Predictions for 1st Team All State and POY

Brambleberry

Now that we are more than halfway through the season what are predictions for 1st team All State Players for each division as well as POY?

There are a lot of important matches ahead. This discussion should really open up that final week of the season, May 5. If I had to guess POY in D1 I'd say it's a dead-heat between Pieper from Moeller and the Junior OH from X. Winner will probably be decided with the final match between the two and also if they face off at the Elite this weekend.

I think the D2 1st team all state list will be MUCH better than that of the D1. Players like Fiorenza, Feltz, Randolph, and Storc have the name recognition from last year and are clearly leaders on their respective teams

D1 could put together a solid list as well. There are a few players from the Columbus area like Print that are good players, and from The North there is probably one or 2 players. I think the depth for DII will be much stronger over all the teams.

Ok, this sounds like fun...
I'll take this D2 squad to win against a D1 roster:

S: Randolph, Watterson
OH: Feltz, DeSales
OH: Koelke, Fenwick
RS: Fiorenza, Fenwick
MB: MacManaway, Mt. Vernon
MB: Bottom, Roger Bacon
L: ????

Back ups
OH: Storc, Watterson
????

need to fill in the L spot, and that would be quite a team.
miss anyone?

Someone else know enough of the big 3 rosters to put together the D1 team?

Predictions for 1st team all state and poy

D2 definitely loaded. I would take St Charles or Hoban setter right up there with Watterson setter and an outside from Walsh and Hoban definitely deserve some consideration. North usually gets no love though

Ok, this sounds like fun...
I'll take this D2 squad to win against a D1 roster:

S: Randolph, Watterson
OH: Feltz, DeSales
OH: Koelke, Fenwick
RS: Fiorenza, Fenwick
MB: MacManaway, Mt. Vernon
MB: Bottom, Roger Bacon
L: ????

Back ups
OH: Storc, Watterson
????

need to fill in the L spot, and that would be quite a team.
miss anyone?

Someone else know enough of the big 3 rosters to put together the D1 team?

I honestly don't know much of the D1 schools outside of the GCL and Cincinnati - so this is extremely biased and based purely off of the request for the so called "big 3".

S: Pieper, Moeller
OH: Talbot, St. X
OH: Print, Darby
OPP: Kerlin, Northmont
MB: Spoelker, St. X
MB: Nortmann, Elder
L: Dahm, St. X

Back Ups:
OH: Goldschmidt, LaSalle
OH: Laib, Oak Hills
L: Lee, Darby

NOTE:
Haven't seen Ed's play, so I don't know about Winters at OH.
My picks at middle are a bit underwhelming for me, but could't think of others off hand.

And of course, when it really comes down to it the All State teams are ALL politics, not necessarily the best players in the state.

Perhaps the All-Yappi team would beat the All State team head-to-head ;)

I haven't seen any of the GCL teams really, so I can't make any real comparisons between Winter or other D1 North players to this list, but if anyone will be at the Centerville, they could get a real good look at some players and be able to make the comparisons, or if anyone here already is able to shed some light, that'd be nice. Hoban does have a solid setter and outside, but neither would top the players already on the D2 list, same with any of the Walsh players, that's an already loaded list.

Winters needs to be in the D1 list for sure... problem for him is that he is setting out of the back row which reduces his impact on the game. He is a solid passer and more than solid attacker from the back. Hate when coaches think their team would be better with their best outside taking the second ball in half the rotations. He'd be better at taking the first and third in all 6 rotations.

Ed's did actually make that change. Earlier in the season, with injuries and players out, he was setting, but since the first Hoban matchup, he's been playing outside all the way around. Maybe a few various games of setting to rest the starting setter against pretty bad teams like a Kent Roosevelt, but that switch was made. Ed's may actually be picking up a little momentum coming into this weekend.

D2 definitely loaded. I would take St Charles or Hoban setter right up there with Watterson setter and an outside from Walsh and Hoban definitely deserve some consideration. North usually gets no love though
Eichel (St. Charles) would actually be the front runner for setter. Missed him.
Hoban's setter is good, but Eichel and Randolph are different level size and strength.

DeSales setter is actually a really nice Libero in club, but I would like to pick the best high school Libero out there.

