PLAYOFF CHAMPS ONLY

Late in the 2nd quarter, facing a 4th down at the 48ish Piqua lined up to punt. Almost all the fans on the Piqua side had a feeling it was coming, the fake punt snapped directly to Brandon Saine and he took it 52 yards for the score. It didn't lock down the win but it put a huge burden on Pickerington Central for the 2nd half. Then the Piqua defense in the 2nd half did what it had done all season long and got the Indians their only state championship to date.

2009, when St Paul drove 98 yards with minutes left to beat Delphos St. John, 24-21. DSJ had ball on SP 1 yard line, but false start and Flyer D set up the theatrics

DSJ is 6-1 in Title Games while SP is 1-4. So, each other's only win/loss in Title Game with this matchup.

Don't know much about Norwalk 1974 Title run other than it heavily upset St. Vincent in Semi, then St. Aquinas in Title Game; 2 of the elite Programs throughout 70s into 80s

WE NEED MORE REAL, NON-FICTIONAL AND GENUINE PLAYOFF CHAMPION STORIES. YOU PEOPLE (do not take that as a slur) are providing memorable accounts of special times. Please, keep sharing your experience for us to enjoy and FOR OTHERS TO LEARN FROM.
Now you’re just trying to get this thread locked! :banana:

In 2015, Kirtland faced Marion Local for the first time in a battle of small-school dynasties, and Kirtland came out on top 22-20, ending Marion Local’s 24-game playoff win streak which still stands as tied for the most consecutive playoff victories in OHSAA history.

A few notes from that game:
• ML was up 13-0 at halftime, and could have been up more if it were not for a controversial fumble in which the Flyer QB’s progress was stopped for about 2-3 seconds, then the ball was stripped & recovered by the Hornets.
• After Kirtland scored its first TD, the Flyers drove down the field & were set to score, but they fumbled a snap inside the 5 yard line & gave the Hornets the ball.
• The Hornets responded with a 96-yard touchdown drive, picked off a pass on ML’s next drive, then scored a long TD run on a 4th down near the 50 & converted a 2-pt conversion to make it 22-13 (a two-possession game).
• ML scored again, but time just ran out. Not the most down-to-the-wire game, but a very significant one in my mind.

In 2015, Kirtland faced Marion Local for the first time in a battle of small-school dynasties, and Kirtland came out on top 22-20, ending Marion Local’s 24-game playoff win streak which still stands as tied for the most consecutive playoff victories in OHSAA history.

• ML was up 13-0 at halftime, and could have been up more if it were not for a controversial fumble in which the Flyer QB’s progress was stopped for about 2-3 seconds, then the ball was stripped & recovered by the Hornets.
• After Kirtland scored its first TD, the Flyers drove down the field & were set to score, but they fumbled a snap inside the 5 yard line & gave the Hornets the ball.
• The Hornets responded with a 96-yard touchdown drive, picked off a pass on ML’s next drive, then scored a long TD run on a 4th down near the 50 & converted a 2-pt conversion to make it 22-13 (a two-possession game).
• ML scored again, but time just ran out. Not the most down-to-the-wire game, but a very significant one in my mind.
Lemme tell ya that 57 yard run was awesome!

Lemme tell ya that 57 yard run was awesome!
It is undoubtedly a moment that kids dream of.

Ironically enough, in the past couple of years after watching that game back, I have come to realize that if the running back had gone down on his own instead of scoring, the Hornets technically could have kneeled out the clock. A win is a win, but certainly funny to think about after the fact…

Ironically enough, in the past couple of years after watching that game back, I have come to realize that if the running back had gone down on his own instead of scoring, the Hornets technically could have kneeled out the clock. A win is a win, but certainly funny to think about after the fact…
A win is indeed a win. You guys did something my Tomcats couldn't do, beat the Flyers!

As a Flyer fan, I remember rooting for him to score at that point because it meant we would get the ball back. The two-point conversion was a dagger and exactly what should have been done in that situation. That game will always be a bitter title game memory for me, but it doesn’t reduce the amount of respect I have for Kirtland for pulling it off!

Valley View beating Akron Manchester 31-24 in the Division IV state title game in 1997. Both teams missed chip shot field goals that would have won the game. VV got a heavy pass rush on the last play of the game to forced an errant throw to seal the win for the Spartans! Valley View was the first team to win back to back DIV state championships.

One of the most exciting comebacks ever, Mogadore over St. Henry in triple overtime. Mogadore trailed at one point 35-3. Won on a field goal 61-58....1996 state championship at Massillon Paul Brown Tiger Stadium. Seemed like the entire village was at the stadium that day. Never gave up, and the party went on all weekend!! What a ride home from Massillon that day!!

I remember Valley View was playing after that game. The parking lot was a big traffic jam after that game!

Kirtland has been a bit of a thorn in Marion Local's side. It's a little frustrating as a Marion Local fan lol. Kirtland actually has a losing record to the MAC conference as a whole in state title games (3 wins and 4 losses) but oddly enough Marion Local is the only MAC team with a losing record against the Hornets. Granted, we are the only MAC team that has played Kirtland more than twice. It's safe to say, Marion Local fans wouldn't mind seeing Kirtland again (I know...be careful what we wish for).

