#PACtion™ 2024

Your Monday is now tuffer knowing this:

88433.jpeg

Last edited:
First off, please name the "extremely" good players at other schools that didn't meet CVCA's admission standards. Lol, sounds so CVCA. One of my sons, left CVCA after eighth grade, and went to Hoban due to the lack of football culture at CVCA. Started all four years, won three state titles, and graduated in 2018. He worked hard enough to be one of the best to ever play on Dowed Field. Absolutely loved the Hoban experience. Played D1 college, and now coaches on a Power 5 roster. CVCA didn't then, and still doesn't, have the resources to coach and develop that level of football talent. Stick to CVCA football, aka soccer. That's one student athlete post the 2016 class you mentioned. By the way, that 2016 was no more talented than any other class after. What are you talking about? Instead of taking shots at student athletes, you should take accountability. You and the rest of that coaching staff were directly responsible for their growth and production. The types of losses reflected the coaching staff. I will exclude Coach's Larlham and Duke. They actually knew what the hell they were doing. Yes, I was there, and know quite a bit about what was going on at CVCA then. Some terrible so-called leaders that completely yielded to the awful politics that fill that school. That leads me to my other son, who decided to stay at CVCA. Also, part of that no so good class of 2018 you referred to. That "weren't hard workers". He also, spent his entire youth playing the highest levels of football, along with two other sports. Also could have played at Hoban, and had great success, but decided to stay at CVCA for reasons outside of football. Needless to say, his sports career was ended early not by a physical injury, but mental. Between the political culture, and poor, or poorly trained coaches, his confidence was taken away. Been a very tough road since. Not blaming CVCA entirely, but a schools culture, especially one professing Christ, which includes teachers and coaches, should be helping students. Instead, the total opposite happened. So, Paction, take a look in the mirror before trashing student-athletes. You are part of the problem! CVCA will never win anything in football because the school doesn't truly invest into it in any way. The track and turf were put in for track, and most certainly soccer. Stop defending it and sure as hell don't blame the students.
Game Time Flag GIF by tillamook

Hold the phone - don't come to PACtion spewing BS about morality when everyone in the state knows the crap Hoban pulls and does with its football programs. I have first hand accounts from teachers who have been approached to change grades to keep kids eligible and let's not even get into the number of kids that play on the football team but are rarely seen walking the halls passed the first week of December not to mention ones that freaking live in a different state and are never seen or heard from again once the season ends.

You are totally right though - CVCA football will never be Hoban......and it's because they won't sell their souls to do it like Hoban does....

Hold the phone - don't come to PACtion spewing BS about morality when everyone in the state knows the crap Hoban pulls and does with its football programs. I have first hand accounts from teachers who have been approached to change grades to keep kids eligible and let's not even get into the number of kids that play on the football team but are rarely seen walking the halls passed the first week of December not to mention ones that freaking live in a different state and are never seen or heard from again once the season ends.

You are totally right though - CVCA football will never be Hoban......and it's because they won't sell their souls to do it like Hoban does....
Important to add "like Hoban does", still have sold their souls

Let's see....the City of Akron's population is dwindling, there is little to no business growth to speak of....downtown Akron is dead....a major employer, First Energy, is up to its eyeballs in a bribery scandal involving the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, Liddle Mikey DeWine, and the human Ken doll, Lt. Gov Jon Husted, the Akron public schools are a hot mess, crime is bad, the highway system is an erector set of a mess and will never get fixed, your so-called celebrity civic leader LeBron James invests in a charter school that has 0% passing grades in math....but.....

HEY BRO HOW 'BOUT ST V & HOBAN!

Akron has a culture problem of misplaced priorities and bonehead decisions permeating most, if not all, of its institutions.

The further CVCA stays away from that cultural problem, the better for them, and that is partially why I believe they are looking "north" in the new conference they are joining (although Canton Central Catholic is an intriguing candidate for that league IMO).

Last edited:
The way things are going, will the BIG 12 even be a power conference in the future. Waiting to see if the ACC implodes.
Is there anyone in the Big 12 that would be on the short list for expansion?
Utah has been lightly mentioned for the Big Ten.

The next round of action IMO is the ACC moving schools into the other three conferences.

Louisville makes sense for the Big 12 as they'd reunite with their old rival UC.

Pitt in the Big 12 gets them back together with West Virginia.

Clemson, Florida State, UNC, Duke are up for grabs between the Big 10 and SEC.

Not sure where Syracuse and BC go but there's a market for them. Likely in the Big 10.

Hopefully Cal Berkeley never ever joins the Big 10.

The next round of action IMO is the ACC moving schools into the other three conferences.

Louisville makes sense for the Big 12 as they'd reunite with their old rival UC.

Not sure where Syracuse and BC go but there's a market for them. Likely in the Big 10.

