#PACtion™ 2024

Just my theory on all of the league talk, which leads to frustration from some:

The weather for the last couple of weeks has been dreary and depressing. People are staying inside and everyone's bored.

Bottom line....we're all bored, grouchy, and gloomy.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel....April 9th.....10:10 and 10:20....Turkeyfoot Holeeee Lands....bring your dimpled rock!

I think Koach would be a great choice but I don't see that happening.

I'll give you another name, only my thought on who would do a great job. No, I haven't heard anything nor have I talked to this person, so bury that.

I'd ask Doc Robinson from Manchester to take on the Commissioner job. He's a retired Manchester Superintendent that came back to fill in at Manchester at the same position on an interim basis, should wrap up this summer. He's been a wrestling head coach and as the Defensive Coordinator he is THE guy that perfected the Manchester defense that you guys have been reading about in @cuyahogacuse's weekly series. He knows how it all works and would be a great leader. Note to Gary Woods - get it done.
Best suggestion I have read even with Fransico Franco convening on a hill that saw no snow this year!

Also a water level update.....Zoar Golf is open but strictly cart path only....Wilkshire holes 12 and 13 are underwater again...these are the holes you can see from I 77

I think Koach would be a great choice but I don't see that happening.

I'll give you another name, only my thought on who would do a great job. No, I haven't heard anything nor have I talked to this person, so bury that.

I'd ask Doc Robinson from Manchester to take on the Commissioner job. He's a retired Manchester Superintendent that came back to fill in at Manchester at the same position on an interim basis, should wrap up this summer. He's been a wrestling head coach and as the Defensive Coordinator he is THE guy that perfected the Manchester defense that you guys have been reading about in @cuyahogacuse's weekly series. He knows how it all works and would be a great leader. Note to Gary Woods - get it done.
Love this idea. Not because I know Doc, but because he's got an established reputation of leadership. Like @cuyahogacuse stated a few pages ago, that's what is missing from PACtion2024™ - LEADERSHIP. Part of what has made the league great is how close & yet how different all of the schools are. But someone still has to pull them together. You don't have to be in any of the league meetings to know that area is lacking. It's more than obvious from the outside.

Side note - Appreciation to @ShootNation. You throw out a few "I'm hearing" posts and we grab 2 pages overnight. For all the Carrollton jokes (and there are a TON of them), inane banter like that is what's kept this thread 30 pages ahead of our neighbors orange & black kitty thread that usually leads this forum.

tipping derek jeter GIF

Also a water level update.....Zoar Golf is open but strictly cart path only....Wilkshire holes 12 and 13 are underwater again...these are the holes you can see from I 77
6 more hours of rain on Weds and @thePITman was going to need a canoe to commute from Triway to Orrville

Heard Wayne County fairgrounds sold spots for people to watch the eclipse. No word on if that includes water wings. (Also - nothing describes the post-COVID world better than PAYING FOR A PLACE TO LOOK AT THE SUN!)

I haven't but that should be a good market for a studio. It's the most underrated exercise. It can get quite difficult if you want it to be.
I "insanely" did the insanity workout videos (similar to P90X) two complete times in my life. Once in my late 20's or early 30's and again during the heart of Covid when the world shut down and shortly after teams where not shaking hands after games yet playing LOL and I have to say, the yoga portions of those workouts were quite frankly one of the toughest parts.

6 more hours of rain on Weds and @thePITman was going to need a canoe to commute from Triway to Orrville

Heard Wayne County fairgrounds sold spots for people to watch the eclipse. No word on if that includes water wings. (Also - nothing describes the post-COVID world better than PAYING FOR A PLACE TO LOOK AT THE SUN!)
Life before COVID...priceless...life after COVID...watching videos with people wearing masks...quite distracting...lol...also me being medical and going into the OR...was really amazed they found masks did not work here...idea was to protect the patient from the OR staff...and with meta analysis found is not a benefit...only reason to wear them now is to protect staff from possible splash back...now I do think a N 95 with proper fitting may be a benefit...am not sure if they studied these masks as of yet...but to wear that type of mask is very difficult after 20 minutes

Life before COVID...priceless...life after COVID...watching videos with people wearing masks...quite distracting...lol...also me being medical and going into the OR...was really amazed they found masks did not work here...idea was to protect the patient from the OR staff...and with meta analysis found is not a benefit...only reason to wear them now is to protect staff from possible splash back...now I do think a N 95 with proper fitting may be a benefit...am not sure if they studied these masks as of yet...but to wear that type of mask is very difficult after 20 minutes
amy.png

Crazy Amy Acton has announced her home school district, the Bexley Lions, are applying to PACtion™ as school #8 and she'll serve as PACtion™ Commissioner because she believes PACtion™ is more than a fever, it's an asymptomatic spread.

side note

how convenient was it that COVID assisted the OHSAA in finding a way to water down the football tournament and produce more $ for their coffers. They took making the playoffs from being a special thing to work towards to a meaningless first week of tons of blowouts.

now
back to PACtion™

One of my top 5 Covid procedures was when things started backup for sports and whether it was football or baseball or whatever, they were allowed to play, but then no handshake afterwards and during travel ball kids had to wear their masks while in the dugout. Same with wrestling, at the time, I remember being on the floor of the Covelli center for grade school OAC states, spring of '21 having to wear a mask, such ridiculousness! On the other hand, Doctors used to smoke while visiting with their patients (real life and movies) so what do I know

This is this week's theme song for all of the PACtion™ league rumors:

My GF will get 10 hours of this great music on the way to Wrightsville Beach this June and I'll still get to use the beach house for free.

One of my top 5 Covid procedures was when things started backup for sports and whether it was football or baseball or whatever, they were allowed to play, but then no handshake afterwards and during travel ball kids had to wear their masks while in the dugout. Same with wrestling, at the time, I remember being on the floor of the Covelli center for grade school OAC states, spring of '21 having to wear a mask, such ridiculousness! On the other hand, Doctors used to smoke while visiting with their patients (real life and movies) so what do I know
I smoke more cigars than Sir Winston Churchill and my favorite state other than Ohio is Kentucky because their economy is built around tobacco, gambling, fried chicken, and booze.

Tobacco, gambling, fried chicken and booze also sounds like Barberton.....

hey man - Bass player John Cowan from Minerva played with the Doobie Bros for a spell

more useless information for us all to consume - but it demonstrates the greatness of PACtion™

its worth it - the doobs Black Water was always my fav

PACtion™

hey man - Bass player John Cowan from Minerva played with the Doobie Bros for a spell

more useless information for us all to consume - but it demonstrates the greatness of PACtion™

its worth it - the doobs Black Water was always my fav

PACtion™
What if Michael McDonald once appeared in Minerva? That's next level tuffness.

I smoke more cigars than Sir Winston Churchill and my favorite state other than Ohio is Kentucky because their economy is built around tobacco, gambling, fried chicken, and booze.

Tobacco, gambling, fried chicken and booze also sounds like Barberton.....
I'm slowly learning about the whiskey/bourbon game, which is to say that someone in my tiny circle of friends that knows what their talking about tells me what to order I go with it.

I'm slowly learning about the whiskey/bourbon game, which is to say that someone in my tiny circle of friends that knows what their talking about tells me what to order I go with it.
I learned as a kid about bourbon when my dad and his Brewster/Cleveland railroad working buddies (the Brewster yard had a change of ownership due to a railroad merger and sent most of the Brewster guys to Cleveland) took me along for backpacking/camping trips in the West Virginia mountains.

They'd sit along the campfire and drink Wild Turkey 101 and then shoot guns. Sometimes they'd get attacked by snakes (well, that was Tennessee). It was very 1982 American tuff.

It all sounds like Carrollton in 2024.

Throw in donuts & you've accounted for 95% of the joy in my life
It's great and I actually love Barberton but, yes, you can tell some jokes about The Magic City. It's a great Ohio industrial town with a love of sports and food. I love it when the Magics play the big Stark County teams especially Massillon but those games are only strategically scheduled these days. Back in the old days it was just more of a common thing.

You'd think with the more wide open playoff system in Ohio these teams would let their hair down more and schedule these games but the adults in charge are a tuff nut to crack.

We're just here to comment and enjoy this sport....which is still great!

And yes I have a soft spot for Northwest and want that old Tuslaw vs Northwest rivalry back! Let's go Coach Dial!

There's history about Tuslaw vs Northwest that the game got so heated with vandalism of each other's stadiums in the 80's that the adults threw a fit and dropped the game.

There's passion in that game that I believe will resurface and Tuslaw needs to bring it and make the Northwest game great again.

I'm not calling on vandalism of stadiums but there is a passion there waiting to happen. Tuslaw vs Northwest was a big deal back in my day and Tuslaw needs to look at those Crooked Canal Fulton Indians and go after it! And bring Dalton back on the schedule somehow, some way. Have a Henry Kissinger peace treaty diplomatic meeting at Dutch Kitchen.

If I rag on you, you're a good opponent!

Last edited:
This is this week's theme song for all of the PACtion™ league rumors:

My GF will get 10 hours of this great music on the way to Wrightsville Beach this June and I'll still get to use the beach house for free.
Time to enlighten...all music has to have this guy in their collection! JJ Grey and Mofro.....She is on Fire!

PAC Game of the Year - 2004 | Tuslaw (2-1, 0-0 PAC) at Manchester (2-0, 0-0 PAC) | Week 4 | September 17, 2004
This is the sixth in an ongoing series, highlighting the PAC Game of the Year in each season, from 1999 through 2023, which will lead up to the start of the 2024 high school football season. For a look back at prior summaries, click here for 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003.

When they rolled out the 2004 schedules, it's safe to say, nobody anticipated the PAC Game of the Year to be the conference opener at James R. France Stadium in Week 4. In fact, in looking at the game stories for September 17, 2004, the featured PAC game of the week that week was a battle of unbeatens. CVCA, coming off that 9-1 regular season campaign and first playoff appearance the prior year, picked up where they left off and took a 3-0 record on the road to Coventry. The Comets - winless the prior year - had opened the season with three straight convincing wins over Norton, Norwayne and Cloverleaf. And on this Friday night, The Akron Beacon Journal dedicated a third of a page to this showdown on the opening night of conference play. The host Comets cruised to a surprisingly easy 31-14 victory behind four touchdowns from Joe Slabaugh to move to 4-0.

But while CVCA and Coventry got top billing on the third Friday in September of 2004, neither was a factor at the end of the season. The Royals fell back to 6-4 (2-4) to finish fifth in a 7-team PAC. Coventry posted a very good rebound season, but finished 3-3 down the stretch to wrap up the season 7-3 (3-3) and finish third in the standings.

So while most eyes were on the matchup at Coventry's Veterans Memorial Stadium, the true PAC Game of the Year was happening 4.9 miles south, just off Route 93. Of course it was at James R. France Stadium. And of course, it involved Manchester. The conference unbeaten streak was now at eight full seasons, and this time, it was Tuslaw who came into Manchester, with hopes of knocking off the Panthers.

Manchester opened the season with a 33-0 shutout of Mogadore. Week 2 saw the Panthers defeat something called the Columbus Crusaders in a game that did not count toward OHSAA playoff standings, and then the Panthers turned aside Smithville 42-28 in Week 3. The Tuslaw game was the fourth straight home game to start the season. Tuslaw had endured a trio of mediocre seasons by turn of the century Mustangs' standards (7-3 in 2000, 3-7 in 2001 and 6-4 in 2002). But this was a community that did not have to harken back too far to remember three straight 9-1 seasons from 1998-2000. And rest assured that no one had to remind the Mustangs that the "1" in each of those great years was ... Manchester.

There is no doubt that the Tuslaw had the 2004 PAC season opener circled on their calendar, after opening with three straight WCAL matchups (wins over Rittman and Chippewa sandwiched around a one-score defeat to Dalton.

What we do know about that Week 4 Friday night is field conditions - always fair in the best of times - had to be most challenging that night in New Franklin. Up the road at Coventry, The Beacon Journal described the challenge that befell the players in Northeast Ohio on that early fall night. "With standing water serving as mini-pools along the home sideline, leftover from an all-day rain, players splish-spashed their way through the chilly evening."

Naturally, on a night like that, ground and pound should have been the order of the day. And for the most part it was. Manchester ran 40 times for 183 yards on the night, while the Mustangs slogged out 139 yards on the soggy Manchester turf on 28 rushing attempts of their own.

But it was the Panthers' Travis Gregory who opened the scoring in the first quarter, when he tossed a 17-yard touchdown pass to junior Phil Parton to put the hosts up 7-0. After a 3-yard run by junior fullback Greg Hooper in the second quarter, Manchester doubled its lead to 14-0.

But then the game took a turn. Tuslaw didn't fold. They didn't buckle. The Mustangs punched back. A 28-yard scoring run got the Mustangs on the board before the half. Tuslaw tied it on a 48-yard run by quarterback Brian Williams in the third quarter, and when Jeremy Triner found paydirt on a 10-yard touchdown run early in the fourth, the long Panthers conference win streak appeared to be in jeopardy.

Choose your own metaphor. There was still time on the clock. The last nail was not yet in the coffin. The Panthers' heart was still beating. And like Lucy and Charlie Brown with the football, this act had been seen before - just two years earlier in fact. Here's an excerpt from the 2002 Game of the Year Post:
What came next came deep from the Trickeration Bag of head coach Jim France. The 1981 Dolphins had Strock to Harris to Nathan in the famous Hook and Ladder play against the Chargers. Twenty years later, the Manchester Panthers drew up Swain to Calvert to Feesler. Perhaps Tusky Valley should have seen it coming. Manchester ran the same play a week before against Tuslaw. But they didn't. Josh Feesler crossed the goal line, and that stingy Panthers defense held.

Looking at a one-score deficit on a sloppy and chilly night, Koach dialed up the same play. This time, the protagonists were quarterback Travis Gregory, receiver Keith Carrier and Josh Fagen. The three connected - again - on The Hook and Ladder for a 33-yard scoring strike and Manchester drew even with 4:42 to play.

After the Panthers defense forced a punt, Parton rumbled 34 yards for the winning score. The conversion failed but Manchester tacked on a safety for the final margin. The Panthers streak continued. Tuslaw was foiled again. Final Score: Manchester 29 Tuslaw 21.

The Postscript

Tuslaw rebounded from the Manchester setback and reeled off six straight wins to finish the regular season at 8-2 (5-1) for their best showing in the PAC since 2000. The season ended in Week 11, when the Mustangs dropped a 28-6 decision as a 7-seed in the Division 4 Region 13 Regional Quarterfinal at Chagrin Falls.

Manchester was not as defensively dominant as in prior years. They had one-score games with Tusky Valley, CVCA and Fairless. But they won them all and were a perfect 9-0 heading into the postseason - again as the 1-seed in Division 4 Region 13. But history has a way of repeating itself, and the season ended in another Week 11 "upset" at the hands of Youngstown Ursuline, who again came to New Franklin - just as they had two years earlier - and left with a 21-3 victory. Manchester had no reason to hang their heads. It was another undefeated regular season and nine straight years without tasting defeat in a PAC contest.

A Bonus

Sometimes, when researching for these recaps, you find something that is just too good not to share. Tuslaw's Jeremy Triner got a brief mention in the story above, when his touchdown run gave the Mustangs a short-lived lead. Do yourself a favor and read about his homecoming from Afghanistan in 2011. The Mustangs may not have won on the field back in Week 4 of 2004, but we are all winners because of the bravery and service of Marines like this Mustangs Alum. Oorah!

Manchester-Tuslaw_2004_Story.png

1712261791012.png

Last edited:
Tuffness is coming in '24 at BellStores Stadium. This is what Crooked Canal Fulton has waiting for them. The Meadowlake Maulers defense will be a thing. We are deporting all the Manchester illegals. We are slapping a 300% tariff on opponents.

PACtion™ has you getting all fired up, but pardon a question....

do you attack pastries with the same tuffness and vigor?

and if so, alone and/or if you are with others?