Player safety

Buck1977

What is the current opinion regarding player safety with regard to current OHSAA length of schedule.

We now have kids potentially participating in football activities from Memorial Day until December, that's 7 months.

Is this what's best for the kids or us this just adults making bad decisions without thinking through the process.

Admittedly, there is less hitting and contact during the preseason, regular season and playoffs compared to the 1970-90s but some kids are now playing 4 7v7s, 2 scrimmages, and up to 16 regular season and playoff games.

Is this what's best for their overall health.

Last edited:

What is the current opinion regarding player safety with regard to current OHSAA length of schedule.

We now have kids potentially participating in football activities from Memorial Day until December, that's 7 months.

Is this what's best for the kids or us this just adults making bad decisions without thinking through the process.

Admittedly, there is less hitting and contact during the preseason, regular season and playoffs compared to the 1970-90s but some kids are now playing 4 7v7s, 2 scrimmages, and up to 16 regular season and playoff games.

Lets say that it is a problem for player health. What is your proposal to correct that? Are you wanting to shorten the season? Mandate a no contact period? Shorten Playoffs? Some other idea?

The reality is that the vast majority of the teams play a 10-12 week season which is not unreasonable. Most coaches do a great job at limiting the amount of live contact during the season and in August. Those that have extended runs probably have a level of depth and conditioning that far exceeds other schools.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to. I get that the OHSAA is lengthening the schedule, but coaches are not required to schedule practices. In fact, they can't require their players to show up until August anyway. I have a problem when coaches are complaining about an early start to the season and the extra week in the playoffs. Who is making them schedule a game for the first week of the season> If it's too early, leave it open. If your a team that is expecting to make a long playoff run, and your complaining about the extra week in the playoffs, then you should probably schedule 8 or 9 games and take a bye in the middle of the season. There are very easy solutions out there when the OHSAA makes decisions like this, but too many would rather complain than try to problem solve.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to. I get that the OHSAA is lengthening the schedule, but coaches are not required to schedule practices. In fact, they can't require their players to show up until August anyway. I have a problem when coaches are complaining about an early start to the season and the extra week in the playoffs. Who is making them schedule a game for the first week of the season> If it's too early, leave it open. If your a team that is expecting to make a long playoff run, and your complaining about the extra week in the playoffs, then you should probably schedule 8 or 9 games and take a bye in the middle of the season. There are very easy solutions out there when the OHSAA makes decisions like this, but too many would rather complain than try to problem solve.
Interesting point. I am curious, how many teams schedule byes in the season in Ohio high school football? The thought I have on this is that at the smaller school level, the season becomes a battle of attrition. Small schools are more likely to have kids that play both ways. A 16 game season for a two way player is like 32 games worth of contact on both sides of the ball. I, for one, was disappointed when they extended the playoffs. What business does a team with 2 or 3 wins have in the playoffs? You're putting those kids at the 13-16 seed at risk going against (often times) far superior teams. You're putting those 1-4 teams at an (often times) unnecessary risk by giving them a game where the coaches are just try to get through it injury free.

Now, I like the extended time with no contact and allowing option things in the spring. If your kids want to work, let them. In season, I would be all for a 6-8 week season with the current playoff format. Start the playoffs right when teams are hitting their strides and before the grind takes a tole on the depth chart.

Then, play it like baseball. If you get knocked out of the playoffs before you reach a 10 game season, allow schools to schedule a few games up to 10 after their knocked out of the playoffs and make a cut off date for all non playoff games to be completed.

Interesting point. I am curious, how many teams schedule byes in the season in Ohio high school football? The thought I have on this is that at the smaller school level, the season becomes a battle of attrition. Small schools are more likely to have kids that play both ways. A 16 game season for a two way player is like 32 games worth of contact on both sides of the ball. I, for one, was disappointed when they extended the playoffs. What business does a team with 2 or 3 wins have in the playoffs? You're putting those kids at the 13-16 seed at risk going against (often times) far superior teams. You're putting those 1-4 teams at an (often times) unnecessary risk by giving them a game where the coaches are just try to get through it injury free.