What I have seen of Watterson setter he can be very up and down. Saw quite a bit of him in club and he seemed a bit inconsistent. I think St Charles and Hoban setter better all around players. All 3 above avg lefty setters

Personally, I would choose the St. Charles setter. He's got the most collected player out of the 3 and still has great hands and is a lefty. Both the Hoban and Watterson setters will get flustered too easily. And I see a little too much inconsistency out of the Hoban setter. Other than that, still all quality players

So who wins the Libero position for the All-Yappi D2 squad?

Which brings up a point...
Should the coaches vote a 7 man first team with positions or just the best 7?
I vote best 7 just because the high school game sometimes forces kids to play out of position to help their team.
IE: The 3rd best outside would probably be the best Libero if they were allowed to play it

So who wins the Libero position for the All-Yappi D2 squad?

Which brings up a point...
Should the coaches vote a 7 man first team with positions or just the best 7?
I vote best 7 just because the high school game sometimes forces kids to play out of position to help their team.
IE: The 3rd best outside would probably be the best Libero if they were allowed to play it

But then you run into the possibility of having like 5 OH and two setters...

So I think positionally is the way to go.

But then you run into the possibility of having like 5 OH and two setters...

So I think positionally is the way to go.

Right, but the coaches don't do it by position.
Guarantee there are mostly outsides and setters on the official teams.

I like by position.

Personally, the best libero I've seen so far is probably Roger Bacon's. For most of the teams, the outsides are the primary passers. The only team I have seen this far with a legitimate libero.

Personally, the best libero I've seen so far is probably Roger Bacon's. For most of the teams, the outsides are the primary passers. The only team I have seen this far with a legitimate libero.

Saw RB play Alter last night... I would say he is pretty good.

RB actually won a lot of points from his serving too.

He actually started the year as a setter, so he's adapted well.

Alter's libero had some good digs, knew where to be, but looked young - he'll probably be good in a few years.

I honestly don't know much of the D1 schools outside of the GCL and Cincinnati - so this is extremely biased and based purely off of the request for the so called "big 3".

S: Pieper, Moeller
OH: Talbot, St. X
OH: Print, Darby
OPP: Kerlin, Northmont
MB: Spoelker, St. X
MB: Nortmann, Elder
L: Dahm, St. X

Back Ups:
OH: Goldschmidt, LaSalle
OH: Laib, Oak Hills
L: Lee, Darby

NOTE:
Haven't seen Ed's play, so I don't know about Winters at OH.
My picks at middle are a bit underwhelming for me, but could't think of others off hand.

And of course, when it really comes down to it the All State teams are ALL politics, not necessarily the best players in the state.

Perhaps the All-Yappi team would beat the All State team head-to-head ;)

Now being mentioned for D1 1st team:

MB: Carson Susich, Moeller

I think the D2 1st team all state list will be MUCH better than that of the D1. Players like Fiorenza, Feltz, Randolph, and Storc have the name recognition from last year and are clearly leaders on their respective teams

Heard Fiorenza may have an ankle injury?

Also, just found out that Storc is out for season due to academics

East POY will most likely get the State POY as they have had the best performances in the DII group team wise.

So that would make it a 3 horse race:
Randolph, Watterson
Feltz, DeSales
MacManaway, Mt. Vernon (hard for a middle to get recognition being on the bench half the game though)

So that would make it a 3 horse race:
Randolph, Watterson
Feltz, DeSales
MacManaway, Mt. Vernon (hard for a middle to get recognition being on the bench half the game though)

Depends on how important this player is to his team. If they force middle a lot or he's the go-to guy to end a run, they won't have a problem giving it to him. See Matthew Harpeneau for Elder in 2010.

While MH are certainly under appreciated, it is no comparison to Liberos.

Noteable middles to make 1st team:
Max Holt, Danny Brandel, Mark Shipp, John Tholen, Matt Harpenau, Andy Sellan, Owen McAndrews, Casey Pieper, Jarrod Kelso

Has there been even one Libero to make 1st team all state the last 5 years? I can't think of any

I'd give Feltz the POY for DII. He can easily take over a game and is a very talented player. Neither of the other 2 have the skills he does. Don't get me wrong, they're still great players, they just don't match up

Going back through the list, the highest I saw was Rhett Cash making 2nd team in 2009. Even Eckhoff was on the Honorable Mention the year after.