For me, I look back on the 2001 state title game as one of Marion Local's finest moments. I recall in 2000, after knocking off conference rival and state power Delphos St. John's, the Mogadore fans perhaps were breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't have to face the Blue Jays. Marion Local went on to win their first state title 54-0 over Mogadore. That brings us to 2001 and the rematch with another undefeated Mogadore squad. I remember seeing some "unfinished business" signs on the Mogadore side. Because Marion Local was a newcomer to this scene, there was some doubt around the state about how legitimate they were. Maybe the previous year was a fluke. The Flyers went on to beat Mogadore in the rematch 63-7 leaving no doubt that something special was brewing in Maria Stein.

2013 on the frozen Tundra in Canton. 6 inches of snow the night before left the seating in the stadium virtually non existent. Most people were on their feet the entire game. Moeller vs. Mentor in a back and forth 55-52 thriller in regulation no less. Co-offensive players of the year in Gus Ragland from Moeller and Conner Krizancic from Mentor putting on arguably the best performances by two QBs in an Ohio State Championship game ever. Getting a defensive stop in this game was rare. I believe each team scored on their last 4 possessions and it all came down to a Moeller field goal in the last 50 seconds or so to seal the deal. Mentor then went three and out on their last desperation drive as time expired. You had to be there to fully experience the electricity. I almost didn't make it to the game since the snow in Cincinnati the night before made the trip nearly impossible. Luckily my son and I were able to secure the last two seats on the last chartered bus to leave the Moeller parking lot the morning of the game. Check out the highlights and stats from this game. Truly a memorable performance by both teams. GBM

As a Flyer fan, I remember rooting for him to score at that point because it meant we would get the ball back. The two-point conversion was a dagger and exactly what should have been done in that situation. That game will always be a bitter title game memory for me, but it doesn’t reduce the amount of respect I have for Kirtland for pulling it off!
If that two-point conversion were not converted, I would have fully expected Marion Local to tie it up & potentially win. That game also served as reconciliation for many in Kirtland as the 2014 thrilling 46-42 shootout between the Hornets and Minster saw us fall short.

Kirtland has been a bit of a thorn in Marion Local's side. It's a little frustrating as a Marion Local fan lol. Kirtland actually has a losing record to the MAC conference as a whole in state title games (3 wins and 4 losses) but oddly enough Marion Local is the only MAC team with a losing record against the Hornets. Granted, we are the only MAC team that has played Kirtland more than twice. It's safe to say, Marion Local fans wouldn't mind seeing Kirtland again (I know...be careful what we wish for).

For me, I look back on the 2001 state title game as one of Marion Local's finest moments. I recall in 2000, after knocking off conference rival and state power Delphos St. John's, the Mogadore fans perhaps were breathing a sigh of relief that they didn't have to face the Blue Jays. Marion Local went on to win their first state title 54-0 over Mogadore. That brings us to 2001 and the rematch with another undefeated Mogadore squad. I remember seeing some "unfinished business" signs on the Mogadore side. Because Marion Local was a newcomer to this scene, there was some doubt around the state about how legitimate they were. Maybe the previous year was a fluke. The Flyers went on to beat Mogadore in the rematch 63-7 leaving no doubt that something special was brewing in Maria Stein.
You are correct about being under .500 against the Mighty MAC. I doubt there is a team out there that can say they are above that .500 mark (I would not count somebody that is, say, 1-0). It is crazy, like you said, how the Hornets only have a winning record against ML amongst all MAC teams; when the Flyers have the most state title wins/success in state history.

The one thing that is a pest to me, however, is that three of Kirtland’s four losses to the MAC are by four points or less (9-10 vs. Coldwater in 2012, 42-46 vs. Minster in 2014, 16-20 vs. Versailles in 2021). The lone exception was that 11-34 drubbing in 2017 against the Flyers.

On the other side of things though, two of Kirtland’s victories are by single digits (22-20 vs. ML in 2015, 16-7 vs. ML in 2018) with the lone exception being a 28-7 win vs. CW in 2011.

Safe to say, as some have already said on here, the respect is mutual between the MAC & Kirtland and Kirtland & the MAC.

Looking back at your favorite moment, I forgot that those Mogadore state title games were in consecutive years. That Wildcat program is another we have a respect for & always have some great run-ins with in the playoffs. But knocking them off by 50+ points in consecutive years is unbelievable; let alone doing so in your first two state title game appearances.

You are correct about being under .500 against the Mighty MAC. I doubt there is a team out there that can say they are above that .500 mark (I would not count somebody that is, say, 1-0). It is crazy, like you said, how the Hornets only have a winning record against ML amongst all MAC teams; when the Flyers have the most state title wins/success in state history.

