#PACtion™ 2024

First I quit trying to understand...second at the game...get Skyline...I am in!
Both Xavier and UC offer Skyline. The Bengals were Gold Star until last season. Skyline got the Bengals chili deal last season. Gold Star might be dragged down due to buying out the sinking ship known as Tom + Chee. Just look them up from Shark Tank.

Tom + Chee is the Joe Charboneau of restaurant chains. 😂

Like Phil Here Today, Gone To-Mauro....that's Tom + Chee. A one hit wonder like Gary Glitter. Not built to last.

Cincinnati chili is all good to me. I like both Skyline and Gold Star which some people out in Triway named @thePITman don't understand.

Last edited:
That Tuslaw levy was failing until the Dial hire....to ignore that truth is just irresponsible. :cool:
Word on the street is Meadowlake Estates was happy with the hiring of Broc Dial. That's the heart of The Slaw.

Dalton was the old world football game of note (so was Northwest and Fairless...all those games mattered) and while people were upset that The Slaw dropped the Bulldogs....hiring away their football coach won a lot of points.

The intersection of Wooster Street and Kenyon Avenue is the Slaw Center and intellectual heartbeat of the school district. Kenyon Creek borders Meadowlake. It's old guard neighboring the new guard.

Meadowlake even has a fight song:

Last edited:
Oh the days of The Pizza Parlor in Dalton......my dad and I would read all the Sunday newspapers for NFL coverage and get a pizza in Dalton. We'd watch the NFL all Sunday. Friends would join us or I'd go over to their Elms Acres football basement bunker or down on Sarbaugh where football was on the menu and so were one on one basketball games.

The AFC Central was tuff back then in the 1980's and life was good & simple.

There wasn't a weak team among Cincy, Cleveland, Houston or Pittsburgh. Everyone was kinda 8-8/9-7 because the teams beat up on each other. The real exceptions were the 86 Browns and 88 Bengals.

Fairless back then had a very loyal pocket of Steeler fans in Brewster at the railroad and around the village. My dad got a kick out of those fans.
It was always Shreve Pizza Parlor for me growing up.

The 1989 Browns put a whooping on the steelers that year 51-0. I remember being at the Wayne County fair then driving home listening to it (still sucks they wont be doing this anymore) on 104.5 with Nev Chandler and Doug Dieken on the call.

It was always Shreve Pizza Parlor for me growing up.
Bruce Harwood Happy Cry GIF

I had 3 phone numbers memorized when I was a kid:
1. Time & Temp (330-264-3121; I still use this when filling out forms that ask for a phone number)
2. Video Express (knew our customer # by heart, too)
3. Shreve Pizza Parlor

Bruce Harwood Happy Cry GIF

I had 3 phone numbers memorized when I was a kid:
1. Time & Temp (330-264-3121; I still use this when filling out forms that ask for a phone number)
I like number 1......lol

I have been to Shreve once....went there with friends from Wooster to an old bar that was in town located near some railroad tracks in the 90's, the bartender she had a better mustache then I could ever have...lol..thats all I remember...not because of being over served...but because it was like 30 freakin years ago...lol

I like number 1......lol

I have been to Shreve once....went there with friends from Wooster to an old bar that was in town located near some railroad tracks in the 90's, the bartender she had a better mustache then I could ever have...lol..thats all I remember...not because of being over served...but because it was like 30 freakin years ago...lol
The IGA in Shreve always looked tuff.

The Amish restaurant there years ago was good. Not sure now as I haven't been there in years.

The IGA in Shreve always looked tuff.

The Amish restaurant there years ago was good. Not sure now as I haven't been there in years.
Scheck's IGA is now called Sweethaven, and it's still... tuff... for the lack of better words. LoL Of course now there's a Dollar General that shares the parking lot.

Des Dutch Essenhaus' breakfast buffet is/was good. But I don't know much else about it. I've only been there maybe twice, plus a rehearsal dinner.

Fun story about Des Dutch Essenhaus... The owner's daughter was in my grade and one of my friends growing up. She went on to be a Division I tennis player and is now the head coach of a college women's tennis program in Ohio. Anyway, back then, TPing was the big thing, and her family was out of town for a few days, so the natural thing to do was to TP their really nice property just outside of Shreve.

543 rolls of TP, 4 boxes of tissues, 2 rolls of saran wrap, 1 box of plastic forks, 1 roll of duct tape, and 1 hour 45 minutes later, we had completed our masterpiece. All their trees, the rows of pine trees lining the driveway, the fence around their tennis court, the inground swimming pool, the front porch, the roof of the massive house... all covered! There may or may not have been video evidence to document the mission. But I think my favorite part of the whole thing may have been the looks we received walking down the aisle in Walmart with a train of shopping carts stacked high with cases of toilet paper.

Unbeknownst to us, when they arrived home from vacation the following day, they had a big party planned that they had to cancel. Haha! However, we learned a lesson: Never take girls with you when you go TPing. They tend not to keep secrets. It was during baseball season, so the dad called our baseball coach and complained about it, saying that we kids should have better things to do, like focus on our grades. ROFL! I guess he didn't know that we had three 4.0 students among the group, including the class president and a future doctor.

Our coach (RIP) "talked to us" 'cuz he had to, but in reality he laughed as he asked, "Did you really use 500 rolls? That might have been a little excessive. Anyway, I said I'd talk to you, so I'm talking to you." Apparently they claimed after it rained the next day, it clogged all their gutters and drainage system. Oops!

Melissa Villasenor Oops GIF by Saturday Night Live

I have been to Shreve once....went there with friends from Wooster to an old bar that was in town located near some railroad tracks in the 90's
Another fun story. Apparently, if you take some wire and connect certain parts of the railroad tracks halfway between two of the crossings, you can force the crossing bars to go down and up whenever you want. There may or may not have been video evidence to document that mission, as well.

Good Luck Charlie What GIF

Last edited:
Scheck's IGA is now called Sweethaven, and it's still... tuff... for the lack of better words. LoL Of course now there's a Dollar General that shares the parking lot.

Des Dutch Essenhaus' breakfast buffet is/was good. But I don't know much else about it. I've only been there maybe twice, plus a rehearsal dinner.

Fun story about Des Dutch Essenhaus... The owner's daughter was in my grade and one of my friends growing up. She went on to be a Division I tennis player and is now the head coach of a college women's tennis program in Ohio. Anyway, back then, TPing was the big thing, and her family was out of town for a few days, so the natural thing to do was to TP their really nice property just outside of Shreve.

543 rolls of TP, 4 boxes of tissues, 2 rolls of saran wrap, 1 box of plastic forks, 1 roll of duct tape, and 1 hour 45 minutes later, we had completed our masterpiece. All their trees, the rows of pine trees lining the driveway, the fence around their tennis court, the inground swimming pool, the front porch, the roof of the massive house... all covered! There may or may not have been video evidence to document the mission. But I think my favorite part of the whole thing may have been the looks we received walking down the aisle in Walmart with a train of shopping carts stacked high with cases of toilet paper.

Unbeknownst to us, when they arrived home from vacation the following day, they had a big party planned that they had to cancel. Haha! However, we learned a lesson: Never take girls with you when you go TPing. They tend not to keep secrets. It was during baseball season, so the dad called our baseball coach and complained about it, saying that we kids should have better things to do, like focus on our grades. ROFL! I guess he didn't know that we had three 4.0 students among the group, including the class president and a future doctor.

Our coach (RIP) "talked to us" 'cuz he had to, but in reality he laughed as he asked, "Did you really use 500 rolls? That might have been a little excessive. Anyway, I said I'd talk to you, so I'm talking to you." Apparently they claimed after it rained the next day, it clogged all their gutters and drainage system. Oops!

Another fun story. Apparently, if you take some wire and connect certain parts of the railroad tracks halfway between two of the crossings, you can force the crossing bars to go down and up whenever you want. There may or may not have been video evidence to document that mission, as well.

This is what 2024 has done to me - the only thing I could think of when reading your amazing story - was "good lord thats like $500 worth of TP is today's world..."

That is correct. These leagues should not issue a press release until it's official.

I'm also thinking even though I have family in the Triway building the Titans should get some trips to Carrollton because my texts about Bernie Sanders were questioned. 😂

My swing voters will be the Manchester fans. Do you want Carrollton or your hated rival Coventry?

This outta be good....

**The silent flock aka Justus Junta may go for Carrollton or West Holmes or no one at all keeping the league at 7. I can't see how Fairless would be against Coventry or Springfield....but who knows what they think in the land of Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad and the former stomping grounds of my dad at Colucci's Tavern or Porrini's? Or Newt's Place where @Raylan_Givens used to hold court.
If it's just those two, then Coventry. Given some of the other options discussed here, I'd take West Holmes. West Holmes would give the league sort of an old All-Ohio Conference feel with a lot of the same schools involved. Moving away from that, Mogadore would also be a good choice even if they don't play all the sports some of the other schools do. I like Coventry from a rivalry standpoint, but I'm "old school." I was around when that was still hot and it meant something. I'm not so sure it does to the current generation.

If it's just those two, then Coventry. Given some of the other options discussed here, I'd take West Holmes. West Holmes would give the league sort of an old All-Ohio Conference feel with a lot of the same schools involved. Moving away from that, Mogadore would also be a good choice even if they don't play all the sports some of the other schools do. I like Coventry from a rivalry standpoint, but I'm "old school." I was around when that was still hot and it meant something. I'm not so sure it does to the current generation.
I don't think it would take very long for Coventry vs Manchester to heat up.

TP-ing was huge back in my day. We had organized toilet paper groups that fought weekend battles. One target of ours claimed the family's satellite dish was damaged by our effort.

Just the name alone...."Scheck's IGA" sounds tuff. That sounds like a place where they'll butcher you a steak right on the spot and throw-in a big pile of hamburger meat.

Of course no one could top Hills and no one today can top BellStores.

Last edited:
From what I read on another thread, Mogadore has bigger issues than finding a league. Just had another levy voted down.

Guess it depends on on how you look at it - add larger schools that aren't super competitive (Springfield, Coventry), a D6 school that's uber competitive in football but is having funding issues (Moggy), or go for a good school that is competitive but a tick outside of the area for everyone but Triway (West Holmes).

Suffice to say, PACtion2024™ has options, just up to league leadership to make it happen

From what I read on another thread, Mogadore has bigger issues than finding a league. Just had another levy voted down.

Guess it depends on on how you look at it - add larger schools that aren't super competitive (Springfield, Coventry), a D6 school that's uber competitive in football but is having funding issues (Moggy), or go for a good school that is competitive but a tick outside of the area for everyone but Triway (West Holmes).

Suffice to say, PACtion2024™ has options, just up to league leadership to make it happen
I don't think West Holmes is too far from The Slaw and Fairless & Orrville are even closer. Google says it's 50 minutes from BellStores Stadium to West Holmes; 42 minutes for Orrville; 45 minutes for Fairless. These projections have to be based on some slow a** drivers.

Everyone knows the school that's the farthest away from the rest of the Western Civilized world is Carrollton. They're a weird chain saw wielding cult down there.

You could always add Coventry, West Holmes, and Mogadore /Minerva/Carrollton/Team of Your Choice and go to a ten team league with a rotating schedule for football the way the MAC does. You get two out of conference games and eight league games. It would be workable and give schools an option that might not soon have one.

I don't mind the drive to West Holmes. We at Manchester (and Coventry, for that matter when they joined) made that trip a few times a year for various sports back in the old days of the All-Ohio Conference.

You could always add Coventry, West Holmes, and Mogadore /Minerva/Carrollton/Team of Your Choice and go to a ten team league with a rotating schedule for football the way the MAC does. You get two out of conference games and eight league games. It would be workable and give schools an option that might not soon have one.

I don't mind the drive to West Holmes. We at Manchester (and Coventry, for that matter when they joined) made that trip a few times a year for various sports back in the old days of the All-Ohio Conference.
I've always liked the "10 team" league setup. Split by area or by size and rotate for football + helps all the other sports fill in their schedules.

If you add Coventry & West Holmes could also add Moggy then would have something for the big & small schools + the east & west schools.

Top Cat dropping knowledge on PACtion2024™!!

I remember some early PACtion™ basketball titles coming down to some classic battles between EC v SV and EC v TV.

Pangrazio was a legend and the first coach to a be PACtion™ champs in 89-90.

scroll down to notable games. March 3 1967
Knew a guy, told me he didn't throw the crutch, he was swinging the crutch at the player that just knocked him out of bounds on top of the person with crutches, and well, he came out swinging.

While eating some thin crust at the yard down 250 I was told about how good of a qb Joe Pangrazio was I think for Denison St Mary's back in the way back day.

Joe Pangrazio LEGEND of PAC tuffness
Opinion time, what's better, Pangrazios or The Yard?