I am so fed up with D1 football with all the nonsense. But if Syracuse and BC end up in the B10 and Pitt gets regulated to the B12 which would be a noticeable drop from B10/SEC then I will truly be done with D1 football. They are better off getting rid of all conferences and just separating into a new league of the roughly 60 teams that have always had a seat at the table.

Regulated to the Big 12 because the Sec and Big 10 probably don't want them,
Syracuse and BC are the same as Washington State and Oregon State. The rest of the ACC you didn't mention? Where do they go? The ACC with Clemson, Florida State and Miami in Football and Duke and North Carolina in basketball have some upper tier programs. Who is upper tier in the Big 12 with Oklahoma and Texas gone?

They are better off getting rid of all conferences and just separating into a new league of the roughly 60 teams that have always had a seat at the table.
This^

They are better off getting rid of all conferences and just separating into a new league of the roughly 60 teams that have always had a seat at the table.
For football, yeah. I think the whole idea conferences needs to be reexamined. For non-football, they still have great value, especially for low-revenue sports that can't afford (or don't want) to travel cross-country all the time. But for football, a shakeup might be necessary.

For football, yeah. I think the whole idea conferences needs to be reexamined. For non-football, they still have great value, especially for low-revenue sports that can't afford (or don't want) to travel cross-country all the time. But for football, a shakeup might be necessary.
Agree. I was talking about it strictly from a football standpoint. I know Yinz realizes the major issues with college football/sports right now, but I am going to assume the great majority of you are fans of Ohio St. Let me tell you how the other half (Pitt fans and schools like Pitt) live. We used to pretend that we could compete, and if the stars aligned, we were able to. Now we know we have no chance to. The morale of these type of program's fan bases is very low right now. Seeing that your school does not have a seat at the table that matters kills. The idea that it is yearly free agency means your best players will not be there the next season more than likely. Hell even in baseball if a 10th rounder outperforms their rookie contract, you have them for at least 3 years. Being a Ohio St/Mich/Penn St/Texas/Bama/Etc fan, you don't see how bad it is, because those type of schools can pay the going rate.

I am holding my nose a little. If a person told me just 5 years ago pre-Covid I would watch as little football as I do, I would never have believed them. It is worse than pro sports and I do not have the interest to follow it as closely as I used to. Back in the day I was the kind of guy who watched the Thursday College game, went to an HS game on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday all day watching football, then MNF. Now I watch Pitt and Steelers and if I have nothing else I will watch but I generally find something better to do. I can't tell you the last time I watched MNF that was not a Steelers game.

They will make that league like the G League.....the NBA tv contract is up this year....only averaging a million viewers and the commissioner wants 24 billion dollars....the NFL is going to play 2 games on Christmas Day....finally the tv networks may not offer the big money....then what happens to the G league and the NBA

Agree. I was talking about it strictly from a football standpoint. I know Yinz realizes the major issues with college football/sports right now, but I am going to assume the great majority of you are fans of Ohio St. Let me tell you how the other half (Pitt fans and schools like Pitt) live. We used to pretend that we could compete, and if the stars aligned, we were able to. Now we know we have no chance to. The morale of these type of program's fan bases is very low right now. Seeing that your school does not have a seat at the table that matters kills. The idea that it is yearly free agency means your best players will not be there the next season more than likely. Hell even in baseball if a 10th rounder outperforms their rookie contract, you have them for at least 3 years. Being a Ohio St/Mich/Penn St/Texas/Bama/Etc fan, you don't see how bad it is, because those type of schools can pay the going rate.

I am holding my nose a little. If a person told me just 5 years ago pre-Covid I would watch as little football as I do, I would never have believed them. It is worse than pro sports and I do not have the interest to follow it as closely as I used to. Back in the day I was the kind of guy who watched the Thursday College game, went to an HS game on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday all day watching football, then MNF. Now I watch Pitt and Steelers and if I have nothing else I will watch but I generally find something better to do. I can't tell you the last time I watched MNF that was not a Steelers game.
You are correct....so they put the big boys in a league...then have the rest be the NCAA...kind of like Div 2. Bring in a CBA and limit transfer portal activity....you are not guaranteed a 4 year scholarship....you have to earn it every year...tell the Div 2 players that they can earn their way to big league by their play and be reviewed after the season...by doing this will limit some of the recruiting crap that goes on.... Then hope the fans will follow what will become Pro Football Lite...if not the NCAA has imploded by not being proactive. With all this large money and the assistants at Ohio State getting 2 million a year....the players have to be compensated.... yet this all hinges on if the fans will follow what they hope will be rivalry's like in the past.

