Pinning the way through the state tournament process

cruiser_96

I’m sure it has happened, but who are some of the individuals who have pinned their way through sectional, district, & state??

I’m 99.999% positive 215: M. Shulaw (DeSales) did it this year.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Heskett may have done it. Pretty sure Luke Fickell did. Todd Darbyshire? There's been a few. Don't have sectional & district results though.
Randy Lewis pinned 47 consecutive. I'm sure thats been broken by now.

Last edited:
Joe Heskett may have done it. Pretty sure Luke Fickell did. Todd Darbyshire? There's been a few. Don't have sectional & district results though.
Randy Lewis pinned 47 consecutive. I'm sure thats been broken by now.
Heskett did it his junior year. He ran into Mark Becks his senior year finals and "only" won 7-2.

Fickell pinned his way through sectional, district and state his senior, with his longest match 2:20. In fact, in his 13 state matches he had 12 pins. Fickell's senior year he was 39-0 with 37 pins, 1 tech and only went the distance against the D1 champ.

I’m sure it has happened, but who are some of the individuals who have pinned their way through sectional, district, & state??

I’m 99.999% positive 215: M. Shulaw (DeSales) did it this year.

Thanks in advance.
Division II state champ Max Shulaw of DeSales won the Licking Valley sectional title match by default and the Norwalk district title by a 14-3 major decision. All the rest of his wins were by pins. Very impressive!

Which year? I also thought Andonian, was thinking his freshman year, but went back and looked and he had a tech and a forfeit at the district tournament and then had a tech at the sectionals.

The year he ironman0⁰nman

Which year? I also thought Andonian, was thinking his freshman year, but went back and looked and he had a tech and a forfeit at the district tournament and then had a tech at the sectionals.

Not sure. Maybe the same year he won ironman

Division II state champ Max Shulaw of DeSales won the Licking Valley sectional title match by default and the Norwalk district title by a 14-3 major decision. All the rest of his wins were by pins. Very impressive!
Thank you.

It appears he "only" pinned his way through the state tournament.

Good stuff. Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it.

Andonian pinned his way through the state tournament his freshman year but not sectionals and districts. His junior year he beat Boughman in the finals 14-10. The other two years he didn’t win a state title.

Sam Neider
St. Edward
The first to do it. I remember all the talk about it leading up to it. Wrestled CYO with him. I think Heskett was the next. I see people saying Fickell but he didn't. So. year at 189 7-2 finals. Junior year he beat John Stepic 10-0 in the semis. Remember that one because I was friends with John.

Heskett did it his junior year. He ran into Mark Becks his senior year finals and "only" won 7-2.

Fickell pinned his way through sectional, district and state his senior, with his longest match 2:20. In fact, in his 13 state matches he had 12 pins. Fickell's senior year he was 39-0 with 37 pins, 1 tech and only went the distance against the D1 champ.
You can watch his state championship match on YouTube. Brian Brakeman speaks very highly of him, calling him the best heavyweight he's ever seen.

I just watched Luke's senior state finals... Mr Brakeman stated the same facts while broadcasting the match.