That bar was near those crossings....I do remember them...lol

500 rolls....that is nuts...I can only say this....I had a paper route and their were 2 families on my route that were going on vacation...and their daughters were the 'click girls"...had broken up with a lot of guy friends thru a 2 year time span...they were not happy...I talked them into TP'ing...knowing the vacation schedule...I got the guy friends to buy all the toilet paper...we did a wonderful job...both houses looked great...and they have to leave...so the parents asked me to clean it up and paid me....lol...everybody thought I had got caught....lol...Tuffness personified!

Last edited:
I don't think West Holmes is too far from The Slaw and Fairless & Orrville are even closer. Google says it's 50 minutes from BellStores Stadium to West Holmes; 42 minutes for Orrville; 45 minutes for Fairless. These projections have to be based on some slow a** drivers.

Everyone knows the school that's the farthest away from the rest of the Western Civilized world is Carrollton. They're a weird chain saw wielding cult down there.
I have a suggestion...Bellstore at Market and Rt 619, history in all sports with Canton South, Northwest, Tuslaw, partial with Fairless, scrimmaged Orrville and they played a state semi-final game at THEE Lake Blue Streak Stadium, played Manchester in hoops, had great battles with Triway's track team in big meets such as the Smithville Invitational, the Doyletown Invitational, and when got to the districts, just passed a levy, close to all schools...Triway would be easier to travel to Lake then them going to Carollton...piece a cake....a reunion of the Senate league.....may I present the Lake Blue Streaks!...what's not to like!..lol

Last edited:
I have a suggestion...Bellstore at Market and Rt 619, history in all sports with Canton South, Northwest, Tuslaw, partial with Fairless, scrimmaged Orrville and they played a state semi-final game at THEE Lake Blue Streak Stadium, played Manchester in hoops, had great battles with Triway's track team in big meets such as the Smithville Invitational, the Doyletown Invitational, and when got to the districts, just passed a levy, close to all schools...Triway would be easier then Carollton...piece a cake....a reunion of the Senate league.....may I present the Lake Blue Streaks!...what's not to like!..lol
😂

If Lake had 125 fewer kids from their latest total of 404, I'd say yes. There is significant history with Lake Township and PACtion schools.

The reality is....Lake hit the geography goldmine being centrally located between Akron and Canton with good schools on top of it and lots of developable land to build. Throw in a good sports tradition already in place....Lake has a lot of positives. Now I know BSO will point out that Lake has LOST enrollment since the 90s.... I do think Hoover manufacturing leaving North Canton hurt Lake and it's likely Lake just grew older as a community. The kids moved away but the parents stayed.

Jackson has many similar advantages like Lake. Jackson played good football going back to the Coach Fife years in the 50s and 60s. I did see Jackson's enrollment has been kinda stagnant for a while but it grew like a weed for years.

FYI, I did notice today the Tuslaw softball team plays Jackson and Perry.

Northwest playing Lake in football is admirable. Maybe Lake could call Canton South, too? That could be a one-off game?

IMO....Perry really doesn't have the advantages of Lake or Jackson. Similar to Fairless it's a bit too far south from Akron IMO for sustainable suburban enrollment growth unless the mills & factories in Canton & Massillon are growing. So Perry really depends on the Stark County economy being healthy. That's great when the manufacturing sector isn't getting ravaged by China, Mexico, etc. Massillon, as far as economic factors go, has done an admirable job competing as the economy has changed so much but it's very challenging. Canton has been behind the curve with not so hot city leadership. Hopefully they will one day get it together.

The other thing people don't realize about the PTO. They're kinda country in the Richville section of their school district. And that's all good but people don't really realize that. Perry is a very diverse school system. What made Keith Wakefield effective is he treated all kids from all backgrounds like crap and was demanding to everyone.

Clint Eastwood's character in Heartbreak Ridge was Keith Wakefield.

Last edited:
Top Cat and the Manchester fans here are good commentators.

I've always liked the "10 team" league setup. Split by area or by size and rotate for football + helps all the other sports fill in their schedules.

If you add Coventry & West Holmes could also add Moggy then would have something for the big & small schools + the east & west schools.

Top Cat dropping knowledge on PACtion2024™!!

PAC Game of the Year - 2002 | Manchester at Tusky Valley - The Rematch | Week 5 | September 20, 2002
This is the fourth in an ongoing series, highlighting the PAC Game of the Year in each season, from 1999 through 2023, which will lead up to the start of the 2024 high school football season. For a look back at prior summaries, click here for 1999, 2000 and 2001.

A year removed from the 2001 classic between the Panthers and the Trojans at James R. France Stadium, there was no one who was going to look past the scheduled Week 5 meeting between the same two teams in Zoarville. And safe to say, the rematch lived up to the preseason hype.

Manchester again came into the game undefeated. Tested by Copley in Week 1, the Panthers eked out a 15-14 win to get the season started. They were barely tested the next three weeks, rolling to consecutive victories over Streetsboro, Westdale, (ON) and Tuslaw by a combined 137-0.

That wouldn't be the case in Week 5. Tusky Valley dropped the season opener to perhaps the best Canton South team of the last 30 years that did not have Poochie Snyder on the roster. But the Trojans' rebounded with romps over Indian Valley, Garaway and Fairless, to set up the PAC Game of the Year at Trojan Stadium. And this one lived up to the billing.

The defenses dominated. The Trojans mustered an early first quarter field goal, and Manchester responded three minutes later after the Trojans muffed a punt at their own 7 yard line. Justin McCraney rumbled in from the 7, but like the previous year, a missed extra point would be a big part of the story. Tusky Valley's Mason Weaver blocked the PAT, and the first quarter ended with the Panthers leading 6-3. So did the second. And the third.

The Panthers defense forced three turnovers - two fumbles and a pick, and the game remained a 3-point margin entering the fourth. After another Trojan miscue in the fourth, Manchester advanced deep into Tusky Valley territory, only to breathe life back into the Trojans by fumbling the ball back to the Trojans from inside the red zone. The ensuing drive crossed midfield, but Brody Jackson seemed to ice it with another pick with just over three minutes remaining. But the twists were far from over. The Trojans forced a punt, and somehow hit a 53-yard pass all the way down to the 5 yard line. But they could not finish the drive. Remember that missed PAT? It allowed Tusky Valley to kick a short field goal and tie the game 6-6, to force overtime.

The Panthers finished regulation with 42 rushes for 178 yards on the ground. Quarterback Ryan Swain was 0 of 6 through the air. Manchester lost the coin flip and the Trojans chose to go on defense first. Two rushes yielded a loss of a yard and Manchester faced 3rd and 11 from the 21 in OT.

What came next came deep from the Trickeration Bag of head coach Jim France. The 1981 Dolphins had Strock to Harris to Nathan in the famous Hook and Ladder play against the Chargers. Twenty years later, the Manchester Panthers drew up Swain to Calvert to Feesler. Perhaps Tusky Valley should have seen it coming. Manchester ran the same play a week before against Tuslaw. But they didn't. Josh Feesler crossed the goal line, and that stingy Panthers defense held.

"It's was a play we've used quite a bit in practice," quipped France, "but not one we've run a whole lot in real game situations." Perhaps he meant with the game on the line, since it went for a TD the previous week as well. The final passing stats for Ryan Swain? 1 for 7, for nine yards, and a perfect view as a spectator for the most perfect of laterals. Sometimes, one is all you need. The Panthers won again, 13-6, and Tusky Valley would again finish the season with just one loss in conference.

The Postscript

Perhaps still reeling from the difficult loss in Week 5, the Trojans dropped a second nonconference game on the road a week later at St. Thomas Aquinas, a D5 team that finished just 3-7. The 7-3 (5-1) Tusky Valley record was not good enough for a playoff bid, even though they cruised through the rest of their PAC schedule.

What of Manchester? The defense was pretty good. How good? They didn't give up a point again until the postseason. Five straight shutouts earned them the number one seed in Region 13 and a home playoff opener. But then the unthinkable happened. They ran into a 5-5 Youngstown Ursuline team that snuck into the playoffs as the 8 seed. Those five losses? D1 St Eds, D1 Boardman, D1 Harding, eventual D3 State Champ Bishop Watterson and rock fight with Cardinal Mooney. Talk about a bad draw?

Ursuline ended the Manchester season with a 28-10 win and went on to the state semifinal before falling to Portsmouth West, who finished as state runner-up to the Kenton Wildcats.

The season ended much sooner than expected, but Manchester again proved it was the the team to beat in the PAC.

Here's the game story from the local Tusky Valley paper:

Manchester_Tusky Valley_Story1.png

Manchester_Tusky Valley_Story2.png

Manchester_Tusky Valley_Box1.png

Manchester_Tusky Valley_Box2.png

I can beat most of those time...Orrville just depends on how crazy the traffic is at Apple Creek Road and St Rt 30. That is my favorite Bellstore at that intersection FYI. There's an older lady that would wear her Ravens jersey on Sundays. That's tuffness!