The one thing that is a pest to me, however, is that three of Kirtland’s four losses to the MAC are by four points or less (9-10 vs. Coldwater in 2012, 42-46 vs. Minster in 2014, 16-20 vs. Versailles in 2021). The lone exception was that 11-34 drubbing in 2017 against the Flyers.

On the other side of things though, two of Kirtland’s victories are by single digits (22-20 vs. ML in 2015, 16-7 vs. ML in 2018) with the lone exception being a 28-7 win vs. CW in 2011.

Safe to say, as some have already said on here, the respect is mutual between the MAC & Kirtland and Kirtland & the MAC.

Looking back at your favorite moment, I forgot that those Mogadore state title games were in consecutive years. That Wildcat program is another we have a respect for & always have some great run-ins with in the playoffs. But knocking them off by 50+ points in consecutive years is unbelievable; let alone doing so in your first two state title game appearances.

You mention some of the close games between Kirtland/MAC. Really out of the seven contests, I see only two games in which one team was clearly superior. Those would be 2011 Kirtland over Coldwater and 2017 MSML over Kirtland. I'll add that 2018 Kirtland was clearly better than MSML. However MSML was able to keep it close. Had a chance to make it interesting in the 4th quarter with the ball around Kirtland's 1 yard line. Then a blocked field goal and that was a wrap. The Flyers have had some frustrating situations deep inside Kirtland territory going back to 2015. Anyway it's exciting to be in the same division again.

Norwayne vs Kenton and “Maty Mauk” The nations all time passing leader . Norwayne won 48-42 In a game that featured six fourth-quarter touchdowns and three state finals records that were tied or broken, Norwayne (Creston, Ohio)scored the game-winning touchdown with 31 seconds left to beat Kenton, 48-42, at Massillon's Paul Brown Tiger Stadium before a raucous crowd of 10,329. This was also norwaynes only 3rd playoff experience .. and Wayne county’s Second championship team the playoffs started in 1972 …
Combined, the teams totaled 966 yards in offense, which is the fourth-most in Ohio finals history. The 703 combined passing yards was the most ever in a non-overtime state final, regardless of division.

Last edited:
Norwayne vs Kenton and “Maty Mauk” Norwayne won 48-42 In a game that featured six fourth-quarter touchdowns and three state finals records that were tied or broken, Norwayne (Creston, Ohio)scored the game-winning touchdown with 31 seconds left to beat Kenton, 48-42, at Massillon's Paul Brown Tiger Stadium before a raucous crowd of 10,329. This was also norwaynes only 3rd playoff experience .. and Wayne county’s Second championship team the first one since 1972 …
Combined, the teams totaled 966 yards in offense, which is the fourth-most in Ohio finals history. The 703 combined passing yards was the most ever in a non-overtime state final, regardless of division.
That was a great game and a huge upset.
I thought Orrville won the first for Wayne County in 1998.

20220520_103737.jpg

State Champs 2021 Division 2 Winton Woods

This one requires just a little back story, in 1996 Liberty Center lost a very close game to Patrick Henry and narrowly missed the playoffs. The following year, after a last second 46-44 loss to Patrick Henry that in 2004, the Toledo Blade called their Top high school football game ever. It looked like history was going to repeat itself and another very good LC team was going to miss the playoffs. Several weeks later, Liberty Center was scheduled to play a lowly Ottawa Hills team who was down to less than 20 healthy players so they decided to forfeit the game, this gave LC a lower playoff divisor and they jumped Elmwood and Bucyrus Wynford for the last playoff spot. After a week 1 upset of defending State Champion Marion Pleasant 21-19. Liberty Center went on a run getting revenge on Patrick Henry 40-14, beating AppleCreek Waynedale 44-8 in the semis and concluded their magical run with a 49-8 drubbing of Amanda Clearcreek in the state title game. A team that wasn't even supposed to be there outscoring their opponents on average 40-12 en route to a State Championship.

No matter what the school, the first one is always the sweetest. This is the play that got it all started. Ignatius-Princeton, 1988 at 26:24.

IMO, that play by Inge #44 was the most significant play in Ignatius football history. It was the start of all that followed.

This one requires just a little back story, in 1996 Liberty Center lost a very close game to Patrick Henry and narrowly missed the playoffs. The following year, after a last second 46-44 loss to Patrick Henry that in 2004, the Toledo Blade called their Top high school football game ever. It looked like history was going to repeat itself and another very good LC team was going to miss the playoffs. Several weeks later, Liberty Center was scheduled to play a lowly Ottawa Hills team who was down to less than 20 healthy players so they decided to forfeit the game, this gave LC a lower playoff divisor and they jumped Elmwood and Bucyrus Wynford for the last playoff spot. After a week 1 upset of defending State Champion Marion Pleasant 21-19. Liberty Center went on a run getting revenge on Patrick Henry 40-14, beating AppleCreek Waynedale 44-8 in the semis and concluded their magical run with a 49-8 drubbing of Amanda Clearcreek in the state title game. A team that wasn't even supposed to be there outscoring their opponents on average 40-12 en route to a State Championship.
Another sensational CHAMPIONSHIP STORY. WOW!!!!!