Praying Tusky Valley

this is an absolute nightmare. my thoughts and prayers go out to the Tusky Valley community and all affected.

I have a friend who is a semi-truck driver. Just talked to him here in NW Ohio about an hour ago. He went by the location going East no more than 10 minutes before the accident. There was an accident in the Westbound lanes (where the accident happened) that had traffic backed up to basically and standstill. He said traffic when it did move was moving at less than 5 mph with frequent stoppages. Gotta think that the semi just didn't stop / slow down and hit the bus. Saw pictures from the 10TV helicopter and looks like the bus got pushed into whatever vehicle was in front of it. The front of the bus looked worse than the back.

Saw pictures from the 10TV helicopter and looks like the bus got pushed into whatever vehicle was in front of it. The front of the bus looked worse than the back.
I know several drivers who drive for the charter bus company that was involved. When I saw the pic of the front of the bus, I thought the worst for the driver and feared it might be someone I know. I texted one of them and he said the driver walked away without any injury. Almost miraculous.

They sit up high and are always buckled in.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the school and families. 🙏🙏 I am a member of the Newcomerstown High School Marching band. This is devastating. They were going to enjoy their day, but this happens. 🙏🙏 Sorry for the families and school that lost their kids or parents.

This is what Garaway did for the playoff game

FB_IMG_1700092563684.jpg

I know several drivers who drive for the charter bus company that was involved. When I saw the pic of the front of the bus, I thought the worst for the driver and feared it might be someone I know. I texted one of them and he said the driver walked away without any injury. Almost miraculous.

They sit up high and are always buckled in.
The bus driver went to the hospital and had surgery, broken leg plus other injuries. Is still there.

The bus driver went to the hospital and had surgery, broken leg plus other injuries. Is still there.
Ha! That makes more sense given the way the front of the bus looked.

I asked the other driver if he was OK. In my mind, OK means uninjured. I will bet the driver thought OK meant alive.

Does anyone have any idea how this happened or any details?

This is really strange that no real details have come out and the NTSB has come in to investigate. The final NTSB report could take upwards of a year to get released. That seems like an absurdly long time for a traffic accident findings to get released.

This is really strange that no real details have come out and the NTSB has come in to investigate. The final NTSB report could take upwards of a year to get released. That seems like an absurdly long time for a traffic accident findings to get released.
I talked to a friend of mine who had a son on the bus (he's ok physically, was in the middle of the bus). He told me today that details may not be out for 10 days.
Very sad.

I talked to a friend of mine who had a son on the bus (he's ok physically, was in the middle of the bus). He told me today that details may not be out for 10 days.
Very sad.
Here is the video of yesterday's (Wednesday 11/15) NTSB press conference. Watch from the 27:05 mark to the 29:30 mark, listen closely, then go look at the photos of the scene. I'm trying to get my arms around it, but from what was stated...where?

Last edited:
I have a friend who is a semi-truck driver. Just talked to him here in NW Ohio about an hour ago. He went by the location going East no more than 10 minutes before the accident. There was an accident in the Westbound lanes (where the accident happened) that had traffic backed up to basically and standstill. He said traffic when it did move was moving at less than 5 mph with frequent stoppages. Gotta think that the semi just didn't stop / slow down and hit the bus. Saw pictures from the 10TV helicopter and looks like the bus got pushed into whatever vehicle was in front of it. The front of the bus looked worse than the back.

One of the releases, I think it was the Highway Patrol one that identified the victims, implied as much without actually saying it, but we will see what the investigation adds to it.

Bus driver's daughter: 'He saved many, many lives' of Tusky Valley students amid crash​

Nancy Molnar
Canton Repository

• Federal official credits Donald Wagler of Hartville area with acting fast when tour bus hit from behind in fiery crash that claimed six lives.
  • Wagler opened the bus door quickly so occupants could escape before the fire eliminated the power source.
  • Daughter: 'He saved many, many lives on Tuesday.'
The fast-acting driver behind the wheel of a tour bus that was hit from behind while carrying Tuscarawas Valley High School band members is expected to recover from his injuries.

Valerie Wichert said her father, Donald Wagler, underwent a second surgery Thursday at Mount Carmel East Hospital in Columbus for a broken left leg suffered in the crash. She said his leg was broken in multiple places and a lot of tissue is gone. Doctors struggling to close the wound expect Wagler will need skin grafts and multiple surgeries.

“We're hoping after today's surgery we're going to have a little bit more ... of an update on when we can either bring him home or at least get him in a hospital closer to home," Wichert said Thursday.

Donald Wagler is resident of Lake Township near Hartville.

Tuesday's fiery crash in Licking County claimed the lives of three students and three adult chaperones.

Wichert said her father is her hero, in part for the actions he took immediately after the crash.

“As soon as the crash happened, he was able to open the door. Had he waited and not reacted like he did … the door would not have opened. He saved many, many lives on Tuesday," she said.

At a briefing Wednesday in Columbus, National Traffic Safety Board Chair Jennifer Homendy credited Wagler for opening the bus door quickly so occupants could escape before the fire eliminated the power source.

Wagler, 65, was driving the bus owned Millersburg-based Pioneer Trails that was carrying members of the Tuscarawas Valley High School band, teachers and chaperones when it was hit.

"The bus was torn open right where he was sitting, so it is an absolute miracle that he is alive," Wichert said of her father. "All that was left, right there, was the seat that he was in."

Family visits hospitalized Donald Wagler after bus crash​

Ellen Wagler has stayed in Columbus since she and the couple's three children -- Wichert, Shane Wagler and Sean Wagler -- traveled there Tuesday.

Ellen learned of the crash while she was working at Hartville Kitchen, where she manages the dining room.

"She had ... a news thing pop up on her phone about a bus crash," said Wichert. "She took a screenshot and sent it in our family group chat and just said, 'Don, I hope this wasn't you and I hope you're OK.'

“We didn't see a picture of the bus. It was just a lot of ... emergency vehicles and she, about two minutes later, got a phone call from the bus company and they said, 'Don was in the accident, and we don't know any information,'" said Wichert, who lives in Portage County's Rootstown Township.

She said nearly an hour may have passed before the family learned he was at a hospital and going into surgery. He was able to speak to Ellen before he went into the operating room for a little over three hours.

Wichert said that aside from the broken leg, scrapes and bruises, her father looks "really good' and is back to his normal self.

"He's in really good spirits," she said. "He has been cracking jokes with all the nursing staff."

Pioneer Trails bus driver 'absolutely loves his job'​

Wichert said her father has driven for Pioneer Trails since 2001. She said he particularly enjoyed trips to the American West, Rocky Mountains, Canada, New England and Florida.

“He loves, he absolutely loves his job."

"He takes a lot of the Amish from Ohio and Indiana and he'll taken them back and forth to Florida," she said. "In Sarasota, there's a large Amish community, and he loves going back and forth from Florida to here."

She said her father has friends all over the United States. "My dad will make friends with everyone, and everyone loves my dad. He is everyone's favorite driver."

She said he is an over-the-top kind of guy who doesn't do anything on a small scale.

A project that started as a grandchildren's playhouse on his property turned into a tiny house with heating, air conditioning, a bathroom and a kitchen. The grandchildren can play there, but it also serves as a guest house for relatives visiting from out of state.

While Wichert said her family is grateful that her father is still alive, they have not forgotten those who died and those who are suffering.
“Our hearts go out to all the families that have lost loved ones this week," she said. "We are definitely praying for all of them.