Yes the Oregon Short Line was a short line rail spur that ran through Rogue's Hollow connecting coal mines to the Warwick rail yard. If you know you know.
Rogue's Hallow is an interesting read if you want to look it up - sounds like we had a little of the ole west right here

I hear ya on the lack of satisfaction watching D1 football, Mike. I love bowl season mostly because it falls during the time of year that these is very little else to distract & the games can be entertaining.

Let me propose another alternative for you - NCAA D3. You've got some good teams in the greater Pittsburgh area (Grove City, Wash & Jeff, Carnegie Mellon). If you love football, there's something very refreshing about watching a D3 game in that 1) the "play Timmy" parents you hear at high school games seem to have gotten the message that Timmy stinks and 2) the quality of game/athletes is REALLY good.

Sure you could watch 100 games and not see 1 guy who'll make it to the NFL, but you'll see an awful lot of dudes who love football playing at a much higher level than you'll see on Friday night.

And then you can still get home in time to fall asleep watching whatever "big time" game is on tv. ; )

I already have. Russell Frey wrote a book back in the '50's and you can read it online.
I will be looking up today - had a fella at work tell me about it (he lives just outside doylestown) tells me there is really good pizza shop only open select hours over there that serves Warsteiner dark.

I will be reading- much obliged

@Rich Kotite: The ACC Grant of Rights technically keeps the conference together through 2036. Then all bets are off.

Now having said that, first FSU and then Clemson have sued the ACC in an attempt to extricate themselves from the said Grant of Rights document that they signed, because the TV dollars are no longer competitive and in FSU's case, because they are bent out of shape that they got passed over for the College Football Playoff last year.

I've seen all kinds of crazy things about when/if the ACC implodes, but it's going to take a fleet of Brinks Trucks in cash to get Clemson and FSU out.

Now having said all of that ... a CFB Super League backed by private equity is one of those crazy ideas:

And now ... back to regularly scheduled PACtion™...

I hear ya on the lack of satisfaction watching D1 football, Mike. I love bowl season mostly because it falls during the time of year that these is very little else to distract & the games can be entertaining.

Let me propose another alternative for you - NCAA D3. You've got some good teams in the greater Pittsburgh area (Grove City, Wash & Jeff, Carnegie Mellon). If you love football, there's something very refreshing about watching a D3 game in that 1) the "play Timmy" parents you hear at high school games seem to have gotten the message that Timmy stinks and 2) the quality of game/athletes is REALLY good.

Sure you could watch 100 games and not see 1 guy who'll make it to the NFL, but you'll see an awful lot of dudes who love football playing at a much higher level than you'll see on Friday night.

And then you can still get home in time to fall asleep watching whatever "big time" game is on tv. ; )
This is my life right now. PACtion™ on Friday nights. CCIW Football in Illinois, Wisconsin and Missouri on Saturday afternoons. It's that getting home on Saturday night part that has been the challenge.

Grove City, Carnegie Mellon and Washington & Jefferson all offer an alternative Saturday afternoon flavor of PACtion™ on fall Saturdays, as part of the D3 President's Athletic Conference. Grove City and Carnegie Mellon have been the two best in that conference. All three have rosters that are littered with some of the best from Northeast Ohio.

Regulated to the Big 12 because the Sec and Big 10 probably don't want them,

Syracuse and BC are the same as Washington State and Oregon State. The rest of the ACC you didn't mention? Where do they go? The ACC with Clemson, Florida State and Miami in Football and Duke and North Carolina in basketball have some upper tier programs. Who is upper tier in the Big 12 with Oklahoma and Texas gone?

This^
The powers that be look at it as business markets and purely financial. The onfield competition is gravy. The Big Ten or SEC are thinking of financially lucrative geographic markets (# of television viewers) to add. Los Angeles & Seattle = money. Oregon + Nike = money. Oklahoma & Texas to the SEC = money. Eventually markets like Phoenix will be added by someone and the ACC schools will find a home....somewhere.

As for academics.....that's a laughable joke to the powers that be. Even the so-called "good kids who go to class" these days are often unemployable.

College football has largely become unwatchable as I've posted it before and will again....it's the Fox Sports "Joel Klatt" Big Ten and the ESPN-ABC-SEC "Paul Finebaum" cartel running the show.

I see 3 big divisions as the next wave of never-ending changes as the ACC and Big 12 will join forces in some form after the Joel Klatt Big 10 takes what they want and the Paul Finebaum SEC take what they want. I think it sucks. It's all based on TV money and "adding markets" full of TV viewers.

What's unfortunate is the largess of cash has covered up true incompetence in our university system and is paying for the administrative bloat. Defenders of Gene Smith will say "look at how the money at Ohio State has grown under his watch" and ignore the lazy coaching hires and questionable decisions. A drunken Real Housewife of Beverly Hills could have hired Urban Meyer if presented with the information.

I'm just going to post this......

Last edited: