Playoff Info so far

Empty CUP

The discussion on the other thread got me looking at this a little deeper because it really is a have and have not as far as skill and deservedness to be playing in the playoffs. as I bought the tickets direct from OHSAA for the round 1 game I went to, I was reminded to "Follow the money". Something needs to change.

D1
Round 1 of playoffs
1 True upset (East vs Hamilton but its the GMC and they suck)
17 games
1 OT
Total Winners 59 goals scored
Total Losers 5 goals scored (Just 5 losing teams of 17 scored a goal)

Round 2 of playoffs
0 Upsets
16 games
0 OT
Total winners 83 goals scored
Total losers 4 goals scored ( just 4 losing teams scored a goal)

after 2 rounds the winners have outscored the losers 142 -9

D2
Round 1 of playoffs
0 Upsets
0 OT
13 games (1 Forfeit)
Total winners 40 goals scored
Total losers 3 goals scored (3 losing teams scored a goal)

Round 2 of playoffs
1 Upset (the Mighty Indian Hill takes down #1 Summit and I missed it for work on my office...)
1 OT
12 games
Total winners 58 goals scored
Total losers 5 goals scored (just 5 losing teams scored a goal)

after 2 rounds the winners have outscored the losers 98-8

D3
Round 1 of playoffs
0 Upsets
2 OT
10 games
Totals winners 34 goals scored
Total losers 3 goals scored (just 3 losing teams scored a goal)

Round 2 of playoffs
0 upsets
0 OT
16 games
Total winners 100 goals scored
Total losers 5 goals scored (just 4 teams scored a goal)

after 2 rounds the winners have outscored the losers 134-8

So all in these are the numbers

Winners have outscored the losers 374- 25
Out of 84 losing teams 61 scored 0 goals.
2 upsets in 84 games
4 OT's in 84 games

Last edited:

Remaining teams per conference

SWBL 4 of 5 - .800
GCL - 4 of 6 - .666
CHL - 5 of 8 - .625
MVC - 3 of 5 - .600
GGCL - 3 of 5 - .600
GWOC - 4 of 8 - .500
ECC 5 of 10 - .500
GMC 2 of 10 - .200
SWOC 0 of 6 - .000

Great work Empty CUP!

Promotion and relegation to OHSAA! Bring it in now.

Eliminate some of the teams entering the tournament, allow them to play some extra "regular season" games since they don't need postseason anyway.

Batavia upset Ross and at least seed wise also upset Roger Bacon.

Considering the football playoffs just got expanded there is zero chance soccer gets reduced.

Batavia upset Ross and at least seed wise also upset Roger Bacon.

Considering the football playoffs just got expanded there is zero chance soccer gets reduced.
#7 beating #3 isn't a real upset to me. I kinda called that one anyway.

But seriously all in 374 goals for the winning teams and 25 for the losers? I mean this is stupid....

I'm a little surprised in the stats for the first round, at least. I would have figured you'd have some close games among the mid-teens / low 20s seeds, like 17 seeds playing 18 seeds (for example).

The discussion on the other thread got me looking at this a little deeper because it really is a have and have not as far as skill and deservedness to be playing in the playoffs. as I bought the tickets direct from OHSAA for the round 1 game I went to, I was reminded to "Follow the money". Something needs to change.

D1
Round 1 of playoffs
1 True upset (East vs Hamilton but its the GMC and they suck)
17 games
1 OT
Total Winners 59 goals scored
Total Losers 5 goals scored (Just 5 losing teams of 17 scored a goal)

Round 2 of playoffs
0 Upsets
16 games
0 OT
Total winners 83 goals scored
Total losers 4 goals scored ( just 4 losing teams scored a goal)

after 2 rounds the winners have outscored the losers 142 -9

D2
Round 1 of playoffs
0 Upsets
0 OT
13 games (1 Forfeit)
Total winners 40 goals scored
Total losers 3 goals scored (3 losing teams scored a goal)

Round 2 of playoffs
1 Upset (the Mighty Indian Hill takes down #1 Summit and I missed it for work on my office...)
1 OT
12 games
Total winners 58 goals scored
Total losers 5 goals scored (just 5 losing teams scored a goal)

after 2 rounds the winners have outscored the losers 98-8

D3
Round 1 of playoffs
0 Upsets
2 OT
10 games
Totals winners 34 goals scored
Total losers 3 goals scored (just 3 losing teams scored a goal)

Round 2 of playoffs
0 upsets
0 OT
16 games
Total winners 100 goals scored
Total losers 5 goals scored (just 4 teams scored a goal)

after 2 rounds the winners have outscored the losers 134-8

So all in these are the numbers

Winners have outscored the losers 374- 25
Out of 84 losing teams 61 scored 0 goals.
2 upsets in 84 games
4 OT's in 84 games
Which is why not every team should get in the tournament. Why not do it like football where 8 (and now 16) teams get in? Saves us all from the terrible 10-0 games.

There are also 7 divisions in football so not really a fair comparison. If the top seeds didn’t cherry pick first round games they absolutely know are going to be against extremely weak opponents the lopsided games wouldn’t be as much an issue.

Do I think it'll happen, absolutely not. Doesn't mean one can't hope for some change.

Also, using football as the measuring stick is wrong, as previously noted here a couple of times. If Ohio HS soccer ever gets on the level of Ohio HS football, then maybe they can start being compared.

Do I think it'll happen, absolutely not. Doesn't mean one can't hope for some change.

Also, using football as the measuring stick is wrong, as previously noted here a couple of times. If Ohio HS soccer ever gets on the level of Ohio HS football, then maybe they can start being compared.
They can be compared because football was expanded for the same reason soccer won’t be reduced. It’s not about quality of play or 1-9 football teams wouldn’t be making the playoffs

They can be compared because football was expanded for the same reason soccer won’t be reduced. It’s not about quality of play or 1-9 football teams wouldn’t be making the playoffs
Can't say I see 1-9 football teams making OHSAA playoffs, but I also don't keep up with it. I know the COVID 2020 season basically entered everyone into postseason. Did they keep that system in place, or go back to the points system?

I've not paid any attention to HS football for nearly 20 years.

But, soccer is bringing in pennies on the dollar compared to football.

Can't say I see 1-9 football teams making OHSAA playoffs, but I also don't keep up with it. I know the COVID 2020 season basically entered everyone into postseason. Did they keep that system in place, or go back to the points system?

I've not paid any attention to HS football for nearly 20 years.

But, soccer is bringing in pennies on the dollar compared to football.
You’re saying you can’t see it but also that you don’t follow it? They still use points but also 16 teams make it so you’re going to see the worst D1 team in Ohio (Oak Hills) go 0-10 and play either Moeller or St X.

The fact soccer brings in less is irrelevant because the winner (OHSAA) still wins even if the win is small

What happens in football makes no sense for soccer. You do realize that not everyone gets in for football, right? That trumps it all.

Why shouldn't soccer limit it like football does? There we go.:banana:

What happens in football makes no sense for soccer. You do realize that not everyone gets in for football, right? That trumps it all.

Why shouldn't soccer limit it like football does? There we go.:banana:
You do realize literally every sport except football lets everyone in and football just doubled playoff participation right?

Why shouldn’t soccer let everyone in like basketball, track, volleyball, baseball, cross country, wrestling, golf? What point are you actually trying to make here? Not a strong one to say the least.

You do realize literally every sport except football lets everyone in and football just doubled playoff participation right?

Why shouldn’t soccer let everyone in like basketball, track, volleyball, baseball, cross country, wrestling, golf? What point are you actually trying to make here? Not a strong one to say the least.
First round games in girls basketball and soccer result in absolute demolitions of the losing teams and nothing is gained. The season is played for a reason. If you do good enough, you get to play in the tournament. Look at the scores from most of the first round games, especially against #1 and #2 seeds. Having everyone in adds an extra week to the season for no reason and also adds to the potential for injuries.

Take the top 8 or 16 in each region and go from there. There is no need for a team like Lima Senior girls soccer to get into the tournament and get crushed. It serves no purpose.

You are the one who wanted to keep comparing the two, so I met you where you were. I don't care what any other sport does or how they operate, this is a soccer discussion. I want to make soccer better. Others can discuss what makes their sport better.

Now, move the goalposts again. If it were up to me, yes, they all would be limited. I would love for the regular season to be extended and lesser postseason games be played. That would allow kids to play more meaningful games instead of sitting at home once they get knocked out in the first round -- in a postseason they didn't deserve anyway.

Football expanded because football brings in money. Basketball brings in money. Everyone knows that. Soccer attendance is meager, at best. Sure, it's "free money" at some point for OHSAA. It'd be even better with more meaningful games in postseason play. 8-0 and 16-0 postseason games are worthless for everyone involved.

First round games in girls basketball and soccer result in absolute demolitions of the losing teams and nothing is gained. The season is played for a reason. If you do good enough, you get to play in the tournament. Look at the scores from most of the first round games, especially against #1 and #2 seeds. Having everyone in adds an extra week to the season for no reason and also adds to the potential for injuries.

Take the top 8 or 16 in each region and go from there. There is no need for a team like Lima Senior girls soccer to get into the tournament and get crushed. It serves no purpose.
Yeah, let’s leave 300+ schools out of the tournament because of a few blowout ?‍♂️

You are the one who wanted to keep comparing the two, so I met you where you were. I don't care what any other sport does or how they operate, this is a soccer discussion. I want to make soccer better. Others can discuss what makes their sport better.

Now, move the goalposts again. If it were up to me, yes, they all would be limited. I would love for the regular season to be extended and lesser postseason games be played. That would allow kids to play more meaningful games instead of sitting at home once they get knocked out in the first round -- in a postseason they didn't deserve anyway.

Football expanded because football brings in money. Basketball brings in money. Everyone knows that. Soccer attendance is meager, at best. Sure, it's "free money" at some point for OHSAA. It'd be even better with more meaningful games in postseason play. 8-0 and 16-0 postseason games are worthless for everyone involved.
I haven’t moved the goalposts once but you do you. You all clearly haven’t thought this out but that’s none of my business

Let's go back to your logic: if it's good enough for football, it'll be good enough for soccer. Limit postseason. Thank you for helping prove the point.

Let's go back to your logic: if it's good enough for football, it'll be good enough for soccer. Limit postseason. Thank you for helping prove the point.
OHSAA is more likely to let every football team in than change any of the other team sports to not include everyone.

With the regional and state final matches extending into the colder part of November, I think that fact alone provides all the incentive you need to shorten the postseason, but there's also:
  • Reduce chance of injury
  • Eliminate ticket sales and ref fees for a game that holds no weight in the tournament.
At least one (if not two) matches should be eliminated from the early rounds.

Looking at the brackets, this could have meant 7 fewer teams in the South (seeds #25 and lower) and 4 fewer in the North (seeds #15 and lower), as well as eliminating a few of the bye positions. I'm with @belied dat though... Should it happen? Yes. Will it? Not a chance.