Now, I like the extended time with no contact and allowing option things in the spring. If your kids want to work, let them. In season, I would be all for a 6-8 week season with the current playoff format. Start the playoffs right when teams are hitting their strides and before the grind takes a tole on the depth chart.

Then, play it like baseball. If you get knocked out of the playoffs before you reach a 10 game season, allow schools to schedule a few games up to 10 after their knocked out of the playoffs and make a cut off date for all non playoff games to be completed.
This is what I think needs to happen. Schools and coaches need to save themselves, and it appears the OHSAA allows it. Schools can opt out of the playoffs. Last year a D6 northeast team, Columbiana, opted out of the playoffs. When they opted out, it raised a few eyebrows as they had a roster of about 30-40 kids and were nowhere near a terrible team compared to some in that region, but at the same point they were not a going to challenge for the region and their only chance to sneak in was a very low seed with a possible reward against Kirtland. More coaches and schools need to make the decision that Columbiana made. I applaud them for that. If enough schools opt out, you won't have 16 teams that qualify and can shrink the playoff field by that method alone. To my knowledge, no penalty was given to Columbiana for voluntarily opting out.

I also think that the OHSAA still allows regular season games to be played once the playoffs start like you mentioned in your baseball example. I know this was true during the Covid season, but I think it is still currently allowed. Its a good solution for the earlier start to the season. Just give your team a bye week in the first week, opt out of the playoffs, and schedule a game in week 11 or 12. To my knowledge the OHSAA would allow all of these things to take place without a penalty, thereby solving some of the issues coaches and schools are complaining about.

Lets say that it is a problem for player health. What is your proposal to correct that? Are you wanting to shorten the season? Mandate a no contact period? Shorten Playoffs? Some other idea?

I don't know if there is a magic bullet solution. I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on the situation.

I think that these are valid points, but is playing 5-6 baseball games in a weekend good for kids? Same with Basketball or soccer, lacrosse, etc. Travel sports are also an issue.

Also, I know HS Basketball can start working with kids again here soon and have to take maybe August off???? but their season then can be May, June, July, October through early March. Essentially making it the same length.

I think the current trend for whatever reason is to add more time and practices by the OHSAA to give schools the option. I would like to think there will be more schools who opt to not take these things to the max than there are schools who push it to the limit.

Teams can begin "practicing" on May 15th, then they get can begin acclimation July 17th. When I was in school, we did conditioning all June. In July we had 10 camp days. Then acclimation began in August 2-a Days. I guess you could justify practing in May and June as a way of developing necessary fundamentals prior to the season. However, some coaches will definitely abuse it and burn out their kids before the season really gets going.

Where is the problem here other than in some adults head.? Kids can do a million things during the summer that are much more dangerous than some 7v7 Fb in shorts and t-shirts. Heck these fb related activities probably keeps many kids from otherwise doing things that might really endanger their health. As a parent keeping kids engaged and busy especially during the summer is the best preventative for keeping them safe and out of trouble.
I'd bet more serious injuries occur to teenage boys during the summer in non related sports activities than they do in summer conditioning and 7v7.
Heck even chasing girls during the summer is more dangerous than FB ..........

We are indeed stretching these teens entirely too thin. They have way higher expectations than even 20 years ago in the early 2000s. For many, they have so many different activities going on, that they can't even get a job and know what it's like to work for your own money over the summer. We are raising a bunch of kids that will be burnt out after high school and be clueless to the value of a dollar.

The worst part is, it's not the kids' fault.....yet we adults will surely put the blame on them. It's the adults that are running these kids into the ground mentally and physically, and it's starting younger and younger.

I was just talking to another parent on my 8 year old's rec baseball team. This parent was talking about how their kid is on a 2nd baseball team, playing spring soccer, found a spring time basketball league of some sort and was thinking about scouts. I asked, "When does your kid do homework? Does he have time to go outside and play? I also asked when he (the dad) has time to mow the lawn." The dad just looked at me confused, didn't answer me, and walked away. Apparently I struck a nerve. Can't wait for that kid to have some sort of over-use injury later on since it's a constant grind for him. These types of over-use injuries are becoming pretty common-place in today's youth.

Sadly, these types of conversations are happening more and more.

