PCY Senior Circuit Meet

ZfishInMason

Long course season is gearing up with a few meets already behind us. This coming weekend is the Senior Circuit Meet held at Powel Crosley YMCA. Looks like alot of the area's top swimmers will be participating including members of CAC, Clippers, Raiders, MantaRays, PCY, KAC and Mercy Healthplex. Lot's of kids are tired right now but the competition was great last year and we'll hopefully get more of the same this time around.

This meet is MUCH bigger than last year and I think we can expect to see some good racing. An extremely cold Friday night session though... plus outdoor! we'll see how that goes.

Any predictions?

This meet is MUCH bigger than last year and I think we can expect to see some good racing. An extremely cold Friday night session though... plus outdoor! we'll see how that goes.

Any predictions?

My predictions:

It's going to be cold, and Grant House will most likely sweep

Last night's recap: Some very fast swims considering the weather! A few I'd like to point out. 1. Cooper Hodge's 200 I.M. 2:09.2 in that weather, insanely fast. 2. Zoe Thatcher and Brendan Meyer's 400 frees. 4:33 and 4:13 respectively. 3. Zach Fisher's 50 freestyle with a 25.33. These swims are all incredible to me considering the temperature and precipitation. Plus it is early in the season. Let me add that last year at this meet (in the events i listed above) Hodge was a 2:12.8, Thatcher a 4:34, Meyer a 4:18, and Fisher a 25.48. Lots of improvement from last year, looking forward to seeing what these kids can go tapered.

Crummy weather save for Sunday afternoon (which was beautiful) and some very good swimming under the circumstances. In terms of performance, the swimmer of the meet in my mind was Brendan Meyer. Dominated the 1500 and 400 frees, beat Hodge in the 2fly, Rutter/Hove in the 2free, Skoufalos in the 100 back, and anchored the Clipper relays with very fast splits. Not sure if he had any rest (his teammates definitely looked more tired than he did), but if not, I expect some summer national cuts from him when he's tapered.

Despite his great performances though, I have to say that his choice not to acknowledge the runner's up in a number of races (eg Hodge, Skoufalos come to mind), who clearly leaned over to congratulate him on a great win, was really disappointing. Similarly, waiting for the final competitor (or in the case of the 1500, 6 other kids) to finish the race before jumping out to go dry off is the convention and good sportsmanship. On a weekend when the water was alot warmer than the air... I don't see the need to show the field up like that. I hope he squares that away because he's a very talented kid... I'd love to see him become the complete package by showing some respect to his opponents after a hard fought victory.

Overall, lots of strong swims from an elite field bodes well for the sectional and/or senior meets in July, particulary when we add in the kids from Countryside and the Marlins who weren't there. Once again, I think SW Ohio will be well represented on the bigger stages in swimming. Thanks to everyone at PCY for once again hosting a great meet!