools just for athletics. Springfield’s football team has had one winning season this century. They have won two games since 2019. They haven’t won a league game since 2019. They would be better off playing Akron North and Akron Ellet every year compared to playing Streetsboro and Woodridge every year.

Akron North needs to play out of conference games they have a chance in.Leetonia, Minerva, Akron Springfield, Some of the Cleveland Senate teams, including John Adam’s, Collinwood, Lincoln West, and any other program that struggles every year needs to be on there instead of Twinsburg or North Canton Hoover in 2024-which is just an idiotic matchup for multiple reasons. Akron North could probably qualify for eight-man football because of low roster numbers, but I don’t they are near any of the current eight-man schools
I wonder if OOC schedules for inner-city schools are still meant to fill the athletic coffers and requirements of Title IX, or did that ever pertain to prep sports?

Seems Calvert is a decent club overall, do they just struggle number -wise?

I love this idea!

I want to see Troy, Piqua, and Tipp in the GWOC where they belong. I realize Tipp is D3 and some GWOC schools are 2 and 3 times bigger. But they excel in every sport. The MVL league is trash and there’s no reason to keep beating up poor opponents every year in every sport. The whole league needs to he broken up. I doubt it happens though. Troy likes being big fish in little pond. But it doesn’t make sense to me. Let them go back on the GWOC. Same for Piqua and Tipp. Why continue beating up on West Carrollton, Stebbins, Greenville, Fairborn etc ?

Tiffin Calvert had 44 kids on their football roster and went 8-2

I want to see Troy, Piqua, and Tipp in the GWOC where they belong. I realize Tipp is D3 and some GWOC schools are 2 and 3 times bigger. But they excel in every sport. The MVL league is trash and there’s no reason to keep beating up poor opponents every year in every sport. The whole league needs to he broken up. I doubt it happens though. Troy likes being big fish in little pond. But it doesn’t make sense to me. Let them go back on the GWOC. Same for Piqua and Tipp. Why continue beating up on West Carrollton, Stebbins, Greenville, Fairborn etc ?
I’ve always dreamed of Sidney and Greenville to the Western Buckeye League and make that league a north/south split by adding Napoleon and Lima Senior to the north. If only, if only.

Tiffin Calvert had 44 kids on their football roster and went 8-2
I didnt realize Calvert's team was that large. Good for them. In general, many of the very small Catholic high schools are struggling with football numbers. I'm glad they are bucking that trend.

If the MAC didn't let Fort Recovery or New Bremen venture to other conferences for football only, they won't let Parkway.

All in or all out was the options given to those schools during their rock bottoms. Even though, Parkway's seems to be worse, the MAC isn't wanting to play the joint custody game.
Except Anna right?

Yep, I wish this was an each sport thing. ADs would hate it, but it would be best for a lot of programs & kids. Since that conference I suggested won't happen, this is the next best thing.