Playoff attendance

How does the 18 inches get determined? Is it figuring a spring day clothed crowd? I know I take up more width when I have the Carhartts on as opposed to the games in August and September.
Haha, I don't think cold weather clothing strategies are taken into account here. Easiest thing to do would be go to a HS stadium that has bleacher seats that are numbered and measure the numbers center to center. Also, I recall seeing that number from various posts made by ohiopup in the past when people have disputed posted attendance figures claiming there were more people there and that the OHSAA was pocketing the difference. You got the idea though in that people aren't going to sit as closely together as prescribed by the stadium designer.

Overall I was told this was one of the biggest six-game totals for the Indianan games.
15 bucks for the session seemed to go over well with the fans from there.

Overall I was told this was one of the biggest six-game totals for the Indianan games.
15 bucks for the session seemed to go over well with the fans from there.
Make no mistake, being in a dome is the driving factor and not so much the cost of tickets.

If Ohio had a domed stadium (Massillon, time for you to step up) then attendance would jump.

I don't think I'd agree. Being in weather might be an "excuse" given to stay home and watch on tv. Take it away and another will pop up. People will go if it's an event. I'm always on the side of decentralized championship with the caveat, if the local population doesn't fill the stands and make it an event for visitors and players, time to try another community.

I don't think I'd agree. Being in weather might be an "excuse" given to stay home and watch on tv. Take it away and another will pop up. People will go if it's an event. I'm always on the side of decentralized championship with the caveat, if the local population doesn't fill the stands and make it an event for visitors and players, time to try another community.
Parents: They are always going to go. You need to capture everyon else, and fans from the same league/area who would want to go.

Old folks: Many cannot go to the finals games due to the weather. Recall our HC mentioning in the post game interview a few years ago saying hi to his parents who couldnt come due do the cold.

Also: Families. Many kids are at the early season games and it starts to dwindle later in the season. Many are just not going to bring kids, and often times forces the parents to stay home as well, when the weather turns rough.

In a dome.....yeah. I can almost assure that will bump attendance, no doubt about it. I wouldnt mind watching more game this weekend, but I wont. Has nothing to do with ticket prices.......... I just dont want to sit outside for 7-9 hours.

Weather is absolutely the main factor. Just look at games at the beginning of the year and then compared to late in the season when the weather changes and you can't comfortably wear a tshirt. Sure, the big late season games and then playoff games draw good crowds for the most part, but there's a ton of people that will go to a few games at the begining of the year when its 70 outside but don't want to sit in the cold.

Weather is absolutely the main factor. Just look at games at the beginning of the year and then compared to late in the season when the weather changes and you can't comfortably wear a tshirt. Sure, the big late season games and then playoff games draw good crowds for the most part, but there's a ton of people that will go to a few games at the begining of the year when its 70 outside but don't want to sit in the cold.

People don't have to travel 2 hours for the games in the beginning of the year and those that do, I don't think they're bringing huge crowds with them? Most teams I know do dwindle in attendance as the season wears on, unless they are winning. Then pick up last rival games.... These games were only so well attended in the day because of the implications and I suspect, local support. Both are gone. People have other things to do.

Pretty expensive experiment for a dome, even a Kibbie dome. A multi-function mid-sized stadium might add to someone's revenue but that's still going to run several hundred million.

I do see TV's post about 7-9 hours outdoors. I would agree it could up the attendance for the all-day crowd IF there were other things to do within the stadium as there are in Lucas Oil and Ford Field. I was considering only those going for one game. Ultimately, if the locals don't support it, you could put naked kardasians in that dome and out-of-town attendance isn't going to raise significantly because of in-doors. It's distance and other things to do, slowing people.

Ive noticed the best attended final games were from schools that were making their first finals appearance.....then they send 5-6 bus loads of students.

I am wondering how well the WV games will attended this weekend. I am going to all three.
Free parking and 8 bucks per game is the cost of the ticket.

The entire state of WV is smaller than the metro population of Columbus, so percentage wise I bet they do pretty well.
I am sure they will do just fine. I am hoping they do as well as Indy, Iowa, and Minnesota did this year.
If I was a betting man I would bet Ohio will be close to what they were 2 years ago. With as many private schools that made it the number could be a tad less.

Parents: They are always going to go. You need to capture everyon else, and fans from the same league/area who would want to go.

Old folks: Many cannot go to the finals games due to the weather. Recall our HC mentioning in the post game interview a few years ago saying hi to his parents who couldnt come due do the cold.

Also: Families. Many kids are at the early season games and it starts to dwindle later in the season. Many are just not going to bring kids, and often times forces the parents to stay home as well, when the weather turns rough.

In a dome.....yeah. I can almost assure that will bump attendance, no doubt about it. I wouldnt mind watching more game this weekend, but I wont. Has nothing to do with ticket prices.......... I just dont want to sit outside for 7-9 hours.
15 years ago, the weather did not seem to be an issue with attendance. Are you not in the military? If so, hopefully you have an office job.

i was going to go, but i can't figure out how to purchase a ticket on this thing called internet......

With such low numbers at the state finals, what must the OHSAA do differently to get fans back in the seats?
Now, I am sure there will be two or three posters on here that say nothing needs to be changed but the truth is those numbers attendance-wise are sad. Neutral fans even those in the Northeast in the backyard of where the games are being held have not been going.

With such low numbers at the state finals, what must the OHSAA do differently to get fans back in the seats?
Now, I am sure there will be two or three posters on here that say nothing needs to be changed but the truth is those numbers attendance-wise are sad. Neutral fans even those in the Northeast in the backyard of where the games are being held have not been going.
Dropping the ticket prices may provided a dead cat bounce, but even cheaper tickets would still see year over year decline after the first year.

nothing can be done. People at all levels do not attend sporting events the way they used to, with high school bearing the larger brunt of that. The numbers will never go back up significantly.

Games start times much closer to each other (1 hour after prior one finishes?) and one ticket gets you all the games for that day. Couple off my head suggestions.
I don’t think one ticket for all sessions would help. I don’t think there are that many people left anymore interested in seeing all the games in person

I don’t think one ticket for all sessions would help. I don’t think there are that many people left anymore interested in seeing all the games in person
Then why does the ohsaa waste the extra time playing games at 1030am to about 1030pm when they could get all the games done in about 9-10 hours. And don't need the expense of clearing the stadium between games, etc if it's such a small group that might want to stay for the next game?

It seems to work well in other states just stacking them one after another. The crowd mostly clears out and the next games fans move in to the center during the half hour break or so between games.

Then why does the ohsaa waste the extra time playing games at 1030am to about 1030pm when they could get all the games done in about 9-10 hours. And don't need the expense of clearing the stadium between games, etc if it's such a small group that might want to stay for the next game?

It seems to work well in other states just stacking them one after another. The crowd mostly clears out and the next games fans move in to the center during the half hour break or so between games.
I don’t believe the time between games has much to do at all with clearing the stands. It’s more about the postgame stuff on field, OT protection, and TV times.