We are indeed stretching these teens entirely too thin. They have way higher expectations than even 20 years ago in the early 2000s. For many, they have so many different activities going on, that they can't even get a job and know what it's like to work for your own money over the summer. We are raising a bunch of kids that will be burnt out after high school and be clueless to the value of a dollar.

The worst part is, it's not the kids' fault.....yet we adults will surely put the blame on them. It's the adults that are running these kids into the ground mentally and physically, and it's starting younger and younger.

I was just talking to another parent on my 8 year old's rec baseball team. This parent was talking about how their kid is on a 2nd baseball team, playing spring soccer, found a spring time basketball league of some sort and was thinking about scouts. I asked, "When does your kid do homework? Does he have time to go outside and play? I also asked when he (the dad) has time to mow the lawn." The dad just looked at me confused, didn't answer me, and walked away. Apparently I struck a nerve. Can't wait for that kid to have some sort of over-use injury later on since it's a constant grind for him. These types of over-use injuries are becoming pretty common-place in today's youth.

Sadly, these types of conversations are happening more and more.

You are 100% that adults need to make better decisions in regards to their children. It kills me that there is no more self-play from kids and everything has been "AAUized". What happened to the days of a group of friends playing touch football in their backyard or pickup games in a driveway or local basketball court. Now its weekend flag football or AAU tournaments with kids as young as 5. This absolutely killing communities and hurting high school participation numbers, and like you said, it is at no fault of the kids. 100% of the blame goes on parents and coaches for this.

You are 100% that adults need to make better decisions in regards to their children. It kills me that there is no more self-play from kids and everything has been "AAUized". What happened to the days of a group of friends playing touch football in their backyard or pickup games in a driveway or local basketball court. Now its weekend flag football or AAU tournaments with kids as young as 5. This absolutely killing communities and hurting high school participation numbers, and like you said, it is at no fault of the kids. 100% of the blame goes on parents and coaches for this.
And with all the injuries on the rise from the adults putting their children in these positions, why is this not child abuse? I bet that it would stop pretty quick.

Someone on my 11 year old's football team I literally just found out completely messed up his elbow due to playing too many sports. He's going to need at least 1 surgery, maybe more to correct it, and it may never be the same. It's not Tommy John, but the kid was a pitcher on multiple teams and was pitching 4-5 times per week because daddy wants his son to be a superstar. It's unbelievable what goes on anymore.

Where is the problem here other than in some adults head.? Kids can do a million things during the summer that are much more dangerous than some 7v7 Fb in shorts and t-shirts. Heck these fb related activities probably keeps many kids from otherwise doing things that might really endanger their health. As a parent keeping kids engaged and busy especially during the summer is the best preventative for keeping them safe and out of trouble.
I'd bet more serious injuries occur to teenage boys during the summer in non related sports activities than they do in summer conditioning and 7v7.
Heck even chasing girls during the summer is more dangerous than FB ..........

Maybe some self evaluation needs to be done if the only way for a kid to stay out of trouble is if he in under the direct supervision of an adult? Has the child ever been taught to decide right vs wrong and learned the consequences of wrong choices?

I remember being a kid and leaving the house after breakfast in the summer and not coming home until dinner. Lots of freedom to make my own choices during the day.

Last edited:
Maybe some self evaluation needs to be done if the only way for a kid to stay out of trouble is if he in under the direct supervision of an adult? Has the child ever been taught to decide right vs wrong and learned the consequences of wrong choices?

I remember being a kid and leaving the house after breakfast in the summer and not coming home until dinner. Lots of freedom to make my own choices during the day.
1977 was a long time ago and i know i ran around the summers of 72-77 .

And we made some good choices and not so good choices.

We got in most of our trouble between end of school year and the beginning of FB conditioning.

Once conditioning and 2 a days started it was eat, sleep and see the GF for a few hours . 13-18 year old boys will just naturally find trouble sooner or later or it finds them. And thats were some supervision and accountability comes in. I wouldn't want to be the parent nowadays who uses that 1977 parenting style to use as a explanation to some Karens why you'er boy made a a bad decision to you know learn by the consequences .

College is for doing all those other things.