Pan Am Qualifier

Quick draw reactions:

57kg- Gilman vs Ortega in the semis probably. Other side is weak for sure, Colombia probably the best wrestler
65kg- Zain vs Cuba in the finals most likely. Would be surprised if any other country qualifies.
86kg- Best four guys are on the short side- Cuba, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and USA. Good thing our guy is David Taylor. Would expect Peru or Jamaica from the other side, will be one of the weaker Olympic qualifiers of the year
125kg- Gwiz has Cuba and Puerto Rico in a pool, great shot to qualify. Think Canada/Oregon St/Ohio RTC's Amar Dhesi wins the other pool.

Greco with some tough draws. Think Hancock qualifies, that may be it. Wouldn't be shocked to see all our women qualify, which would be awesome (assuming there is an Olympics to qualify for).

From FLO
97kg - G'Angelo Hancock vs Luis Gerardo RIVERA ALVARADO (MEX)

And we're off! Hancock takes an 8-0 tech in just over a minute and a half. He got a takedown, big four point throw, and a gut wrench to finish it off.

97kg - G'Angelo Hancock vs Luillys Jose PEREZ MORA (VEN)
5-0 Hancock.

60kg - Ildar Hafizov vs Marat GARIPOV (BRA)
We have an American from Uzbekistan facing a Brazilian from Kazakhstan. The passive point proved huge as Ildar hit four consecutive gut wrenches! He wins 9-0 and is in the semis!

130kg - Adam Coon vs Yasmani Acosta Fernandes (CHI)
Coon is having a lot of trouble moving the Chilean, who is originally from Cuba. Acosta forces a stepout to take a 2-0 lead. Coon is awarded a Caution+2 as the officials are saying Acosta was going against the joint with his 2on1. That makes it 2-2 on criteria in favor of Coon heading into the break. Acosta holds on to win 3-2. America will not qualify 130kg this weekend. UGH!!! Acosta is a giant!

77kg - Pat Smith vs John Yeats (CAN) Smith wins, 8-0.

67kg - Sanchez wins, 7-1.

Rau
wins, 4-4 on criteria.

Hancock wins.

Last edited:
Semis

60kg:
Hafizov vs. Gurria Vigueras of Mexico

67kg: Sanchez vs. Lopez Salcedo of Mexico

77kg: Smith vs. Pena Flores of Cuba

87kg: Rau vs. Cousin Otomuro of Jamaica

97kg: Hancock vs. Mejia of Honduras

Can someone please tell me...in general.... did we lose international wrestling opportunities, events, headcount, participation, funding etc because of the increased presence of female wrestling? Has female wrestling had any negative affects for males?
TY,

Honestly an incredible day by Greco. Qualifying four wrestlers is so much more impressive than what I expected. Hafizov and Rau both had upset comeback wins, Sancho took advantage of a weight without Cuba, and Hancock looked great. Four Greco wrestlers is the same number that we qualified in 2016, and they qualified two at 2015 worlds then.

Best day for Greco in years and it was when they needed it most

AND we have some of the baddest women wrestlers in the world. We have little girls whose heros are women wrestlers. I believe those are good things.

Can someone please tell me...in general.... did we lose international wrestling opportunities, events, headcount, participation, funding etc because of the increased presence of female wrestling?
I'm gonna say, no. I'm certain some will argue, probably about the funding...
And again, If I knew anything, I'd be rich...

Last edited:
57kg - Helen Maroulis vs Linda Morais (CAN) Helen TF 12-2

62kg - Kayla Miracle vs Nathaly Josefina GRIMAN HERRERA (VEN) Kayla, FALL

53kg - Jacarra Winchester vs Lianna de la Caridad MONTERO HERRERA (CUB) Jacarra wins 6-2

Kayla Miracle vs Alejandra ROMERO BONILLA (MEX) Kayla, wins 5-1

57kg - Helen Maroulis vs Giullia RODRIGUES PENALBER DE OLIVEIRA (BRA) Helen wins 9-0

Last edited:
57kg - Helen Maroulis vs Linda Morais (CAN) Helen TF 12-2

62kg - Kayla Miracle vs Nathaly Josefina GRIMAN HERRERA (VEN) Kayla, FALL

53kg - Jacarra Winchester vs Lianna de la Caridad MONTERO HERRERA (CUB) Jacarra wins 6-2

Kayla Miracle vs Alejandra ROMERO BONILLA (MEX) Kayla, wins 5-1

57kg - Helen Maroulis vs Giullia RODRIGUES PENALBER DE OLIVEIRA (BRA) Helen winning 9-1 late in 2nd
That second Helen match was scary. Injury time about a minute in for her, didn't look like anything happened so I was for sure worried about her and her concussion history. Glad she was able to continue and win

That second Helen match was scary. Injury time about a minute in for her, didn't look like anything happened so I was for sure worried about her and her concussion history. Glad she was able to continue and win
I'm glad you're able to watch. There are only a handful of people in the world able to watch wrestling today. :)

AND now I'm one of them. $20 for the only wrestling around

Last edited:
Sarah 11-0 tech and qualifies the weight! This is the team USA needs to send I think. That's 6 medal contenders, even in an Olympic year.

Helen qualifies the weight as well!

Jacarra does the same with an 8-4 win!

And I missed Kayla but she won too, so that's all 6 womens weights qualified!!!

Last edited:
USA qualified 14/18 last Olympic cycle (13/18 excluding Molinaro), and has already qualified 12/18, with four men going tomorrow and Last Chance still available. Let's keep it going tomorrow with men's freestyle.

USA qualified 14/18 last Olympic cycle (13/18 excluding Molinaro), and has already qualified 12/18, with four men going tomorrow and Last Chance still available. Let's keep it going tomorrow with men's freestyle.
Why note Molinaro? Did he get in at the Last Chance?

I found it interesting that the US ladies all FF'ed in the finals. It didn't matter b/c they all Q'ed. But it was interesting. Is that a common occurrence at the Qualifiers?

Why note Molinaro? Did he get in at the Last Chance?
Because Molinaro went through both Last Chance qualifiers and didn't qualify, only getting in weeks later after a failed drug test.

To your other question, sometimes people do FF in the finals of the Last Chance. 4/6 women did in 2016, along with one Greco and one men's freestyle. You don't get rankings points and you've already qualified, so I can see why people don't want to wrestle, especially since it's a same day tourney.

I found it interesting that the US ladies all FF'ed in the finals. It didn't matter b/c they all Q'ed. But it was interesting. Is that a common occurrence at the Qualifiers?

Because Molinaro went through both Last Chance qualifiers and didn't qualify, only getting in weeks later after a failed drug test.
You don't get rankings points and you've already qualified, so I can see why people don't want to wrestle

Their job accomplished, I believe there just wasn't any upside to an extra match. They did what they came to do. AND everything Yank said.

57kg - Thomas Gilman
Round of 16:
10-0 over Ligrit Sadiku (CAN) in 2:42

65kg - Zain Retherford
Round of 16:
10-0 over Jose Rodriguez (PUR) in 2:16

125kg - Nick Gwiazdowski
Round Two:
10-0 over Zachary Merrill (PUR) in 1:00

DT wins 10-0. Thought he looked pretty sluggish in a TF... Yank?
Ceballos Fuentes and DT's next opponent from Cuba have wrestled him before and can stall with the best of them. Think he'll be fine against Cuba, and he'll have another month+ before trials to keep progressing